Old 04-15-2005, 11:01   #1
lksteve
Quiet Professional

GPS tutorial

there is a lot of information out there about GPS, its potential precision, its limitations, its applications...here's a website that can allay the fears of some, reinforce the suspicions of others, and give insight to those who are interested.

http://www.trimble.com/gps/
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:08   #2
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Here is a good power point document about the datum stuff (or what made me think I was always 200m off when I debriefed with the GPS recorded route!!).
https://www.navigator.navy.mil/navig...oordinates.ppt
Old 04-17-2005, 14:25   #3
ender
Asset

If anyone gets stuck teaching/learning PLGR. There's a program out there, that replicates the GPS itself. Which saves you from reading the ever so simply designed manual, and spending hours punching in random buttons.

As a result I could fire it up, change it from FIX to CONT. Plug in all the datum. Do direct nav, or setup a route, and adjust my alerts accordingly. And the "mark, mark" process. Jeez, I wish I knew about that years ago. Typing in the Grid Zone designator, and 100 000m identifier over and over was an annoyance to say the least.

...Now, if i can just remember it all....

On another note. Anyone trial the DAGR yet? Is it as userfriendly as the PLGR?
Old 04-17-2005, 14:38   #4
Martin

Ender, perhaps you'd want to share the name of this program, or where it can be found?
Old 04-20-2005, 19:40   #5
ender
Asset

Not sure the name of the program. I'd be tempted to guess it's made by Rockwell Collins though. "Inversion Trainer", rings a bell, but probably isn't right. I'll do some digging.

Edited to say: I googled and got the Rockwell site. I'm pretty sure this is the program we used. It doesnt' ring a bell, but the right answer never does.

"Keyboard Menu Definition Editor"

Last edited by ender; 04-20-2005 at 19:59. Reason: google is your friend
ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 20:45   #6
CSB
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb GPS Training

Any 5th Group members who want a class to fill an afternoon give me a PM. I've taught GPS as a guest speaker at Austin Peay State University (that's Clarksville, for the non-Ft. Campbell guys), was trained by Trimble, and critiqued the FAA web site resulting in a change to their description of the GPS system.*

*And exactly what is the difference between triangulation and trilateration, anyway?
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote