PDA

View Full Version : P Mags?

Utah Bob
03-05-2013, 17:16
Just got my email from Magpul confirming my eligibility to buy mags direct from them. So I'm getting ready to dsend in my order. I've always used windowless M3s. Any distinct advantage to the windowed M2, and are they as durable?

69harley
03-05-2013, 17:46
The Gen 2 Pmags had issues with releasing from some magazine wells. The Gen3 pmags eliminated that problem.

FYI -There is somewhat of a growing movement to boycot Magpul as a result of them offering pmags to cops ahead of everyone else. To include those in ban states.

There is a pretty good discussion on this over at SOCNET. Name of the thread is 'Don't Buy From Magpul'. Seems to have pretty good support.

For what it's worth, I like my pmags, but will probably not buy anymore. There are other companies that make pretty good polymer mags. Tango Down comes to mind.

Utah Bob
03-05-2013, 18:12
The Gen 2 Pmags had issues with releasing from some magazine wells. The Gen3 pmags eliminated that problem.

FYI -There is somewhat of a growing movement to boycot Magpul as a result of them offering pmags to cops ahead of everyone else. To include those in ban states.

There is a pretty good discussion on this over at SOCNET. Name of the thread is 'Don't Buy From Magpul'. Seems to have pretty good support.

For what it's worth, I like my pmags, but will probably not buy anymore. There are other companies that make pretty good polymer mags. Tango Down comes to mind.
That's BS in my opinion.

Magpul has stated they will move from Colorado and take the jobs with them if the 15 round mag limit passes the legislature despite the amendment inserted to try to molklify them by stateing the hicap mags can be manufactured in Colorado but not sold here.. They are selling mags direct to Colorado residents right now and bypassing retailers. I'll stand behind them. They're a good company.

nousdefions
03-05-2013, 19:50
From the Magpul website (http://www.magpul.com/ourgear.html)

NEWS

01-Mar-13 22:35
Regarding LEO Sales

March 1st, 2013

Back in 1990, when I was deployed in Desert Shield and Desert Storm as a Marine grunt, some companies prioritized me items for my M16 for shipping that I purchased with my own funds. After getting out and forming Magpul in 1999, I established the same priority policy for Military and Law Enforcement, due to the requirements of their profession.

The same policy has been in place for 13 years now and has never been an issue until a few days ago. I do not support the idea that individual police officers should be punished for the actions of their elected officials. That said, I understand the concerns that some have with Law Enforcement officers getting special treatment while at the same time denouncing second amendment rights to another citizen in the same state.

With the fight in Colorado right now we do not have time to implement a new program, so I have suspended all LE sales to ban states until we can implement a system wherein any Law Enforcement Officer buying for duty use will have to promise to uphold their oath to the US Constitution - specifically the second and fourteenth amendments - as it applies to all citizens.

Richard Fitzpatrick

President/CEO - Founder

Magpul Industries

69harley
03-05-2013, 22:08
That's BS in my opinion.

Magpul has stated they will move from Colorado and take the jobs with them if the 15 round mag limit passes the legislature despite the amendment inserted to try to molklify them by stateing the hicap mags can be manufactured in Colorado but not sold here.. They are selling mags direct to Colorado residents right now and bypassing retailers. I'll stand behind them. They're a good company.

Did you read their previous statement? That one made allot of people mad and got the attention of Magpul. Now this. What oath and who are they swearing it to, how is it enforced? They are waffling.

Peregrino
03-05-2013, 22:19
Thanks ND. I wasn't aware of the SOCNET controversy. Personally, I'm satisfied with the explanation contained in the notice you reposted. I will continue to purchase Magpul products.

69harley
03-05-2013, 22:23
So you are OK with Magpul saying they will eventually resume selling pmags to LEO in ban states once they have a system in place for cops to swear some allegiance to support the 2a?

Utah Bob
03-05-2013, 23:39
Oh fuggit. Nevermind :rolleyes:

Streck-Fu
03-06-2013, 09:02
Any distinct advantage to the windowed M2.....

In my experience, not much. I have both and only about 8-9 or 10 rounds are visible in the window so once it goes light in weight, it's not like you can check to see if you have 2 or 4 rounds left.

I still buy them when I can just because I can see if it is full or a few rounds short.

longrange1947
03-06-2013, 10:08
Harley, for what it is worth, they are selling to individual LEO and not to the state. Stop the madness!!!

Shhhheeeessssssshhhhhhh. :rolleyes:

Razor
03-06-2013, 16:35
So you are OK with Magpul saying they will eventually resume selling pmags to LEO in ban states once they have a system in place for cops to swear some allegiance to support the 2a?

Yup, since they're relying on one's personal honor to make the system work. If you want to boycott Magpul, feel free...more mags for me (while I still can).

JoeyB
03-06-2013, 18:57
PMags for all! They will continue to get my full support and business

Peregrino
03-06-2013, 21:30

Yes. Sometimes "good enough" will have to do. And I'm not even going to insist they become "Oathkeepers". (Ridiculous concept BTW - if the individual's original oath to "uphold and defend" isn't adequate, why does anyone expect another oath layered on top to be any more effective.) Besides - They're selling to individual officers, not their agencies. And IIRC the recent NY law prohibits LEOs from owning hicap mags too.

Surgicalcric
03-06-2013, 21:43
Did you read their previous statement? That one made allot of people mad and got the attention of Magpul. Now this. What oath and who are they swearing it to, how is it enforced? They are waffling.

It is a tough position to be in and it appears Mr Fitzpatrick is handling it in a manner that respects the 2A and individual rights.

Feel free to take your business elsewhere. I am sure there are quite a few of us who are more than happy with their stance at this time.

69harley
03-06-2013, 21:45
LE agencies are not like the military, most patrol officers buy their own duty rifles and mags. By selling to individual LEOs, Magpul is in effect selling to LE agencies.

I am really surprised at the attitude towards Magpul on this forum. Admittedly, SOCNET is not PS.com, but there are some pretty smart guys over there. Their discussion on this is several pages long and has a very different tone.

I agree that part about the oath from Magpul is weak.

Ambush Master
03-06-2013, 21:46
It is a tough position to be in and it appears Mr Fitzpatrick is handling it in a manner that respects the 2A and individual rights.

Feel free to take your business elsewhere. I am sure there are quite a few of us who are more than happy with their stance at this time.

HERE HERE!!!

Utah Bob
03-06-2013, 21:50
If I wanted to start a discussion on Magpul's support of the Constitution and business practices I would have posted this on the freaking Soapbox.
Thanks to all who posted or PMd me the info I was looking for.
Carry on.
Utah out.

Justinmd
03-11-2013, 19:42
Man am I tired of this anti-Magpul BS. Those guys have been balls deep in a huge fight for gun rights in CO and people want to bag on them for not tackling the NY issue. Hell they don't even sell direct normally, they ship to wholesalers. Magpul is putting their money where there mouth is, and it's gonna cost them a lot of money to move. Rich and I had a long discussion about the LE issue, along with all the other stuff. The situation is very delicate and a phrase could be used as a summary that all QP's who've been to a certain camp know, "Insulate not Isolate". That is in direct regard to LE.

The boycott Magpul stuff is foolish bullshit and any half intelligent person can see that divisiveness will not help the situation; further if they saw the effort and struggle that Magpul put forth they would feel pretty ashamed.

The bills passed the house and senate and will likely be signed into law. When the D's control all three chambers and don't give a shit about anyone outside their federally mandated agenda (almost no defense of mag bill by senate D's, passed along party lines in house and committees), there's not much else you can do besides leave in spite of the cost of moving a company that large.

Justin

Peregrino
03-11-2013, 21:23
Justin - Concur; wholeheartedly! Now for the important question - Can you share info on where they're going and when they'll be back in full production? As soon as I get finished paying for the new transmission my truck decided it just had to have, I'll be in the market for more Magpul product. :munchin

longrange1947
03-11-2013, 21:24
Ahhhh P, did your truck have a boo boo. :D

Peregrino
03-11-2013, 21:38
It was all the torque that makes it First On Race Day that left it Found On Road Dead! Damn transmission has always been the weak link in the 7.3 Diesels. When all's said and done, it'll be about $4200 that I was planning on spending on some bang stick upgrades that now won't happen for a while. Plenty of time for Magpul to get settled into their new digs and get back to full production.

Streck-Fu
03-12-2013, 05:52
I don't think, more correctly, I remember reading, that Magpul has several subcontractors providing products so their production is not tied to Colorado. They should be able to maintain production even while management and engineering move out of Colorado.

Personally, I eagerly await their Mossberg products....:)

Justinmd
03-13-2013, 22:01
I know what the transmission issue is like. We put 3 in our Chevy diesel I think, and a transfer case. Toyota SUV's for me now!

Magpul is in full production as we speak, actually pedal to the floor type of production. There's still a glimmer of hope on the bills not passing all the way into law, well not in my eyes. CO is 90% like Wyoming and the rest of the west and 10% like SoCal. Unfortunately that's looking at it goegraphically not raw population numbers.

When they have to move, they'll be smart about it and do a partial move, get the new place up and running, then move the rest and close up CO ops. I don't know any details but I know they've been wargaming this for several weeks now. the whole deal will take time for sure. They got really big in the years since I was there, and they weren't tiny then.

Justin

Utah Bob
03-14-2013, 06:01
Orderd my mags from the good folks at Magpul and I'll continue to be a loyal customer when they leave. (at least what I can legally buy):mad:
Now we have to try to get these lefty, anti-gun assholes out of the state assembly. They'd be able to find work in the burgeoning marijuana farm industry except they'd have to get their hands dirty and that would be icky.

Old Dog New Trick
03-14-2013, 07:49
I provided my support as recently as last night. :D
The boycott is stupid and against the wrong people AFAIC.

The Reaper
03-14-2013, 16:32
They tried to pass an exemption for military personnel, and some fat female legislatrix shot it down because she thought all military personnel are crazy, to some degree.

TR

Javadrinker
03-15-2013, 16:59
I have been adding my support for 2A rights in Colorado, Nebraska, Oregon and any others that need the voice, mail, or email.
As an out of stater, the most I can do is let my money do my talking and I will boycott; investigate and not purchase; any product made in these states. I will not be spending any money vacationing in any of these states.
It certainly does look like not even our money means anything if Bloomburg is going to be backing everyone.

dfirsty
03-18-2013, 22:45
My .02 as an LEO in a state that will probably never ban "hi-cap" mags is in full support of Magpul. Before I say why ill put it out there that I have not been able to get my account to allow me to order directly from them yet so I haven't participated in the program.

My department issues Brownells 20rd mags that have been less than impressive. Officers are required to buy any other mags on our own and if any bans did go into effect they probably won't give letterhead for official purchase (they didn't under the '94 ban).

With that being said I think it's pretty stand up of Magpul to help out LEO's to get mags that are essentially disposable (let's face it, they eventually break) without having to pay the inflated prices a lot of distributors are charging. This step alone will keep me a loyal customer.

Derek

35NCO
03-20-2013, 12:44
In my experience, not much. I have both and only about 8-9 or 10 rounds are visible in the window so once it goes light in weight, it's not like you can check to see if you have 2 or 4 rounds left.

I still buy them when I can just because I can see if it is full or a few rounds short.

Respectfully and giving you the benefit of the doubt,
Do yours have the orange marker on the spring? When the rounds go passed the window you can track your rounds with the marker on the spring. I know its not really practical to how much time you may really have to be checking your ammo in some kind of engagement, but really that’s what the spring marker is designed for.

frostfire
03-20-2013, 21:55
I lost count how many ar15 and ar10 mags magpul gave away at ft bragg club and range 37.
Magpul is good people imho. Looking forward to get their prs