Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 02-01-2011, 17:35   #1
surferdood22d
Asset

difference between active and guard

For the past couple of days i have been trying to figure out what the difference is between being in special forces in the regular army and being SF in the National Guard. like if your an SF in the National Guard are you still a part time soldier or are you still full time and just with the Guard.

And do you still have the same chance of earning the SF tab going through the National Guard as you would the Army.

I really hope this isn't a dumb question, because it's been bothering me and i hope someone can ask me.

thank you.
surferdood22d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 17:48   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdood22d View Post
I really hope this isn't a dumb question, because it's been bothering me and i hope someone can ask me.
Dumb...maybe not...but it has been asked before...try using the search button...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 17:50   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
For the past couple of days i have been trying to figure out what the difference is between being in special forces in the regular army and being SF in the National Guard. like if your an SF in the National Guard are you still a part time soldier or are you still full time and just with the Guard.

And do you still have the same chance of earning the SF tab going through the National Guard as you would the Army.

thank you.
Have you met the Seach button in the upper right hand corner of the board or done much reading?

This is not a good question.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 18:10   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:

thank you.
Besides familiarizing yourself with the search button, you should review the rules of capitalization. "I" is capitalized, no matter where it appears in a sentence. Refer to your profile and, perhaps, edit it. Your posts reflect YOU! Attention to detail is a hallmark of Special Forces. Start now.
Old 02-01-2011, 18:31   #5
surferdood22d
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Have you met the Seach button in the upper right hand corner of the board or done much reading?

This is not a good question.

TR
Yes i did use the search button and I did not find any past post that answered my question and I have been reading the different links and post that are here.

Last edited by surferdood22d; 02-01-2011 at 18:38.
surferdood22d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 19:17   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yes i did use the search button and I did not find any past post that answered my question and I have been reading the different links and post that are here.
How many hits did you get for "National Guard Active" search?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 23:05   #7
Dozer523
BANNED USER

There isn't any surfing in Florida, either.
SF Regular Army and SF NG are exactly the same in completely different way.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 23:49   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
There isn't any surfing in Florida, either.
SF Regular Army and SF NG are exactly the same in completely different way.
Exactly...

Surferdood:

You need to do a lot more reading. The answers to the questions you posed are contained within the threads on this site. It is up to you to find them.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31   #9
exsquid
Quiet Professional

AD = fit, professional, real soldiers. NG = fat, lazy, know nothings that dress up one weekend a month. That is the difference. Just ask the AD guys.

x/S
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28   #10
Petelink
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
AD = fit, professional, real soldiers. NG = fat, lazy, know nothings that dress up one weekend a month. That is the difference. Just ask the AD guys.

x/S
Eh, "dress up" is a stretch.
Petelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:56   #11
greentick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post

x/S
Reminds me of something I heard in the Q. "You can be a fat medic, just better be a fat medic that can run."

"You know the best thing about being fat.?.?. you don't have to worry about getting that way..."
Old 02-07-2011, 06:11   #12
Danimal18C
Quiet Professional

I like to think that Active Duty and Guard share the same mission, assets and quality of operators... While Active Duty serves just that... active duty, Guard guys get 28 days of leave every month that they can use to finish college and make 6 figures contracting.

"You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition." ~Col. Trautman
Danimal18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Guard guys get 28 days of leave every month that they can use to finish college and make 6 figures contracting.
Don't forget the two(2) week Jamboree Camp each summer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamboree

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:32   #14
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Guard wives and girlfriends are prettier.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46   #15
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
EVERY Guard unit has at least one VFW or Legion within 100 ft of the Armory front door.. Making liquid lunch very accessible...

How do I know??

BTDT...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote