PDA

View Full Version : GPS tutorial

lksteve
04-15-2005, 11:01
there is a lot of information out there about GPS, its potential precision, its limitations, its applications...here's a website that can allay the fears of some, reinforce the suspicions of others, and give insight to those who are interested.

http://www.trimble.com/gps/

Desert Fox
04-16-2005, 11:08
Here is a good power point document about the datum stuff (or what made me think I was always 200m off when I debriefed with the GPS recorded route!!).
https://www.navigator.navy.mil/navigator/coordinates.ppt

ender
04-17-2005, 14:25
If anyone gets stuck teaching/learning PLGR. There's a program out there, that replicates the GPS itself. Which saves you from reading the ever so simply designed manual, and spending hours punching in random buttons.

As a result I could fire it up, change it from FIX to CONT. Plug in all the datum. Do direct nav, or setup a route, and adjust my alerts accordingly. And the "mark, mark" process. Jeez, I wish I knew about that years ago. Typing in the Grid Zone designator, and 100 000m identifier over and over was an annoyance to say the least.

...Now, if i can just remember it all....

On another note. Anyone trial the DAGR yet? Is it as userfriendly as the PLGR? :rolleyes:

Martin
04-17-2005, 14:38
Ender, perhaps you'd want to share the name of this program, or where it can be found?

ender
04-20-2005, 19:40
Not sure the name of the program. I'd be tempted to guess it's made by Rockwell Collins though. "Inversion Trainer", rings a bell, but probably isn't right. I'll do some digging.

Edited to say: I googled and got the Rockwell site. I'm pretty sure this is the program we used. It doesnt' ring a bell, but the right answer never does.

"Keyboard Menu Definition Editor"

CSB
04-20-2005, 20:45
Any 5th Group members who want a class to fill an afternoon give me a PM. I've taught GPS as a guest speaker at Austin Peay State University (that's Clarksville, for the non-Ft. Campbell guys), was trained by Trimble, and critiqued the FAA web site resulting in a change to their description of the GPS system.*

*And exactly what is the difference between triangulation and trilateration, anyway?