PDA

View Full Version : Carter proposes sweeping changes to military command structure

Pete
04-06-2016, 06:23
Carter proposes sweeping changes to military command structure

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/carter-proposes-sweeping-changes-to-military-command-structure/article/2587717

"Defense Secretary Ash Carter is planning some major changes to how the military is organized in an effort to make it more agile and efficient, and more responsive to modern conflicts.

Carter on Tuesday previewed reforms he hopes to push forward this year to Goldwater Nichols, the 30-year-old law that governs how the military reports to the Pentagon and how geographic combatant commands are organized..."

You guys a little bit higher up on the food chain - good idea or not?

The below sounds good but....

"..."Instead of combining these commands to the detriment of our friends, our allies, and in fact our own command and control capabilities, we intend to be more efficient by integrating functions like logistics, intelligence, and plans across the Joint Staff, the combatant commands, and subordinate commands, eliminating redundancies wherever we find them without losing capability," he said...."

sinjefe
04-06-2016, 07:42
I'll believe that there will be less GO/FOs when I see it. Just a bunch of deck chairs being rearranged to make it look like they are doing something "sweeping"

Tree Potato
04-06-2016, 20:58
Sounds like a move to insert the joint staff more directly in the chain of command and centralize control into the 5 sided correctional facility, probably through matrixed functions with the JS pulling the strings. What could go wrong?

Box
04-07-2016, 07:20
It sounds like, instead of having 4-Stars reporting to the SecDef, the services can just have some 3-stars reporting to the Chairman...
...that will free up a lot of extra time for more important business if the SecDef does not have to deal directly with GCC issues any longer.

Then once his schedule is cleared up a bit, maybe we will finally get to see some meaningful progress on women, gays, and transgenders in direct combat roles and tactical/strategic leadership positions.

I think this will be good for everyone.