PDA

View Full Version : difference between active and guard

surferdood22d
02-01-2011, 17:35
For the past couple of days i have been trying to figure out what the difference is between being in special forces in the regular army and being SF in the National Guard. like if your an SF in the National Guard are you still a part time soldier or are you still full time and just with the Guard.

And do you still have the same chance of earning the SF tab going through the National Guard as you would the Army.

I really hope this isn't a dumb question, because it's been bothering me and i hope someone can ask me.

thank you.

lksteve
02-01-2011, 17:48
I really hope this isn't a dumb question, because it's been bothering me and i hope someone can ask me.Dumb...maybe not...but it has been asked before...try using the search button...

The Reaper
02-01-2011, 17:50
For the past couple of days i have been trying to figure out what the difference is between being in special forces in the regular army and being SF in the National Guard. like if your an SF in the National Guard are you still a part time soldier or are you still full time and just with the Guard.

And do you still have the same chance of earning the SF tab going through the National Guard as you would the Army.

I really hope this isn't a dumb question, because it's been bothering me and i hope someone can ask me.

thank you.

Have you met the Seach button in the upper right hand corner of the board or done much reading?

This is not a good question.

TR

ZonieDiver
02-01-2011, 18:10

thank you.

Besides familiarizing yourself with the search button, you should review the rules of capitalization. "I" is capitalized, no matter where it appears in a sentence. Refer to your profile and, perhaps, edit it. Your posts reflect YOU! Attention to detail is a hallmark of Special Forces. Start now.

surferdood22d
02-01-2011, 18:31
Have you met the Seach button in the upper right hand corner of the board or done much reading?

This is not a good question.

TR

Yes i did use the search button and I did not find any past post that answered my question and I have been reading the different links and post that are here.

The Reaper
02-01-2011, 19:17
Yes i did use the search button and I did not find any past post that answered my question and I have been reading the different links and post that are here.

How many hits did you get for "National Guard Active" search?

TR

Dozer523
02-01-2011, 23:05
There isn't any surfing in Florida, either.
SF Regular Army and SF NG are exactly the same in completely different way.

Surgicalcric
02-01-2011, 23:49
There isn't any surfing in Florida, either.
SF Regular Army and SF NG are exactly the same in completely different way.

Exactly...

Surferdood:

You need to do a lot more reading. The answers to the questions you posed are contained within the threads on this site. It is up to you to find them.

exsquid
02-02-2011, 04:31
AD = fit, professional, real soldiers. NG = fat, lazy, know nothings that dress up one weekend a month. That is the difference. Just ask the AD guys. :rolleyes:

x/S

Petelink
02-02-2011, 08:28
AD = fit, professional, real soldiers. NG = fat, lazy, know nothings that dress up one weekend a month. That is the difference. Just ask the AD guys. :rolleyes:

x/S

Eh, "dress up" is a stretch. :D

greentick
02-02-2011, 13:56

x/S

Reminds me of something I heard in the Q. "You can be a fat medic, just better be a fat medic that can run."

"You know the best thing about being fat.?.?. you don't have to worry about getting that way..."

Danimal18C
02-07-2011, 06:11
I like to think that Active Duty and Guard share the same mission, assets and quality of operators... While Active Duty serves just that... active duty, Guard guys get 28 days of leave every month that they can use to finish college and make 6 figures contracting. :D

JJ_BPK
02-07-2011, 06:19
Guard guys get 28 days of leave every month that they can use to finish college and make 6 figures contracting. :D

Don't forget the two(2) week Jamboree Camp each summer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamboree

:lifter:lifter:lifter

Dozer523
02-07-2011, 06:32
Guard wives and girlfriends are prettier.:D

JJ_BPK
02-07-2011, 06:46
EVERY Guard unit has at least one VFW or Legion within 100 ft of the Armory front door.. Making liquid lunch very accessible...

How do I know??

BTDT...

1stindoor
02-07-2011, 07:27
Guard wives and girlfriends are prettier.:D

And God willing...they never meet each other.

fullmetal
02-08-2011, 11:36
Not to add to an unnecessary post but I have a question along these lines, sorta.

I am national guard right now and when my contract ends I would like to go active duty and submit my packet for selection. The problem I am having is I am being told that right now there are only 8 MOS's being accepted to AD from prior service. Right now 11C's are being accepted (I hold both 11C and 11B) but from what I have been told over the last few months from many recruiters and every one else I have been able to speak with the list is always changing and they may not be for long. Well I have about 2 years left on my contract before I can even try to resign for AD. I was thinking about trying to go NG SF when I get back from the deployment I am trying to jump on in the fall but I dont really know how to go about it and from what I have read they like to look for people with prior active duty service.

I have read what I can on their missions, standards etc. and from what I can see they seem to run the same missions that AD SF run and the only real difference is that they have more off time during the week.

I guess my question is more of an opinion, should I hope that I can transfer to AD when my contract expires or is this a good path to follow. I have spent probably a week and a half searching posts along these lines and more then anything I am more confused now then when I started searching. I know that I want Special Forces and I know that I will be selected when I go to selection I am not cocky just to stubborn not to be.

Sorry for the long post I just couldn't think of a more precise way to phrase it.

The Reaper
02-08-2011, 12:01
I know that I want Special Forces and I know that I will be selected when I go to selection I am not cocky just to stubborn not to be.

No one goes expecting to fail, but most do.

Keep us posted on that.

TR

exsquid
02-08-2011, 22:59
Fullmetal,

Have you tried requesting a conditional release from PA?

x/S

wet dog
02-08-2011, 23:43
During many years of SF service, both AD and Guard, I often heard from others, "I just got and AGR SF job, Daddy is happy!!!".

Many QPs served back to back deployments, on many different ODAs. Had a buddy, CPL XXXXX, 18D, guard whore going thru college. E5/E6 came quickly, in time he became the Sr Med, then ANCOC/O&I, then a 18F. The team was D heavy since the WO was a former 18D as well as the Tm Sgt. That team as divers also, got some cherry ops. One year alone, (8) different deployments. Who says the Guard is just 2 days a month and 2 weeks a year. Now, if it were not for guard SF units, the AD guys would really be sucking for a day off.

I don't see it slowing down soon, nor in my life time ever ending. Looking back, kinda enjoyed a few years when no one was shooting at us.

God bless the young Jedi warriors who keep signing up, thanks boys. Get selected, get to an ODA. If not, us old guys (like jcook, big teddy, TR, Zoniediver and others), will be fighting bad guys in the streets of Omaha, St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, Chicago, Miami, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, etc.

Better yet, just get back safely and quick, I see it coming home to roost.

SFC Donnell
05-16-2011, 20:47
First of all, good luck.

I can not speak about the SF specific issues (I was not SF) but in general you will be treated poorly as a 'Guardsman by the Regular Army. The reason is both jealousy and power politics. (Money sent to the National Guard is seen as stolen from the Regulars.) :rolleyes:

If you want in go for it, apply! What is the worst that can happen? Maybe you will not make the cut, if not you will be no worse than if you never tried at all. If you make it through training and find yourself in a NG SF unit and activated then I recall being given the opportunity to stay in the Active Army bypassing several barriers.

As far as the RA not taking prior service, never take no for an answer, they told me no too, but I did get back in at age 42. They are recruiters, they will lie to you.

Robert

mattbuy
05-27-2011, 03:14
42 ehhh? How's that going?

SFC Donnell
06-29-2011, 13:58
I did a tour in Iraq and was able to keep up with the 19 & 20 year olds. It was not easy but I did it. I asked why they gave me a 203 and all the junk that goes with it the answer: they did not think that I could handle it, just wanted to see me fail.:eek:

They were kinda shocked when I could and did keep up.

Sept 11th offended me, I had already retired from the Louisiana National Guard, went back for 3 more Regular Army for 27 total.