PDA

View Full Version : Looking for AR sight recommendation

Utah Bob
11-11-2012, 16:43
I'd like to get an optical sight for my flatop that won't break the bank but still be reliable for targets, occasional varmints, and maybe a little competition.
I figure something in the mid-price range will suit me. Any favorites?

The Reaper
11-11-2012, 18:06
I'd like to get an optical sight for my flatop that won't break the bank but still be reliable for targets, occasional varmints, and maybe a little competition.

Do you want magnification, or not?

TR

MR2
11-11-2012, 18:28
Do you want magnification, or not?

Do they come in bifocal?

The Reaper
11-11-2012, 18:46
Do they come in bifocal?

Negative.

No magnification is faster, but limits precision.

Generally, 100 and under, I would definitely go with zero mag, 100-300, toss-up, over 300, magnification. For two-legged game-sized targets, that is. You can make do with either at all ranges, but at the extremes, one will be easier to use well.

TR

69harley
11-11-2012, 20:04
Leupold offers a great discount through Promotive. I am a dealer for leapold and the Promotive pricing is below my dealer cost. Aimpoint is also on Promotive but the discount is much less, 30% off MSRP I think.

koz
11-11-2012, 21:32
No magnification - Aimpoint T-1. It is very durable.

Magnification - Look at the Leupold Mk 6 1-6x. It's a true 1x and you can see the lit reticle in the daytime. It's not as fast as an aimpoint or EoTech but you have the magnification.

Other options include the Bushnell 1-6, Bushnell is coming out with a 1-8x in the Spring. US Optics 1.5-6 Dual Focal Plane, Vortex 1-6x.

These scopes are all in the $1100-2000 range. The Aimpoint is around $650 with a mount from Larue.

Old Dog New Trick
11-11-2012, 23:27
I put a Burris Extreme Tactical XTR 30mm on my Sig556 and am very happy with it.
Magnification is 1X-4X-24mm with Balistic 5.56 Gen2 reticle with amber dot center illumination ring. Retail paid $1199 and that came with a small red dot holographic quick sight mounted to the top of it. So two sights in one really. I believe it also came with standard picatinny rail mounts for that price.

I see on the box the scope alone is priced $800

Again happy with. Zeroed it at 100 and was shooting a bowling pin at 300 shortly after.

Only problem I've experienced it that the adjustment wheel for the reticle illumination seems a bit temperamental in that it cuts out the light as you turn up the brightness so you have to rotate and then back off to get what you like.

Streck-Fu
11-12-2012, 08:01
Take a look at the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) which is a 1x30 red dot. The dot is 2MOA so won't be precise but will put you on target for the target shooting and competition. The size of the varmint and distance will determine effectiveness for that use. It can be had for ~$400.

LINK (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/514855/aimpoint-pro-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-2-moa-dot-with-picatinny-style-mount-matte)

dfirsty
11-12-2012, 09:42
Another cheaper option is the Vortex Strikefire. Its a close copy of the Aimpoint, comes with a mount and Vortex has a pretty good warranty. I haven't used/abused one enough that I would put it on my duty gun, but I have seen some people use them in classes and they held up great.

Derek

Utah Bob
11-13-2012, 12:12
I'm thinking no magnification. The property here is mostly wooded so varmints are rarely visible at extended distances. Other rifles in the safe are set up bettr for long range.
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

trunkmonkey
11-13-2012, 14:44
I use a Aimpoint comp M4 with a 3X adapter on a twist mount which has worked well since I have been a contractor. When I was a soldier I used a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5 and used from everything from CQB distances to 700 yds. It was only about $650 and suited my purposes well. Using the SPR reticle in the Leupold was remarkably quick. If I needed one optic to do it all I would not hesitate to get another one. NIghtforce also has a 1-4 power optic that I have heard good things about but at about double the price. I use my AR with the Leupold for varmint and deer hunting in Oklahoma from time to time and can still take a deer at about 200 yds. I wont push much farther with a 5.56. It is also great for armadillos that run across the ground. MOO

The Reaper
11-13-2012, 19:18
I'm thinking no magnification. The property here is mostly wooded so varmints are rarely visible at extended distances. Other rifles in the safe are set up bettr for long range.

Then I recommend an EOTech or an Aimpoint.

The EOTech has a better reticle and is a more open design, the Aimpoint has significantly better battery life and is at least theoretically more durable.

I prefer the EOTech, though I have both.

TR

frostfire
11-14-2012, 08:58
I'd like to get an optical sight for my flatop that won't break the bank but still be reliable for targets, occasional varmints, and maybe a little competition. I figure something in the mid-price range will suit me. Any favorites?

well, I read the underlined terms above, so here's a cheapie-but-a-goodie-sorta

http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-EAR30-Mount-Combo-P51887
just be willing to deal with not precisely 1x magnification (very hard to tell 1.1 to 1), some glare with illuminated reticle (big deal, use w/o illumination), and mushy adjustment screw (quite a big deal at first, but once it's set, it's GTG)

or this with Larue mount, cowitnessed with BUIS. I've abused this one myself with offset mount on the OBR. Also met group guy who set his ACOG and TRS25 on offset. Works like a charm
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM

If there's enough dough for it, then hard to beat what everyone has recommended.
EOTech XPS with 3 or 5x magnifier, cowitnessed with BUIS. I've seen poor iron-sight shooter performed way better than his qual card indicated once he ran an EOTech

Utah Bob
11-16-2012, 19:27
well, I read the underlined terms above, so here's a cheapie-but-a-goodie-sorta

http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-EAR30-Mount-Combo-P51887
just be willing to deal with not precisely 1x magnification (very hard to tell 1.1 to 1), some glare with illuminated reticle (big deal, use w/o illumination), and mushy adjustment screw (quite a big deal at first, but once it's set, it's GTG)

or this with Larue mount, cowitnessed with BUIS. I've abused this one myself with offset mount on the OBR. Also met group guy who set his ACOG and TRS25 on offset. Works like a charm
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM

If there's enough dough for it, then hard to beat what everyone has recommended.
EOTech XPS with 3 or 5x magnifier, cowitnessed with BUIS. I've seen poor iron-sight shooter performed way better than his qual card indicated once he ran an EOTech

First link no workee.:(

frostfire
11-22-2012, 15:07
First link no workee.:(

try this one...
http://swfa.com/Optisan-Riflescopes-C3507.aspx

or google
Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba

Once again, you got what you paid for....but unless one desires to-hell-and-back reliability and plans to toss the entire setup to hard surface every now and then, this one should do the job just fine :)

Papa Zero Three
11-22-2012, 16:06

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one...Bushnell TRS-25. I have one that I bought for shits and giggles as a throw away and it's proven to be a damn good deal. It's a poor mans T-1. You may have to buy a riser with it if you wish to co-witness with your BUIS. I think I bought 2ea Yankee hill risers and mated them up to get the right height. All said and done it was in the $100 + dollar range.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/red-dot-sights/trophy-trs-25-red-dot-sight-prod31841.aspx#.UK6gP6XMrGE

Utah Bob
12-01-2012, 07:21
Some really great info for an old iron sights guy. My Christmas list is expanding. Thanks gentlemen!:D

Ghost_Team
12-02-2012, 08:14
I run a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 on my LWRC M6. I like it. It doesn't have the mildot reticle I would prefer, instead it has German crosshairs with a dot in the middle. It's fiber optic, so no need to change batteries. If you go thru Trijicon to get it, you will drop $995 and wait weeks for it. I got mine on Amazon for $845, and had it the same week I ordered it.

BuckSGT
12-03-2012, 00:21
The Aimpoint T1 Micro 2MOA 1x Magnification w/Larue Tactical QD mount. To be able to co-witness you would need to the LT751 Absolute mount. There are three different mounts all depending on what weapon you'd be mounting on the optic on. The T1 is NVG compatible and for the price from Larue Tactical under $700 with shipping.

I can personally attest to the optic. Having used it on my 16 inch personal rifle and patrol/SRT rifle. During training and operations with constant moving and bumping on all different surfaces like metal, wood and dirt etc I have had nothing effect my zero on my two rifles. The battery life is extraordinary even if the optic is left on by accident, my rifle sat in the trunk of my unit for three weeks after the range and had no noticeable difference in brightness. Optic can also be used in conjunction with the 3x or 5x magnifier along with the absolute mount when bought from Larue.

Great optic. Wouldn't trade it for any other optic.

Badger52
12-03-2012, 07:41
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one...Bushnell TRS-25. I have one that I bought for shits and giggles as a throw away and it's proven to be a damn good deal. It's a poor mans T-1.Have one of these also, originally bought to put on a Ruger Mark II just for fun. Been running it for couple years on an Ultimak on my Heinz-57 AK, which co-witnesses. As has been said riser(s) probably needed on an AR. The dot is small enough with sufficient brightness for my old eyes to pop Ivans at 300 from a field position.

Bouncing around in truck, through all seasons (including accidentally leaving it on for close to a month), 1 commonly found battery/year, hasn't changed zero, even when getting cooked by the gas tube on a hot day. Back then was under $100 in my local brick & mortar shop. For a "just to keep around" dot am pretty satisfied.

sf11b_p
12-03-2012, 11:25
For a Bushnell TRS-25, a UTG 3 slot 0.83 high riser co-witnesses on a flat top. About $82 for TRS-25 on Amazon and $8-$10 for the riser on Amazon or local.

PSM
12-03-2012, 14:12
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one...Bushnell TRS-25. I have one that I bought for shits and giggles as a throw away and it's proven to be a damn good deal. It's a poor mans T-1. You may have to buy a riser with it if you wish to co-witness with your BUIS. I think I bought 2ea Yankee hill risers and mated them up to get the right height. All said and done it was in the $100 + dollar range.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/red-dot-sights/trophy-trs-25-red-dot-sight-prod31841.aspx#.UK6gP6XMrGE

Have one of these also, originally bought to put on a Ruger Mark II just for fun. Been running it for couple years on an Ultimak on my Heinz-57 AK, which co-witnesses. As has been said riser(s) probably needed on an AR. The dot is small enough with sufficient brightness for my old eyes to pop Ivans at 300 from a field position.

Bouncing around in truck, through all seasons (including accidentally leaving it on for close to a month), 1 commonly found battery/year, hasn't changed zero, even when getting cooked by the gas tube on a hot day. Back then was under $100 in my local brick & mortar shop. For a "just to keep around" dot am pretty satisfied.

Thanks for the info, guys. I picked up 2 of these earlier in the year when they were on sale for $70. Pretty much for the same reasons as P03. I mounted one on my 10/22 and was going to give the second to my son on his birthday for his AR. He turned it down wanting to make sure he was proficient with the iron sights before adding optics. So, I got a tactical stock for my Mini-14 and mounted the sight on it. Haven't use the Mini-14 yet, but it's fun on the 10/22. :D My son is being deployed next spring, so he's bringing the AR here Christmas for me to keep for him while he's gone. I'll mount the sight on it and will get to play with it for a year or so.

Pat

Barbarian
12-01-2014, 10:17
Looking at picking up an Aimpoint RDS. Trying to choose between a Micro T-2 and a M4s. Am wondering what the general opinions are among the experienced? Obviously the micro is lighter and has somewhat shorter battery life, but I am curious about any differences in regard to shooting. Thanks.

fasteddie565
01-07-2015, 08:35
As an old iron sight pistol carbine guy, I have had to adapt to the red dot sight concept.

As I am no longer in the gun fighting business, I do not need $1k sights. I have learned a few things as I follow the path towards a sight that works for me.

If you have an astigmatism (As I do) A holographic sight will blur

I am "focusing" on front focal plane sights so if I lose power to the sight, I still have sights to use.

The fiber optic sights have proven to be solutions thus far. I have a Leupold sight that uses quirky and not readily available batteries. I recently took a class with Pat McNamara where it was very bright and had a weak battery. Fortunately, the FFP reticle etched in the glass offered an adequate sight picture.

Right now I am using a Bushnell AR/223 sight 1-4. While the reticle grows and shrinks with a FFP scope, I find this to be helpful. The challenge is that the rings that came with the scope are too low. I am waiting on a QD mount as we speak.

mark46th
01-07-2015, 09:08
Fast Eddie- I had worn glasses since I was 8 years old because of astigmatism. I had cataract surgery and during the process, the doctor put in intraocular implants. Kind of like contact lenses but inside the eye. Amazing results, I now have 20/20 in both eyes... Something to think about.