PDA

View Full Version : 12ga Trench Gun: VN Era Gift for a Friend

LarryW
06-24-2014, 05:13
Sirs:

Have an acquaintance whom I (and the rest of the deacons in our church) respect greatly (a DAV, VN era) who is especially fond of his memory of the 12ga he carried in 1968. He's a former Recon Marine. There's a picture (not a very good pic, and I don't have it electronically to share) of the one he carried. Looks like a camo 870, but could be a Winchester 12 (?). I have a lead on a new 870 Defender (6+1) synthetic stock for $400 that looks similar to the one in the pic, and figure I could get the camo pattern fairly close (or just order the thing with a camo stock, etc), and might be able to locate the accessories. Found the heat shield & bayonet lug component, and know where I can get a leather sling (via IMA). The bayonet itself involves a lot of sticker shock, so that'll have to remain a memory for him. It's just kind of a church project we have half-way gotten excited about, and we'd like to see if we could get it assembled for him. (We're thinking for Veterans Day. Have heard of an original for sale, complete, for $4,500, but that's outside of our collective pay grades.)

Any thoughts on what was the most prevalent make/model shotgun carried in VN at the time? Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to put this shotgun together for him? Y'alls help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Toaster
06-24-2014, 05:59
That's a worthy endeavor, I'm glad that y'all have such a good project for a good man.

IIRC some of the guns (models) that were used in Vietnam were also used in WWII. The military has used several models of shotguns throughout the years.

What would probably save some money is if you can find an old police riot shotgun of the same model and try to make it towards what you wanted.

Was his shotgun capable of slam-firing? (If you hold the trigger and pump it, it will shoot each pump until the magazine is empty)

I know the Stevens 520 was one that had a bayonet in WWII that could slam fire, and run from $4000-5000 in original configuration.

I believe the Ithaca 37 was another shotgun used in that era.

JJ_BPK
06-24-2014, 06:45
Lary

A side bar: Gifts of weapons and the ATF,, It's illegal. It's called a straw purchase and SCOTUS, in a contested ruling, sided with the ATF.

http://bearingarms.com/split-supreme-court-rules-gun-owners-purchase-firearms-gifts-felons/

You need to have your friend go to your LGA and fill out the ATF paperwork AT THE STORE.

Be aware.

As to the VN era shotguns?? I only witnessed 1/6 doz, some Remington (870 & 12) and Ithaca 37's. I know there were some M97 Winchesters, the original trench gun.

I'm pretty sure the M97 & 37's could slam fire. Not sure what other shotguns could do the same. It's dangerous and I would not knowingly purchase one for anyone..

I never witnessed anyone using the 1917 bayonet. It was a trench warfare type weapon. To LOOOONG..

Most guys would get the barrel chopped to allow easier handling in the bush.

Here are pics of the M97 & 37.

Oh, Contrary to what others may say, that is not me in the picture,, I'm much taller.. :D I think it's TR?? :confused:

Streck-Fu
06-24-2014, 07:12
A side bar: Gifts of weapons and the ATF,, It's illegal. It's called a straw purchase and SCOTUS, in a contested ruling, sided with the ATF.

Gifts are ok as long as the recipient is not prohibited from owning the firearm. It doesn't become a straw purchase unless either they are not permitted to own a firearm or they give the purchaser money to buy the weapon. The site you linked corrected the article regarding gifts.

You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately
purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party.

..... if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present,
Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer “YES” to question 11.a.

Page 4 for question 11a: LINK (https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf)

TrapperFrank
06-24-2014, 07:52
At one time I owned a Ithaca Model 37. In fact, it was the first weapon I ever purchased. I can attest to the fact the Model 37 can be "slam fired." Great weapon, wish I still had it. One other viable option is to look on your local Armslist.com & Gunbroker.com for said weapons.

mark46th
06-24-2014, 07:55
I have a Model 97 and it too, can be slam fired...

LarryW
06-24-2014, 09:16
Very good gouge. Esp re: straw buys. Hadn't thought much on that. Dang, yer right, BPK, that knife is a loooooong way to go home! Bet there were Germans changing their drawers when they saw one of those coming thru the ditch! Our Am Legion Post is raffling off a Henry Golden .22 mag as a fund raiser, and what we're doing to deal with the straw buy issue, is buying the rifle but leaving it at the FFL. The winner of the raffle will then go there and fill out their own paper work and pick it up. ($5/ticket and only 200 tickets to go!)

Thanks again for the leads. All of them found a home. God bless.

VVVV
06-24-2014, 10:58
Mossberg 500s were used in Vietnam.

MR2
06-24-2014, 12:54
Oh, Contrary to what others may say, that is not me in the picture,, I'm much taller.. :D I think it's TR?? :confused:

Naw, TR didn't start to wear glasses until he was much older...

The Reaper
06-24-2014, 15:51
Gifts are ok as long as the recipient is not prohibited from owning the firearm. It doesn't become a straw purchase unless either they are not permitted to own a firearm or they give the purchaser money to buy the weapon. The site you linked corrected the article regarding gifts.

Page 4 for question 11a: LINK (https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf)

Not according to latest from the SCOTUS.

JJ is correct, you can no longer buy a weapon for ANYONE else, whether they are permitted to legally own or not.

The question on the 4473, 12.a. asks, "Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?"

If you are buying it for someone else (even though they are permitted to buy it themselves), you are not, and the SCOTUS has upheld this interpretation. Expect the 4473 to be updated soon to reflect this decision.

No answer on how long you have to own it before you can resell it or give it away.

As to the question about shotguns in Vietnam, I suspect that the Remington Models 11 and 870, Ithaca 37, Mossberg 500, and Winchester 97s and 12s were all there.

TR

Bob45nm
06-24-2014, 16:05
Mossberg 500s were used in Vietnam.

I carried one on both A-108 and A-105. Real good for clearing brush.

mojaveman
06-24-2014, 17:49
In Germany in the early '80s we used the M1200 while working physical security. They were pretty well worn though and I'm sure that they were left overs from Vietnam.