PDA

View Full Version : Classes to take???

RedRaider08
01-07-2013, 19:37
Well as I was sitting here registering for my classes, I wondering if there were any college courses i could take that would only benifit me SF wise but in the regular army as well, seeing as i will have to spend a bit of time there as well. Now i understand there wont be any classes on breaching or anything like that. But just anything that could help me better understand the army or think outside the box.

P.S. I am already taking Army ROTC

Dozer523
01-07-2013, 20:48
How about a class on reading stickies, or following instructions , or writing a profile?

RedRaider08
01-07-2013, 21:06
Sorry about that one, jumped the gun a little, I handled it though

Peregrino
01-07-2013, 21:16
I would recommend Modern Standard English, or if not yet ready for that, English as a Second Language. You will find that quality written communications skills will stand you in good stead wherever you go in life.

RedRaider08
01-07-2013, 21:49
I would recommend Modern Standard English, or if not yet ready for that, English as a Second Language. You will find that quality written communications skills will stand you in good stead wherever you go in life.

So i cant tell if your are just saying that my grammar on here is shitty or are actually recommending me to take the class, im leaning towards the former. if you are I must commened you its very witty it took me around 3 reads to see it, if not thanks for the tip.

Peregrino
01-07-2013, 22:13
Both. Your grammar and punctuation are shitty and I'm recommending that you improve them (and then discipline yourself to use what you've learned). You only get one opportunity to make a first impression and in the military (or the corporate world) it's likely to be in the form of a written communication. If one of your posts in its current form were to cross my desk at work, I can guarantee you it would be dismissed without action and the people I work with/for would counsel your supervisor for letting you send it in the first place. Your bosses would then be embarrassed; you can draw your own conclusions about how that would affect your quality of life.

alelks
01-07-2013, 22:16
Both. Your grammar and punctuation are shitty, and I'm recommending that you improve them (and then discipline yourself to use what you've learned). You only get one opportunity to make a first impression and in the military (or the corporate world) it's likely to be in the form of a written communication. If one of your posts in its current form were to cross my desk at work, I can guarantee you it would be dismissed without action and the people I work with/for would counsel your supervisor for letting you send it in the first place. Your bosses would then be embarrassed; you can draw your own conclusions about how that would affect your quality of life.

That pretty much sums it up. Being able to effectively communicate is essential.

RedRaider08
01-07-2013, 23:46
Both. Your grammar and punctuation are shitty and I'm recommending that you improve them (and then discipline yourself to use what you've learned). You only get one opportunity to make a first impression and in the military (or the corporate world) it's likely to be in the form of a written communication. If one of your posts in its current form were to cross my desk at work, I can guarantee you it would be dismissed without action and the people I work with/for would counsel your supervisor for letting you send it in the first place. Your bosses would then be embarrassed; you can draw your own conclusions about how that would affect your quality of life.

I understand and thanks for the tip

1stindoor
01-08-2013, 07:09
I often think of this coffee cup after reading these posts.

Richard
01-08-2013, 07:47
Well as I was sitting here registering for my classes, I wondering if there were any college courses i could take that would only benifit me SF wise but in the regular army as well, seeing as i will have to spend a bit of time there as well. Now i understand there wont be any classes on breaching or anything like that. But just anything that could help me better understand the army or think outside the box.

P.S. I am already taking Army ROTC

I am a supporter of a broader, classical education approach as an answer to your question, a program designed to help you learn about the broader world and its cultures, in general, that aids your learning to reason, specifically, and that includes language and study abroad opportunities.

Tech also offers a number of conflict specific history courses - take them. Knowing how and why various militaries evolved, and how they were used during specific eras/conflicts will serve you well if you do seek a military career.

Communication is important, whether written or verbal. Awkwardness or sloppiness with either is, in the adult world, frowned upon and opportunity limiting.

One last point to remember - "i before e"...except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbor. ;)

And good luck.

Richard :munchin

Joker
01-08-2013, 08:02
As these gentlemen have stated.

Learn to express yourself in the MOST professional manner possible, both oral and written. I (as well as others here) have briefed and lead discussions with Ambassadors, Secretaries (SECDEF, SECSTATE, multitudes of assistants and deputy assistants, Four Stars and below), and Congress; some of our work has been seen by the POTUS. I/we have been lucky to be a participant of high-level official exchanges between the USG and other nations (leaders of countries). You may too, IF YOU MAKE IT,:munchin and you could be possibly the lowest ranking person in the room, but they will not care if you are professional, well behaved, knowledgeable, and can express yourself as such.

Effective writing

Public speaking

Leadership

RedRaider08
01-08-2013, 12:32
Once again thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Richard
01-08-2013, 13:46
Once again thanks for the advice gentlemen

<SIGH>

RedRaider08
05-06-2013, 11:39
Hello all, I know I haven’t posted in this forum for a while. I took you guy’s advice and registered for that writing class, which I received a B in. I also happened to find and hook up with a former 3rd grouper, but that a story for another day. I am basically just checking back in to thank you guys for the tip.

ZonieDiver
05-06-2013, 12:41
Hello all, I know I haven’t posted in this forum for a while. I took you guy’s advice and registered for that writing class, which I received a B in. I also happened to find and hook up with a former 3rd grouper, but that a story for another day. I am basically just checking back in to thank you guys for the tip.

<sigh>

A "B"? Grade inflation at Tech?

In case you're wondering, I'll include two examples to which I am referring:

1) "you guy's" (There are two things wrong there. What are they?)

2) "grouper" (Was the member of the 3rd SF Group actually a fish?)

Thanks for taking the class. Take a little more time with your posts. Perhaps composing offline in Word, using "Spellcheck", and then pasting it here would help. Failiing that, re-read your post and edit.

Welcome back.

RedRaider08
05-06-2013, 12:59
<sigh>

A "B"? Grade inflation at Tech?

In case you're wondering, I'll include two examples to which I am referring:

1) "you guy's" (There are two things wrong there. What are they?)

2) "grouper" (Was the member of the 3rd SF Group actually a fish?)

Thanks for taking the class. Take a little more time with your posts. Perhaps composing offline in Word, using "Spellcheck", and then pasting it here would help. Failiing that, re-read your post and edit.

Welcome back.

1. That's plural possession so the apostrophe should actually be after the s, also its technically not necessary.

2. And I don't understand what's meant by the fish comment.

Scratch that, I now know that a grouper is a type of fish.

sinjefe
05-06-2013, 13:01
1. That's plural possession so the apostrophe should actually be after the s, also its technically not necessary.

2. And I don't understand what's meant by the fish comment.

Really??

mconneway
05-06-2013, 14:16
This may be the funniest thread I have read on the entire forum so far... :munchin

Joker
05-06-2013, 15:36
I like my grouper fried, baked, grilled, broiled, or blackened, with or without tartar or cocktail sauces.
Dammit you made me hungry! :D

mark46th
05-06-2013, 16:14
Our current education system is wonderful for teaching youngsters how to be politically correct. Unfortunately, punctuation is dying a rapid death.

The Reaper
05-06-2013, 16:51

Grammar issues aside, what do you define as "hooking up"?

TR

33army
05-06-2013, 17:11
Grammar issues aside, what do you define as "hooking up"?

TR

There's a fish joke here.

Taking cover.

Santo Tomas
05-07-2013, 06:00
This is funny.

Loadsmasher
05-17-2013, 09:29
deleted.

The Reaper
05-17-2013, 18:28
I want every non-QP posting on this thread to review the rules.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22758

TR