PDA

View Full Version : NASA: California Has One Year of Water Left

Team Sergeant
03-14-2015, 10:41
This is about to get very interesting........ Kalif is about to go dry..... those fresh veggies, wine etc are about to take a large jump in price. I think they can solve the problem by granting amnesty to another 20 million illegals. :munchin

NASA: California Has One Year of Water Left
by Daniel Nussbaum14 Mar 2015

In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, NASA senior water scientist Jay Famiglietti warned that California only has about one year’s worth of water supply left in its snowpack, reservoirs, and groundwater storage. If conservation efforts are not ramped up, and soon, the state could be facing a full-blown “crisis.”

NASA satellite data reportedly shows that the state’s water supply level was 34 million acre-feet below normal in 2014. Unfortunately, this year’s numbers indicate anything but improvement.

January of 2015 was the driest since the state began keeping rainfall records in 1895. Earlier this month, the Department of Water Resources (DWR) announced that the water content of snowpack measured at the Philips snow course in the Sierra Nevada mountains was just 0.9 inches, or 5 percent of the state’s March average. That water content level set a new, undesirable state record.

As for California’s underground supply, NASA has been sounding the alarm about dropping groundwater levels since October of last year. The rate of groundwater pumping has only increased since then. According to Famiglietti, a full two-thirds of the state’s 12 million acre-feet loss in water supply per year is due to excessive groundwater pumping.

While some recent minor storms brought in by a weak El Nino system allowed DWR to raise its state water allocation to 20%, the storms have done nothing to replenish the state’s reservoirs and snowpack, the most critical sources of drinking water for California residents. And farmers continue to get burned from both ends, as what little water supply they would have access to continually gets choked off by state bureaucrats.

“In short, we have no paddle to navigate this crisis,” Famiglietti wrote in the Times.

cont:

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2015/03/14/nasa-california-has-one-year-of-water-left/

ddoering
03-14-2015, 12:06
The real crisis will come with the mass exodus of all those nut job dipshits. They will end up infecting the rest of the nation.

SF_BHT
03-14-2015, 12:12
Water wars ?

They better start those desalination plants.

PSM
03-14-2015, 12:17
Water wars ?

They better start those desalination plants.

Never happen with all of the environuts running the state. They should have built nuclear power plants along the coast and a desalination plant with each one. Two of their major problems solved by one construction project.

Pat

GratefulCitizen
03-14-2015, 13:10
States upstream in the Colorado River Basin have been dealing with this sort of thing and preparing for it for about a century.

Cry me a river.

sinjefe
03-14-2015, 15:30
I wouldn't believe a thing NASA says.

Joker
03-14-2015, 16:23
The real crisis will come with the mass exodus of all those nut job dipshits. They will end up infecting the rest of the nation.

Shoot them at the borders, unless it is the Mexican border. Richard is excluded though. :D

Richard
03-14-2015, 16:29
If you go to the LA Times OpEd piece, the Earth System Science professor who wrote it is pushing for a political change to California's water policies and warns that there would be but a one year supply of the existing water in the state's rivers, reservoirs, and aquifers if nothing changes (weather, usage, policies, regulations, etc).

Richard

Team Sergeant
03-14-2015, 18:29
It's all fun and games until the water runs out...... It will be interesting.

PRB
03-14-2015, 19:01
You'd think, since this issue is decades old in Cali specifically, you'd hear a great deal about this.
I know Cali sued Nevada/Az for more water and lost in Fed court a few years ago.
Az has been pumping excess/unused/ use to give it to Cali river water back into the aquafirs for some years now.
I keep an eye on my well and it is up this year and my pump is 100 ft below the water table level...but our aguaF is fed by underground streams not just rainfall.
Cali has been doing nothing but limiting lawn watering/car washing etc.....as if this will just go away.
Pray for rain but hope ain't much of a strategery.....

PSM
03-14-2015, 19:02
Shoot them at the borders... :D

By my count, there are only 7 crossing points into AZ from CA (not counting I-15 through the AZ strip which is cut of from AZ anyway. Piece 'o cake! :D

Pat

Richard
03-14-2015, 19:38
A few months ago Gov Jerry Brown aka moon beam Jerry signed a bill into law that basically takes all water rights away from individuals and gives it to the state. If you have a water well on your place well the state owns it now. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Most people do not realize rural CA is very Conservative but the large urban areas outnumber the rural areas in votes thus distorted view of the state. Might be the start of something they did not anticipate.

Not true.

Here's the 2014 SGWA and its initiatives.

http://www.water.ca.gov/cagroundwater/

Our wells are our wells.

Richard

Team Sergeant
03-14-2015, 20:15
Not true.

Our wells are our wells.

Richard

I thought recently I read the same thing Brush Okie was talking about. I'll have to find it. Within the last 3-4 months.

PRB
03-14-2015, 20:39
What is property worth with no water access?

PRB
03-14-2015, 20:41
Not true.

Our wells are our wells.

Richard

I hope so but I suspect that is just one liberal vote away from not being the case.

The Reaper
03-14-2015, 22:49
Not true.

Our wells are our wells.

Richard

Redistribution will be coming to you soon, comrade!

So does this mean the state will just run out of water literally or that the water levels will just become too low to sustain the current usage rates? This is a big problem for the nation as a whole because California grows a crap ton of food for the U.S. and it also is our biggest economy.

Would desalination plants be able to fix this and why would environmentalists be opposed to them?

Because it helps people live, silly!

TR

PSM
03-14-2015, 23:17
There are other pressing water problems in CA. Los Angeles has a century old water system that is largely unmapped. William Mulholland designed it and supervised its construction, but held the details of the design close to his vest so he could maintain control. Now, after years of earthquakes and inevitable deterioration, those water mains are breaking at an increasing rate. Some theorize that recent water rationing has added to the problem by reducing the flow at certain hours and then allowing it to increase at other hours. This creates a hammering effect that further damages the already weakened pipes. But, the politicians there are more worried about the CA Condor, Delta Smelt, plastic shopping bags, and Global Cooling, er, Warming, er, I mean Climate Change. ;)

Pat

Last hard class
03-14-2015, 23:55
California currently has multiple desalination plants in different phases of construction.

This is about dollars. No different than the climate change issue. When it becomes cheaper to procure ocean water than from our current waste water recycle system then these plants will sprout like mushrooms.

PSM:
I disagree about nuclear power in the southwest. Sunshine is abundant. Maybe we should just annex Arizona and turn it into our own little power plant. :D

LHC

PSM
03-15-2015, 00:06
PSM:
I disagree about nuclear power in the southwest. Sunshine is abundant. Maybe we should just annex Arizona and turn it into our own little power plant. :D

LHC

I live with solar power. Trust me, if I could have a tiny nuke plant I'd do it in a nanosecond. The Sun is nuclear power. But, it's only available +/- 12 hours a day. BTW, AZ has nuclear power. ;)

Pat

Last hard class
03-15-2015, 00:21
Did you just post a quadruple negative?

That's worse than people from Shy town betting against the Kings during the NHL playoffs.

LHC

PSM
03-15-2015, 00:36
Did you just post a quadruple negative?

That's worse than people from Shy town betting against the Kings during the NHL playoffs.

LHC

How so? :confused:

Pat

Pete
03-15-2015, 04:38
Not true.

Our wells are our wells.

Richard

From page 14 in the link from your link...

"...In some groundwater basins, as the demand for groundwater exceeded the safe yields and caused overdraft, landowners and other parties turned to the courts to determine how much groundwater can rightfully be extracted by each user. The courts study available information on groundwater use and other factors to arrive at a distribution of the groundwater that is available each year, usually based on the California law of overlying use and appropriation. This court-directed process can be lengthy and costly. Many of these cases have been resolved with a court-approved negotiated settlement, called a stipulated judgment. The court decisions guarantee to each party a proportionate share of the groundwater that is available each year. .."

Rambles on for a bit more after than but it does look like that in some parts of the state they can regulate how much water you can take out of your well.

GratefulCitizen
03-15-2015, 10:28
A little blurb from the Sacramento Bee I found. It is about the bill before it passed.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/article2608207.html

“This bill is built around the notion that local agencies are in the best place to solve this problem – let’s give them the tools and the flexibility to solve this problem locally,” Quinn said, but “there is a backstop. If the locals don’t respond responsibly, then the state is allowed to step in. Local management should be focusing on long-term sustainability for their economy and their environment.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...#storylink=cpy

I am altering the deal.
Pray I don't alter it any further.

Team Sergeant
03-15-2015, 11:02
PSM:

LHC

Yeah well I live within spitting distance of that nuclear power plant...... Molon Labe...... :munchin ;)

PSM
03-17-2015, 19:07
California officials approved new, far-reaching water restrictions Tuesday, limiting households to just two days of outdoor watering in some parts of the state while requiring restaurants to serve water only upon request and hotels to get guest approval before washing the linens.

The rules mark unprecedented territory for the state, which has historically let local water agencies, with their unique supplies and demands, manage how their customers use water. But with California poised for a fourth year of drought and conservation lagging, the State Water Resources Control Board demanded statewide action.

The regulations add to restrictions put in place last year that rein in outdoor water use, for example, barring people from hosing down driveways. The new terms, though, tread deeper into homes, businesses and the lives of most Californians, and are indicative of the worsening water situation.

Violations of the rules carry fines of up to $500, which are left at left at the discretion of local agencies to impose.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-drought-State-approves-sweeping-6139559.php

I think Richard is a desert dweller now, too. :D ;)

Pat

Richard
03-17-2015, 22:13
I think Richard is a desert dweller now, too. :D ;)

Pat

Not quite yet. Pics taken yesterday when the dogs and I were out checking the fire breaks. ;)

Richard

PSM
03-17-2015, 22:15
Not quite yet. Pics taken yesterday when the dogs and I were out checking the fire breaks. ;)

Richard

You guys got a lot a rain recently. Are you growing anything?

Pat

mark46th
03-17-2015, 22:26
I was pig hunting this weekend out of King City, Ca., 2 hours Southwest from Richard. The foliage was still green and chest high. All the cattle raisers are doing the happy dance. Not a full load of rain but it came at the right times... The wild flowers were gorgeous.