PDA

View Full Version : Crucible Steel

Bill Harsey
04-07-2005, 19:19
Beginning tommorrow morning at 9:00 am I'll be spending the entire weekend with the guys from Crucible Steel (Syracuse New York).
These guys are the ones who make the CPM S-30V steel we pioneered in the Yarborough knife.

This is my annual "update" course on steels and heat treat.

I'll try to check in here early morning before we get going in case anyone has any questions.

alphamale
04-07-2005, 20:03
Mr. Harsey,

Could you get the scoop on what they are doing with 154cm ?

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
04-08-2005, 07:14
Mr. Harsey,

Could you get the scoop on what they are doing with 154cm ?

FrontSight

I already have that.

alphamale
04-09-2005, 00:08
Oh for goodness sakes, I've been trying to find that out for weeks and here Mr. Smarty-Pants already has it!

Dish the dirt sir!

Pleeeeeease? Tell me tell me.

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
04-09-2005, 08:03
Oh for goodness sakes, I've been trying to find that out for weeks and here Mr. Smarty-Pants already has it!

Dish the dirt sir!

Pleeeeeease? Tell me tell me.

FrontSight
OK.

Ambush Master
04-09-2005, 10:11
OK.

I can see it comming !!!! ONE WORD AT A TIME !!!!! :D

mumbleypeg
04-09-2005, 11:32
LOL. :munchin

12B4S
04-09-2005, 22:59
[QUOTE=Ambush Master]I can see it comming !!!! ONE WORD AT A TIME !!!!! [/QUOTE

Yeah AM. At least from Bill. Do you think FS can pull that off? :D
The way this thread is going, it's a good thing the bags of popcorn are endless.

alphamale
04-09-2005, 23:26
::mild priss tone::

You will alllllllllllllll be edified to know, that I spoke with one Mr. William Harsey Jr. ce soir, and he handed me to the pre-eminent steel expert from Crucible who proceeded to explain attributes of the new 154cm.

Yeah AM. At least from Bill. Do you think FS can pull that off? :D Oh yeah 12B?? See if I tell! :lifter It'll cost ya now !

FrontSight

12B4S
04-10-2005, 03:04
::mild priss tone::

You will alllllllllllllll be edified to know, that I spoke with one Mr. William Harsey Jr. ce soir, and he handed me to the pre-eminent steel expert from Crucible who proceeded to explain attributes of the new 154cm.

Oh yeah 12B?? See if I tell! :lifter It'll cost ya now !

FrontSight

SEE!!! Knew she couldn't come back with a one word response. :D
Edified? FS I'm already proficient at edification. Ok Ok, so it took a couple decades. Think my slip ups were just the morality part of the definition. :rolleyes:
It always "costs" me, to respond to your posts. I have to type.....!!!
Just noticed, that lifter guy has screech arms.

BTW, How can there be a new 154 cm when 154 cm is just that, 154 cm? Just a tad over 60 inches. jeeeez... ;)

Bill Harsey
04-10-2005, 07:36
There is a new 154CM Tool Steel being made by Crucible Specialty Tool Steels in Syracuse New York.

It's being made by Crucible's Particle Metal process and I've had it in my shop long before the announcement was made public.

The new stuff is the same chemical composition of alloys as the old 154CM but made in a way that the carbide distribution within the matrix of the steel is radically changed.

Some of the mechanical properties of the new Particle Metal 154CM compared to the old traditional melted and rolled 154CM are:
Ultimate tensile strength is higher, more tranverse bend fracture strength and using the same heat treat, at least one more point hardness on the Rockwell "C" hardness scale which should mean a bit more edge holding.
I haven't yet been able to do the edge holding tests.
Because of the superior fine grain structure, the ability to high polish this steel with no macro grain structure showing is incredible.

I wanted FS to hear this stuff directly from the guy who makes it because there will be a test to see if she listens to him like she does me. :D The poor guy came back looking pretty ragged after speaking to her...

Edited to add:
CPM S-30V remains King when it comes to toughness and edge holding because of it's vanadium content which 154CM does not have.
The reason for the new Particle Metal 154CM was to provide a superior tool steel for custom knives which could be mirror finished which is almost impossible with CPM S-30V and its vanadium carbides.
Vanadium carbides are so hard they are off the Rockwell hardness charts and one has to use the Vickers Scale of hardness to measure them. This is why it's very difficult to grind and high polish the CPM S-30V.

jatx
04-10-2005, 07:59
Bill, your knifemaking skills are so well-established that they require little comment from the likes of me, but you would of made one helluva teacher, too. :)

mcgrubbs
04-10-2005, 11:36
Mr. Harsey,

I just recieved a knife with a CPM-S30V blade. I know basically nothing about this steel, and am not a great knife sharpener.

Could you talk a bit about proper sharpening of it?? Method and preferred stone(s)??

Thanks for your time.

Team Sergeant
04-10-2005, 11:47
Mr. Harsey,

I just recieved a knife with a CPM-S30V blade. I know basically nothing about this steel, and am not a great knife sharpener.

Could you talk a bit about proper sharpening of it?? Method and preferred stone(s)??

Thanks for your time.

mcgrubbs,

I'm feeling nice today, but that could change in few seconds.

Fill out your profile, read the rules, follow the instructions.

Learn how to use the "search" button, it is your friend. Mr Harsey (and the rest of us) do not want to go through "how to sharpen a knife" again.

Let me know when you've read the Professional Soldiers board rules.....

Team Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Special Forces
(ret)

mcgrubbs
04-10-2005, 12:13
Team Sargeant,

Roger.

Kit Carson
04-13-2005, 18:59
S30V sure has my vote. 90% of the knives I make are with it. I also use D2, and have several of the CPM154CM in the works. Anxious to test them out.

Hiya FrontSight :)

Razor
04-13-2005, 21:24
Aw geez, Mr. Carson. It's been blissfully quiet around here lately; don't get her going again. ;)

12B4S
04-13-2005, 22:02
Razor. Do you think Mr Carson woke her up? :eek:

Razor
04-14-2005, 09:15
Ssshh! ::whisper:: Don't...make...a...sound...and...maybe...we'll...b e...safe.::whisper:: ;)

Kit Carson
04-14-2005, 17:42
Don't worry guys, she's probably still sitting in the shop, reading all those magazine articles those nice folks wrote about her :)

12B4S
04-14-2005, 21:02
Don't worry guys, she's probably still sitting in the shop, reading all those magazine articles those nice folks wrote about her :)

Yeah Kit. American Handgunner, page 62. Doubt anyone out here doesn't have that info seared in the brain. Don't mention this to FS, but today I was in a grocery store, noticed about 8 copies of the magazine and dogeared PAGE 62. Don't know what got into me.

Yeah Razor, so far so good. I type quietly. :D

Razor
04-15-2005, 08:21
Don't mention this to FS, but today I was in a grocery store, noticed about 8 copies of the magazine and dogeared PAGE 62. Don't know what got into me.

It hurts to see a good man gone bad. ;)

12B4S
04-16-2005, 00:59
LOL. I'm expecting a commission on all HAK sales out of the Phoenix area. Not to mention adequate compensation for "pain and suffering" due to paper cuts. :D

alphamale
04-17-2005, 15:45
Aw geez, Mr. Carson. It's been blissfully quiet around here lately; don't get her going again. ;)Now Kit, Don't pay that Razor person no mind. He's just being a devilish instigator. I, having supreme self control, gleefully refused to be baited. :p

Don't worry guys, she's probably still sitting in the shop, reading all those magazine articles those nice folks wrote about her :)Sir Kit was the very first person to give me the heads-up about the Handgunner article. I'm like, "No way!" I didn't think they would actually run it!

Yeah Kit. American Handgunner, page 62. Doubt anyone out here doesn't have that info seared in the brain. Now I am sure that clear communication of an op is an important thing!

Don't mention this to FS, but today I was in a grocery store, noticed about 8 copies of the magazine and dogeared PAGE 62. Don't know what got into me. Yayyyyyyyyyyy! 12B, my hero !!! :lifter

That just makes me lizard squiggle and all!!

FrontSight

12B4S
04-18-2005, 00:54
This was either Razor's or Kit's fault. My typing is a clandestine/quiet type deal. I didn't wake her. That said, I'll have a chat with them.

Damn FS! Shhhhhhhhh! Your going to get me in deep scheisse with these SF types. I'm a little out of practice with these guys. Then again, it comes back fast. Hell, I used to instigate that type of stuff. :munchin

12B4S
04-18-2005, 01:24
Now I am sure that clear communication of an op is an important thing!
(FS QUOTE)

Lol, well put. However FS, don't be confusing your style of "clear communication" with us guys. "Clear Communication" from a fem??
Hmm, sometimes! Just have to duck the airborne porceline bunny. Or whatever she may decide to throw my way. At least my once GF then wife, now again GF doesn't have a handgun. :eek:
BTW. Welcome back.

alphamale
04-18-2005, 06:58
However FS, don't be confusing your style of "clear communication" with us guys. "Clear Communication" from a fem??Yes, I've found my whip or a club (bam-bam-bam!) to be a facilitator of clear communication with XYs. Or occasionally snapping fingers in front of face and saying "FOCUS!"

Speaking of clear communication, I called Mr. Harsey on his brand new cell phone and he was talking with the Team Sergeant on his land line. So of course I said, "Hey, let me say Hi to the Team Sergeant!" I then tried to explain to Mr. Harsey how to put the ear piece of his land phone up to the mouthpiece of his cell phone so that I could say Hi to the Team Sergeant. I don't know that we ever got this to work, and told Mr. Harsey that he clearly needed remedial instruction in this area. I think Mr. Harsey got all flustered over this notion. Or at least it made him giggle. :lifter :D :lifter

FrontSight

12B4S
04-18-2005, 22:30
(bam-bam-bam!)?? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you didn't get to talk to TS. Then again, perhaps he heard you, but those ear/mouth pieces just didn't line up properly. Cell phones are pretty small these days. OR. TS was ignoring you. Nah, he wouldn't do that. ;)

alphamale
04-19-2005, 06:39
12B, absolutely not. The Team Sergeant is way too sweet, kind and good-hearted to do that. Plus, he undoubtedly fears the wrath of the She-Monster with red fingernails sharpened to daggars as per the sharpening instructions from one William Harsey Jr. :lifter !!!

(Mr. Harsey, you are sooooooooooooooo lucky I have work deadline this morning because I'm feeling massively hyperactive!)

FrontSight

Cincinnatus
04-19-2005, 07:06
Hey FS,

That should be "daggers" and btw you misspelled "waylaid" in another thread. Spelling counts young lady. :p :D

12B4S
04-19-2005, 23:45
12B, absolutely not. The Team Sergeant is way too sweet, kind and good-hearted to do that. Plus, he undoubtedly fears the wrath of the She-Monster with red fingernails sharpened to daggars as per the sharpening instructions from one William Harsey Jr. :lifter !!!

(Mr. Harsey, you are sooooooooooooooo lucky I have work deadline this morning because I'm feeling massively hyperactive!)

FrontSight

Oh, I'm sure TS undoubtedly does. :rolleyes:

Geez Bill, her nails looked sharp enough before any custom sharpening advice. And you were asking awhile back, which one of us had taught FS about Claymores. :D