PDA

View Full Version : Linguistics and SF

Griv
05-26-2005, 16:07
I recently took the DLAB at MEPS and scored an 83. I know this is not a good enough score to qualify for any languages at the DLI(?) so will I have to retake the test later in training? I know I can do 10x better on it if I retested and I want to learn a language. My recruiter and others are saying that you do not take the DLAB to pass or fail if you are 18X...a bit confusing!

Razor
05-26-2005, 17:08
I recently took the DLAB at MEPS and scored an 83...I know I can do 10x better on it if I retested and I want to learn a language.

Wow, an 830 on the DLAB would be a truly impressive score! You might be offered Klingon with that kind of performance; good luck!

Psywar1-0
05-26-2005, 17:34
I understand that the DLAB is required, and I also know that I sucked at the DLAB having never taken it till I already had a DLPT score in 2 languages. If its going to hold you up, and you have had any language training in High School then I would try and take the DLPT in that language. Just to have something on paper other than a low score on the DLAB.

Achilles
05-26-2005, 18:51
From what I head prior to enlisting... Taking the DLAB is required, but there is no minimum score for 18X entry...

I got a 121 or 124 (not sure) and I thought it was crap because my buddy got 138(bastard) and I didn't have anyone else to compare myself with. To me, it seemed more like an analytical IQ test than anything else. There's probably a good chance you could learn languages faster than I could. If you're already bilingual, then follow the route psywar suggested... If not, don't worry about it. Just give it 100% and see what happens. What we lack in aptitude we can make up for in effort. :lifter

Good luck!!

Griv
05-26-2005, 20:35
thx for the laugh razor - iv had experience with French and Spanish but only on beginner level early in Highschool. I still understand the structure of them but can remember nada as far as holding a conversation. Guess they will make sure i get what i need to get done.

D9 (RIP)
06-01-2005, 13:20
A guy in my Arabic class got an 85 on the DLAB and he's doing just fine. Don't let a low score discourage you too much.

Griv
06-02-2005, 15:16
thx D9 for that inside intel - my recruiter obv doesnt know what hes talking about -- who would have thought :eek:

Roguish Lawyer
06-02-2005, 16:18
A guy in my Arabic class got an 85 on the DLAB and he's doing just fine. Don't let a low score discourage you too much.

Sounds like needs of the Army.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab.htm

SnafuRacer
06-02-2005, 17:40
I took the DLAB at Ft Benning, and scored an 85. The lady said that I'd most certainly wouldn't be given any "choice" languages, since my brain doesn't have the capability to process hard languages. Obviously, she didn't know that my brain was able to process Arabic and French at that time fluently, in addition to English that I learned in this country, and German and Spanish that I had passing proficiency in. Some of these idiots baffle me. A language is like riding a bike. You don't forget it, but you have to use it or lose it. I've been in San Diego 4 years already, and forgot almost all my german. :boohoo

FrankS
06-20-2005, 21:22
Ja genau ich bin shon fuer 20 so jahren in den staten und langsam verliereh mein Deutsh.

Frank

Airbornelawyer
06-21-2005, 10:57
The dumbest knucklehead who grew up in Shanghai speaks Mandarin better than 90% of DLI grads. Anyone can learn any language if immersed in it; sometimes it is just harder for you to unlearn habits from your own language. The DLAB doesn't measure aptitude to learn languages so much as aptitude to unlearn English - to move beyond the habits and shortcuts you picked up over the years of speaking English and see the patterns that make learning a structurally different language possible.

Peregrino
06-21-2005, 12:10
It's an admin requirement. As long as you take the test, I wouldn't worry about the score. Personally I've never seen where score correlated with actual aptitude. Mine was an 89. I've had a 3/3 in Spanish since I left DLI in 83. Other guys who went for more difficult languages have similar stories to tell. If Group wants/needs you to learn a language - they'll spend the money to make it happen. You do your part and the Army will have to give you language proficiency pay for the rest of your career (extra beer money). FWIW - When I went out there to go to school I was told by the instructors that the DLAB was originally developed by the State Department to measure language aptitude but they quit using it because it was not a reliable indicator of potential and definitely not worth the money they spent developing and administering it. According to my source the Army promptly took to it like a cult religion and now we can't get rid of it. I don't know how true that statement was but it passed my common sense filters. We've all seen similar things with "good ideas" that some bureaucrat has invested his name in that now can't be killed with a stake through the heart. My .02 - Peregrino

AmericanPride
06-28-2005, 14:21
If D9 can pass Arabic you should be good to go. He can't even stand up straight and walk at the same time. :D

Prester John
06-28-2005, 14:57
When I signed my contract I was told I didn't even need to take the DLAB. They said it would be administered at a later date. All 18X candidates will study languages of some sort, so it wasn't important to determine proficiency at enlistment.

lksteve
06-28-2005, 18:10
When I signed my contract I was told I didn't even need to take the DLAB. They said it would be administered at a later date. All 18X candidates will study languages of some sort, so it wasn't important to determine proficiency at enlistment.what part of Defense Language Aptitude Battery has to do with proficiency? :munchin

Prester John
06-28-2005, 21:02
what part of Defense Language Aptitude Battery has to do with proficiency? :munchin

Touche, sir. I mistakenly used the wrong word. "Aptitude" was what I meant.

Achilles
06-29-2005, 11:18
Broadsword:

I believe that you USED to have to pass the DLAB with an 85 to be admitted to the SFQC. That is no longer the case (according to the latest information available to me). Most information pertaining to the 18X program available on the internet (SOCNET among other sites) is outdated by at least a year.

Prester John:

I believe "loosely projected aptitude" is the phrase you are looking for. :D

HTH

lksteve
06-29-2005, 13:42
I believe that you USED to have to pass the DLAB with an 85 to be admitted to the SFQC. well, actually, i had to pass the ALAB... :eek:

Ammodawg
01-12-2006, 03:54
Just for clarification, I was told last week by an Army recruiter that I needed an 80 or better on the DLAB test to qualify for a chance at going to SFAS. I just took mine today and scored a 108, not sure how "good" that is, but I was happy that the SF door is still open for me :lifter

FearMonkey
01-12-2006, 14:15
85 for a Category I language (Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish)

90 for a Category II language (German)

95 for a Category III language (Belorussian, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Polish, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak, Tagalog [Filipino], Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese)

100+ for a Category IV language (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean)
------------

I'm with Achilles on this one, now-a-days it doesn't matter what your score is for the DLAB. You can keep your 18X contract even if you bomb it (assuming you meet all the other requirements!). Also, despite myths about not being able to study for the DLAB, there is a way... I did it!

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab.htm

elmntskater1588
01-12-2006, 14:34
I took the DLAB but never got my scores back. My recruiter , Either, doesnt know how to get them or doesnt want to get them. Im a DEP for another 6 months so I have the ako account with out all the nifty features. Is it possible to get my scores?:confused:

NousDefionsDoc
01-12-2006, 17:01
I took the DLAB but never got my scores back. My recruiter , Either, doesnt know how to get them or doesnt want to get them. Im a DEP for another 6 months so I have the ako account with out all the nifty features. Is it possible to get my scores?:confused:
No. Go do PT.

elmntskater1588
01-12-2006, 18:30
Roger that NDD.

rwt_bkk
01-17-2006, 20:05
Can't answer your question about the current requirements. I think SF is smart enough to know that some of those test are not "real worl". WAY Back before DLAT there was the ALAT. I got a 6 on it because I fell asleep during the test.

I only had very basic HS French and German (almost flunked both), later in Vietnam I learn a tribal language on my own.

Much later I moved to Thailand, I speak fluent Thai. After being here for a couple of years I returned to the states and studied Linguistics for a couple of semesters. On entry into the program I was given a tone test. I flunked! But at the time I was fluent in Thai (most Thais think I am a Thai when I first speak to them on the telephone).

A lot of things effect test scores - how awake you are, stress and who host of external factors. The real world is a different case.

I agree with NDD, get you head down and prepare for what you know is coming - this will sort itself out in time.

Scorpion6
02-11-2006, 12:01
It seems in my experience so far, that the DLAB is just another box to check for the Army. Psyop guys have to take the DLAB as well, despite the fact that only active guys are required languages like SF. but the DLAB doesnt determine your language, the need of the Army does. the language course at Bragg is not DLI, and even if it was, as long as you study hard and are determined youll manage just fine on whatever language youre given. so take your 85 or whatever, brush it aside and drive on.

Daver
02-11-2006, 20:14
I recently took the DLAB at MEPS and scored an 83. I know this is not a good enough score to qualify for any languages at the DLI(?) so will I have to retake the test later in training? I know I can do 10x better on it if I retested and I want to learn a language. My recruiter and others are saying that you do not take the DLAB to pass or fail if you are 18X...a bit confusing!

Baby steps first! One day at a time! From what I can tell, you haven't even started Basic training? Am I correct? If so, worry about that first, then Airborne School, then SOPC, then SFAS, and then you can start worrying about your DLAB. If you're that concerned, ask the recruiter to show you "IN WRITING" where it says this score is "REQUIRED/NOT REQUIRED" to get an 18X contract. You will learn the meaning of "IN WRITING" soon enough.

Griv
02-28-2006, 15:56
Im surprised this topic is still alive! Well I have been taking baby steps Daver and now im currently waiting for PLDC/BNCOC out at lovely Camp Mckall! Got selected with class 003-06 and i now know that they dont count the DLAB for nothing! I have to learn Korean! Haha. Im looking forward to my next step. As far as the DLAB - I did have to retake it again out at SFAS. I heard the reason was because i was under the 85 score limit. But others said they still scored under 85 and still have a language so big question mark for this topic.

Stiletto11
02-28-2006, 16:08
Daver

I responded to your PM, just wanted to make sure you got it. One shot at a time.