PDA

View Full Version : TMP Trauma Pack

The Reaper
06-30-2005, 15:16
Just saw the TMP Tac-Pack Trauma Packs at a recent event and picked up a couple.

The is an incredibly compact vacuum-packed, foil-wrapped, single use trauma kit that seems to me to be pretty complete, for its size.

The pack, pictured below is overall 8.25"x4.75"x1, but it folds down to 5.5"x3.5"x1".

The Standard Trauma Pack contains Latex Free Gloves, an abdominal bandage, 2 4x3s, a compression wrap, a surgical mask, Tegaderm, and tape. Once you take it out though, no way to store it that compactly again.

The Advanced adds a Tourniquet and an Angiocath.

I would give one of these to everyone on my team. Enough to help, not enough to get you into too much trouble.

www.traumapacks.com

Hope this helps.

TR

Eagle5US
06-30-2005, 17:07
Neat!

lksteve
06-30-2005, 17:12
we used to carry an additional ammo pouch as a first aid kit...looks like a couple of these would fit...yep, i think one or two per man should be issued...

swatsurgeon
07-01-2005, 16:29
myself and the 2 other tactical medicial docs I work with just submitted an article on vacuum packing our supplies,i.e., little trauma packs, IV starter kits (has 250mL bag saline, rubber tourniquet, alcohol prep pads, 2x2 gauze, op-site clear dressing, 18G IV set, etc, all in one neat vacuum sealed/shrunken bag.
Not a new concept, just a new package and good marketing on their part. Ours is customizable to each operator/operation. You guys should try it; I use a Kenmore kitchen vacuum sealer in the 5 inch wide bags and there you have it....home made kits.
You're welcome for the 'secret' .........
there are pics of the loose items then sealed packs
ss

52bravo
07-02-2005, 04:38
look good swat surgeon, i whent to the local bucther and gave him a six pack. he and i pack up my sets.
i still take sand out of my bag from iraq a year ago, so the packing is good to keep thing clearn and dry.

i dont have pic of set use/opened it all in iraq.

The Reaper
07-02-2005, 08:06
swatsurgeon:

Yours look good too, just a bit advanced for the less well trained.

The Tac-Packs are put together by a buddy who is the Chief of Trauma at an NYC hospital and seem pretty well geared to ABC for a layman.

The price, IIRC, is less than $20 each, and it is handy to have all of that stuff together in one compact package when you need it. Frankly, if you are not a medic, you are unlikely to haul anything much larger or bulkier except for SF and those truly dedicated. I did carry a personal aid kit with meds, a few instruments, and lots of IVs, but in most states, the Good Samaritan statutes end when you start puncturing the skin of a patient.

The key is to have what you are competent to use with you when you need it.

TR

swatsurgeon
07-02-2005, 11:35
"The key is to have what you are competent to use with you when you need it."

TR,
now that statement reveals true wisdom...well said.
My overall point is that kits can be 'made to order' right in your own home...if you have the basic supplies.

ss

jbour13
12-02-2005, 19:34
Gents good info for us non-qual (91 Series or 18D's).

I recently started working part time at an indoor range and had discussed with one of the managers about trauma kits. Ironically, next day we had a gentleman take the end of his finger off with a .38 snubby. Same day had an individual take the recoil of a 45-70 flat to the face. Looks like he went toe to toe with a pro boxer. :D

I'm pretty basic on skills from basic training and CLS about 3 years ago.

What would you add to the TMP Trauma Pack to better serve range ops? Only thing I can think of would be a few pouches of Quik Clot and a CPR mask. Bear in mind that this is only to stabilize (minus fluids) until EMS arrives. Money is tight but could be scraped together for this need. Hopefully we don't have to use them all to often.

Thanks gents.

Eagle5US
12-02-2005, 21:23
What would you add to the TMP Trauma Pack to better serve range ops? Only thing I can think of would be a few pouches of Quik Clot and a CPR mask.
Thanks gents.
Hmmmmm.....
Quick Clot=Badness

Eagle

Cincinnatus
12-02-2005, 22:21
Thanks, TR. Those look very interesting. Any idea which TQ they're using?

Hah, this is great. This may be the first time that I know about a really useful bit of gear before Gomez. :cool:

The Reaper
12-03-2005, 00:38
What would you add to the TMP Trauma Pack to better serve range ops? Only thing I can think of would be a few pouches of Quik Clot and a CPR mask.

More Kerlix and more compression wrap.

An IV set, if you know how to use one.

No idea which TQ, but I would get the best one I could find.

TR

Spartan359
12-03-2005, 19:16
What's the difference between a blow-out kit and the Trauma Packs that are being discussed?

NousDefionsDoc
12-03-2005, 19:25
None. Blow out kit is a Brit term. Jarheads call them FAKs. I call it "My Shit" as in "BRING ME MY SHIT NOW!" Give it a name.

Spartan359
12-03-2005, 19:30
None. Blow out kit is a Brit term. Jarheads call them FAKs. I call it "My Shit" as in "BRING ME MY SHIT NOW!" Give it a name.

:D Thanks.

jbour13
12-03-2005, 22:11
More Kerlix and more compression wrap.

An IV set, if you know how to use one.

No idea which TQ, but I would get the best one I could find.

TR

TR,

In the civic sense as soon as you do any invasive procedure without a license you'd risk additional trouble legally. The whole good samaritan thing goes out the window. TQ's are bad because we only have 2 or 3 employees that understand how to appropriately apply a TQ.

Appreciate the insight gents.

Thanks much.

The Reaper
12-03-2005, 23:08
TR,

In the civic sense as soon as you do any invasive procedure without a license you'd risk additional trouble legally. The whole good samaritan thing goes out the window. TQ's are bad because we only have 2 or 3 employees that understand how to appropriately apply a TQ.

Appreciate the insight gents.

Thanks much.

You are aware that military personnel are exempted from the frivolous lawsuit thing when treating other military personnel?

RTFQ again.

TR

jbour13
12-04-2005, 16:21
You are aware that military personnel are exempted from the frivolous lawsuit thing when treating other military personnel?

RTFQ again.

TR

Understood, this range is owned, operated, and open to the public. I just happen to be one of 2 military members working part time for extra gun money. Most patrons and employees are civilian and have minimal training (mostly Red Cross) to address minor incidents. We are happily sandwiched in between Quantico and Ft. Belvoir so we get the occasional military member.

On the TQ, I'm against it due to the fact that the untrained person could turn a minor GSW victim into an amputee.

I'll get to looking around for the posted items. Thanks again.

SwedeGlocker
12-04-2005, 22:44
You are talking about adding Quick Qlot but not a TQ? My humble suggestion is that you attent som medical training first and then start to think about caring for other.

The Reaper
12-04-2005, 23:46
Understood, this range is owned, operated, and open to the public. I just happen to be one of 2 military members working part time for extra gun money. Most patrons and employees are civilian and have minimal training (mostly Red Cross) to address minor incidents. We are happily sandwiched in between Quantico and Ft. Belvoir so we get the occasional military member.

On the TQ, I'm against it due to the fact that the untrained person could turn a minor GSW victim into an amputee.

I'll get to looking around for the posted items. Thanks again.

I started this thread with a report on a trauma pack I had seen.

Cincinnatus' asked a question which I answered by saying I did not know which TQ was used in the kit, then suggested that he get the best one available.

You jumped in to lecture me about liability. When I replied, you offered your opinion about TQ use.

Do as you wish, let Cincinnatus do as he wishes, and I will carry what I please as well.

Good luck.

TR

JPH
05-14-2006, 12:29
I hope this is in the right spot I don’t want to hijack the thread but this seems relevant…

My question to the QP’s and Doc’s is… Are there any medical supplies that should not be vacuum packed? Would vacuum packing some things compromise the existing package and thereby the contents of the package?

I ask because there are some things in my aid bag that I was going to package in to kits so that the weather and other environmental issues will not be as much of a concern…

Additional what issues involving heat and medical supplies should I be worried about? I.E. car temp, hot August days training, transport and shipping temps, and so on…
What type of temperature exposures should prompt a immediate replacement of supplies?

User note: I am and EMT-B working on my Medic license starting this August… I recently completed SRT-Medic training with a local SRT team and I am volunteering my time with them in both the training and operational environments.

Thank-you
JPH

SRT31B
05-14-2006, 16:55
Special Reaction Team, team?

Didn't know we had an SRT medic course. Where do I sign up?

JPH
05-14-2006, 19:29
SRT31B PM Inbound