PDA

View Full Version : Catch of the day

full cooler
08-04-2013, 12:51
Eight speckled trout and two sheepshead (largest 5lbs.). All caught on live shrimp under floating cork.

Rumblyguts
08-04-2013, 12:54
Nice.

How are you going to cook the sheepshead? Around here they're considered a trash fish and usually thrown back.

full cooler
08-04-2013, 13:35
I'll probably just grill them. They have firm white meat and feed mostly on mussels, small crabs and barnacles. The meat is fabulous and I'd trade all the trout for the two sheepshead.

JJ_BPK
08-04-2013, 15:18
Any of the reef fish the eat coral or eat fish that eat coral,, can & do carry Ciguatera. Ciguatera is most common in the warm waters of the coral reefs of the Caribbean.

If you do eat it, I would keep the frequency to 2-3 times a year,, OR LESS.. The poison is accumulative. It may not effect you until you eat XX amount. YMMV..

It is good eating.. Mild white fillets providing you cut out all the red meat.. In some restaurants you will see it on the menu as "bay snapper"

full cooler
08-05-2013, 06:31
JJ is absolutely correct with concern in Caribbean waters; however in South Carolina the last case we had was 2004 and involved Barracuda. I wouldn't put one of those nasty smelling toothy critters in my boat. :D

JJ_BPK
08-05-2013, 07:32
JJ is absolutely correct with concern in Caribbean waters; however in South Carolina the last case we had was 2004 and involved Barracuda. I wouldn't put one of those nasty smelling toothy critters in my boat. :D

Actually, I like cuda,, but it has to be under 18inches. The filet is all white, firm, flaky, & a mild flavor. And it's very plentiful..

But you're correct,, cuda is one of the prime carriers.

The old islander's warning:

"give a piece to the dog,, if it's not dead in the morning, it's GTG.."

Or something to that effect..