PDA

View Full Version : Class Act

The Reaper
09-16-2004, 20:10
FYI.

TR

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040916/480/wvrs10309162250

Three-year-old Sophia Parlock cries while seated on the shoulders of her father, Phil Parlock, after having their Bush-Cheney sign torn up by Kerry-Edwards supporters on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2004, at the Tri-State Airport in Huntington, W.Va. Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites) made a brief stop at the airport as he concluded his two-day bus tour to locations in West Virginia and Ohio. (AP Photo/Randy Snyder)

NousDefionsDoc
09-16-2004, 22:42
Why doesn't this kind of shit ever happen when I happen to be standing close by?

Vale Tudo
09-17-2004, 00:00
It is the definition of "despicable".

The Washington Times did a story on this where they interviewed the father.

Check it out: http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040917-010155-8041r.htm

Note the last sentence, which is completely unrelated to the story, yet the author felt compelled to include it:

Anti-war demonstrators have complained in recent weeks that they have been manhandled by security agents at Bush-Cheney campaign events.

Radar Rider
09-17-2004, 02:20
I seriously doubt that any 3-year olds have been "man-handled" by Bush-Cheney security agents. It's sick enough that they attack a child; trying to justify it is even sicker. :mad:

09-17-2004, 05:26
Look for the union label.

37F5V
09-17-2004, 06:51
What a short sighted, self-serving punk. These idiots refuse to see the big picture, blinded by their own hardship. My Father (whom I love) is a rail road worker and spews the same bullshit rhetoric. The problem is that he is blinded by his concern for the welfare of his organization, not the Nation as a whole.

Oh yeah, the F'd up thing is that it looks like the Ass is laughing. :mad:

QRQ 30
09-17-2004, 07:39
Although the results are totally uncalled for isn't going to an opponents rally bearing your own signs somewhat like jumping into the lion's den with a pork chop around your neck? I don't think I would have exposed my children to such a situation. I may have put on an anti-demonstration but left the kids at home. :(

Roguish Lawyer
09-17-2004, 08:39
Although the results are totally uncalled for isn't going to an opponents rally bearing your own signs somewhat like jumping into the lion's den with a pork chop around your neck? I don't think I would have exposed my children to such a situation. I may have put on an anti-demonstration but left the kids at home. :(

Good point.

Bill Harsey
09-17-2004, 08:47
Why doesn't this kind of shit ever happen when I happen to be standing close by?
It's because your standing close by.

The Reaper
09-17-2004, 08:54

Practical considerations aside, are his family members not allowed their precious First Amendment rights, and should asshole union members in WVa make a habit out of tormenting three year old girls?

Are we saying that by being there with those signs, they deserved it?

I do not think you will see me (or many others) ripping a K-E sign from some kid's hands at a B-C rally.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
09-17-2004, 08:58
Practical considerations aside, are his family members not allowed their precious First Amendment rights, and should asshole union members in WVa make a habit out of tormenting three year old girls?

I do not think you will see me (or many others) ripping a K-E sign from some kid's hands at a B-C rally.

TR

I agree, but the guy put his kid in harm's way. It doesn't matter that people SHOULDN'T behave that way -- the fact is that they do and he should have known it.

That is no excuse for the misconduct by the Kerry supporters.

brownapple
09-17-2004, 09:15

Unless I am misunderstanding the article, this was a public appearance at an airport, not a rally.

And isn't your comment kind of like blaming a rape on the clothes worn or place where it happened?

The Reaper
09-17-2004, 09:16
I agree, but the guy put his kid in harm's way. It doesn't matter that people SHOULDN'T behave that way -- the fact is that they do and he should have known it.

That is no excuse for the misconduct by the Kerry supporters.

Then I guess dressing provacatively invites rape and makes it the victim's fault?

TR

bberkley
09-17-2004, 10:12
All I can say is that its a good thing that wasn't my kid, not that my 19-month old has much interest in anything other than getting into things and places he shouldn't be. My wife wouldn't approve of me taking the little guy to something like that. I wonder why this guy would take his kids to see the opposition VP candidate land at the airport unless he expected problems? The diehard faithful there to cheer on Mr. I-Sue-Doctors-Out-of-Business-Edwards aren't likely to be receptive of an opposing viewpoint, why potentially endanger your small children?

The whole thing reminds me of that video from the Seattle area where a B-C supporter got sucker-punched by a K-E supporter.

I personally aim to steer clear of crowds like that because I don't need to be tempted to introduce some hippy anarchist's cranium to their own fourth point of contact. I have a hard enough time listening to my mother-in-law, sister, and mother prattle about voting against Bush, I certainly have ZERO tolerance for someone I don't know getting in my face.

The VP is supposed to be in my neck of the woods today, but I have no idea where, just that its close to the Democratic People's Republik of Eugene.

QRQ 30
09-17-2004, 10:14

TR

Yes they are entitled to their rights. If you look again you will see that they are right at the barricade. The man intended to create a fuss and should not have endangered a three year old girl.

No, asshole union members in WVa or anywhere else in the States shouldn't make a habit of tormenting three year old girls. In fact, once is too much.

No I'm not saying they deserved the treatment but the father may have done more to avoid a direct confrontation.

You won't see me doing so either.

Have you thought of the possibility that this may have been a planned incident? Under the circumstances, would you be calmly standing at the barricade with your daughter on your shoulders, conveniently in front of a camera?

Bravo1-3
09-17-2004, 10:38
No way... There are rallys from both sides up here all the time. you won't see B-C types at K-E rallys in force, but when they do go, this kind of thing happens all the time. It happens to the Protest Warrior guys down in Portland all the time.

Go to a B-C rally, and you'll see hundreds of K-E types there too. Lord help us if one of their signs even gets blocked... never mind destroyed.

Only Democrats are allowed true Freedom of Speech around here (unless they're "Conservative Democrats").

Now, I'm not the #1 fan of this person in particular, as I can't STAND seeing people put their kids up as political statements. Around here, every DNC and Anti-War (Anti-Bush really) rally has to have some 6-10 year old kid giving an "emotional plea" to the assmbled crowd about how "Pwesident Bush is bad (uh) and (uh, ummm) wawr is bad and (uh, ummm) fighting is bad..." etc. It's obvious they are simply doing their "parents" (term used loosly) bidding. Just as I don't like those activities, I don't like this kind of crap either.

Though admittedly, I do like the fact that both sides are teaching their children to participate in the process.

Roycroft201
09-17-2004, 12:21
RE: the original pic :

What bothers me a great deal:

#1) is the fact that the 12 YO (approx) on the right of the father and child, has his right hand made into a fist. Guess his school isn't including some of the 'character- building' activities in their curriculum- those that teach 'respect '& 'responsibility for one's actions'. This 'child' is ready to pummel a dad and a THREE year old CHILD ? Don't get me started.

#2) is the fact that 'Mr. Cool', with his baseball cap reversed, is standing there with remnants of the Bush-Cheney sign in his hand as he looks at the toddler who is crying, and quite possibly scared out of her wits at this point.
I wonder how well versed "Mr. Cool" is on ALL the issues of this campaign, given his age.

Yup, NDD, I too wish you had been standing there, as it seems those 2 young men need some direction or perhaps, attitude adjustment of some 'plain talking'.

RC201

brownapple
09-17-2004, 18:13
Have you thought of the possibility that this may have been a planned incident? Under the circumstances, would you be calmly standing at the barricade with your daughter on your shoulders, conveniently in front of a camera?

If I also had my 11 year old son with me (as this father did), you're darn right I'd be at the barricade. It's the only way the young boy would get the opportunity to see (for your information, Roycroft, the young man with his hand in a fist is the little girl's brother...no wonder to me that he has a fist made, and I think it's a pretty positive statement about their family).

QRQ 30
09-17-2004, 20:53
Green hat the man, according to the articl, had nine signs. IMHO he wasn't there to see Edwards, he was there to put on a counter-demonstration and had no business taking his kids. I hope his wife beat his ass.

That said, when I was in college I was a volunteer guinea pig for a student doing his thesis on the Rorsach ink blot tests. This picture demonstrates the Rorsach principle. People will see different things within the same picture. This is an indication of their predilections and attitudes. As an example, some see a boy about to attack the man and others see a boy about to defend his father.

Roycroft201
09-17-2004, 21:36
This picture demonstrates the Rorsach principle. People will see different things within the same picture. This is an indication of their predilections and attitudes. As an example, some see a boy about to attack the man and others see a boy about to defend his father.

It also demonstrates what happens when someone reads a Washington Times article too quickly and fails to comprehend that the boy was the dad's 11 year old son ! Sorry 'bout that . However, it does still sadden me that in our free society, and our 2 party system, and our right to assemble, and our right to free speech, that, in the end, an eleven year old boy is even put in the position of having to clench his fist.

Thanks for pointing out my error, Greenhat, and now I'm back to studying my ink blots for the next test . :o

RC201

The Reaper
09-17-2004, 22:13
I do not buy the "He had it coming", or "he brought it on himself" defense.

I guess I'd be the model for bad behavior who made the news getting hauled off in the back of the police car.

Whether I choose to take my kids, or my signs is my business. I have the right, and the moral authority to do so. Did that Dad dress like he was cruising for trouble?

The people who disagree with my presence there and my signs have the right to politely speak their minds about it.

As soon as an adult takes something from my little girl maliciously, and makes her cry, or puts his hands on my kids or me, best be prepared to defend himself, ASAP.

I think the Duke summed it up pretty well in "The Shootist" when he said,

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Just my .02. YMMV.

TR

brownapple
09-18-2004, 04:33
I do not buy the "He had it coming", or "he brought it on himself" defense.

I guess I'd be the model for bad behavior who made the news getting hauled off in the back of the police car.

Whether I choose to take my kids, or my signs is my business. I have the right, and the moral authority to do so. Did that Dad dress like he was cruising for trouble?

The people who disagree with my presence there and my signs have the right to politely speak their minds about it.

As soon as an adult takes something from my little girl maliciously, and makes her cry, or puts his hands on my kids or me, best be prepared to defend himself, ASAP.

I think the Duke summed it up pretty well in "The Shootist" when he said,

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Just my .02. YMMV.

TR

I agree 100%.

QRQ 30
09-18-2004, 05:58
I too agree. Now, who offered any sort of defense for the action? I stand by my assessment that the father may have shown bad judgement as we all have at one time or another.

I have a perfectly legal right to attend a "Burn Terry At The Stake" ralley, but I would leave my children at home.

Doc
09-18-2004, 06:09
Both parties are represented at each and every one of the political events here in Ohio. The 1st Amendment is a law we can live with.

That picture sums up the entire Kerry/Edwards campaign IMHO. The phrase "by any means necessary" should be their official slogan.

If I was Kerry or Edwards I would have issued a warning to the guilty party and an apology to that man and his daughter, but that's me. I wouldn't want people that rip signs from a 3 year old girl representing me or my organization.

I totally agree with NDD. If I had been there, someone would have gotten hurt.

Incidents like these and the protests in NYC during the RNC only show me that these people are on the ropes and they know it.

Hijack in progress. Important Note to all of you;

The POTUS is coming on the O'Reilly Factor next week. He's once again leading the way by coming into the "No Spin Zone" first. It will take three editions to show it all. Smart move IMO as a lot of people go to Fox to get their news now.

Doc

Guy
09-18-2004, 07:51
The next big rally here in San Francisco, CA. I'm going to display a Bush/Cheney sign...

'May GOD help the individual/s that snatches it"!

Immediate "monkeystomping" will commence.

Snatching a sign out of a little girls hand, by a grown man...because he didn't like it? C'mon now, this guy has/had some serious mental issues.

The only fault I find with the father. Is that he didn't get his kids to a safe place come back and "stomp the shit out of the guy"!

QRQ 30
09-18-2004, 08:38
What a short sighted, self-serving punk. These idiots refuse to see the big picture, blinded by their own hardship. My Father (whom I love) is a rail road worker and spews the same bullshit rhetoric. The problem is that he is blinded by his concern for the welfare of his organization, not the Nation as a whole.

Oh yeah, the F'd up thing is that it looks like the Ass is laughing. :mad:

Probably the most accurate statement on the subject.

IMO we are politicising this too much. You are looking at the blight of the times: total lack of respect for another's rights -- period. No politics involved. This could just as well have been a sign saying "Go Bruins" in the USC section of the Collesium.

OTOH the macho resonses are also a symptom. The first priority is to get the girl to safety. Two weeks ago a marine Lt and his brother were shot dead at a tail gate party at Carter Finley Stadium in Raleigh. So fartthis year, there have been three shootings at or after highschool football games in the area, and the season is young.
:confused:

Roguish Lawyer
09-18-2004, 10:08
TR, GH and QRQ:

Seems to me that your points are not inconsistent with one another. QRQ is not condoning these actions, just pointing out that the misconduct was foreseeable. I do a fair amount of this type of work, and I would NEVER bring my kids with me! Not at their current age.

Guy:

I would love to join you if you can give me a little notice!

The Reaper
09-18-2004, 10:19
TR, GH and QRQ:

Seems to me that your points are not inconsistent with one another. QRQ is not condoning these actions, just pointing out that the misconduct was foreseeable.

Then why has Michael Moore, AKA "Fat Bastard" not been assaulted at any of the events he has attended?

TR

Guy
09-18-2004, 10:32
TR, GH and QRQ:

Guy:

I would love to join you if you can give me a little notice!

Watch/listen to the types of name-calling they direct towards me. :D

I bashed Clinton one time, in front of a group of blacks. :) Man did they get upset!

QRQ 30
09-18-2004, 11:05
Then why has Michael Moore, AKA "Fat Bastard" not been assaulted at any of the events he has attended?

TR

Body Guards AKA Security??
:rolleyes:

Roguish Lawyer
09-18-2004, 11:51

TR

IIRC, Mr. Moore is welcome at Kerry events.

This was a Bush supporter bringing his little girl to a Kerry rally, not a Kerry supporter bringing his little girl to a Bush rally. Very different propositions. And this further illustrates that there is no inconsistency in the viewpoints being expressed.

The fact that a woman dressed and acted provocatively in a bar full of very drunk men does not excuse a sexual assault against her. But this doesn't mean that women should conduct themselves in that manner in that setting, does it? Is it prudent to do that?

BadMuther
09-18-2004, 14:20
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=18&u=/ap/20040918/ap_on_el_pr/rally_ruckus

Internet chatter is now news! :)

To paraphrase the Kerry spokesperson, "We support differing points of view as long as they don't conflict with ours-which is hard, because ours changes daily. Thank you for your support."

brownapple
09-18-2004, 22:52
IIRC, Mr. Moore is welcome at Kerry events.

This was a Bush supporter bringing his little girl to a Kerry rally, not a Kerry supporter bringing his little girl to a Bush rally. Very different propositions. And this further illustrates that there is no inconsistency in the viewpoints being expressed.

The fact that a woman dressed and acted provocatively in a bar full of very drunk men does not excuse a sexual assault against her. But this doesn't mean that women should conduct themselves in that manner in that setting, does it? Is it prudent to do that?

RL,

Moore attended the Republican Convention and he wasn't assaulted.

It is a good thing that those who serve our nation weren't concerned about defending your rights only when it was prudent.

lrd
09-19-2004, 05:04
TR, GH and QRQ:

Seems to me that your points are not inconsistent with one another. QRQ is not condoning these actions, just pointing out that the misconduct was foreseeable. I do a fair amount of this type of work, and I would NEVER bring my kids with me! Not at their current age.

Guy:

I would love to join you if you can give me a little notice!I understand what you're saying, but the point remains: a political rally should not be a danger zone for children. When I was growing up, I learned about our political system through observation and participation. What are we teaching our youth about our system of government?

I'm not picking on you RL, just using you as an example that we're all familiar with. Are RL's children in danger because of the sign in his front yard? How many times has it been torn down? Can we foresee that it will be torn down again? Haven't we made it into a game? Does he need to keep his kids inside until the election?

There is no reason that I can think of that this man and his children should not have been allowed to attend this rally. If you say that he should have stayed home, or his children should have stayed home, how far are you from saying that he/they shouldn't have been allowed to be there?

Just a few early morning thoughts.

QRQ 30
09-19-2004, 06:36
This is going the way of most political "discussions" and I will have my last word.

NOBODY, I say again NOBODY has defended the actions of the punks at the ralley. The DNC as well as the union have apologized.

As for Moor, isn't that argument ad absurdem? Isn't security somewhat tighter. All of the attendees at the convention were screened unlike a few "union punks" outside at an airfield.

Let's see this for what it was: A group of punks acting like a group of punks -- period. There is no cause to criticise the DNC for their actions. God knows there are enough real issues to bring up and discuss.

I merely said that the man may have used poor judgement in taking a three year old girl when he apparently planned to create a situation since he had nine signs stuffed down his pants leg along with a larger one at the car being displayed by a partner. That is not to say he did something "wrong". :(

Roguish Lawyer
09-19-2004, 10:35
GH and lrd:

I think if you'll re-read my posts you'll see that we are really not in disagreement.

Maas
09-21-2004, 20:03
I merely said that the man may have used poor judgement in taking a three year old girl when he apparently planned to create a situation since he had nine signs stuffed down his pants leg along with a larger one at the car being displayed by a partner. That is not to say he did something "wrong". :(

I agree with QRQ. They had every right to be there an express themselves. But as a parent, I feel that my first proirity is to protect my children and not expose them to any potential harm. My thought process would have been something along these lines: Support Bush, go to Kerry land, expect conflict. Hence .. leave the kids at home.

My $.02 worth.