Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-16-2011, 05:10   #1
JAH687
Asset

Religion

Hi guys, my name is Jordan (new on this forum) and I'm starting Army ROTC in August. Hopefully I'll one day get the opportunity to train for SF and make it to an a-team. But here's my question. I find myself now at a point in my life where I'm totally confused about my own religious beliefs and spirituality. I personally feel a strong force guiding me in my life that pushes me to work harder and always to try to do the right thing. But as a self-proclaimed man of science (my major is chemistry) and a former atheist, I find it hard to totally justify following any organized religion because I can't say that I agree totally with any of them. How has religion or spirituality effected your SF careers or your decision to join SF? I apologize if something like this has already been posted, I used the search button but could not find anything. If something already exists, please just redirect me and I'll be on my way. Thanks!
JAH687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:21   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

As with everywhere

As with everywhere and everyone - this subject covers the whole range left - right & up - down.

You may resolve this by talking with others.

But it does not become an issue unless you make it one.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:45   #3
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

It has provided me with targets on multiple occasions.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAH687 View Post
...my own religious beliefs and spirituality...
Exactly... you will determine what that IT is for you.

As Pete stated,
Quote:
this subject covers the whole range left - right & up - down.
Only advice: Don't confuse "religion" (doctrine and dogma) with "faith"

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05   #5
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

Many in SF are Christians, many are not. Leave others alone and they'll leave you alone, that's the best advice I can give.
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:33   #6
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Faith is important but not unless you know that having it not enough...........It's more important to know who your faith in, Jesus...............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:03   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Faith is important but not unless you know that having it not enough...........It's more important to know who your faith in, Jesus...............

Big Teddy
Roger that.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:22   #8
Dragbag036
Quiet Professional

Funny thing about faith

As the others above have stated, it is not religion or the other people who do or do not have it that is YOUR problem. It is what YOU have for yourself. Many SF Brotheren have THEIR OWN inner strength that keeps them going. In my experience, which is one of faith in the Almighty, after you do whatever you do or not do to your deity, the training, your mission, and your brothers take over. Respect for the Team Room is important. What makes SF auspicious is tolerance and knowing that you work with Professionals.

The struggle now going on for the world will never be decided by bombs or rockets, by armies or military might. The real crisis we face today is a spiritual one; at root, it is a test of moral will and faith.

RONALD REAGAN, speech for National Association of Evangelicals, March 8, 1983
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08   #9
wet dog

On a small brick wall, in an obscure portion of Ft. Bragg, NC -

In memory of our fallen team mates, who were men of vision, daring to be different. Men who had confidence in themselves, trusted their fate to God. They were men of courage, who earned and wore the Green Beret.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Special Forces Questions

If you are not an SF soldier feel free to "ask" questions.

Special Forces Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:28   #11
gits
Quiet Professional

Religion is a joke. Attending church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. If you accept and understand who Jesus is then you'll understand what you need to do. Churches have their place but if you are looking at the external things then you are missing the point if you don't know your own faith in Jesus.
gits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42   #12
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Be careful following anyone else's advice. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions. Other men don't have any more answers than you will find on your own. Steer clear of those who are insulting one way or the other.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:55   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gits View Post
Religion is a joke. Attending church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. If you accept and understand who Jesus is then you'll understand what you need to do. Churches have their place but if you are looking at the external things then you are missing the point if you don't know your own faith in Jesus.
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk like this could put the trillion dollar a year organized religious industry in jeopardy!!!!!!!!
Now be quiet else I slip you some kool-aid.......
Old 07-16-2011, 16:38   #14
JAH687
Asset

Thanks!

I appreciate all of your advice, and the diversity in your opinions! I'll certainly take some time to reflect on your comments and do some more thinking of my own.

I did find the general tendency towards personal faith over organized religion interesting though.

When filling out college applications, there was usually a question about religion where it would ask you whether you were one of a dozen or so common organized religions, then either atheist, agnotic, or "other. If 'other' please fill in the blank ___________". I just left the "___________" as a blank, but so begun my epic voyage to figure out what I believe in which continues to this very day and this very forum.

Thanks guys!
JAH687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 16:49   #15
albeham
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrazadereas View Post
if you guys were to sum up your experience of the culture in the SF, the people you work and communicate with everyday, what you say the prevailing religious thought is? realistically, do people get treated differently if they are not christian?

Wonder where he is going with this?