PDA

View Full Version : socom as a indapendant branch of service

duce400
02-10-2012, 21:01
Gents,

While at the team room a conversation came up which I was told that there may be a possibility that USSOCOM may one day become a branch of service. This of course sparked my interest so after conducting a search on open sources (which turnedup nothing) I decided to open a post to see if anyone has heard anything of the sort, and possibly clarify that the thusfar rumor is in fact a real possibility.

Thanks,
duce400

longrange1947
02-10-2012, 21:23
Gents,

While at the team room a conversation came up which I was told that there may be a possibility that USSOCOM may one day become a branch of service. This of course sparked my interest so after conducting a search on open sources (which turnedup nothing) I decided to open a post to see if anyone has heard anything of the sort, and possibly clarify that the thusfar rumor is in fact a real possibility.

Thanks,
duce400

That is why USSOCOM exists, as an answer to the desire of some to have a separate but equal branch. It has been proposed for over a decade. I doubt seriously if it ever goes very far. The branches like the money they get for Spec Opns Forces.

Richard
02-10-2012, 21:34
...possibility that USSOCOM may one day become a branch of service...

I have mixed feelings on that one - in a Praetorian Guard sense, that is.

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

blacksmoke
02-11-2012, 02:29
I wonder what basic would be like.

Dozer523
02-11-2012, 06:27
Gents,

I decided to open a post to see if anyone has heard anything of the sort, and possibly clarify that the thusfar rumor is in fact a real possibility.

Thanks,
duce400 And with your very first post. No, Thank you.

Firers, Watch your lanes.

fasteddie565
02-11-2012, 08:00
Duce,

Intro,

fast eddie sends

longrange1947
02-11-2012, 08:23
Thank you Dozer, I had not even noticed.

Duce400, read welcome packet, post intro.

Thank you.

Richard
02-11-2012, 08:33
Guys,

Thanks for the help but we've already sent him a PM w/link to the intro instructions - let's leave the available space for commenting on the topic of the thread. ;)

Appreciatively,

Richard

Airbornelawyer
02-11-2012, 13:05
Gents,

Thanks,
duce400
That is why USSOCOM exists, as an answer to the desire of some to have a separate but equal branch. It has been proposed for over a decade. I doubt seriously if it ever goes very far. The branches like the money they get for Spec Opns Forces.
I think it goes back further than that. It was debated in 1986 when Goldwater-Nichols was still working its way through Congress. USSOCOM was a compromise - a combatant command like the others created under the Act, but not quite like the the others. If you look at Chapter 6 of Title 10 of the US Code, you see that when the combatant commands were created, SOCOM was given its own special role and authority (Title 10, Section 167) beyond the other commands. In acquisition matters, for example, the commander of SOCOM has the same authority as the Secretaries of the Army, Navy and Air Force.

But it was a compromise, and tensions continue to exist, so every few years the debate comes up again. For example, SOCOM has the authority to develop special operations doctrine and to train assigned forces, and to "monitor" the professional development of special operations officers, so there is inevitable tension between SOCOM and TRADOC over various issues and between SOCOM and HRC/PERSCOM over others.

I think in recent years the debate, such that it is, has been more about the role JSOC than SOCOM as a whole.

By the way, duce400, as a somewhat nitpicky aside, while your original post is a fairly well-written and logical query, your topic title has so many grammatical errors it makes baby Jesus cry. I know there are probably almost as many grammar Nazis as bad grammarians on the Internet, and nobody's perfect, but you need to show more attention to detail, especially if you want to be taken seriously on a professional forum, rather than a Facebook wall.

Utah Bob
02-12-2012, 10:38
I have mixed feelings on that one - in a Praetorian Guard sense, that is.

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Ditto...and a few others in history.:rolleyes:

Pete
02-12-2012, 11:31
.................................Not enough shoes.

If SOF becomes it's own branch then what?

Does that Branch recruit from the other branches or recruit off the street? As a branch it will still need a lot of non-SOF slots/jobs.

As all SOF troops go to SOF you don't think each branch will try and form SOF "light" like units?

Think it would lead to more or less Generals, CSMs, staffs and HQs?

mark46th
02-13-2012, 13:47
Adm McRaven was asking for more autonomy over SOF Missions, being able to pick and choose who, where and what SOF does. I don't think that is a good idea. Regional commanders not being consulted about ops in their AO? That could be dangerous for civilians, conventional troops and SOF doing the mission...

Renegade
02-13-2012, 14:06
http://www.military.com/news/article/report-top-spec-ops-officer-seeks-new-powers.html

longrange1947
02-13-2012, 15:21
And you guys did not see this coming with the Navy in charge now????? :munchin :D :D

turboprop
02-15-2012, 19:56
I've always considered myself quite "indapendent," maybe they will have a spot for me. I'm guessing you were going for "deuce" as a screen name and weren't trying to pay homage to Mussolini. If that's the case you can use this mix up as a chance to have a fresh start here. Read a bit to get a feel for how stuff goes around here first. Good luck!

Mills
02-17-2012, 21:46
.................................Not enough shoes.

If SOF becomes it's own branch then what?

Does that Branch recruit from the other branches or recruit off the street? As a branch it will still need a lot of non-SOF slots/jobs.

As all SOF troops go to SOF you don't think each branch will try and form SOF "light" like units?

Think it would lead to more or less Generals, CSMs, staffs and HQs?

I agree. I think it would open the doors for a bunch of brass to move this way and "jump on the bandwagon".

I would just be happy if SF moved over to the other side of things, and fell out from under " the army umbrella".

Maybe I could spend more time worrying about how I can better myself, and my team versus hearing about how I failed to update my information assurance and enroll in NCOES SSD, and oh yeah..........how my PDHA was lost, so I have to re-interview and re-submit.

Ok, sorry guys. I get fired up over all of the Admin shit. Especially recently.

:mad:

Razor
02-23-2012, 21:39
Since combatant commands, not military departments, hold the authority to direct operations, SOF is much better off being represented by SOCOM than by a Service secretary.