PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Racism...

BKKMAN
02-20-2013, 19:21
I think that I have had my fill for one lifetime of liberal race-baiting, perceived slights to minorities, and the "where's Waldo?" dissection of photos, cartoons, and literature to "find racism"...cue Toure' Neblett and Harry Belafonte to start beating the race drum...

Racists (http://nation.foxnews.com/sports-illustrated/2013/02/14/liberals-call-si-swimsuit-issue-racist)

More Racists (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/15/sports-illustrated-racist-exotic-swimsuit_n_2696162.html)

To all liberals...PM me and I will give you my address so that you can drive over and line up at my front door to be throat-punched...

Stargazer
02-20-2013, 19:30
Yep, me too. Un-fair.org campaign sealed the deal for me.

s
02-20-2013, 20:43
What the hell is wrong with people?
First some nonsense about Kate Upton being too chunky for the cover of SI, now they're being racist. Can't some people just sit back and relax for 5 goddam' minutes while they drool over some hot babes on a magazine?

GratefulCitizen
02-20-2013, 23:01
There's people in the photos other than the model?
Never noticed.

DJ Urbanovsky
02-21-2013, 14:18
Some people are awfully sensitive these days...

SF18C
02-21-2013, 14:31
Some people are awfully sensitive these days...

That’s cause some folks aint seen real racism in a while!

BKKMAN
02-21-2013, 15:32
Yep, me too. Un-fair.org campaign sealed the deal for me.

You mean these folks? (warning: the unfaircampaign.org site may pop your "blocked site" banner on a .gov computer, so it might be considered NSFW)

WTF? (http://unfaircampaign.org/)

Recent news on the Unfair Campaign...

http://newsone.com/2237396/unfair-campaign-psa/

You have to love a website that is dedicated to making my life one long "mea culpa" for having been born white...

Sigaba
02-21-2013, 15:45
Who makes the call as to what is or isn't racism?

Does the fact that many forms of easily identifiable racism are no longer in vogue mean that we've turned some sort of a corner?

Or does it mean racism in American culture is taking different forms that are all the more nefarious because they're expressed subtly?

If Sports Illustrated photographers were to show up at a location where young American girls congregate--i.e. where yourdaughters, nieces, and other kinfolk are--and wanted to take some photos of scantily clad women along side of those girls, what would the reaction be?

On a more serious note, I'm personally alarmed that members of this BB would so quickly poo poo the criticism without doing more in depth research. We've been gift wrapped a reason to look closely at every SI swimsuit issue. Our concerns with the implications of "political correctness" (what ever that is) should not cause the kind of rush to judgment that keep us from looking at hundreds of photos of very good looking women wearing very little.

My $0.02.

Pete
02-21-2013, 16:04
...........If Sports Illustrated photographers were to show up at a location where young American girls congregate--i.e. where yourdaughters, nieces, and other kinfolk are--and wanted to take some photos of scantily clad women along side of those girls, what would the reaction be?................

Seriously? School Girls? Maybe school age girls but they look more to me like some sort of cultural dance team. As such I would guess they've been photographed with lots of odd people.

So a person going overseas and having a picture taken of a local and themself is now racist?

Team Sergeant
02-21-2013, 16:15

Does the fact that many forms of easily identifiable racism are no longer in vogue mean that we've turned some sort of a corner?

Or does it mean racism in American culture is taking different forms that are all the more nefarious because they're expressed subtly?

If Sports Illustrated photographers were to show up at a location where young American girls congregate--i.e. where yourdaughters, nieces, and other kinfolk are--and wanted to take some photos of scantily clad women along side of those girls, what would the reaction be?

On a more serious note, I'm personally alarmed that members of this BB would so quickly poo poo the criticism without doing more in depth research. We've been gift wrapped a reason to look closely at every SI swimsuit issue. Our concerns with the implications of "political correctness" (what ever that is) should not cause the kind of rush to judgment that keep us from looking at hundreds of photos of very good looking women wearing very little.

My $0.02.

Not everything requires in depth research to call it bullshit.

Pete
02-21-2013, 16:27
I wonder just how many world travelers have had their picture taken with The Naked Cowboy?

TXGringo
02-21-2013, 17:06

I believe the current Board of National Race-Baiters is occupied by Al Sharpton, Madcow, Schultz, and Jim Clyburn.

Did Sports Illustrated make those girls get into the frame? Were their parents unaware of their participation?

Lan
02-21-2013, 17:15
Societal issue I liken to 'A Message To Garcia'. Most people don't just do anymore. Most Americans believe what they're fed from the Tube because it's easier than thinking.

Today's Americans believe they're owed something from society. That their mere existence graces us all with meaning. I believe this is the root of the issue of this article (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2012/07/02/120702crbo_books_kolbert).

Racism will exist as long as we allow it to. It is my belief from learning what I have about American History, that this nation was founded on a hate of the 'minions'. Meaning most of us, regardless of color, have been oppressed by the elite based on our monetary value. Racism was solidified by the controlling upper class to control the masses. They used it to create a diversion; to divide us. Black from White. I am a white man who hates Obama. Does that make me racist? Nope! But I guarantee you that I'd be labeled a racist if I made that proclamation at the local Wal Mart. (You'd never find me at Wal Mart by the way)

United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

To make matters worse, we offer our children media that detracts their attention away from nature, that makes them less sociable, and ultimately less responsible. I am just as guilty as most parents of this. We live in a media crazed world that makes the average person more interested in what's happening with the Kardashians than it does with their own family. TV, Internet, Radio, and Newspaper are all things we must be keenly aware of that are there for distraction. The most recent debates over gun control have proven to me that the media is there with one primary purpose; distraction.

Problem is, the majority of Americans are the polar opposite of The Matsigenka so they wouldn't know what to do with useful information if it was given to them.

What I am trying to say is that racism is now deeply rooted in our society, and media (Sports Illustrated, TV, etc) serves little purpose other than entertainment and more importantly, distraction. It's mostly one sided and has a powerful influence over the majority of this country.

Sigaba
02-21-2013, 17:31
Did Sports Illustrated make those girls get into the frame? Were their parents unaware of their participation?When you find answers to your questions, you might also ask yourself about the nature of consent in the entertainment industry and how the people producing content push agreements so that they get stretched.

If one signs a release without being fully informed of that document's implications, and one doesn't have the resources to protect one's interests (e.g. an agent, a manager, and an attorney) is one actually consenting or is one being co-opted? That is, does the fact that something is legal mean that it is right?

Paslode
02-21-2013, 17:41
Who makes the call as to what is or isn't racism

That's a good question....maybe the media and special interest groups make the call on the ever evolving definition of racism. By next week it will be frowned upon to say Taco Bell.

The kids are dressed colorful traditional attire and appear to have joyful smiles on their faces. The model isn't(for example)holding a noose, there is no burning cross in the background and there is no racial epitaph to be seen.

I don't see the link...

The Reaper
02-21-2013, 17:42
What about the poor exploited animals?

Don't penguins have rights, too?

TR

Stargazer
02-21-2013, 17:45
You mean these folks? (warning: the unfaircampaign.org site may pop your "blocked site" banner on a .gov computer, so it might be considered NSFW). WTF?

Recent news on t[URL="http://unfaircampaign.orghe Unfair Campaign...

http://newsone.com/2237396/unfair-campaign-psa/

You have to love a website that is dedicated to making my life one long "mea culpa" for having been born white...

Yes, that is the fair-minded group pointing out what is unfair in America. "It's hard to see racism when your white". What a load of crap.

The newsone link is the campaign that brought this organization to my attention.

Stargazer
02-21-2013, 17:50
I don't see the link...

Are you white? If so, that is why you can't see it.

Paslode
02-21-2013, 17:58
Are you white? If so, that is why you can't see it.

Yep, I am a CrAcKeR :D

If Jezebel said SI was making millions on this issue and the didn't compensate this folks I could see where they could make a case of exploitation but that doesn't qualify as racism as I see it.

The Reaper
02-21-2013, 18:09
Yes, that is the fair-minded group pointing out what is unfair in America. "It's hard to see racism when your white". What a load of crap.

The newsone link is the campaign that brought this organization to my attention.

Maybe the corollary should be, "It's hard not to see racism when your not white".

Seems to be the built in excuse for anything some people don't want to hear.

Kill Whitey!

TR

Razor
02-21-2013, 20:04

Here's a start: http://www.merriam-webster.com/

Does the fact that many forms of easily identifiable racism are no longer in vogue mean that we've turned some sort of a corner? Or does it mean racism in American culture is taking different forms that are all the more nefarious because they're expressed subtly?

Wouldn't it mean we've made no progress if those forms of racism still existed? Is the only acceptable form of progress immediate and total?

I guess you've never been to a women's beach volleyball game, a roller derby meet, a competitive cheering tournament or to the beach or the mall lately, huh?

tonyz
02-21-2013, 20:25
I guess you've never been to a women's beach volleyball game, a roller derby meet, a competitive cheering tournament or to the beach or the mall lately, huh?

You could add...or, any SEC football game, most any auto racing event (Indy, NASCAR, F1, etc.,) or a Red Sox game on a warm August afternoon in Fenway...especially the bleacher seats. Although, most any game played in PETCO Park, San Diego is a real eye opener, for me. :D

Lan
02-21-2013, 20:35
Whole Foods Ad Featuring Obama Sparks Uproar (http://redflagnews.com/headlines/whole-foods-chicken-ad-featuring-obama-sparks-uproar)

:rolleyes:

ajls
02-21-2013, 20:43
You could add... a Red Sox game on a warm August afternoon in Fenway...especially the bleacher seats...:D

hey-those seats are HOT! :D NO protection from the sun & generally no breeze to cool you off in August. Girl's got no choice but to wear the minimum required. :p

You could also add walk down any street in the Southern Coastal regions during Spring Break (or really any day between April and November, TBH...)

Sdiver
02-21-2013, 20:56
Thank God I'm NOT a racist .... I hate EVERYONE equally. :munchin

Stargazer
02-23-2013, 14:05
If Jezebel said SI was making millions on this issue and the didn't compensate this folks I could see where they could make a case of exploitation but that doesn't qualify as racism as I see it.

Perhaps SI wanted to capture the culture of the various countries they visited... which includes the people... :)

In an effort to support those who may be interested in researching the motives behind SI, I invite you to view the following made for television special. Viewer discretion is advised -- there are certain scenes that may not be suitable for all individuals such as a model rock climbing in a towel. http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/si-swimsuit-2013

To "The Reaper"... funny about the poor animals... the penguins .. what about the poor white cuckatoos...they're such dirty birds..

:D

BKKMAN
02-23-2013, 14:16
...To "The Reaper"... funny about the poor animals... the penguins .. what about the poor white cuckatoos...they're such dirty RACIST birds..

:D

Fixed that for you...

Stargazer
02-23-2013, 14:23
Fixed that for you...

Thanks! What can I say... "I didn't see it". But let me be clear, I refuse to write it on my face. ;)

Dozer523
03-07-2013, 21:50
What about the poor exploited animals?

Don't penguins have rights, too?

TR WE THE PENGUINS, IN ORDER TO . . .
If so, we may be in big trouble. Aren't we already arming bears?

Razor
03-08-2013, 13:27
WE THE PENGUINS, IN ORDER TO . . .
If so, we may be in big trouble. Aren't we already arming bears?

The MOO-vement is already underway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXybFgTy95g

medic&commo
03-09-2013, 10:21
Racism - Means to further divide people, whether it's real or fabricated.

In this case, crying 'Racism' over using LN's as a back drop for SI is ludicrous.
m&c