PDA

View Full Version : In tribute to my colleague Airborne Lawyer . . .

Roguish Lawyer
11-26-2004, 21:22
. . . I bought this tonight. And we're drinking it tonight.

Of course, a real tribute would be something current. Latour made money from this bottle many years ago, and I'm really paying an American wine shop without any real benefit to France. :D

The cork doesn't look great, so this may suck. Or it could be incredible. I'll let you know later . . .

NousDefionsDoc
11-26-2004, 23:18
Freedom wine?

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 10:20
Freedom wine?

LOL

OK, opening a 29-year-old bottle of wine is a bit of a challenge, so I decided to document it for devotees of this forum.

The photos of the cork in the bottle did not come out great, but I think you can see the dried material all around the cork -- the top looks like one solid surface, not a cork in the center of a bottle top.

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 10:22
I didn't get any cork in the wine, but it did come out in two pieces.

Notice how the entire cork is saturated.

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 10:23
Sorry, Solid, no double-decanting.

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 10:31
The wine held up pretty well. Opened up after about 30 minutes in the decanter. Fairly long, complex finish with earthy fruit flavors. Candidly, however, it wasn't that great given what I paid for it. Good, but not great for what it is. You can see that there was very little sediment in the bottle.

Here are someone else's thoughts:

http://www.wine-journal.com/latourtastingnotes.html

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 10:34
Oh yeah, dinner.

Started with aged jack cheese and mushroom profiteroles. The profiteroles were just heated from a box, but they were really good. Porcini mushrooms, cream cheese, walnuts and maybe something else inside the pastry.

Then had grilled filet mignon prepared with a porcini mushroom rub and green beans. The green beans were boiled for 3.5 minutes in water seasoned with salt and minced onion.

All in all, not a bad meal. :)

The Reaper
11-27-2004, 10:42
The wine held up pretty well. Opened up after about 30 minutes in the decanter. Fairly long, complex finish with earthy fruit flavors. Candidly, however, it wasn't that great given what I paid for it. Good, but not great for what it is. You can see that there was very little sediment in the bottle.

http://www.wine-journal.com/latourtastingnotes.html

Looks like you should have gotten the 2000 or took a chance on the 1990. Stock up on the 2003 now.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 10:46
Looks like you should have gotten the 2000 or took a chance on the 1990. Stock up on the 2003 now.

TR

I'm not buying French wine unless it's from a non-French library. :)

DanUCSB
11-27-2004, 13:17
My question is, rather, how do your kids feel about having a kids book called "From Our Hearse"? :cool:

Or, also, if that's your South Beach Diet book? Getting ready for swimsuit season? :lifter

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-27-2004, 17:44
You can see that there was very little sediment in the bottle.

]

I guess everything is in the eye of the beholder. You see a lack of sediment I see an acceptable mold for an improvised shapped charge.

Jack Moroney

CPTAUSRET
11-28-2004, 15:26
Nancy informs me that we have a case of 82 Latour.

Terry

Roguish Lawyer
11-28-2004, 19:38
Nancy informs me that we have a case of 82 Latour.

Terry

I'll be right over. :D

CPTAUSRET
11-28-2004, 20:40
R L:

We'll get together one of these days.

Terry

Airbornelawyer
11-29-2004, 11:07
Oh yeah, dinner.

Started with aged jack cheese and mushroom profiteroles. The profiteroles were just heated from a box, but they were really good. Porcini mushrooms, cream cheese, walnuts and maybe something else inside the pastry.

Then had grilled filet mignon prepared with a porcini mushroom rub and green beans. The green beans were boiled for 3.5 minutes in water seasoned with salt and minced onion.

Friday night I cooked a cheeseburger, fries, macaroni & cheese and baked beans, topped off with a delightful 2004 Pepsi One. Saturday night I had a cheeseburger, fries and leftover macaroni & cheese and baked beans. Last night I had a leftover cheeseburger, fries, macaroni & cheese and baked beans. For tonight I'm looking at a cheeseburger, fries and leftover macaroni & cheese and baked beans.

Roguish Lawyer
11-29-2004, 11:32
Friday night I cooked a cheeseburger, fries, macaroni & cheese and baked beans, topped off with a delightful 2004 Pepsi One. Saturday night I had a cheeseburger, fries and leftover macaroni & cheese and baked beans. Last night I had a leftover cheeseburger, fries, macaroni & cheese and baked beans. For tonight I'm looking at a cheeseburger, fries and leftover macaroni & cheese and baked beans.

Razor will be making fun of your cholesterol intake in no time. :)

CPTAUSRET
11-29-2004, 11:33

CUTE!

Terry