Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-07-2013, 19:37   #1
RedRaider08
Asset

Classes to take???

Well as I was sitting here registering for my classes, I wondering if there were any college courses i could take that would only benifit me SF wise but in the regular army as well, seeing as i will have to spend a bit of time there as well. Now i understand there wont be any classes on breaching or anything like that. But just anything that could help me better understand the army or think outside the box.

P.S. I am already taking Army ROTC
RedRaider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:48   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

How about a class on reading stickies, or following instructions , or writing a profile?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 21:06   #3
RedRaider08
Asset

Sorry about that one, jumped the gun a little, I handled it though
Old 01-07-2013, 21:16   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I would recommend Modern Standard English, or if not yet ready for that, English as a Second Language. You will find that quality written communications skills will stand you in good stead wherever you go in life.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 21:49   #5
RedRaider08
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
I would recommend Modern Standard English, or if not yet ready for that, English as a Second Language. You will find that quality written communications skills will stand you in good stead wherever you go in life.
So i cant tell if your are just saying that my grammar on here is shitty or are actually recommending me to take the class, im leaning towards the former. if you are I must commened you its very witty it took me around 3 reads to see it, if not thanks for the tip.
Old 01-07-2013, 22:13   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Both. Your grammar and punctuation are shitty and I'm recommending that you improve them (and then discipline yourself to use what you've learned). You only get one opportunity to make a first impression and in the military (or the corporate world) it's likely to be in the form of a written communication. If one of your posts in its current form were to cross my desk at work, I can guarantee you it would be dismissed without action and the people I work with/for would counsel your supervisor for letting you send it in the first place. Your bosses would then be embarrassed; you can draw your own conclusions about how that would affect your quality of life.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:16   #7
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Both. Your grammar and punctuation are shitty, and I'm recommending that you improve them (and then discipline yourself to use what you've learned). You only get one opportunity to make a first impression and in the military (or the corporate world) it's likely to be in the form of a written communication. If one of your posts in its current form were to cross my desk at work, I can guarantee you it would be dismissed without action and the people I work with/for would counsel your supervisor for letting you send it in the first place. Your bosses would then be embarrassed; you can draw your own conclusions about how that would affect your quality of life.
That pretty much sums it up. Being able to effectively communicate is essential.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:46   #8
RedRaider08
Asset

Quote:
Both. Your grammar and punctuation are shitty and I'm recommending that you improve them (and then discipline yourself to use what you've learned). You only get one opportunity to make a first impression and in the military (or the corporate world) it's likely to be in the form of a written communication. If one of your posts in its current form were to cross my desk at work, I can guarantee you it would be dismissed without action and the people I work with/for would counsel your supervisor for letting you send it in the first place. Your bosses would then be embarrassed; you can draw your own conclusions about how that would affect your quality of life.
I understand and thanks for the tip
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09   #9
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

I often think of this coffee cup after reading these posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grammarian.jpg (20.8 KB, 349 views)
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider08 View Post
Well as I was sitting here registering for my classes, I wondering if there were any college courses i could take that would only benifit me SF wise but in the regular army as well, seeing as i will have to spend a bit of time there as well. Now i understand there wont be any classes on breaching or anything like that. But just anything that could help me better understand the army or think outside the box.

P.S. I am already taking Army ROTC
I am a supporter of a broader, classical education approach as an answer to your question, a program designed to help you learn about the broader world and its cultures, in general, that aids your learning to reason, specifically, and that includes language and study abroad opportunities.

Tech also offers a number of conflict specific history courses - take them. Knowing how and why various militaries evolved, and how they were used during specific eras/conflicts will serve you well if you do seek a military career.

Communication is important, whether written or verbal. Awkwardness or sloppiness with either is, in the adult world, frowned upon and opportunity limiting.

One last point to remember - "i before e"...except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbor.

And good luck.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SchnrOrLtr.jpg (47.4 KB, 208 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02   #11
Joker
Quiet Professional

As these gentlemen have stated.

Learn to express yourself in the MOST professional manner possible, both oral and written. I (as well as others here) have briefed and lead discussions with Ambassadors, Secretaries (SECDEF, SECSTATE, multitudes of assistants and deputy assistants, Four Stars and below), and Congress; some of our work has been seen by the POTUS. I/we have been lucky to be a participant of high-level official exchanges between the USG and other nations (leaders of countries). You may too, IF YOU MAKE IT, and you could be possibly the lowest ranking person in the room, but they will not care if you are professional, well behaved, knowledgeable, and can express yourself as such.

Effective writing

Public speaking

Leadership
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32   #12
RedRaider08
Asset

Once again thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Last edited by RedRaider08; 01-08-2013 at 14:27.
Old 01-08-2013, 13:46   #13
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Once again thanks for the advice gentlemen
<SIGH>
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39   #14
RedRaider08
Asset

Hello all, I know I haven’t posted in this forum for a while. I took you guy’s advice and registered for that writing class, which I received a B in. I also happened to find and hook up with a former 3rd grouper, but that a story for another day. I am basically just checking back in to thank you guys for the tip.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41   #15
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Hello all, I know I haven’t posted in this forum for a while. I took you guy’s advice and registered for that writing class, which I received a B in. I also happened to find and hook up with a former 3rd grouper, but that a story for another day. I am basically just checking back in to thank you guys for the tip.
<sigh>

A "B"? Grade inflation at Tech?

In case you're wondering, I'll include two examples to which I am referring:

1) "you guy's" (There are two things wrong there. What are they?)

2) "grouper" (Was the member of the 3rd SF Group actually a fish?)

Thanks for taking the class. Take a little more time with your posts. Perhaps composing offline in Word, using "Spellcheck", and then pasting it here would help. Failiing that, re-read your post and edit.

Welcome back.

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 05-06-2013 at 12:41. Reason: For demonstration purposes only!
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote