PDA

View Full Version : Options? Did I screw myself?

Eagle5US
01-12-2016, 16:15
I bought a Para Ordinance Wharthog (3in 1911, 10+1 in .45) at a pawn shop ($499)

Took it to the range today - multiple failure to fires, hammer does not stay back when slide cycles and will not fire unless hammer is fully back.

Went back to said pawn shop and the "gun guy" was off today. Left him a note.

Never had an issue with a used firearm before. Thoughts?

Thx-

Joe

Old Dog New Trick
01-12-2016, 16:26
Broken sear or hammer. Should be cheap fix. Would not shoot it again until inspected and fixed. Might go full auto on you.

My uneducated opinion

Eagle5US
01-12-2016, 16:27
. Might go full auto on you.

My uneducated opinion
Uneducated or not...there was a "double fire" that occurred today while at the range...:munchin

Team Sergeant
01-12-2016, 16:29
The 1911, was state of the art, one hundred and five years ago..... enjoy.

:munchin

Eagle5US
01-12-2016, 16:33

LOL...
Thanks Boss...

Team Sergeant
01-12-2016, 16:38
I've been saying it for over a decade now......

You would only buy a model T to look at as artwork and drive on very rare occasions.....

Why would you purchase a pistol that the design has not changed in 105 years? (And neither have the malfunctions)

If you're in dire need of a real pistol I've got a couple I'd be happy to lend you, they are "state of the art".

Tell me doc, do you still employ 105 year old medicine?

miclo18d
01-12-2016, 17:06

You would only buy a model T to look at as artwork and drive on very rare occasions.....

Why would you purchase a pistol that the design has not changed in 105 years? (And neither have the malfunctions)

If you're in dire need of a real pistol I've got a couple I'd be happy to lend you, they are "state of the art".

Digitalis comes to mind, in the Merck Manual back in 1899. Some Doctor probably prescribed it to J.B. Himself! :D

There's always a smartass medic on the team!

Eagle5US
01-12-2016, 17:12

I do have a number of excellent "modern" firearms...to include the P2000 that I have carried near daily for the past 10-12 years. Never fails to fire, highly accurate.
I've also got various Sigs, HKs, Springfield XD's, and M&Ps, but sometimes you run across that pistol you wanted 10 years ago and happened to find it at nearly 1/2 price and you just gotta give it a run...
Well-I gave it a run and the damned thing doesn't work.
$500 mistake for certain- it was between this one and a new Sig in 40 that I was looking at for the same price.

More directly to your question...
Direct pressure has been noted
To stop bleeding as far back as the Greeks...so in some instances, a little nostalgia can indeed be a useful thing��

JJ_BPK
01-12-2016, 17:32
Warthog's are running around 650-700 on gunbroker.com, so your price is good..

Contact Para about warrenty.

I have been able to get S&W to fix small problems for very small pile of pasos,

AND they tend to throw in a trigger job, gratis..

I agree with the other comments.

I'm betting someone:
1)put a new trigger in without a new sear & hammer
2)tried to "lighten" the springs
3)"tuned" the hammer/sear engagement notch
4)all of the above..

Customer service

When contacting customer service, please have the owner name, address, model and serial number available. The information will help the service representative to expedite your request.

For emails, please include your name, address, phone number and serial number of the firearm.

By Email: contact@para-usa.com

By Telephone: 1-888-999-9386 (USA)
Mon-Fri 9:00AM-5:00PM Central Time

By Mail:
PARA USA, LLC.
1816 Remington Circle
Huntsville, AL 35824

The Reaper
01-12-2016, 18:55
I bought the same pistol back when it was called the P-10.

This pistol is one of the smallest .45s made and operates barely on the bleeding edge of reliability. Things that a 1911 could shrug off and keep chugging will stop this pistol dead in its tracks.

Mine had a serious problem of not firing when the trigger was pulled, which my second gunsmith traced to a defective "Series 80" type firing pin block.

Since then, it has been reliable, but I didn't fully trust it anymore and the P-12 was not that much larger.

Many of the small parts on the Warthog are (or used to be) Metal Injection Molded, and are subject to early failure.

Finally, once Para was bought out by the same mega corporation that sucked up Remington, Marlin, etc., and their QC frankly went to shit. There were serious problems with the Para pistols, and particularly the magazines.

I would either return it, or BPT invest in some gunsmithing or new parts.

If you send it back to Para and it has modified or aftermarket parts in it already, they may deny warranty service. Even then, you should be able to get it repaired by any decent 1911 'smith.

Good luck, hermano!

TR

Eagle5US
01-12-2016, 18:58
I bought the same pistol back when it was called the P-10.

This pistol is one of the smallest .45s made and operates barely on the bleeding edge of reliability. Things that a 1911 could shrug off and keep chugging will stop this pistol dead in its tracks.

Mine had a serious problem of not firing when the trigger was pulled, which my second gunsmith traced to a defective "Series 80" type firing pin block.

Since then, it has been reliable, but I didn't fully trust it anymore and the P-12 was not that much larger.

Many of the small parts on the Warthog are (or used to be) Metal Injection Molded, and are subject to early failure.

Finally, once Para was bought out by the same mega corporation that sucked up Remington, Marlin, etc., and their QC frankly went to shit. There were serious problems with the Para pistols, and particularly the magazines.

I would either return it, or BPT invest in some gunsmithing or new parts.

If you send it back to Para and it has modified or aftermarket parts in it already, they may deny warranty service. Even then, you should be able to get it repaired by any decent 1911 'smith.

Good luck, hermano!

TR
If you dusted off a cobweb or two...I believe it was you who turned me on to the P2000 to begin with.

It has been, and to this day is, my favorite carry and fire weapon.

Much appreciated as always for words of wisdom - I do hope we will meet up soon.

PRB
01-12-2016, 19:25

I'm with you...I don't get the Kimber crowd spending big dough on an antique.
For fun maybe, not for carry.

Eagle5US
01-12-2016, 19:27
I'm with you...I don't get the Kimber crowd spending big dough on an antique.
For fun maybe, not for carry.
Bought 3 Kimbers...returned three Kimbers and vowed never to buy another.

Great "name" - poor reliability...

frostfire
01-12-2016, 22:20
Joe, if you go with the gunsmith route, Dave Salyer has kept countless 1911 running since the 80's (yes TS, he won't have the long productive career if folks are shooting H&K at the nationals :D ). I've found his price most reasonable and I spent months asking around to include the guy who fixes MARSOC 1911.

salyer@comporium.net
803 448 5110 text or call

Eagle5US
01-13-2016, 07:02
Joe, if you go with the gunsmith route, Dave Salyer has kept countless 1911 running since the 80's (yes TS, he won't have the long productive career if folks are shooting H&K at the nationals :D ). I've found his price most reasonable and I spent months asking around to include the guy who fixes MARSOC 1911.

salyer@comporium.net
803 448 5110 text or call
Many thanks-
I may give him a shout.:lifter

Joe

FlagDayNCO
01-13-2016, 08:19
Consider the 1911 for what it is and what it was. Though I've been fortunate with what I own and carry, a real review of what a user expects a 1911 to do is in order.

I found excellent information about the 1911 on 10-8 Performance. They have listed many discussion points about using a 1911 for daily carrying and especially as a duty weapon.

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911/

A key consideration is that the law enforcement officer and the military service member typically has a dedicated armorer support.

There's much to think about before purchasing a 1911. There's enough to really look to another pistol. Just consider how much training goes into the failure drills for a 1911. Yes, I've carried a 1911 on a regular basis, but I've updated my daily carry to something developed in the last decade or so.

I've looked at several recent designs and weighed the various pros and cons of which one (or several for family) to purchase.

frostfire
01-13-2016, 11:22
Many thanks-
I may give him a shout.:lifter

Joe

You're welcome.

Forgot to mention, make sure you tell them you just want to get the pistol to work reliably. Otherwise, he'd go by default with match barrel, etc. and make the tolerances super tiiiiight for a <2.5-inches-at-50-yards-printing 1911 :D

Team Sergeant
01-13-2016, 12:15
LOLOL, I'm laughing here because every time we discuss 1911's all you see is repairs, who can fix them and what are the best "parts".....

I've had HK's for almost 20 years, never had a misfire, a malfunction or a repair. I think I own about ten HK pistols and carry one everyday.

It's nice fuzzy feeling knowing if I ever have to draw that pistol it will work..... ;)

The Reaper
01-13-2016, 12:17
LOLOL, I'm laughing here because every time we discuss 1911's all you see is repairs, who can fix them and what are the best "parts".....

I've had HK's for almost 20 years, never had a misfire, a malfunction or a repair. I think I own about ten HK pistols and carry one everyday.

It's nice fuzzy feeling knowing if I ever have to draw that pistol it will work..... ;)

If you ever do need a part from HK, let me know how that works out for you.:D

TR

Team Sergeant
01-13-2016, 12:20
If you ever do need a part from HK, let me know how that works out for you.:D

TR

From the looks of it, I'll never need a replacement part.....:munchin

tst43
01-13-2016, 12:38

It is hard to argue with a man who makes this much sense. That is why I purchased a H&K .45 after reading Team Sergeant's posts...and I couldn't be happier with it. Now, if only Team Sergeant would come to the East Coast to teach a shooting class...

Eagle5US
01-13-2016, 12:45
Pawn shop gave me a full refund...

The search begins again:D

x SF med
01-13-2016, 14:30
...Tell me doc, do you still employ 105 year old medicine?

Let's see.... as noted, digitalis and direct pressure, also- sutures, boiled willow/birch bark, leeches, maggots, honey, clean cotton dressings, pressure points, acupressure, massage, chiropractic, syringes, bismuth, tar shampoo, talcum powder, clay, sassafras root, eugenol, morphine, clay packs for wounds, normal saline rinses and infusions..... want me to go on?:p

I am going to be sooooooo hated by TS for this one....

x SF med
01-13-2016, 14:33
Pawn shop gave me a full refund...

The search begins again:D

Brother, maybe a tomahawk, crossbow, mace and Colt SAA will work too. they're all over 105 years old and effective. ;)

CAARNG 68W
01-13-2016, 15:06

I too am enjoying the popcorn :D

Never would have taken you for not being a 1911 guy Sergeant.

Team Sergeant
01-15-2016, 11:15
I too am enjoying the popcorn :D

Never would have taken you for not being a 1911 guy Sergeant.

You've not read all my posts, ten years of posts. I cut my teeth on 1911's, learned 33 different malfunction skills concerning the gun. Owned three or four, dropped thousands into repairs & parts.

The lesson is over, this 18B/11B knows when to "upgrade".:munchin

Divemaster
01-16-2016, 02:05
While I do own a 1911 (Randall left hand Govt model), it was the anemic round count that first made me look for something else. It was only later that the full length guide rod snapped in two.

Rob_Frey
01-17-2016, 12:32
I bought a Para P13 right before the Brady Assault Weapon Ban took effect, before I couldn't get high cap mags anymore. By the time I was done modifying it, the only original parts were the frame, slide and barrel. Each of those parts were modified too. I always had problems with an aftermarket trigger and the firing pin block not playing well together, and causing misfires.

I will not buy anymore Para's, and unless I can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a 1911, I will not pursue one again. While the nostalgia is strong with the 1911, the gun is not practical anymore.

My next .45 ACP will be an H&K.

DDD
01-17-2016, 12:57
Talked to a few guys who were on hand for the filming of a torture test for the new Paras. The true part was they actually did all the tests: drop from height, drop into mud, run over by vehicle. Unfortunately the pistol failed each and every test, thanks to editing the commercial is great:rolleyes:

Go Devil
01-17-2016, 18:48
I'm on my 2nd HK .45
...made a mistake, selling my 1st HK .45