PDA

View Full Version : Correcting Grammar And Spelling Is Racist, You Racist Jerks

MtnGoat
01-22-2014, 18:23
Well here you go all you educators.

Correcting Grammar And Spelling Is Racist, You Racist Jerks says one UCLA Prof.

http://chicksontheright.com/posts/item/25292-correcting-grammar-and-spelling-is-racist-you-racist-jerks

Lan
01-22-2014, 18:30
Oh the depravity of the white man :boohoo

Richard
01-22-2014, 18:46
A "news" mention in the higher ed circles 2 months ago.

Here's the original reporting.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/11/25/ucla-grad-students-stage-sit-during-class-protest-what-they-see-racially-hostile

Professors (and departments within a college) have an enormous amount of leeway in their courses, especially in an area like preference of writing styles and citations. I've had semesters where different classes had different demands for acceptable writing styles; I'm pretty certain most people who ever attended college have experienced that one.

And so it goes...

Richard

Peregrino
01-22-2014, 20:12
Well here you go all you educators.

Correcting Grammar And Spelling Is Racist, You Racist Jerks says one UCLA Prof.

http://chicksontheright.com/posts/item/25292-correcting-grammar-and-spelling-is-racist-you-racist-jerks

Shaking my head. :rolleyes: Did you pause before posting this to consider how many times someone of your/our acquaintance has attempted misdirection, obfuscation, and appeals to social/cultural norms in an attempt to deflect criticism of their sub-par written communications skills? (At least when you post, the content is worth the effort to decipher! :p)

ddoering
01-22-2014, 20:12
Sounds to me like their feelings were hurt. Boo fucking hoo.

Surf n Turf
01-22-2014, 20:26
A "news" mention in the higher ed circles 2 months ago.

And so it goes...

Richard

Richard,
Please tell me that those in Higher Education don't talk as they write
SnT

A hostile campus climate has been the norm for Students of Color in this class throughout the quarter as our epistemological and methodological commitments have been repeatedly questioned by our classmates and our instructor.

The statement accuses “the professor” of correcting “perceived grammatical choices that in actuality reflect ideologies” and “repeatedly questioning the value of our work on social identity and the related dynamics of oppression, power and privilege.”

“escalating hostility directed at the only Male of Color in this cohort

Richard
01-22-2014, 21:19
Richard,
Please tell me that those in Higher Education don't talk as they write
SnT

Jargon - it infests all walks of life.

And so it goes...

Richard

Divemaster
01-23-2014, 01:26
Knowing the difference between there, their, and they’re; your, you’re; to and too just means I have an advantage because of race? The fact that my family struggled to feed us when I was young was meaningless due to my white skin? Getting my ass kicked as one of about ten white kids in an inner city New Orleans public school was just an accident because kids of color by definition cannot possibly be racist and they were just exacting justice on the “man”, even though the “man” was ten years old? And that my parents finally rescued me by sacrificing a huge chunk of their income to get me into Catholic school was white flight (by definition a racist act)?

I grew up an Air Force brat in the late 60s and early 70s. My parents were white, as am I with the blue eyes to prove it. Dad was from Brooklyn, mom from small town New Hampshire. My father taught us that people were people. In our military family I knew nothing of race. Members of his unit were always welcome in our tiny military house. I played with white, black, and brown kids. Mom always had cookies and Kool-Aid ready for all of us. Much too young to remember (probably 3 or 4), I apparently repeated the racial epithets the locally hired movers used while out loading our neighbors, and my 4 year old best friend, of a color I can’t, nor should, remember, to their next duty station. However, I do remember the hide tanning I received for using words that hurt good people. My lessons of anti-racism were taught to me by my white parents. Lessons of racism were taught to me by people I never trusted from my own and other races. I chose to remember the lessons of my parents.

And my use of the English language, for ill or good, is my own. Not learned from (nor blamed upon) my parents, neither of whom went beyond high school. My own intellect developed from a hunger for reading, learning, history, and was independent of the military school system and the public schools I attended. And, actually, doesn’t reflect the grades I received 30 plus years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I won’t be challenging Steven Hawking in a science bee or Alex Trebek in trivia. But an inner fire fueled learning.

I could carry this rant on further, but realize I’ve lost most readers paragraphs ago. But correcting grammar as racist is...well...racist. Are professors really saying that students of other races can't learn? Wasn't that exactly what racists were saying 50 or 100 years ago?

Richard
01-23-2014, 01:50
And so it goes...

Richard

Divemaster
01-23-2014, 02:38
Please don't read, or "hear" my above post as a Richard Sherman type rant. I'm not the best corner in the NFL. Just read it in a conversational tone, with no emotion or inflection inferred. Thanks.

MtnGoat
01-23-2014, 04:52
Shaking my head. :rolleyes: Did you pause before posting this to consider how many times someone of your/our acquaintance has attempted misdirection, obfuscation, and appeals to social/cultural norms in an attempt to deflect criticism of their sub-par written communications skills? (At least when you post, the content is worth the effort to decipher! :p)

Yeap.. I figured and was ready for it.

JimP
01-23-2014, 08:20
Divemaster - well stated.
I always find it laughable (but not so much the "ha-ha" laughing...), that libs are so obvious in their racist views that "people of color" are simply too stupid to learn without a special dispensation. m

Dusty
01-23-2014, 09:05
So with that logic, my family being from the south and considered "poor white trash" if I let my professors know that I can use the N word as well as other remarks since it is just jargon not to mention my poor spelling? It's just my culture you know.

lol White Christian heterosexual males are not afforded latitude with regard to "jargon" as it applies to any other race, gender, sexual preference, or religious conviction, yo.

Richard
01-23-2014, 09:16
So with that logic, my family being from the south and considered "poor white trash" if I let my professors know that I can use the N word as well as other remarks since it is just jargon not to mention my poor spelling? It's just my culture you know.

You, like the UCLA students, are free to try and apply your 'logic' in such a formal environment, but such colloquial speech is not generally equated to being jargon.

I was commenting on the writer's use of the words you hi-lighted - jargon, the specialized language (words and style) used by people in the same work or profession - and not what is generally considered geographically colloquial language that you're now describing.

Ever read a dissertation or two? It can be painful.

Richard

ghp95134
01-23-2014, 12:14
I grew up an Air Force brat in the late 60s and early 70s. My parents were white, as am I with the blue eyes to prove it. Dad was from Brooklyn, mom from small town New Hampshire. My father taught us that people were people. In our military family I knew nothing of race. Members of his unit were always welcome in our tiny military house. I played with white, black, and brown kids. Mom always had cookies and Kool-Aid ready for all of us. Much too young to remember (probably 3 or 4), I apparently repeated the racial epithets the locally hired movers used while out loading our neighbors, and my 4 year old best friend, of a color I can’t, nor should, remember, to their next duty station. However, I do remember the hide tanning I received for using words that hurt good people. My lessons of anti-racism were taught to me by my white parents. Lessons of racism were taught to me by people I never trusted from my own and other races. I chose to remember the lessons of my parents.

Divemaster, you sound like you grew up in my family! I'm an army brat and everything you wrote was experienced by me -- but I'm from the 50s~60s.

The lesson from my father ... after the spanking ... was that "the negroes in the army are very good people who work harder than white people to be successful. You [ghp95134] are no better than they are: good people are good; bad people are bad; color has nothing to do with it. I never want you to say that again. Do you understand me!?"

Lesson learned. And "oh by the way" my father was born and raised in Columbus GA (and I was born at Ft. Benning).

However, with that all said ..... my current rhetorical question is: Why today can someone say "People of Color" .... but we cannot say "Colored People"? Sounds like it is the same thing to me.

--ghp

Sigaba
01-23-2014, 15:24
Those interested in reading the Independent Investigative Report on Acts of Bias and Discrimination Involving Faculty at the University of California, Los Angeles, October 15, 2013, known as the "Moreno Report" may find it attached to this post.

IMO, it is extremely unfortunate that an opportunity for a serious discussion about institutional discrimination at UCLA is being dismissed out of hand, especially given the concerns voiced by many at this BB of certain ideologies and practices becoming entrenched in universities and colleges throughout the United States. If you don't mind eggheads blue pencilling to oblivion POVs and writing styles they don't like because the students aren't white, then on what ground will you stand when those same practices are used on students who are politically right of center, culturally conservative, religiously observant, or veterans?

cbtengr
01-23-2014, 15:32
Divemaster, you sound like you grew up in my family! I'm an army brat and everything you wrote was experienced by me -- but I'm from the 50s~60s.

The lesson from my father ... after the spanking ... was that "the negroes in the army are very good people who work harder than white people to be successful. You [ghp95134] are no better than they are: good people are good; bad people are bad; color has nothing to do with it. I never want you to say that again. Do you understand me!?"

Lesson learned. And "oh by the way" my father was born and raised in Columbus GA (and I was born at Ft. Benning).

However, with that all said ..... my current rhetorical question is: Why today can someone say "People of Color" .... but we cannot say "Colored People"? Sounds like it is the same thing to me.

--ghp

We are about the same vintage I got that spanking also. I grew up thinking that there were only two colors, black and white and it was not until I joined the army that I learned otherwise. I was standing in a line during BCT waiting to use a phone and relating a story to the black kid ahead of me about someone in our platoon, he said "what kid" and I said " you know the colored kid" to which he tactfully replied "what color was he?" He was a lot more worldly than I was. He came from the melting pot, I was just entering it. Most importantly I learned that there was no color barrier when it came to being a worthless POS.

I learned a lot more in the four years I spent in the military about people than I would ever have learned at any 4 year college.

Pete
01-23-2014, 16:52
....... If you don't mind eggheads blue pencilling to oblivion POVs and writing styles they don't like because the students aren't white, then on what ground will you stand when those same practices are used on students who are politically right of center, culturally conservative, religiously observant, or veterans?

Ah, I'm taking a college course right now that has a required research paper. The instructor put out the formatting required - gave a link, required English requirement - gave a couple of links, stated the required length and then expounded on all of it for a while.

He is a certified lefty who is an AGW believer.

I saw nothing racist in anything he put out.

But on the other hand the subject I select will be "safe" so we don't knock heads and I get chipped down a few points on the grading scale.

"People of color" - interesting.

theis223
01-23-2014, 16:55

--ghp

Might be along the same line of though as to why "assault weapon" is the term du-jur for anything that is not an 870 pump
:rolleyes:

Javadrinker
01-23-2014, 17:36
Might be along the same line of though as to why "assault weapon" is the term du-jur for anything that is not an 870 pump
:rolleyes:

and I heard the 870 referred to as an assault weapon the other day, because it had "Military sights, was black, and an adjustable stock". :confused::mad:

Peregrino
01-23-2014, 19:50
Those interested in reading the Independent Investigative Report on Acts of Bias and Discrimination Involving Faculty at the University of California, Los Angeles, October 15, 2013, known as the "Moreno Report" may find it attached to this post.

IMO, it is extremely unfortunate that an opportunity for a serious discussion about institutional discrimination at UCLA is being dismissed out of hand, especially given the concerns voiced by many at this BB of certain ideologies and practices becoming entrenched in universities and colleges throughout the United States. If you don't mind eggheads blue pencilling to oblivion POVs and writing styles they don't like because the students aren't white, then on what ground will you stand when those same practices are used on students who are politically right of center, culturally conservative, religiously observant, or veterans?

OK - I read the report. I thought about it, I attempted to find any excuse to give it's "findings" credence, and failing in that, I've determined to forget about it. I'm tired of rolling around in the mud with racists and progressives (sorry, that was kind of redundant). Arguing the merits of a report prepared as the outcome of a witch hunt instigated by disgruntled employees who constitute a miniscule portion of the faculty is a waste of time. They only interviewed 28 faculty members, all of whom appear from the document to be members of the aggrieved class? All of the persons interviewed while examining the grievance mechanisms related insignificant numbers of incidents. After all - how large is the university? What percentage of Colored Faculty complained? What are the previous complaint patterns of the 28 who volunteered their "grievances" to the researchers? What do their personnel files look like? Personally, I've reached the inescapable conclusion that black racists constitute a far larger percentage of their respective population than white racists do of theirs.

plato
01-23-2014, 20:23

If you don't mind eggheads blue pencilling to oblivion POVs and writing styles they don't like because the students aren't white, then on what ground will you stand when those same practices are used on students who are politically right of center, culturally conservative, religiously observant, or veterans?

Read it. An appointed bunch of minorities, spoke to minority professors, who felt that hiring and promotion of minority professors should have priority. (No surprise there.) The faculty members and researchers felt that any violations of the university code that appeared to involve race should treated as 'special', rather than following the route of other violations.
The minority professors also objected to UCLA's obedience to Cal Prop 209 which requires that race not be considered by the college. Instead, the professors preferred particular emphasis on admission, hiring, and promotion based on minority status. Obvious, transparent, self-serving.

And, a gratis anecdote, somewhat humorous but true....
I stepped forward from formation at the Academy, when the CO commander asked that all plebes (freshmen) who had spent more than 5 years in the north and 5 years in the south do so. Selected, I was moved to a room containing one plebe from the woods of Maine, and one from south Miss, both with what I can only call "thick" accents. I was the interpreter. Apparently, that was the common solution. By the end of the year, we all (the entire class) spoke "standard mid-western newscaster english" as well as our own dialect.

Let's all speak english. Yell "Dawg" near me and I'm assuming there is something with bared teeth coming my way, and I'm half un-holstered. "Hello neighbor" is in my dictionary. Really great book.

Paslode
01-23-2014, 20:24
It's just my culture you know.

That only applies to Chris Rock

IMO, it is extremely unfortunate that an opportunity for a serious discussion about institutional discrimination at UCLA is being dismissed out of hand

That was a tough read because honestly it sounded like a bunch of petty bickering.

ddoering
01-23-2014, 20:28
OK - I read the report. I thought about it, I attempted to find any excuse to give it's "findings" credence, and failing in that, I've determined to forget about it. I'm tired of rolling around in the mud with racists and progressives (sorry, that was kind of redundant). Arguing the merits of a report prepared as the outcome of a witch hunt instigated by disgruntled employees who constitute a miniscule portion of the faculty is a waste of time. They only interviewed 28 faculty members, all of whom appear from the document to be members of the aggrieved class? All of the persons interviewed while examining the grievance mechanisms related insignificant numbers of incidents. After all - how large is the university? What percentage of Colored Faculty complained? What are the previous complaint patterns of the 28 who volunteered their "grievances" to the researchers? What do their personnel files look like? Personally, I've reached the inescapable conclusion that black racists constitute a far larger percentage of their respective population than white racists do of theirs.

I agree. That report is filled with "perceived" racism. Seems to be a convenient dodge to cover up personal failures or ascribe as a reason for not achieving a desired goal.

Dusty
01-23-2014, 20:32

I don't know no white boys name Moreno. :D

Peregrino
01-23-2014, 20:37
I don't know no white boys name Moreno. :D

Ni yo tampoco.