PDA

View Full Version : Dove Recipes

Air.177
09-01-2004, 13:33
OK, Today is Opening Day of Dove Season Around Here. Went out this morning and got 10 of the little guys. Anyone have any Recipes for Dove that have worked well for them? I usually take a half of a Jalapeno pepper and put it on the meat side of the breast and then wrap the whole deal in a piece of bacon. Let it sit in some Soy Sauce for a little while and then throw it on the grill. Looking to try something different this year, any Ideas?

echoes
09-01-2004, 18:07
Greetings Sir. I hope these might be tasty? :)

Braised Dove with Wild Rice

~ 10 dove breasts
~ 2/3 cup packaged wild rice
~ 1/2 lb mushrooms
~ 4 shallots or scallions, minced
~ 1 stalk celery, chopped
~ 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
~ juice of 1/2 lemon
~ 3 tbsp butter
~ 1/2 tsp tarragon
~ 1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
~ salt and pepper

Skin and clean dove breasts.Rub each breast with lemon juice, then salt and pepper to taste.

Saute' the shallots or scallions, celery, and mushrooms lightly in the butter.

Place rice on the bottom of a casserole dish. Lay in the dove breasts and add the rest of the ingredients.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 & 1/2 to 1 & 3/4 hours.

Serve and Enjoy!

Dove Enchiladas

8 Whole dove breasts; boned and coarsely chopped
3/4 c Onion; chopped
2 cl Garlic; minced
2 tb Vegetable oil
2 10-ounce cans enchilada sauce
8 Corn tortillas
2 tb + 2 tspns ripe olives, chopped
1 c (4 ounces) Cheddar cheese, shredded
Whole ripe olives

Saute dove, onion, nd garlic in oil until dove is browned; set aside.

Warm enchilada sauce in a skillet; remove from heat. Place tortillas, one at a time, in sauce. Let stand 1 minute or just until tortillas are softened. Set remaining sauce aside.

Spoon dove mixture evenly over each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon chopped olives and 1 tablespoon cheese.

Roll up tortillas, and place in a lightly greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish, seam side down.
Pour remaining sauce over tortillas; bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Top with remaining cheese, and bake an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with olives.

Serve and Enjoy!

Bill Harsey
09-01-2004, 20:28
Air.177, read Echoes great sounding recipe. She takes the feathers off, you guys ever tried that?

echoes
09-01-2004, 21:00
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Air.177, read Echoes great sounding recipe. She takes the feathers off, you guys ever tried that?

Oh my indeed! ;) Ya'll eat the feathers too? Oh Bill, we need to talk Sir. lol

Holly

Maas
09-15-2004, 21:42
Air,
Wrap with thick bacon. Then hit the grill.
We use Hickory BBQ sauce and dust 'em with crushed red peppers.

Air.177
09-17-2004, 11:02
MAAS - That has traditionally been the way we do things around here, with the addition of a slice of Jalapeno and no BBQ sauce. This time I ended up Soaking the "Nuggets" of meat that had been removed from the breast bone in some Olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, fresh cracked pepper, and Serendipity seasoned salt over night. I then sauteed them and threw in some chopped red onion and some fresh mushrooms. Then added some Cream of Mushroom Soup and some rice. Dove Breast & Rice, It wasn't bad.

Maas
09-20-2004, 20:36
Man, that sounded great. I'm going try some this weekend.