PDA

View Full Version : Religion

JAH687
07-16-2011, 05:10
Hi guys, my name is Jordan (new on this forum) and I'm starting Army ROTC in August. Hopefully I'll one day get the opportunity to train for SF and make it to an a-team. But here's my question. I find myself now at a point in my life where I'm totally confused about my own religious beliefs and spirituality. I personally feel a strong force guiding me in my life that pushes me to work harder and always to try to do the right thing. But as a self-proclaimed man of science (my major is chemistry) and a former atheist, I find it hard to totally justify following any organized religion because I can't say that I agree totally with any of them. How has religion or spirituality effected your SF careers or your decision to join SF? I apologize if something like this has already been posted, I used the search button but could not find anything. If something already exists, please just redirect me and I'll be on my way. Thanks!

Pete
07-16-2011, 05:21
As with everywhere and everyone - this subject covers the whole range left - right & up - down.

You may resolve this by talking with others.

But it does not become an issue unless you make it one.

Eagle5US
07-16-2011, 05:45
It has provided me with targets on multiple occasions.:D

Ret10Echo
07-16-2011, 05:54
...my own religious beliefs and spirituality...

Exactly... you will determine what that IT is for you.

As Pete stated, this subject covers the whole range left - right & up - down.

Only advice: Don't confuse "religion" (doctrine and dogma) with "faith"

spottedmedic111
07-16-2011, 06:05
Many in SF are Christians, many are not. Leave others alone and they'll leave you alone, that's the best advice I can give.

greenberetTFS
07-16-2011, 06:33
Faith is important but not unless you know that having it not enough...........It's more important to know who your faith in, Jesus...............:D

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
07-16-2011, 07:03
Faith is important but not unless you know that having it not enough...........It's more important to know who your faith in, Jesus...............:D

Big Teddy :munchin

Roger that.

Dragbag036
07-16-2011, 07:22
As the others above have stated, it is not religion or the other people who do or do not have it that is YOUR problem. It is what YOU have for yourself. Many SF Brotheren have THEIR OWN inner strength that keeps them going. In my experience, which is one of faith in the Almighty, after you do whatever you do or not do to your deity, the training, your mission, and your brothers take over. Respect for the Team Room is important. What makes SF auspicious is tolerance and knowing that you work with Professionals.

The struggle now going on for the world will never be decided by bombs or rockets, by armies or military might. The real crisis we face today is a spiritual one; at root, it is a test of moral will and faith.

RONALD REAGAN, speech for National Association of Evangelicals, March 8, 1983

wet dog
07-16-2011, 09:08
On a small brick wall, in an obscure portion of Ft. Bragg, NC -

In memory of our fallen team mates, who were men of vision, daring to be different. Men who had confidence in themselves, trusted their fate to God. They were men of courage, who earned and wore the Green Beret.

Team Sergeant
07-16-2011, 10:09
If you are not an SF soldier feel free to "ask" questions.

Special Forces Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

gits
07-16-2011, 10:28
Religion is a joke. Attending church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. If you accept and understand who Jesus is then you'll understand what you need to do. Churches have their place but if you are looking at the external things then you are missing the point if you don't know your own faith in Jesus.

sinjefe
07-16-2011, 10:42
Be careful following anyone else's advice. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions. Other men don't have any more answers than you will find on your own. Steer clear of those who are insulting one way or the other.

Team Sergeant
07-16-2011, 10:55
Religion is a joke. Attending church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. If you accept and understand who Jesus is then you'll understand what you need to do. Churches have their place but if you are looking at the external things then you are missing the point if you don't know your own faith in Jesus.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk like this could put the trillion dollar a year organized religious industry in jeopardy!!!!!!!!
Now be quiet else I slip you some kool-aid.......;)

JAH687
07-16-2011, 16:38
I appreciate all of your advice, and the diversity in your opinions! I'll certainly take some time to reflect on your comments and do some more thinking of my own.

I did find the general tendency towards personal faith over organized religion interesting though.

When filling out college applications, there was usually a question about religion where it would ask you whether you were one of a dozen or so common organized religions, then either atheist, agnotic, or "other. If 'other' please fill in the blank ___________". I just left the "___________" as a blank, but so begun my epic voyage to figure out what I believe in which continues to this very day and this very forum.

Thanks guys!

albeham
07-16-2011, 16:49
if you guys were to sum up your experience of the culture in the SF, the people you work and communicate with everyday, what you say the prevailing religious thought is? realistically, do people get treated differently if they are not christian?

Wonder where he is going with this?

:confused:

Tress
07-16-2011, 17:48
Originally Posted by Abrazadereas
if you guys were to sum up your experience of the culture in the SF, the people you work and communicate with everyday, what you say the prevailing religious thought is? realistically, do people get treated differently if they are not christian?

Commented on by albeham:

Wonder where he is going with this? :confused:

I do not know, but I do hope it is somewhere very far from here! :munchin

Pete
07-16-2011, 17:58
...............do any of you QP's take exception to what i have said here? because as far as you are the collective ideal of what i want to do with my life, and who i want to be, your opinion is of value to me. ..............

Mu opinion is you need to stop dropping your pants in public.

Read more - post less. You have a very poor feel for this board.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-16-2011, 18:27
This is always an intregueing topic for conjecture. Religions to me has been guide posts for many societies and groups of peoples. Faith has always been a special trust in the possibilities available to us as we face daily challenges.
A religion will provide methods for worship,life,and afterlife. Faith will provide an invisible power that lends great strengths toward our endeavors. Religions require focused faith in a Deity or Deities, and its rules...and offers a certain security to followers who "follow" .
Faith requires each of us to believe in forces outside of ourselves to give us strength do overcome adversity. Ultimately, each individual must and will find something to believe in that will ,in times of great need, provide an internal strength to overcome.
Some believe in obeying a system, some believe in the unknown forces that created us all.
I believe that the creator provided all I need when I was formed. All that I ever would need , was provided. It is for me to have the Faith in that, and maintain that faith to energize the invisible strengths provided.
Just my 2 cents...Dave

JAH687
07-16-2011, 19:05
This is always an intregueing topic for conjecture. I believe that the creator provided all I need when I was formed. All that I ever would need , was provided. It is for me to have the Faith in that, and maintain that faith to energize the invisible strengths provided.
Just my 2 cents...Dave

Well spoken Dave, definately very insightful. I have to admit that I feel very similarly. My faith is strongest when things get hard, and I find it wains when I get complacent and soft minded.

--Also, I see you like Thomas Jefferson. He's my favorite president, a real gentleman, statesman, and patriot down to the core.

wet dog
07-16-2011, 19:56
SHIT is everywhere. So as long as you're stepping in it, show it some respect.

WORLD RELIGIONS PHILOSOPHY AND OTHER THINGS
THE COMPLETE AND UNCENSORED SHIT LIST

AGNOSTICISM What is this shit?
ALTRUISM Want some shit?
AMISH Shit dost occur.
APATHISM I don't give a shit.
ATHEISM I don't believe this shit.
BA'HAI All shit is truly shit.
BUDDHISM Shit happens.
BAPTIST FUNDAMENTALISM Shit happens because the Bible says so.
CAPITALISM How much will this shit cost?
CARTESIANISM I shit, therefore I am.
CATHOLICISM If shit happens, you deserved it.
CLASSICAL Marxism The workers take all the shit, but they're gonna dish it back out again.
COMMUNISM It's everybody's shit.
CONFUCIANISM Confucius say, "Shit happens."
CREATION SCIENCE We have proof that God created all the shit that happens.
CONTRACT THEORY If we don't agree to form society, everything will go to shit.
DADISM Your mom knows her shit.
DARWINISM We came up from shit.
DESCARTES I shit therefore I am.
DIANETICS Shit your way to a better life.
DOMINICANS Belive in shit, or we'll boil you in it.
DYSLEXIANISM Hits shapnep.
DISCORDIANISM This MIGHT be shit, but is instead a fuzzy 1955 Mustang.
Logical-Positivism Shit = S+H+I+T
MARINES It's not just shit, it's an adventure.
MCCARTHYISM Are you now, or have you ever been, shit?
MENNONITE None of this modern shit now.
MOMISM You'll eat this shit and like it!
MORMONISM Your shit is shit, but our shit is the ONE TRUE shit.
MURPHISM Shit always happens at the worst possible time and place.
NARCISSISM My shit don't stink.
NIETSCHE If you're not Ubermenschen, you're not shit.
NIHILISM Everything is shit.
NIXONISM Shit didn't happen, and if it did, I don't know anything about it.
Nonsequiturism Route 176 goes south.
Objectivism (Ann Rand) Shit is Shit.
PAGANISM Shit happens. And is a part of nature.
PANGLOSSISM This is the best of all possible shits.
PLATONISM There is an ideal shit, of which all the shit that happens is but an imperfect image.
PROTESTANTISM Let shit happen to someone else.
RASTAFARIAN Shit happens, but if it's all right with Jah, it's all right with me.
ROBINISM (tv) Holy shit Batman!
RUSSEAU Only natural shit is worth shit.
Rastafarianism "Let's smoke this shit."
SHINTO Shit is everywhere. So as long as you're stepping in it, show it some respect.
SKINNERISM If eat then shit.
SOLIPSISM All this shit is a creation of my imagination.
SOLIPSISM The only thing I can be sure of is that my shit happens.
SPOONERISM Hit shappens.
STALINISM The state treats you like shit.
SUBGENIUS Bob happens -- SO GIVE ME SOME SLACK!
SURREALISM Shit is shiny and shaped like a buick.
Scientific-Creationism Shit happens all at once
Secular-Humanism Shit happens, but there's a rational explanation.
TAOISM The shit that happens is not the true shit.
THE-FORCE Do not be swayed by the Dark Side of the shit.
TV-Evangelism you need our shit, but it'll cost you.
UNITARIANISM There's only one shit, but you can have it happen any way you want.
Utilitarianism Do that which generates the greatest shit for the greatest number.
VANDALISM I'm gonna wreck this shit!
VOODOOISM Shit doesn't just happen - somebody dumped it on you
Xeno's paradox It's logically impossible for shit to happen.
YUPPIEISM It's my shit! All mine!
ZEN What is the sound of shit happening?

COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF WORLD RELIGIOUS PHILOSOPHIES

TAOISM Shit Happens
CONFUCIANISM Confucius says, "Shit Happens."
ZEN What is the sound of shit happening?
YOGA There's a full lotus shit happening.
TRANSCENDENTAL MEDITATION Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.......
HINDUISM This shit has happened before.
ISLAM If shit happens, it is the will of Allah.
CATHOLICISM If shit happens, you deserve it.
FUNDAMENTALISM If shit happens, they deserve it.
PROTESTANTISM Let shit happen to someone else.
EPISCOPALIANISM When shit happens, make it tasteful.
JUDAISM Why does shit always happen to US?
MORMONISM Shit's going to happen. Stockpile.
UNITARIANISM Deal with your own shit happening.
TWELVE STEP PROGRAMS. We're powerless over shit. Turn shit over.
ASTROLOGY Uranus transits.
PERESTROIKA We can't control shit. Let shit happen.
AGNOSTICISM Shit may or may not be happening; we don't know shit.
ATHEISM No shit.
GNOSTICISM Know shit.
My own list (to be edited in later)...
Taoism Shit happens
Confucianism Confucius say, "shit happens."
Buddhism If shit happens, it isn't really shit.
Zen What is the sound of shit happening?
Hinduism This shit happened before.
Islam If shit happens, it is the will of Allah.
Islam If shit happens, take a hostage.
Protestantism Let shit happen to someone else.
Protestantism Shit won't happen if I work harder.
Catholicism If shit happens, you deserve it.
Judaism Why does this shit always happen to us?
Atheism I don't believe this shit
Agnosticism What is this shit?
Unitarian What is this shit?
Hare Krishna Shit happens rama rama ding ding.
7th Day Adventist Shit happens on Saturdays.
Jehovah's Witness Knock, knock, "Shit happens."
Mormon Shit happens again & again & again.
Rastafarianism Let's smoke this shit!

JAH687
07-17-2011, 07:01
How has religion or spirituality effected your SF careers or your decision to join SF?

I feel as though this has gotten deeply off topic. All I'm really trying to do is ask the QPs what role faith played in their careers as QPs. I am not trying to set up a place to compare, support, validate, or trash various view points. I am not trying to merge of all your religious views to create to some super SF religion where we would all worship the 'Jolly Green Beret Giant' or the likeness of John Wayne. And no offense to Wet Dog, but I'm definately not asking for "shit" thats been copy + pasted off of arbitrary corners of internet. I was asking for stories more than advice.

spottedmedic111
07-17-2011, 07:22
Lucid comment. Since I'm not cleared to speak for Special Forces (though I'm somehow still wearing the tab) I'll just say you seem to have your head on straight. Good luck in your pursuits!

BTW, I thought the thread was legit and respectful. I don't know why anyone would choose to portray the community as less than that.

Dusty
07-17-2011, 07:27
I feel as though this has gotten deeply off topic. All I'm really trying to do is ask the QPs what role faith played in their careers as QPs. I am not trying to set up a place to compare, support, validate, or trash various view points. I am not trying to merge of all your religious views to create to some super SF religion where we would all worship the 'Jolly Green Beret Giant' or the likeness of John Wayne. And no offense to Wet Dog, but I'm definately not asking for "shit" thats been copy + pasted off of arbitrary corners of internet. I was asking for stories more than advice.

Just during my time on active duty wearing a Green Beret I experienced too many events to enumerate in which I prayed to Jesus Christ to get me through-some were just minor hassles and some life-or-death emergencies.

Gave thanks many times, too-but not earnestly or often enough.

The reason I'm alive today is because His mission for me hasn't been completed.

JAH687
07-17-2011, 08:19
BTW, I thought the thread was legit and respectful. I don't know why anyone would choose to portray the community as less than that.

I agree fully, I thought everyone was being respectful. I just thought that I originally misled folks by providing too much unnecesarry background information, and I noticed it taking a turn for the worst when Abrazadereas tried to recieve some kind of spiritual validation from you guys. I'm just trying to get things back on track.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-17-2011, 08:40
You forgot what you asked for.
Originally Posted by JAH687 View Post
How has religion or spirituality effected your SF careers or your decision to join SF?

You asked about Religion and Spirituality. Faith is a different type of power all together, but the previous two require it.

Utah Bob
07-17-2011, 09:06
I'll certainly take some time to reflect on your comments and do some more thinking of my own.

And that thinking should take many years, Grasshopper.

wet dog
07-17-2011, 09:46
I agree fully, I thought everyone was being respectful. ..... I'm just trying to get things back on track.

O.K., since we are back on track, we'll continue, but despite my failed attempt to bring a bit of humor on a Saturday afternoon, I did use the internet to find, at least a comparative in alphabetical order.

My favorite is still:

"THE-FORCE: Do not be swayed by the Dark Side of the shit."

My SF experience took me to the Islands of the South Pacific, the mountains of Tibet, the Jungles of Central and South America, the valleys and mountains of Puru, the snow topped Andes, Eastern Europe, Southwest Asia, (Middle East), the Far East, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, China, and Japan.

I met a few bad guys, drug and dope dealers in St. Petersburg, human traffickers in Los Angeles, Miami, New York, and Mexico City. I've met crooked federal agents, and dis-honest pizza delivery guys.

Why do I tell you this? It is because Greed, Lust and Selfishness can quickly remove any evidence of moral fiber in the best of us, or anyone else for that matter.

Catholic soldiers, under the command of Slobodan Milosevic, killed Albanian-Islamic men, women and children. I saw the evidence of Albanian women who killed other women because they were Serbian. Really? But don’t tell me because it was for religious efforts. It was for greed in ownership of lands, money and power.

Religion has caused more problems in our young world history – but I still believe, and I believe I will be held accountable for my actions. I try the RIGHT, not because I fear an angry father-type who will be disappointed, I attempt the RIGHT, because, it is the right thing to do.

Have I ever, lied, cheated or stole? Yes. Have I ever performed an action in ANGER, yup.

I am accepted by some, dis-liked by many, loved by few.

The question is: How will you perform? Will religious conviction direct your behavior? Will you stand up for RIGHT or will you be swayed like a bug in a wind storm.

The question asked: How has religion or spirituality affected careers or decision to join SF?

I joined SF because if felt I had a calling to do so, like many here, (ZonieDiver) specifically, felt drawn to Special Forces. Many QPs, if not all, feel strongly about the plight of women and child around the world, the oppression of others, and a common theme that FREEDOM is for all.

There are too many threads at PS.com that have been started or ended with religious discussion. Why we serve, have served or continue to serve in Special Forces is a personal choice that each QP has to make for themselves.

I propose a new theme, I’ll call it the Spider Man dilemma. Do you remember the episode when an alien blob binds with Peter Parker, and a black suited Spider Man emerges? Well, what will a Special Forces suit do for you? Personally, I like Superman, or Batman, they’re just guys.

The choice is yours, what are you going to do?

spottedmedic111
07-17-2011, 10:24
Every movement from religion to civil rights to conservation has a core of people trying to wrest power out of it. Human nature, that's all. Left unchecked, good intentions get twisted into something unwholesome. Vigilance and reason is our defense.

Religion isn't evil, people who pervert it are.

Go Devil
07-17-2011, 11:46
I had an quality, spiritual converstaion with some SGM's during a board at
1st SWTG that I mull over to this day.

"Seek your own salvation with fear and trembling."

JAH687
07-17-2011, 18:43
I posted something here, but later realized it was severely off topic and again filled the forum with unnecessarry background information about my life. This was something I tried hard to avoid a few posts back, and I realized my hypocrisy. Now this post stands as a permanent monument to my hypocrisy.

Richard
07-17-2011, 18:51
My ID tags had "TAC Air" embossed on them for the religious preference line for years until the Army told me I couldn't do that - I argued that TAC Air was always there for us when we needed them and I truly believed in them, but no dice - I then had "Christian" for a few years until I admitted to myself that that was a sham I wouldn't continue to help perpetuate - so then they said "No Preference" - still do.

Richard

sinjefe
07-17-2011, 19:10
I then had "Christian" for a few years until I admitted to myself that that was a sham I wouldn't continue to help perpetuate
Richard

You speak with such certainty. So, 2 billion people (+/-) are wrong and you are right? I am sure you can appreciate how Freudian that sounds.;)

alelks
07-17-2011, 19:24
You speak with such certainty. So, 2 billion people (+/-) are wrong and you are right? I am sure you can appreciate how Freudian that sounds.;)

I'm pretty sure what Richard is referring to is the fact that "Christian" doesn't explain/define his faith either thus the "Sham".

I could be wrong though as I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

Dusty
07-17-2011, 19:31
I like Freud Sham and eggs.

Tress
07-17-2011, 21:36
I used to kiss the Bridle Loop or Rip Cord (whichever was appropriate) of each and every parachute that successfully opened above me and briefly thanked no one in particular. Yet I relied solely on my training in the few times that they did not properly open and cursed a little afterwards. Just a tad enigmatic. :D

I was raised as a somewhat confused Catholic (mother) / Lutheran (father) but for a long time I my dog tags stated "Zen Buddhist" for religious preference, though that was more of a final act of defiance. If necessary I wanted the military to either get the Dahli Lama to me in my last moments or minimally make the chaplain think a little about what he was to say over me. :rolleyes:

By the way, if your stated intent is to "train for SF and make it to an A-team and you think that "working 50 hours per week and doing PT 5 days per week is difficult, you are in for one hell of a surprise. :lifter and more :lifter

Tress

Utah Bob
07-17-2011, 22:42
My ID tags had "TAC Air" embossed on them for the religious preference line for years until the Army told me I couldn't do that - I argued that TAC Air was always there for us when we needed them and I truly believed in them, but no dice - I then had "Christian" for a few years until I admitted to myself that that was a sham I wouldn't continue to help perpetuate - so then they said "No Preference" - still do.

Richard

I had Moslem put on mine just for the hell of it.
Didn't mean much 40 years ago. I figured it would have confused the hell out of any priest that tried to give me last rites though. Just hoped I was conscious enough to see his face.:D

cetheridge
07-18-2011, 01:24
You forgot what you asked for.
Originally Posted by JAH687 View Post

You asked about Religion and Spirituality. Faith is a different type of power all together, but the previous two require it.

I, like you JAH687, was a wrestler in high school (3 years). Went to college for a few years, but partied too much, dropped out and joined the Army. After a year in, I knew ("the force" calling?) that I had to go the path of SF. Spirituality or religion had nothing to do with my decision to join SF.

It was my faith in my physical and mental abilities that I would make it through SFTG (1968), to be one of the best, and I earned my Green Beret.

From the religious/spirituality aspect of your question, my upbringing had been geared toward Christianity, but college sort of skewed those beliefs. However, I still believed in a Supreme Being or God. Every time I was about to exit the aircraft, I would look up and say "please let this chute open correctly and give me a soft landing". Every jump the first request was granted, but the second one was not.

My dog tags originally had Christian, but the Army in its infinite wisdom decided that Christianity was not a bonafide religion and I had to have new tags that indicated Catholic, Jewish, or Protestant. Since I was neither of the first two and was not protesting anything, I had them stamped with "No Preference". This did not change my belief in God.

Life sometimes throws us curve balls or circumstances cause us to take side trails from the path we plan to travel toward our goal and we have to be flexible and adapt to the situation(s) while maintaining focus on that goal. While I did not make a career of SF, it was my SF experience that has taught me to think "outside the box", to have faith in my abilities and the abilities of my team members, and that mental attitude will help you overcome obstacles.

It is my belief in God and Jesus that has gotten me through the not so pleasant events in life. Whether or not one believes there is a God and an afterlife is a personal thing. I am a conservative. I believe that He is. Have I wasted my time thinking this way....I think not.

An atheist will say "there is no God and no afterlife". If this be true, then I am okay. Conversely, should there be an afterlife, then hopefully I am still okay, but the atheist is "going to be in deep doo doo". JMHO.

Not a day has gone by that I do not think about SF.

I, like Dusty, feel that "the reason I am still alive today is because his mission for me hasn't been completed".

Dozer523
07-18-2011, 02:00
when i got older and i started looking at myself and other things harder, i decided that it was not true. i do not believe in the existence of any supernatural world, or spirits or gods or devils. i believe that death is the end of existence altogether; i'll eat crow if i get there and i'm incorrect.. Great YOU decide what is true; and that everything religion is founded upon is false. So You make you God?
i do believe in right and wrong. not in a metaphysical sense, mind you. i just believe that there is always right thing to do and a wrong thing to do. and that you virtually always know what that is because if you know what you value in life, and you listen to your conscience, it is painfully obvious and you have to engage in self-deception to do other then what you ought to do. i don't pander to relativism because every action has consequences some of which are clearly preferable to others..I can't even begin to decipher this. What do you think is the source of good? right and wrong? what motivates a conscience?
do any of you QP's take exception to what i have said here? .. I do. just because your blind and stumbling around in the dark doesn't meant I have to get behind and follow you off the cliff.

I think you should take some humanities classes.

I questioned some of this stuff when I was less-fog. But as time went by and stuff happened I found my God, his promise, the formal rituals a great comfort. I sometimes think we forget that Jesus doesn't just save; he comforts. At one point in my weekly ritual I hold hands with a total stranger and recite the Lord's Prayer. I often feel as if God is holding my hand then. After all He can be anywhere anytime. I like believing that.

JAH687
07-18-2011, 05:31
By the way, if your stated intent is to "train for SF and make it to an A-team and you think that "working 50 hours per week and doing PT 5 days per week is difficult, you are in for one hell of a surprise. :lifter and more :lifter

I think you took it out of context a little. I said it was difficult (the difficulty is the customers more than the hours or work itself), but that I was by no means "pushed to the limit". And I'm sure I am in for a hell of a suprise when I reach the Q course, given that to date, I have served exactly 0 days in army. Please believe me that I am under no delusion that the SF motto has been recently changed to "To liberate the oppressed - but only from 9:30 - 6, 6 days a week"

JAH687
07-18-2011, 05:54
I think you took it out of context a little. I said it was difficult (the difficulty is the customers more than the hours or work itself), but that I was by no means "pushed to the limit". And I'm sure I am in for a hell of a suprise when I reach the Q course, given that to date, I have served exactly 0 days in army. Please believe me that I am under no delusion that the SF motto has been recently changed to "To liberate the oppressed - but only from 9:30 - 6, 6 days a week"

--But yet again, I am the culprit who is going on a tangent. Please ignore me and continue with the orginal purpose of the thread.

ZonieDiver
07-18-2011, 06:12
I posted something here, but later realized it was severely off topic and again filled the forum with unnecessarry background information about my life. This was something I tried hard to avoid a few posts back, and I realized my hypocrisy. Now this post stands as a permanent monument to my hypocrisy.

--But yet again, I am the culprit who is going on a tangent. Please ignore me and continue with the orginal purpose of the thread.

What's up with these?

Write, review, edit, review, re-edit, PAUSE, re-read, and finally re-write, edit, post, or delete. Don't clutter the board with a long-winded version of "Oops, I changed my mind."

1stindoor
07-18-2011, 06:26
What a fun and interesting read. My own views on religion and faith are already known on this board, but I'll add this little conversation to the mix between me and a former team sergeant many years ago.

The "gist" of what he said was that if you don't believe in something...you'll fall for anything. That your own faith or beliefs have to be well grounded or they'll sway to whatever direction the prevailing good idea fairie pushes them.

As for me, I chose to place my faith in Christ.

As I grew I've been a Catholic, a Presbyterian, a Baptist, and a Methodist. I don't put a lot of stock into what's on a door...but rather what's inside. Same with people, I don't put a lot of stock into what they say...but rather what they do.

JAH687
07-18-2011, 06:42
What's up with these?

Write, review, edit, review, re-edit, PAUSE, re-read, and finally re-write, edit, post, or delete. Don't clutter the board with a long-winded version of "Oops, I changed my mind."

I was looking for a "delete" button but couldn't find one. I am new to this forum, and was simply trying NOT to be a nuisance, but it appears I failed in my endeavor.

mark46th
07-18-2011, 15:57
A friend of mine in SEA for religion had "F-4" on his dog tags. He was also partial to naval gunfire from the Missouri or New Jersey...

wet dog
07-18-2011, 17:33
...but it appears I failed in my endeavor.

X 3.

Take a deep breath, relax, move on.

Exercise a little "faith", you'll be fine.

JAH687
07-18-2011, 18:22
X 3.

Take a deep breath, relax, move on.

Exercise a little "faith", you'll be fine.

I think now I appreciate your sense of humor more