Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 07-20-2005, 18:43   #1
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

Crap Moleskin.

I tried to fix a few blisters this past weekend after a ruck march. I had a whole roll of new moleskin but everyone that used it had the same problem. The stuff rolled up when the socks and boots went back on! I dont remember having these types of problems with mole skin in the past. I applied it to dry skin and I made sure it was cut into the proper shapes. Has any one else noticed that moleskin doesnt stick like it use to?
haztacmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 18:44   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Did you paint it with tincture of Benzion before you put on the moleskin?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 19:36   #3
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Did you paint it with tincture of Benzion before you put on the moleskin?
That's a memory that I could have done without

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 19:38   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
That's a memory that I could have done without
Ever had it injected into the blister?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 20:00   #5
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

NDD: I did not have bezoin available. It would have took bezoin to keep the moleskin on. I have had it injected into a blister and dont recommend it to those who have not tried it.
haztacmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 20:04   #6
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
yep...and i've injected it into the blisters of others...as i recall, you withdraw all but a little of the fluid in the blister before refilling the syringe with benzoin...it is definately better to give than receive...of course, once you quit dancing, screaming and cursing the day you were born, the blisters seem to be less of a problem...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 20:09   #7
Kyobanim

Quote:
As a matter of fact, that was my first 'experience' with an SF medic. SOB was smiling when he was done. Had to pour water on my face to hide my tears.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 20:16   #8
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
As a matter of fact, that was my first 'experience' with an SF medic. SOB was smiling when he was done.
as a buddy of mine used to say, it'll make you put back stuff you didn't steal...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 07-20-2005, 21:22   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yes. Thanks to Pat Dillon.

Sadistic swine!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:53   #10
Books
Quiet Professional

Duct tape an option?

What's the consensus on duct tape for blister prevention? I've successfully used to to prevent blisters while breaking in climbing boots, doc martins, army boots, old school snowboarding boots (sorrells w/ duct tape in the mid 1980's). I'm sold on the product. It's also mentioned in a good book called Fixing your Feet . FYF has tons of info for the ultramarathon, serious hiker, foot soldier.

But I've also heard folks warn about using duct tape. Does anyone know what their reasoning is? Is is because of the adhesive? I've heard that bonafide 100 mph tape has some form of nasty epoxy that isn't good for the skin. Good for shot up planes and helos, bad for your feet. Or, is this just an urban legend?

Or, is it because some people wrap their entire foot in the stuff?

I use Duct tape this way: I know where my usual hot spots are and place one piece just large enough to cover the are plus a bit of overhang. Usually, this means on my heels and, sometimes, on the balls of my feet. I'm usually good to go after this.

When I do get blisters, I go back to the drain, moleskin donut over the blister. I then put a small bit of medical tape over the center of the moleskin donut to protect the wound from the one piece of duct tape I put over that for protection.

I find that Duct tape stays on longer than anything else (haven't used Benzoin) and the smooth side helps reduce friction (cause of heat).

FWIW

Books,

- Jack Moroney
Old 07-21-2005, 11:01   #11
jbour13
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books
What's the consensus on duct tape for blister prevention? I've successfully used to to prevent blisters while breaking in climbing boots, doc martins, army boots, old school snowboarding boots (sorrells w/ duct tape in the mid 1980's). I'm sold on the product. It's also mentioned in a good book called Fixing your Feet . FYF has tons of info for the ultramarathon, serious hiker, foot soldier.

But I've also heard folks warn about using duct tape. Does anyone know what their reasoning is? Is is because of the adhesive? I've heard that bonafide 100 mph tape has some form of nasty epoxy that isn't good for the skin. Good for shot up planes and helos, bad for your feet. Or, is this just an urban legend?

Or, is it because some people wrap their entire foot in the stuff?

I use Duct tape this way: I know where my usual hot spots are and place one piece just large enough to cover the are plus a bit of overhang. Usually, this means on my heels and, sometimes, on the balls of my feet. I'm usually good to go after this.

When I do get blisters, I go back to the drain, moleskin donut over the blister. I then put a small bit of medical tape over the center of the moleskin donut to protect the wound from the one piece of duct tape I put over that for protection.

I find that Duct tape stays on longer than anything else (haven't used Benzoin) and the smooth side helps reduce friction (cause of heat).

FWIW

Books,
I can't say it with enough conviction.....DO NOT USE duct tape!!!!

Yes, military grade 100 MPH tape does have an epoxy like compound used as it's adhesive. It will cause soreness and will cause minor to serious skin irritations depending on your skin type.

Any time you use something that can bind and roll while walking is a bad idea and will cause more of a problem than you are trying to prevent.

100 MPH tape does have it's "expedient uses" and should only be used as such. It is not a good preventative type of material. Patching in and out bullet holes or aiding in holding your splinting material for fractures is not a bad expedient use.

V/R
SGT B

Edited to add: Use this link and absorb the wisdon the The Reaper has put forth about new boots and taking care of your feet.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...breaking+boots

Prevention is the highlight to this post!!!!

Last edited by jbour13; 07-21-2005 at 11:05.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:11   #12
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books
What's the consensus on duct tape for blister prevention?
properly fitted, well broken in boots, clean dry socks and preventative application of tincture benzoin worked for me in SFQC and Ranger School...i have rarely had blisters...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:45   #13
Books
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
properly fitted, well broken in boots, clean dry socks and preventative application of tincture benzoin worked for me in SFQC and Ranger School...i have rarely had blisters...
Roger that. The only time I got a serious blister in Selection was during a ruck during the team events when I had sweat soaked socks and no time to fix my feet. Hit times and all that. Whenever I had the time (Star, etc), I followed almost to the letter TR's advice in the link and was happier for it. That one blister though managed to get a bit mangled and pretty much hobbled me for the long walk at the end. A good lesson learned: Prevention is the KEY!

Thanks for the response jbour13. I'll stay away from 100 mph tape.

Books

- Jack Moroney
Old 07-22-2005, 11:47   #14
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Band-Aid (Johnson and Johnson) makes / distributes a pretty good product that I have used before.
http://www.bandaid.com/advanced_healing_prod.shtml

I originally found it as Compeed and have sworn by it since.

Couple of downsides: 1) It does not come in cut to shape like moleskin, but if you catch it early, the patches are generally large enough to fit. 2) It is waterproof, but will absorb water when crossing a stream or in a shower (FYI) 3) Because it is waterproof, you have to be careful when pulling it off, it will pull skin with it - I have found it better to let it almost slough off on it's own.

Positives: 1) It is waterproof 2) The edges are tapered 3) Slick surface, so it helps to reduce the friction.

Hope this was of some value to someone.

V/R,
Go For Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 22:45   #15
Detcord
Guerrilla

my philosophy is have tough feet to start with, then all you
might have to deal with is a hot spot or two at the worst.

i never liked moleskin because a blister may still develop,
and removing moleskin when there is a problem just traumatizes
the wound even more. removing the adhesive stuck around
the wound makes cleaning the wound more difficult too.

my normal setup is broken in boots, and clean socks.
occasionally, i would paint the ball and achilles area with
tincture of benzoine and put some clean socks on.

the socks will stick to the benzoine like glue, but will remove
easily when you need to change them. if the sock can't slide
against the skin, friction will be greatly reduced.

for tough skin around the achilles area, you have to walk in
boots. but, i've found the most effective way to develop thick,
tough callouses on the balls of your feet is to walk barefoot
around the house.

start developing callouses at least 2-3 months before you
will need them.
Detcord is offline   Reply With Quote