PDA

View Full Version : Edema in both my feet.......

greenberetTFS
05-30-2012, 23:36
I've been struggling with Edema for several years now,when it really blows up I can't even wear my diabetic shoes because their too tight....... :( I take furosemide(20 mg) three times daily......... :( It helps,but I never permanently lose it and It flares back and I go to the same routine again,etc....... :( Any help would be sincerly appreciated......:(

Big Teddy

PedOncoDoc
05-31-2012, 05:01
I've been struggling with Edema for several years now,when it really blows up I can't even wear my diabetic shoes because their too tight....... :( I take furosemide(20 mg) three times daily......... :( It helps,but I never permanently lose it and It flares back and I go to the same routine again,etc....... :( Any help would be sicerly appreciated......:(

Big Teddy

Are you wearing compression stockings throughout the day?

greenberetTFS
05-31-2012, 12:59
Are you wearing compression stockings throughout the day?

Actually No.......I'll follow up on that,thanks......This edema has caused recent congestive heart failure due from my recent heart attack......... Furosemide,20 mg/3 times a day=60mg...... Various MD consultants on just this condition have said I'm diabetic,high blood pressure,pulmonary edema,obesity,sleep apnea,recent cellulitis,feeling of not being able to get enough air,labored beathing after walking a few short steps......And of course the edema in my feet and ankles that never goes away...I'm at a point now where I just don't really give a shit(75 Y0),I've been in the hospital 3 seperate times already this year and it looks like I'll be going again on my heart catherization in June....Oh yeah,I'll be seeing my primary tommorrow morning regarding this sudden PE condition,seems like he's concerned,maybe I should be also......:(

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
05-31-2012, 13:12
Any help would be sincerly appreciated......:(

Big Teddy

Cut your daily ruck runs back to 12 miles. :D

greenberetTFS
05-31-2012, 13:30
Cut your daily ruck runs back to 12 miles. :D

Thanks Dusty,just what I really needed,your always there when I need you........;)

Big Teddy:munchin

PedOncoDoc
05-31-2012, 14:51
Actually No.......I'll follow up on that,thanks......This edema has caused recent congestive heart failure due from my recent heart attack......... Furosemide,20 mg/3 times a day=60mg...... Various MD consultants on just this condition have said I'm diabetic,high blood pressure,pulmonary edema,obesity,sleep apnea,recent cellulitis,feeling of not being able to get enough air,labored beathing after walking a few short steps......And of course the edema in my feet and ankles that never goes away...I'm at a point now where I just don't really give a shit(75 Y0),I've been in the hospital 3 seperate times already this year and it looks like I'll be going again on my heart catherization in June....Oh yeah,I'll be seeing my primary tommorrow morning regarding this sudden PE condition,seems like he's concerned,maybe I should be also......:(

The congestive heart failure has likely caused the edema, not the other way around. The pulmonary edema can also be caused by congestive heart failure compounded by sleep apnea - all of your medical probrems are associated with each other.

Compression stockings, when worn throughout the day, can really keep the leg/ankle/foot edema away.

I'm gald to hear that you (unlike someone else on here :p) have been following up with your docs - that is the best course of action.

Cake_14N
05-31-2012, 15:04
Big Teddy,

Just focus on getting well. Always remember you have a wealth of knowledge that you have not shared with enough people yet and I for one really appreciate the tidbits you share and the inputs you provide.

I also agree with Dusty and suspect too much ruckin' ( or something that rhymes with that ) could be an issue.

Just get well soon.

Cake

Eagle5US
05-31-2012, 15:30
The congestive heart failure has likely caused the edema, not the other way around. The pulmonary edema can also be caused by congestive heart failure compounded by sleep apnea - all of your medical probrems are associated with each other.

Compression stockings, when worn throughout the day, can really keep the leg/ankle/foot edema away.

I'm gald to hear that you (unlike someone else on here :p) have been following up with your docs - that is the best course of action.
Well Said.

Get better Teddy. And get you some of them thar stockings. The purty ones with the line running up the back of em :p

greenberetTFS
05-31-2012, 15:38
Well Said.

Get better Teddy. And get you some of them thar stockings. The purty ones with the line running up the back of em :p

Gotcha,Eagle.......Maggies checking the internet right now.....Do I have to have them custom measured or fitted?........:confused:

greenberetTFS
05-31-2012, 15:42
Big Teddy,

Just focus on getting well. Always remember you have a wealth of knowledge that you have not shared with enough people yet and I for one really appreciate the tidbits you share and the inputs you provide.

I also agree with Dusty and suspect too much ruckin' ( or something that rhymes with that ) could be an issue.

Just get well soon.

Cake

Your pretty clever,almost ready to run with Dusty.........:D

Eagle5US
05-31-2012, 15:47
Do I have to have them custom measured or fitted?........:confused:

Measurement Guidelines (http://www.whathealth.com/compressionstockings/fitting.html)

swatsurgeon
06-01-2012, 13:33
you can get Jobts compression stockings measured at a medical supply store with a Rx from your doc, they are custom made to you and the compression lasts longer and is better than the generic compression stockings. Also, may consider having your doc Rx Kendall's foot pumps. They help 'push' the fluid out from the feet up...they work well, I use them on patients in the ICU that have LE edema from all causes.

Good luck. Tell your doc that the edema isn't resolving with your lasix....they should know that.

ss

greenberetTFS
06-01-2012, 15:17
you can get Jobts compression stockings measured at a medical supply store with a Rx from your doc, they are custom made to you and the compression lasts longer and is better than the generic compression stockings. Also, may consider having your doc Rx Kendall's foot pumps. They help 'push' the fluid out from the feet up...they work well, I use them on patients in the ICU that have LE edema from all causes.

Good luck. Tell your doc that the edema isn't resolving with your lasix....they should know that.

ss

ss,

Just saw him today,he said that from my recent chest X-rays he kicked my lasix to 80 mg a day........ I've got fluid in my lungs????........ Appreciate the info on custom made sox's,but to be honest I don't think I can afford them,he said they have them at Bed,Bath and Beyond called "Magic Sox's" for $15/pair that he himself wears.... BTW,he has temporarily ruled out PE but is concerned about my fluid and water retention,and said that less blood to my kidneys is why my feet and ankles are so swollen........ I'll tell you at my age and all that's come at me this year,I'm seriously thinking about "Duration vs. Quality of life"......Is it worth just being around struggling,sucking oxygen,I don't think so.... Think I'll move to Oregon if it gets any worse.......

Hey guys I think this last post concerned some of you who recently PM me worried about my frame of mind,let me put you all at rest...... First I had offers to help purchase my sox's....... Thanks,but thats not necessary,OK......... I'll not mention names but this is just one response I gave to one of the guys who offered........Thanks,but I can't accept any money however thats really kind of you to offer.......I don't know if your aware of Maggie's condition,but she is terminal and was given maybe 5 years if she's lucky and that was 1 1/2 years ago. I wouldn't do anything that would leave her by herself,but after she goes and if I'm still around I'm going to get me a bottle of Jamason 12 year old rare and drop a few of those sleeping pills and leave the rest to God....... You know what's really funny,everyone wants to go to Heaven,but nobody wants to die............. BTW,your joke was funny,reminds me of Dusty's humor........;) :D

Red Flag 1
06-01-2012, 17:53
ss,

Just saw him today,he said that from my recent chest X-rays he kicked my lasix to 80 mg a day........ I've got fluid in my lungs????........ Appreciate the info on custom made sox's,but to be honest I don't think I can afford them,he said they have them at Bed,Bath and Beyond called "Magic Sox's" for $15/pair that he himself wears.... BTW,he has temporarily ruled out PE but is concerned about my fluid and water retention,and said that less blood to my kidneys is why my feet and ankles are so swollen........ I'll tell you at my age and all that's come at me this year,I'm seriously thinking about "Duration vs. Quality of life"......Is it worth just being around struggling,sucking oxygen,I don't think so.... Think I'll move to Oregon if it gets any worse.......

Hey guys I think this last post concerned some of you who recently PM me worried about my frame of mind,let me put you all at rest...... First I had offers to help purchase my sox's....... Thanks,but thats not necessary,OK......... I'll not mention names but this is just one response I gave to one of the guys who offered........Thanks,but I can't accept any money however thats really kind of you to offer.......I don't know if your aware of Maggie's condition,but she is terminal and was given maybe 5 years if she's lucky and that was 1 1/2 years ago. I wouldn't do anything that would leave her by herself,but after she goes and if I'm still around I'm going to get me a bottle of Jamason 12 year old rare and drop a few of those sleeping pills and leave the rest to God....... You know what's really funny,everyone wants to go to Heaven,but nobody wants to die............. BTW,your joke was funny,reminds me of Dusty's humor........;) :D

The extra 20 of Lasix will help some with the edema, the breathing will improve quite a bit with bump up too. I think you'll see the support hose, Jobst stockings, help quite a bit. I hope your cath goes well this month, keep us in the loop Big Teddy.

RF 1
j

Sarski
06-01-2012, 17:54
I can't handle whiskey. Something about it brings out the wild in me and I wind up doing all kinds of fun stuff. But, from what I've heard the whiskey is more enjoyable without the sleeping pills.;)

greenberetTFS
06-01-2012, 18:15
A-V Impulse 6060 Foot Pump (refurbished w/60-day warranty)

The A-V Impulse System®* foot pump works to increase circulation by pumping blood back towards your heart. The increased circulation reduces your risk for blood clots and also helps reduce swelling.

How it works:

Located in the sole of your foot is a built-in return pump called the plantar venous plexus. Each time your foot hits the ground, the plantar venous plexus is flattened, stretched, and squeezed. This pumps blood back up to your heart.

The A-V Impulse mimics the action of walking by inflating a small balloon that presses on the bottom of your foot. The pressure from the inflated balloon activates the plantar venous plexus and sends blood back up to your heart. This increased circulation is important for people who spend considerable amount of time in bed or sitting upright because blood can pool in the bottom of the feet.

The ImPads are designed to fit snuggly around your feet. The inflation should be felt directly under the arch of each foot.
Socks or graduated compression stockings (sometimes called T.E.D. hose) should be worn under the ImPads
The system mimics weight bearing. You will feel a squeeze alternately on the sole of each foot approximately 20 seconds apart. Please note: even though only one foot/leg may be injured, it is recommended that you use both ImPads together. This helps keep your entire circulatory system activated and working together.
The use of the A-V Impulse system is safe and highly effective.
The A-V Impulse system is natural and involves no drugs. When used correctly, the system has no known side effects.
Improved blood flow may increase your rate of healing and can often reduce pain associated with your operation.
The more often you use the system, the more effective it will be. Try to wear the ImPads whenever you are sitting, lying down, or sleeping.

Walking in the ImPads will damage them. They will become ineffective and need to be replaced.
Leaving the machine running while your feet are not in the ImPads will cause the air bladder to over-inflate. The ImPads will be damaged, become ineffective and need to be replaced.
Please note: There may be small cosmetic flaws with this equipment as it has been used.
List Price: $1,495.00
Our Price: $975.00
You save $520.00!

Prescription Required

I acknowledge I have a prescription authorizing the the rental/purchase of this equipment to be submitted upon request to The Medcom Group Ltd, And/Or I am a licensed Health Care Professional with authorization to rent/purchase this equipment for home or Institutional use. (In order for us to process your order, please fax your prescription to: 888.298.2389. Please note your order number for easier tracking. If you are a Health Care Professional, please call us at 877.301.4276.)
Foot Pad Size

Select foot pad size*:

Description

A-V Impulse 6060 Foot Pump

Features/Specifications
Automatic pressure adjustment assures delivery of the pre-set operating parameters regardless of any changes in patient position.
Low and high pressure alarms indicate if operating pressures vary from the desired therapeutic range.
Automatic venting and shut off occur in the presence of a high pressure alarm situation.
Preset to the optimal clinically proven parameters. Operating parameters can be customized to meet individual patient requirements.
Easy-to-read pressure display provides constant confirmation of appropriate therapy.
Independently operated dual channels.
Compact design and integrated bed mount.
60 day warranty.

Related Products...
A-V Impulse 5000 Foot Pump (refurbished)
Our Price: $650.00

greenberetTFS
06-02-2012, 13:22

ss

ss

Maggie found Jobts had a 80% sale on and purchased 2 pair at 24.95/each.......;) Thanks for the tip.......:D A bit puzzelled by the statement in pink.........:confused:

greenberetTFS
06-02-2012, 13:25
Well Said.

I have gotten them,see my response to "ss" who gave me some advise too........:D

greenberetTFS
06-02-2012, 13:29

Thanks Doc,this is exactly why I posted this info,the feedback from you PRO's helps me more than my own Dr........:(

PedOncoDoc
06-03-2012, 06:17
Thanks Doc,this is exactly why I posted this info,the feedback from you PRO's helps me more than my own Dr........:(

So how are the compression socks working for you? :munchin

greenberetTFS
06-03-2012, 11:51
So how are the compression socks working for you? :munchin

Maggie just ordered them yesterday from Jobst so I'll have to wait on that answer,just as well because I need to get my toe nails clipped because of the diabetis I have it done for free.........:D