PDA

View Full Version : Selected or Not?

elmntskater1588
03-03-2005, 14:03
Whats the difference in the Soldier that complets SFAS and gets selected, than the Soldier who completes SFAS and doesnt get selected?

Pete
03-03-2005, 14:11
Whats the difference in the Soldier that complets SFAS and gets selected, than the Soldier who completes SFAS and doesnt get selected?

One gets to try and make it through the course.

Pete

The Reaper
03-03-2005, 14:25
The other returns to his unit to try again later (Non-Selected), or go away and never come back (NTR=Never To Return).

TR

elmntskater1588
03-03-2005, 14:50
I mean, why would someone who completes SFAS not be selected to continue on in training?

Pete
03-03-2005, 14:55
I mean, why would someone who completes SFAS not be selected to continue on in training?

Sometimes Stud Muffins in SFAS are like cookies in the oven. They're just not ready to come out yet.

Pete

Dustin03
03-03-2005, 14:56

"surviving isn't selection" got that from a website put up by an SF soldier somewhere, not sure if he is a memeber on here.

as far as i can say, if you're just "sandbagging", or you got a case of that asian desiese, "draggin' ass" then why should they select you? PPl that just aim for the bare minimum probably dont last to long.

I dont plan on slowing down one step as soon as i step foot on ft. bragg, gonna be all out wide open balls to the wall, at every task im given. no need for less then 110%

The Reaper
03-03-2005, 14:59

The same reason that sitting through four years of college does not necessarily give you a degree.

As long as you show up for every event, and pass some of them, you can continue in the SFAS class.

It is called SELECTION AND ASSESSMENT. Sticking around through the course means that you have been assessed. It does not mean that you have been selected.

This seems pretty obvious to me, do you still not get it?

TR

elmntskater1588
03-03-2005, 15:05
I understand fully, thanks.

Razor
03-03-2005, 16:10
I dont plan on slowing down one step as soon as i step foot on ft. bragg, gonna be all out wide open balls to the wall, at every task im given. no need for less then 110%

And you will quickly learn your first lesson in decision-making for SF guys. Sometimes, taking a short moment to assess a situation and quickly make a semi-informed decision will reap far better results than to employ brute force. I think your Land Nav practical exercises will help you in this regard.

Its very similar to the old joke of two bulls sitting on a hill, overlooking a herd of cows. The young, strong bull looks at the old, scarred bull and says, "Let's charge down this hill and [mate with] a couple of those cows." The older bull shakes its head and says, "No, let's WALK down this hill and [mate with] ALL of them."

Dustin03
03-03-2005, 18:13
ok, but after the decision making, then it's go time, right?
OR do you find it more often then not that it's better to stop and double check yourslef, like as in an assesment of how things are going?

There may be something valuable here to learn, and i'm all ears err eyes :munchin

Pete
03-03-2005, 18:28
OR do you find it more often then not that it's better to stop and double check yourslef, like as in an assesment of how things are going?

You think it's a good idea to jump out of an airplane with the boys so the plane takes off. You've made up your mind, you really are going to do it. The boys are moving to the door and start jumping out. Just as you get to the door you notice you forgot to put a parachute on. Well PL, wha'cha' goin'na do now? :munchin

Pete

Dustin03
03-03-2005, 18:35
look for a spare laying around, if not then i guess i'm SOL. land with the plane and buy them all beer cause i was an idiot that forgot a parachute.

Pete
03-03-2005, 18:46
look for a spare laying around, if not then i guess i'm SOL. land with the plane and buy them all beer cause i was an idiot that forgot a parachute.

A guy who was SF material would have checked his chute before he got on the plane. That way he never would be placed in a compromising position. So why did you get on that plane with no parachute? Well I, well I, well I. Well you what?

Pete

Dustin03
03-03-2005, 18:51
to me i just dont see how i would forget something like a parachute for a jump. just dont make much sense to me. i do see your point tho.

i have seen guys forget parts of their ceremonial uniform for funerals i've done in the past. that resulted in extra pt time for the entire honor guard team.

have you seen anything like this actually happen?

NousDefionsDoc
03-03-2005, 23:17
Jesus, Mary and Joseph! It's not about the damn parachute or even the airplane.

It's about getting a partner you would want to run with. Well, that and sharp pointy sticks.

Go do PT.

Dustin03
03-04-2005, 01:00
will go beat my face appropriatly in the morn, 0600. plus it's drill weekend, hooah :lifter

The Reaper
03-04-2005, 09:22
to me i just dont see how i would forget something like a parachute for a jump. just dont make much sense to me. i do see your point tho.

i have seen guys forget parts of their ceremonial uniform for funerals i've done in the past. that resulted in extra pt time for the entire honor guard team.

have you seen anything like this actually happen?

http://www.aarrgghh.com/no_way/noChute.htm

I have jumped this drop zone.

Yes, I wore my parachute.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-04-2005, 10:49

There may be something valuable here to learn, and i'm all ears err eyes :munchin

Go back and read Pete's post on situational awareness. Decisions made are usually part of a analytical process where you take the best available information, develop several courses of action and go with the one which gives you the best chance of success. The process does not stop there but it is dynamic and you have to be able to adjust to changing situations as they occur. This may sound like a long and complex process but it becomes pretty automatic once you understand it. As it sounds right now you seem fairly indecisive and appear to be running around in circles. Keep that up at an ever increasing speed as things get more and more complex for you and you are going to dissappear into your own 4th POC.

Jack Moroney

The Reaper
03-04-2005, 11:31
We call this adaptive thinking, and our psychs tell me that we select for it. We want people who thrive in ambiguous situations, and make good decisions in grey areas, lacking full-information, when they are tired, hungry, etc. Our operating environment in Special Forces is full of those very situations. Guerrillas, intel sources, etc. are the people we deal with, and many of them are involved in unsavory activities. You will be forced to work with these people to accomplish the mission. When you call back to check with higher, they are going to want a SITREP after you are done, or a recommendation, not a complaint about something that is going on. Some of the events will require negotiation, and some you will have to disengage from and report it. You will have to determine which is which and deal with it, or you are going to have a bad rep as an indecisive and inflexible SF soldier.

The psychs also say that we select another group, but they cannot explain how. The average person has a high performance curve in low-stress situations, and it decreases under pressure. The soldiers we graduate tend to be "stress-innoculated", and do not perform strongly until the stress goes up. Then SF soldiers do better than they did with no pressure. This is a very unusual phenomenon. They have found that in high-stress situations, like SERE, with a measurement of stress hormones as an indicator, the SF guys are consistently less stressed than other SOF soldiers, to include Rangers and SOAR personnel.

Not everyone has these characteristics, but that is who we want, and who we are looking for.

TR

Jack Army
03-27-2005, 14:04
The psychs also say that we select another group, but they cannot explain how. The average person has a high performance curve in low-stress situations, and it decreases under pressure. The soldiers we graduate tend to be "stress-innoculated", and do not perform strongly until the stress goes up. Then SF soldiers do better than they did with no pressure. This is a very unusual phenomenon. They have found that in high-stress situations, like SERE, with a measurement of stress hormones as an indicator, the SF guys are consistently less stressed than other SOF soldiers, to include Rangers and SOAR personnel.TR

I think I am in this group. Without something to spur me on, I sit on my ass and turn into a dud. I am in just such a low-stress situation now and it is extremely hard for me to do anything. In fact, it is a major struggle just to get out of bed, I mean, what for?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, just wishing that I had a mission.

kusinagaraDB
03-27-2005, 17:10
Nevermind. Edited because I said something stupid.

lksteve
03-27-2005, 19:31
I think I am in this group. Without something to spur me on, I sit on my ass and turn into a dud. I am in just such a low-stress situation now and it is extremely hard for me to do anything.

it sounds like one of two things to me, Jack...it's either depression or a lack of self discipline...IMNSHO.... :lifter

Jack Army
03-29-2005, 11:11
it sounds like one of two things to me, Jack...it's either depression or a lack of self discipline...IMNSHO.... :lifter

Could be a combination. I've suspected the former, known the latter. What has frustrated me is that I am in a place that allows the latter. But, I've reached a tipping point and I'm not letting a lack of self discipline stop me from doing what I should... or what I could.

As always, leave it to a QP to bluntly tell ya like it is. I miss being around Soldiers of high integrity and high standards.

Thanks.

lksteve
03-29-2005, 11:25
Could be a combination. I've suspected the former, known the latter.

As always, leave it to a QP to bluntly tell ya like it is. I miss being around Soldiers of high integrity and high standards.

Thanks.

you're welcome...i'm not a psych, wasn't a medic, so the opinion comes from a demo man/cum ossifer/cum field grade...but were i you, i would start working out somehow, someway...force the situation...make it happen...that's all i know how to do...

hang in there...

ender
03-30-2005, 14:54
I think I am in this group. Without something to spur me on, I sit on my ass and turn into a dud. I am in just such a low-stress situation now and it is extremely hard for me to do anything. In fact, it is a major struggle just to get out of bed, I mean, what for?

Your mission is whatever you want it to be. Whatever goal you've set for yourself, is your mission. One of many you'll have to accomplish in order to achieve the aim.

The question is how bad do you want it?

This is something I ask myself everyday. How bad do I want it. Do I want to spend another year in Battalion or do I want to disappear into the SOF world next January. And this is why I'm gonna go PT now. So I can max my Cooper's Test by July.

So, how bad do you want it?