PDA

View Full Version : 1911 rail guns?

Chaplain Scott
04-05-2013, 19:37
I am strongly considering getting a 1911 rail gun, probably either Colt or Kimber. It will be used as a duty weapon. Anybody here on the forum have any experience with either?

Thanks!!

pyreaux
04-05-2013, 20:25
Not a fan of kimbers style of firing pin safety. After wear or if improperly timed from the factory it can release the hammer before releasing the firing pin block causing failure to fire and leaving a nice dent in the primer. Also the small pin appears to be easily damaged on mine.

longrange1947
04-05-2013, 20:32
I had the same problem with a colt. Not a fan of those firing pin safeties period.

Ghost_Team
04-05-2013, 22:09
I had a kimber custom tle II, and it was a great gun. I had a surefire x200 mounted on it and it shot accurately and reliably. I got rid of it, but I still have a springfield armory trp without a rail. I had to do a few things with it tho. The two piece extended guide rod kept loosening after some extended range time, and I couldn't use lock tite because the guide rod has to be taken apart to break down the gun. The only company I could find a one piece extended guide rod from was Wilson Combat, so I got it and it solved the problem. I also had issue with the mags that came with the gun. Frankly, they sucked. They generally either failed to feed the round all the way out of the mag or the slide completely closed without ever stripping the round. Enter wilson combat mags, and the problem was solved. It's now a very accurate gun that shoots whatever I load into it and functions perfectly.

mdpatterson
04-06-2013, 00:10
I have quite a few ranging from standard models to complete customs. For the money, the TRP Operator (Not the regular TRP) is the best quality in my experience. It performs just as well as my higher end customs at half the cost. Just my opinion, but definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

Mike

Chaplain Scott
04-06-2013, 06:59
Thanks for the info guys!! Yeah, I'd really like a Wilson, but unlike our present administration, I realize that there are practical limits for my budget :rolleyes:

swatsurgeon
04-06-2013, 07:18
I have the Springfield operator and that was my carry weapon with MCSO. It never had any issues through the 4-5k of rounds down it with a sure fire x- 300 mounted on it

DJ Urbanovsky
04-06-2013, 11:45
I've had nothing but trouble with Kimber. Feedway stoppages (even with Wilson mags). Slide stop walking out. Barrel bushing taking a trip down range. Sold it and bought a Glock. Zero issues there. :munchin

Also had problems with STI. $60 mags that, out of the box, like to squirt rounds out. Doublefeed city. Also, unable to load mags to stated capacity. With vetted mags, the gun was awesome, but it was just too massive for CCW.

Never had an issue with a Springfield. Nor with any of my Glocks. Regardless of caliber or whether I had a light mounted or not.

TacOfficer
04-06-2013, 12:02
I've carried Sig P220 DAK for almost ten years on duty. Never had a malfunction.

Team Sergeant
04-07-2013, 11:27
I carried a 1911 for decades and I never had one that worked without malfunctions. To this day I love all the drills we did to remediate all the malfunctions the 1911 is capable of..... In my opinion they are nothing more than boat anchors and should be treated as such. There's hundreds of better weapons out there. Do your own research or I hope you have picked out a gunsmith for your new 1911 purchase. 1911 it was state of the art 101 years ago......

Carrying "cocked and locked", it's so cliché. Ever wonder why there's no one out there designing a handgun (besides the 1911 clones) that is carried cocked and locked? Enjoy.

Dusty
04-07-2013, 12:08
I carried a 1911 for decades and I never had one that worked without malfunctions. To this day I love all the drills we did to remediate all the malfunctions the 1911 is capable of.....

I used to be surprised if I got through a session with a 1911 without having some type of failure to (whatever). With HK, I'd be stunned to experience a single instance.

I think that's why Glock took over for the LEO world after Miami-an autoloader that nearly always functions.

I haven't kept up with the CAG guys for a long time, but I'd think they'd switch over at some point from the 1911 system (if they haven't already).

koz
04-07-2013, 21:03
I haven't kept up with the CAG guys for a long time, but I'd think they'd switch over at some point from the 1911 system (if they haven't already).

Several years ago, they switched to Glocks. Guys still have 1911's but they don't work well in the desert...

tom kelly
04-07-2013, 21:55
This particular pistol was developed for SOCOM on an RFP. Basically it is a .45 ACP with stringent operational requirements demanded for a combat handgun. Accuracy is comparable to custom-built match pistols. The pistol was tested for accuracy after firing over 30,000 rounds, the specified service life of a pistol; this would be 600 50 round boxes of .45 ACP ammunition at @ $29.00/box total cost would run @ $ 17,400. The pistol has a 5.87 inch threaded barrel & according to the Technical people at Heckler & Koch (in Columbus GA.) Knight's Armament is the only sound suppressor ever tested with this pistol. The pistol does not come with night sights but you can have them added . As with most products from Heckler & Koch they are expensive & usually not available...Iam sure their are other OP's on this site have better info on this weapon system than I do & I would appreciate any comments they have to offer.
Regard's.....Tom Kelly

Richard
04-07-2013, 22:08
I like the Sig 229R in .40 S&W - however, I'll gladly use whatever is at hand when I need it.

Richard :munchin

Dusty
04-08-2013, 05:59
Several years ago, they switched to Glocks. Guys still have 1911's but they don't work well in the desert...

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

I've had 2 19's, a 17, a 22 and a 30 over the years, but never kept them more than a few months, because I couldn't get used to the trigger. I don't ever remember any of KB's or failures to function, but I just didn't spend enough time to get used to them.

I plan on getting a Sig 239 DA/SA when one becomes available.

(Not to hijack away from 1911 rail guns...)

TacOfficer
04-08-2013, 07:05
After all the talk of HKs on this forum, it's nice see that a few QPs use SIGs, let alone appreciate them. :cool:

frostfire
04-08-2013, 09:57
Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

I've had 2 19's, a 17, a 22 and a 30 over the years, but never kept them more than a few months, because I couldn't get used to the trigger. I don't ever remember any of KB's or failures to function, but I just didn't spend enough time to get used to them.

I plan on getting a Sig 239 DA/SA when one becomes available.

(Not to hijack away from 1911 rail guns...)

I will always treasure the 1911 as it's the first model ever I could shoot hole-in-hole. It's also still the most hand/grip friendly IMHOO. If you look at the handle cross section, then your hand cross section from under with fingers flexed, it's an elliptical shape. Not a tapered rectangle (ahem....glocks)

Having said that, once I solidified muscle memory/neuro pathway with a G17, I never looked back. Besides, once D Sevigny beat $2000+ 1911 custom with his $600 G34 on national and international matches, the switch was obvious. Also, glock mod costs a few bucks here and there vs. 1911's few hundreds here and there. I experimented with the G17 striker spring and hard primers ie. reducing the coil to the point where it can still ignite hard primers. Now, it has "almost" a 1911 or HK SA pull to it.No prob with 100 yds torso shot.

Had it not for the match M9 I'm saving for, I too was planning to get the Sig 239. Dead solid reliable. I was teaching a 14 yo lady with poor forearm strength and that G17 never survived one shot without FTE, FT full battery, etc. Switched her to Sig239 and not a single failure. With renewed confidence in the tool, she was able to focus more on fundamentals and got all head shots at 10 yards. For a first timer, I called her intro session a success.

Ditto on the CAG switch to glock. At least the three of them I ran into at separate time and place verified it. The maintenance cost of 1911 vs glock was a stark contrast.

oops...sorry for the hijack.....threads on 1911 tend to get hijacked a lot here :D

Dusty
04-08-2013, 10:24
Also, glock mod costs a few bucks here and there vs. 1911's few hundreds here and there.

Please PM me with modifications you used to get a (almost) 1911 trigger pull.

MR2
04-08-2013, 10:52
Please PM me with modifications you used to get a (almost) 1911 trigger pull.

Me too!

FlagDayNCO
04-08-2013, 11:02
An excellent read for 1911 duty use is www.10-8performance.com as a well thought out information resource. Go to the tab "Articles" and you'll see numerous articles covering selection, magazines, manufacturing, etc. This is updated regularly and is all real world information.

I own a Kimber Custom TLE II and as was said to me when I took their excellent 1911 user course, THE GLOCK APPRECIATION CLASS. They offer a course other than the Armorers Course, which showed me all the potential problems of the 1911.

Plain and simple, the 1911 has become a hobby gun. If you own one, you need to own a second so you have one available when the other one gets sent off for repairs. Also, units that carry the 1911 have full-time Armorers to maintain them. Do you?

Magazines are all Chip McCormick for me. Some types of Wilson mags have shown to be no good; the version with the slot down the middle flexes and goes out of shape.

I like my 1911, but I carry a SIG 220 for work. That being said, going global would have a Glock on my side, as they are everywhere and parts follow.

Of note with my Kimber, I have an external extractor, though it is a Seriess II pistol. I was told Kimber went back to an internal extractor. During our class, I was able to take the pistol down to every pin and spring. It took five hands to hold all the parts for the unique Kimber extractor assembly to line up all the pins and springs. Not something you want to attempt in the middle of some foreign land or even a living room.

As much as I like the 1911, and the SIG, the HK45C is what will replace the others. SIG has had some QC issues over the years, but I have never had a failure with either 220 or 226 I own. The Kimber 1911 is a tack driver, but I did have a couple of failures to lock back. Replacement of a part fixed that, but it sticks in my mind and has been said here... We do as many 1911 drills to work around the failure as we do to operate it.

Buy an HK and never compromise. :D

FlagDayNCO

MR2
04-08-2013, 13:58
http://www.10-8performance.com/

CW3SF
04-09-2013, 06:53
IMHO, saying all 1911s are ill produced and breakage prone is like saying all Harley's Spew oil and cant stay on the road. What was true 20 years ago is not necessarily true today. There are plenty of well built, high quality 1911s on the market today at varying price points.

For reference, I carry a Glock 22 for duty carry and a 27 for off duty (only because my agency requires it). I am my agencies National Armorer and I fix broken Glocks almost daily. They are not bulletproof and they require maintenance/repairs just like any other weapon. They are not the holy grail of pistols that Glocks marketing machine would have you believe. Don't get me wrong, they are a reliable, serviceable option but they are not the end all, be all. The same can be said of pretty much any other major brand, IMO.

My recommendation to the OP is that you'll get your money's worth and a reliable weapon from the major companies' mass produced 1911s such as Springfield or Kimber. If you have the funds go with a reputable custom builder and have one built to your specs (such as Wilson or Ed Brown).

The main thing is to become as proficient as possible with whatever weapon you settle on.

Dusty
04-09-2013, 07:18
When I get big, I'm gonna get a Sig just like Ziva's. :D

Chaplain Scott
04-10-2013, 07:42
Thanks to everybody for the input--I actually do appreciate it.

I have put a Colt Rail gun on order. I decided to stick with the 1911, primarily because it just fits my small hands so well, and I shoot it well.

Another factor is that all my holsters, mags, mag pouches etc. are for 1911s. With all the $$ I'm laying out for this volunteer Sheriff's Reserve, all I can say is I've got this pain in the pocketbook. (in fact, I learned just yesterday that the dept. doesn't even provide us Reserve Deputies with portable radios--so I get to add that to the growing list of stuff to buy)---its a good thing my wife is a patient and understanding woman. :D

Dusty
04-10-2013, 07:54
Thanks to everybody for the input--I actually do appreciate it.

I have put a Colt Rail gun on order. I decided to stick with the 1911, primarily because it just fits my small hands so well, and I shoot it well.

Another factor is that all my holsters, mags, mag pouches etc. are for 1911s. With all the $$ I'm laying out for this volunteer Sheriff's Reserve, all I can say is I've got this pain in the pocketbook. (in fact, I learned just yesterday that the dept. doesn't even provide us Reserve Deputies with portable radios--so I get to add that to the growing list of stuff to buy)---its a good thing my wife is a patient and understanding woman. :D

If I may make a suggestion: When you get the gun, detail disassemble it and soak all the metal parts (everything but the grips) in mineral oil overnight. Scrub the parts with a toothbrush, wipe them down and then clean it as you normally would, but leave a fairly heavy film of CLP or whatever you use on the parts and reassemble it. Then fire as many rounds as you can afford (at least a couple hundred, if you can get it) of your duty ammo through the weapon. After that, detail disassemble it again, clean and lube normally.

Chaplain Scott
04-10-2013, 09:29
Dusty: Thanks for the recommendation--I'll give it a shot (pun intended), once it comes in--its on backorder and the dealer said he had no idea when he might get one in.......

Dusty
04-10-2013, 09:32
Dusty: Thanks for the recommendation--I'll give it a shot (pun intended), once it comes in--its on backorder and the dealer said he had no idea when he might get one in.......

Well, that'll give you time to stock up on ammo...wait. ;)

CW3SF
04-10-2013, 16:07
Congrats. I think you'll be happy. Here's a pic of my custom Colt Officers. One of my favorites.

MAB32
04-10-2013, 18:01
I have a basic GI 1911A1 from Springfield Armory. Nothing fancy, just a "vanilla" handgun. About two years ago while qualifying for Title 18 carry, it malfunctioned three times. I still passed but was concerned a little because I was using Winchester SXT at the time. My Instructor (a ret. QP) and I had a problem with trying to figure out what was going wrong. So I sent it back to SA along with the magazine I was using and advised them that this was my carry gun and explained the malfunctions. I even advised them the ammo used.

Got it back within 2 weeks with a new barrel and fitted barrel bushing. Since then it hasn't malfunctioned once.

With that kind of unexpected service, I'm going to stay with them. It is a great Winter handgun for Title 18 carry but not so much in the summer. Going to go with something this summer that is smaller and that I can hide while running/walking.

Kind of tired carrying the .45 in Blackhawks version of this www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html and being asked all the time, "Where's the Puppy?":rolleyes:

Dusty
04-10-2013, 18:04
I have a basic GI 1911A1 from Springfield Armory. Nothing fancy, just a "vanilla" handgun. About two years ago while qualifying for Title 18 carry, it malfunctioned three times. I still passed but was concerned a little because I was using Winchester SXT at the time. My Instructor (a ret. QP) and I had a problem with trying to figure out what was going wrong. So I sent it back to SA along with the magazine I was using and advised them that this was my carry gun and explained the malfunctions. I even advised them the ammo used.

Got it back within 2 weeks with a new barrel and fitted barrel bushing. Since then it hasn't malfunctioned once.

With that kind of unexpected service, I'm going to stay with them. It is a great Winter handgun for Title 18 carry but not so much in the summer. Going to go with something this summer that is smaller and that I can hide while running/walking.

Kind of tired carrying the .45 in Blackhawks version of this www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html and being asked all the time, "Where's the Puppy?":rolleyes:

The Reaper introduced me in a post of his on carry pistols to the Springfield XDS, 6 rounds of .45 ACP in a comfortable platform about an inch wide.

MAB32
04-10-2013, 18:18
The Reaper introduced me in a post of his on carry pistols to the Springfield XDS, 6 rounds of .45 ACP in a comfortable platform about an inch wide.

Hmmm, had my mind set on a Glock 9mm. Will take a look at that one though, however it might be in 9mm.

Thanks.

MR2
04-10-2013, 18:24
I like the XDs .45 as well. Still need put some rounds through it to get proficient.

The XDs in 9mm has started shipping and you should see quite a few by July.

Dusty
04-10-2013, 18:25
Hmmm, had my mind set on a Glock 9mm. Will take a look at that one though, however it might be in 9mm.

Thanks.

.45, .40, .45 GAP, .357 Sig or 9mm, I believe, are all available when they have them.

MAB32
04-10-2013, 18:47
In July.....sheesh

On Glocks, going with their "Blue Line" I am still looking at a few months wait for one of them.

zeke
04-11-2013, 09:18
The Smith and Wesson Shield in 9mm and .40 is very concealable. They seem very reliable for everyone else but me. My .40 was failing to feed Remington Golden Sabre until I polished the feed ramp. Then yesterday the end of the recoil spring broke. Still waiting to hear from S&W.

The local gunshop said that there should be a .45 ACP version coming out this year. The Shields are all single stack.

Brian C
04-11-2013, 09:46
In July.....sheesh

On Glocks, going with their "Blue Line" I am still looking at a few months wait for one of them.

My partner was quoted being a few months out on a Gen 3 G19 and it took 2-3 weeks.

frostfire
04-12-2013, 12:45
I am my agencies National Armorer and I fix broken Glocks almost daily. They are not bulletproof and they require maintenance/repairs just like any other weapon. They are not the holy grail of pistols that Glocks marketing machine would have you believe. Don't get me wrong, they are a reliable, serviceable option but they are not the end all, be all. The same can be said of pretty much any other major brand, IMO.

Word!
After 4 years and prob 140k+ dry fire (I built habit of dry firing before bed and upon waking up, or anytime I got the "itch" lol), my firing pin actually broke while racking. John at Shooter Supply is the man. He got it fixed in no time for zilch. I always try to spend some smackaroo in his shop. John is good people.

That is why I've never flaunted glock as the best thing since invention of fire. In fact, I would tell people there are much more reliable, more user friendly, but also more $$$$ secondaries out there. The question I presented to potential glocker is always whether that more something is worth the $$$ difference to them. Thus, I do advertise glock as the best buy out there.

My partner was quoted being a few months out on a Gen 3 G19 and it took 2-3 weeks.

never knew there's a wait line for blue line now. When I got mine straight out of the Smyrna factory from SPD, I paid $399. Around here you should not pay more than $425 before tax, and it should come with three hi-cap mags. Looking back now, I should have stuck with the shark-gills gen 3, and avoided gen 4. The trigger-pull quality tradeoff to allow that smaller grip.....:boohoo

SF18C
04-13-2013, 13:25

I got one today!!!! I soooo want to head out to the range RIGHT NOW but HH6 is at work and if go without her there will be hell to pay....I can't wait for tomorrow!

Dusty
04-13-2013, 14:15
I got one today!!!! I soooo want to head out to the range RIGHT NOW but HH6 is at work and if go without her there will be hell to pay....I can't wait for tomorrow!

How'd it go finding bullets?

SF18C
04-13-2013, 15:19
How'd it go finding bullets?

.45 was plentiful

and back to the original thread topic...there were a few Colt 1911 Rail guns on the shelf...$1000 range.

DJ Urbanovsky
04-14-2013, 13:15
Wait - you put 140,000+ rounds through your Glock, plus what one would presume is at least twice as much dry fire, and your firing pin finally broke - but there are more reliable and user friendly pistols out there? Do tell...

Word!
After 4 years and prob 140k+ dry fire (I built habit of dry firing before bed and upon waking up, or anytime I got the "itch" lol), my firing pin actually broke while racking. John at Shooter Supply is the man. He got it fixed in no time for zilch. I always try to spend some smackaroo in his shop. John is good people.

That is why I've never flaunted glock as the best thing since invention of fire. In fact, I would tell people there are much more reliable, more user friendly, but also more $$$$ secondaries out there. The question I presented to potential glocker is always whether that more something is worth the $$$ difference to them. Thus, I do advertise glock as the best buy out there.

frostfire
04-14-2013, 22:00
Wait - you put 140,000+ rounds through your Glock, plus what one would presume is at least twice as much dry fire, and your firing pin finally broke - but there are more reliable and user friendly pistols out there? Do tell...

I wrote dry fire, not rounds. I simply can't afford 100000+ rounds LMAO :D

IIRC, the HKP30 tested at pistoltrainingdotcom guys have higher round count and less part breakage than the glock. Also, plenty vids on youtube showing stock HK USP successfully fired held sideway with totally limp wrist with stock new non-modified glock failing the same test. Same success with SIG 226. Finally, Ive met many with non-big-sasquatch palm preferring the P30 grip to glock.

Thus, more reliable and more user friendly.

TacOfficer
04-14-2013, 22:00
Sig P220

+1 :D

Chaplain Scott
08-29-2013, 19:57
:munchin Since I started this thread some time ago, I thought that I would update it: Believe it or not, I actually listened to what some of you guys had to say :eek:

As a new duty weapon, rather than a 1911 rail gun, after a lot of research and a lot of soul searching, I went with a new Sig 229R-1, in the Enhanced Elite version (with Beavertail) in .357 Sig. (Glocks are fine weapons, but I just don't like their feel in my hand)

This is my first Sig, and I must say that I am impressed, and with the 14 rd Mec-Gar mags, it seems like I can shoot forever without changing mags :D

I like the double-action first shot--makes it a little harder to have an AD and shoot somebody that I really wasn't sure needed to be shot. The Short Reset Trigger is almost as nice as a good 1911.........

Thanks to all for the good recommendations and helping me to take a good hard look at what made the most sense.

kgoerz
08-30-2013, 08:15
MARSOC just purchased new 1911 pistols for the school house and the teams. It was a five million dollar contract. After doing the math they paid $5000 per gun. They didn't prep the surface before applying the Cerekote so it is already worn off the guns. They applied the cerekote to the inside also so all the new guns gunk up and don't work after the first hundred rounds.
It's 2013. 1911 is a good gun but there are so many better ones out there. One of the commanders who wanted the 1911 over the Glock said "we don't need any plastic pussy type weapon"

CW3SF
08-30-2013, 09:36
MARSOC just purchased new 1911 pistols for the school house and the teams. It was a five million dollar contract. After doing the math they paid $5000 per gun. They didn't prep the surface before applying the Cerekote so it is already worn off the guns. They applied the cerekote to the inside also so all the new guns gunk up and don't work after the first hundred rounds.
It's 2013. 1911 is a good gun but there are so many better ones out there. One of the commanders who wanted the 1911 over the Glock said "we don't need any plastic pussy type weapon"

Sounds like they were destined to have issues no matter what weapon they chose. You can't fix stupid. ;)

ES 96
08-30-2013, 12:16

Perhaps something like Severn's Hardhat (nitrocarburizing like Tenifer, Melonite, but lower temp‎) would have been the better way to go if stuck with 1911s anyway?

https://severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html

The Reaper
08-30-2013, 12:47
Perhaps something like Severn's Hardhat (nitrocarburizing like Tenifer, Melonite, but lower temp‎) would have been the better way to go if stuck with 1911s anyway?

https://severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html

Concur completely.

Idiot writes the specs, don't blame the weapons designer.

John M. Browning's 1911s ran for thousands of rounds MTBS/MTBF.

TR

TacOfficer
08-31-2013, 09:09
:munchin Since I started this thread some time ago, I thought that I would update it: Believe it or not, I actually listened to what some of you guys had to say :eek:

As a new duty weapon, rather than a 1911 rail gun, after a lot of research and a lot of soul searching, I went with a new Sig 229R-1, in the Enhanced Elite version (with Beavertail) in .357 Sig. (Glocks are fine weapons, but I just don't like their feel in my hand)

This is my first Sig, and I must say that I am impressed, and with the 14 rd Mec-Gar mags, it seems like I can shoot forever without changing mags :D

I like the double-action first shot--makes it a little harder to have an AD and shoot somebody that I really wasn't sure needed to be shot. The Short Reset Trigger is almost as nice as a good 1911.........

Thanks to all for the good recommendations and helping me to take a good hard look at what made the most sense.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. SIG has never disappointed me. I've had a P220 DAK (my dept will only allow, DAO or striker fire weapons) for over 10 years without malfunctioning once. Last year I picked up a Glock G17 Gen4. Stove pipped 3 times in 20 rounds, and kept flicking brass in my face. Factory said there was a design flaw in the ejector and sent out a new one. Works fine now. Since that fiasco I put the new E2 grips on my SIG and could not be happier. Those E2 grips in my opinion are the shizz. Say what you will about DAK, it is smooth.

Chaplain Scott
08-31-2013, 21:12
Here it is--its a sweet shooter :D

TacOfficer
09-01-2013, 08:58
Here it is--its a sweet shooter :D

She's a beauty!

Welcome to the club.

frostfire
09-02-2013, 10:19
"we don't need any plastic pussy type weapon"

well, I guess the British Royal Marines, CIF, Singapore SEALS, and certain "units" are all aficionado of plastic-pussy-type weapons :D:p

Concur with the E2 grip. I wish I can put it on glocks, Larue grip, AK, sig232 and so on

I've come to dislike the slide release location on the sig though. It does not allow that as-high-and-forward firing hand position. The R thumb rides on the release, causing the pistol to fail to slide-lock after last round. More of PITA than any serious prob but still. The problem is exacerbated with use of gloves, which increases the size of your firing hand thumb and easily snags the slide release down. The problem is evident with the 2 SEALS I'm passing all my surgical-marksmanship knowledge/skills to. Their SOP is shoot with gloves on. They were convinced their 226 need to be sent back to the factory until I demonstrated then had them demonstrate the failure to slide-lock is user caused.

TacOfficer
09-02-2013, 18:05
well, I guess the British Royal Marines, CIF, Singapore SEALS, and certain "units" are all aficionado of plastic-pussy-type weapons :D:p

Concur with the E2 grip. I wish I can put it on glocks, Larue grip, AK, sig232 and so on

I've come to dislike the slide release location on the sig though. It does not allow that as-high-and-forward firing hand position. The R thumb rides on the release, causing the pistol to fail to slide-lock after last round. More of PITA than any serious prob but still. The problem is exacerbated with use of gloves, which increases the size of your firing hand thumb and easily snags the slide release down. The problem is evident with the 2 SEALS I'm passing all my surgical-marksmanship knowledge/skills to. Their SOP is shoot with gloves on. They were convinced their 226 need to be sent back to the factory until I demonstrated then had them demonstrate the failure to slide-lock is user caused.

I haven't had much of a problem with the slide lock myself although I can see how it can be an issue. It may have something to do with me shooting the same weapon for over 10 years and over time, becoming familiar with P220's particulars.

FWIW, I've got nothing against Glocks. I think someone on this forum once said "You can't have too many.....". :D

beungood
02-17-2014, 10:53
We have had alotmofmproblems with our Sig 226R dak's. I thinks the worst trigger going. The Armorer wants.to try and convince them to switch to Flock or S&W M&P or another high Quality .45.