Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 05-30-2012, 23:36   #1
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Edema in both my feet.......

I've been struggling with Edema for several years now,when it really blows up I can't even wear my diabetic shoes because their too tight....... I take furosemide(20 mg) three times daily......... It helps,but I never permanently lose it and It flares back and I go to the same routine again,etc....... Any help would be sincerly appreciated......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 05-31-2012 at 12:45.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01   #2
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I've been struggling with Edema for several years now,when it really blows up I can't even wear my diabetic shoes because their too tight....... I take furosemide(20 mg) three times daily......... It helps,but I never permanently lose it and It flares back and I go to the same routine again,etc....... Any help would be sicerly appreciated......

Big Teddy
Are you wearing compression stockings throughout the day?
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:59   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
Are you wearing compression stockings throughout the day?
Actually No.......I'll follow up on that,thanks......This edema has caused recent congestive heart failure due from my recent heart attack......... Furosemide,20 mg/3 times a day=60mg...... Various MD consultants on just this condition have said I'm diabetic,high blood pressure,pulmonary edema,obesity,sleep apnea,recent cellulitis,feeling of not being able to get enough air,labored beathing after walking a few short steps......And of course the edema in my feet and ankles that never goes away...I'm at a point now where I just don't really give a shit(75 Y0),I've been in the hospital 3 seperate times already this year and it looks like I'll be going again on my heart catherization in June....Oh yeah,I'll be seeing my primary tommorrow morning regarding this sudden PE condition,seems like he's concerned,maybe I should be also......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 05-31-2012 at 13:37.
Old 05-31-2012, 13:12   #4
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Any help would be sincerly appreciated......

Big Teddy
Cut your daily ruck runs back to 12 miles.
Old 05-31-2012, 13:30   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Cut your daily ruck runs back to 12 miles.
Thanks Dusty,just what I really needed,your always there when I need you........

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 05-31-2012, 14:51   #6
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Actually No.......I'll follow up on that,thanks......This edema has caused recent congestive heart failure due from my recent heart attack......... Furosemide,20 mg/3 times a day=60mg...... Various MD consultants on just this condition have said I'm diabetic,high blood pressure,pulmonary edema,obesity,sleep apnea,recent cellulitis,feeling of not being able to get enough air,labored beathing after walking a few short steps......And of course the edema in my feet and ankles that never goes away...I'm at a point now where I just don't really give a shit(75 Y0),I've been in the hospital 3 seperate times already this year and it looks like I'll be going again on my heart catherization in June....Oh yeah,I'll be seeing my primary tommorrow morning regarding this sudden PE condition,seems like he's concerned,maybe I should be also......

Big Teddy
The congestive heart failure has likely caused the edema, not the other way around. The pulmonary edema can also be caused by congestive heart failure compounded by sleep apnea - all of your medical probrems are associated with each other.

Compression stockings, when worn throughout the day, can really keep the leg/ankle/foot edema away.

I'm gald to hear that you (unlike someone else on here ) have been following up with your docs - that is the best course of action.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 15:04   #7
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

Get well Sir

Big Teddy,

Just focus on getting well. Always remember you have a wealth of knowledge that you have not shared with enough people yet and I for one really appreciate the tidbits you share and the inputs you provide.

I also agree with Dusty and suspect too much ruckin' ( or something that rhymes with that ) could be an issue.

Just get well soon.

Cake
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance
Cake_14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 15:30   #8
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
The congestive heart failure has likely caused the edema, not the other way around. The pulmonary edema can also be caused by congestive heart failure compounded by sleep apnea - all of your medical probrems are associated with each other.

Compression stockings, when worn throughout the day, can really keep the leg/ankle/foot edema away.

I'm gald to hear that you (unlike someone else on here ) have been following up with your docs - that is the best course of action.
Well Said.

Get better Teddy. And get you some of them thar stockings. The purty ones with the line running up the back of em

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 15:38   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Well Said.

Get better Teddy. And get you some of them thar stockings. The purty ones with the line running up the back of em
Gotcha,Eagle.......Maggies checking the internet right now.....Do I have to have them custom measured or fitted?........

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 05-31-2012, 15:42   #10
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_14N View Post
Big Teddy,

Just focus on getting well. Always remember you have a wealth of knowledge that you have not shared with enough people yet and I for one really appreciate the tidbits you share and the inputs you provide.

I also agree with Dusty and suspect too much ruckin' ( or something that rhymes with that ) could be an issue.

Just get well soon.

Cake

Your pretty clever,almost ready to run with Dusty.........

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 05-31-2012, 15:47   #11
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Do I have to have them custom measured or fitted?........

Big Teddy
Measurement Guidelines

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 13:33   #12
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

you can get Jobts compression stockings measured at a medical supply store with a Rx from your doc, they are custom made to you and the compression lasts longer and is better than the generic compression stockings. Also, may consider having your doc Rx Kendall's foot pumps. They help 'push' the fluid out from the feet up...they work well, I use them on patients in the ICU that have LE edema from all causes.

Good luck. Tell your doc that the edema isn't resolving with your lasix....they should know that.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:17   #13
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
you can get Jobts compression stockings measured at a medical supply store with a Rx from your doc, they are custom made to you and the compression lasts longer and is better than the generic compression stockings. Also, may consider having your doc Rx Kendall's foot pumps. They help 'push' the fluid out from the feet up...they work well, I use them on patients in the ICU that have LE edema from all causes.

Good luck. Tell your doc that the edema isn't resolving with your lasix....they should know that.

ss
ss,

Just saw him today,he said that from my recent chest X-rays he kicked my lasix to 80 mg a day........ I've got fluid in my lungs????........ Appreciate the info on custom made sox's,but to be honest I don't think I can afford them,he said they have them at Bed,Bath and Beyond called "Magic Sox's" for $15/pair that he himself wears.... BTW,he has temporarily ruled out PE but is concerned about my fluid and water retention,and said that less blood to my kidneys is why my feet and ankles are so swollen........ I'll tell you at my age and all that's come at me this year,I'm seriously thinking about "Duration vs. Quality of life"......Is it worth just being around struggling,sucking oxygen,I don't think so.... Think I'll move to Oregon if it gets any worse.......

Big Teddy

Hey guys I think this last post concerned some of you who recently PM me worried about my frame of mind,let me put you all at rest...... First I had offers to help purchase my sox's....... Thanks,but thats not necessary,OK......... I'll not mention names but this is just one response I gave to one of the guys who offered........Thanks,but I can't accept any money however thats really kind of you to offer.......I don't know if your aware of Maggie's condition,but she is terminal and was given maybe 5 years if she's lucky and that was 1 1/2 years ago. I wouldn't do anything that would leave her by herself,but after she goes and if I'm still around I'm going to get me a bottle of Jamason 12 year old rare and drop a few of those sleeping pills and leave the rest to God....... You know what's really funny,everyone wants to go to Heaven,but nobody wants to die............. BTW,your joke was funny,reminds me of Dusty's humor........

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 06-01-2012 at 17:31.
Old 06-01-2012, 17:53   #14
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
ss,

Just saw him today,he said that from my recent chest X-rays he kicked my lasix to 80 mg a day........ I've got fluid in my lungs????........ Appreciate the info on custom made sox's,but to be honest I don't think I can afford them,he said they have them at Bed,Bath and Beyond called "Magic Sox's" for $15/pair that he himself wears.... BTW,he has temporarily ruled out PE but is concerned about my fluid and water retention,and said that less blood to my kidneys is why my feet and ankles are so swollen........ I'll tell you at my age and all that's come at me this year,I'm seriously thinking about "Duration vs. Quality of life"......Is it worth just being around struggling,sucking oxygen,I don't think so.... Think I'll move to Oregon if it gets any worse.......

Big Teddy

Hey guys I think this last post concerned some of you who recently PM me worried about my frame of mind,let me put you all at rest...... First I had offers to help purchase my sox's....... Thanks,but thats not necessary,OK......... I'll not mention names but this is just one response I gave to one of the guys who offered........Thanks,but I can't accept any money however thats really kind of you to offer.......I don't know if your aware of Maggie's condition,but she is terminal and was given maybe 5 years if she's lucky and that was 1 1/2 years ago. I wouldn't do anything that would leave her by herself,but after she goes and if I'm still around I'm going to get me a bottle of Jamason 12 year old rare and drop a few of those sleeping pills and leave the rest to God....... You know what's really funny,everyone wants to go to Heaven,but nobody wants to die............. BTW,your joke was funny,reminds me of Dusty's humor........

Big Teddy
The extra 20 of Lasix will help some with the edema, the breathing will improve quite a bit with bump up too. I think you'll see the support hose, Jobst stockings, help quite a bit. I hope your cath goes well this month, keep us in the loop Big Teddy.

RF 1
j
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:54   #15
Sarski

I can't handle whiskey. Something about it brings out the wild in me and I wind up doing all kinds of fun stuff. But, from what I've heard the whiskey is more enjoyable without the sleeping pills.