View Full Version : Special Forces Soldier awarded the Silver Star

Dan
07-14-2005, 17:45
RELEASE NUMBER: 050714-02
DATE POSTED: July 14, 2005

Special Forces Soldier awarded the Silver Star
Sgt. Joe Healy
U.S Army Special Operations Command

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, July 14, 2005) — A Special Forces Soldier was awarded the Silver Star in a ceremony at the U.S. Army Special Operations Command here July 14.

With his wife and children watching nearby, Sgt. Maj. Roderick C. Anderson, a command sergeant major assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), was received the Silver Star from Brig. Gen. (P) Gary M. Jones, commanding general, U.S. Army Special Forces Command.

Anderson received the award for exceptionally valorous achievement July 3, 2004, while serving in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan’s Kunar province.

During his remarks, Jones said he remembered Anderson as “a young sergeant” when Jones commanded the 2nd Battalion, 3rd SFG in the early 1990s.

“Anderson was communications sergeant at the time,” said Jones. “But I knew from day one that this guy was the metal that we wanted for Special Forces.”

While deployed, Anderson directed a daring combat mission in treacherous mountain conditions against anti-coalition militia, resulting in the capture of nine high-value targets.

Leading a 25-vehicle convoy, which included Special Operations assets, Afghan Security Forces and Marines, Anderson’s unit was attacked by anti-coalition forces. He immediately provided command and control for the convoy, and called in close air support. Anderson exposed himself to the enemy while firing a light anti-tank weapon, which greatly suppressed enemy fire.

Moments later, the vehicle directly behind Anderson’s was disabled. Anderson immediately stopped his vehicle and engaged the enemy, while dispatching four Soldiers to recover the downed vehicle’s sensitive signal equipment. All the signal equipment was recovered.

“I am truly honored, but more importantly I am humbled by this award,” Anderson said. “I am humbled because the guys I work with. I’ve seen what they have done on a daily basis.”

Anderson said three other Soldiers that fought in the ambush received awards for their actions.

“It was a whole lot of guys doing what was necessary,” he said.

Anderson, 40, has been with 3rd SFG since 1991.

The Silver Star is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, is cited for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

The required gallantry, while of a lesser degree than that required for the Distinguished Service Cross, must nevertheless have been performed with marked distinction.

-usasoc-

Radar Rider
07-14-2005, 18:44
Outstanding! It's great to see men like SGM Anderson be awarded for their heroism.

cant hardly
10-09-2011, 12:46

glebo
10-09-2011, 15:35
Great job CSM...there's an echo for ya..

JJ_BPK
10-09-2011, 16:33
Congratulations SGM Anderson... :lifter:lifter:lifter:lifter

greenberetTFS
10-09-2011, 17:25
Congratulations SGM Anderson... :lifter:lifter:lifter:lifter

Outstanding........

Big Teddy

jrygalski
12-06-2011, 00:09
Great Job by a Great SF Soldier! Was in C/2/3 with SGM Anderson. He was always on his A Game and obviously, still is. BG Jones' comments are right on target...

Red Flag 1
12-06-2011, 13:20
Congratulations SGM, good on ya!

RF 1