PDA

View Full Version : Teach a man to fish so he may eat for the rest of his life.

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 12:56
A man comes to a fisherman because he and his family are hungry. He sees the fisherman eating some very tasty fish and asks "How did you catch those fish? They are so fast I can never catch them. Could you please spare some fish Sir? The fisherman says "I will spare you some fish and come and see me tomorrow and I will teach you how to catch fish." The man thanks the fisherman, goes home and shares the fish with his family. He even returned the next day and learns how to catch fish for himself. The man and the fisherman become friends.

- Let's analyze this story. The fisherman shares his fish with the man, teaches him how fish for himself and they become buddies. VERY UNWISE. To the man the fisherman is of much worth. the fisherman has food and knowledge of how to get food. The man has none. Now the man has food and knowledge of how to get food. What value is the fisherman to the man now? The only thing of value between them is friendship. Which is not of much value at all. If it were to come down to which family is going to eat that night because the supply of fish is low. How long will the friendship last. Now we have to men with equal power. Here is my philosophy on this parable.-

A man comes to a fisherman because he and his family are hungry. He sees the fisherman eating some very tasty fish and asks "How did you catch those fish? They are so fast I can never catch them." The fisherman sees the value in this man and decides to make an investment. The fisherman says "These fish are indeed very difficult to catch. I get up early in the morning and and stay out on the sea a long time. Here take some for you and your family." "thank your sir you are very generous."

The next day the man comes back and asks the fisherman for more fish. The fisherman says "If you want more of my fish you will have to do something for me. Every evening when I comes to shore I want you to clean my boat and fishing equipment. Once this is done to my standard I will give you three pieces of fish." The man agrees and promptly started to clean the fisherman's boat.

-This is much better. The fisherman is superior and has more power than this man. Why would the fisherman give away power by teaching the man how to fish? The fisherman simply catches the fish for the man in exchange for his labor. This keeps the superior fisherman in a position of power and the man in a state of dependence. The man has to depend on the fisherman to eat. So the man will want to stay in the fisherman's good graces and he is far less likely to betray the fisherman. So don't teach a the man to fish. Catch the fish for him then sell it to him for a hefty price.-

That was some philosophia de Decoy_Octopus, 21st century philosopher.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 13:04
You're not going to travel too far in your career. It might possibly be with an SF tab...but I doubt it with that attitude.

Maintain your feeling of superiority...it masks your insecurity quite well.

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 13:09
You're not going to travel too far in your career. It might possibly be with an SF tab...but I doubt it with that attitude.

Pardon me Sir but this is about security rather than superiority.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 13:09
So you're the future of my beloved regiment?

Let me unload some "philosophy de YOU'RE AN IDIOT."

I hope you carry this same attitude into your first team room. I suspect you'll get more than your "overvalued" sense of self worth handed to you.

As an SF Candidate, I would have thought you would have learned a little bit about being situationally aware....I guess not.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 13:12

What are you scared of? What security are you worrying about? Eventually, old age will come, the body will weaken, and unable to feed himself, or train a successor, the entire village will suffer.

x SF med
11-18-2010, 13:25
Interdependence and training your successor are much more powerful than the despotism you espouse. I believe you need to read a little more philosophy in order to understand the fallacy you spouted - almost directly from Machiavelli (The Prince) and Marx/Englels (Dictatorship of the Proletariat). Maybe you should be also reading some of Aaron Bank's essays, some Nick Rowe, maybe Jefferson, Kant, and John Stuart Mill....

Think about it.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 13:27
And another thing...because now I'm irritated...what about this post of yours?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=350088&postcount=17

That wasn't even 30 days ago.

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 13:29
What are you scared of? What security are you worrying about? Eventually, old age will come, the body will weaken, and unable to feed himself, or train a successor, the entire village will suffer.

Ingratitude. When people realize that they don't need you anymore, they forget what you did to help them. You may have their faint friendship but you don't have their loyalty. On the contrary when they depend on you have their loyalty.

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 13:33

That was a matter of Sf and military. I asked a foolish question. This post is just my philosophical view on the parable.

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 13:37
Interdependence and training your successor are much more powerful than the despotism you espouse. I believe you need to read a little more philosophy in order to understand the fallacy you spouted - almost directly from Machiavelli (The Prince) and Marx/Englels (Dictatorship of the Proletariat). Maybe you should be also reading some of Aaron Bank's essays, some Nick Rowe, maybe Jefferson, Kant, and John Stuart Mill....

Think about it.

As a successor I would choose a competent member of the family or a loyal member of the town. Not some strange beggar I just met.

wet dog
11-18-2010, 13:47

Brother, why did you have to bring me back into this? But since you have, thanks, now he has my attention as well.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 13:47
Ingratitude. When people realize that they don't need you anymore, they forget what you did to help them. You may have their faint friendship but you don't have their loyalty. On the contrary when they depend on you have their loyalty.

I'll stick with my original statement.

I'll enjoy watching your progress in Feb 2011.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 13:49
Brother, why did you have to bring me back into this? But since you have, thanks, now he has my attention as well.

Sorry, I was having a bad day and I let his arrogance and delusions of granduer get under my skin.

Peregrino
11-18-2010, 13:49
Obviously you've never encountered the resentment that eventually builds up in EVERY dependant relationship. Methinks you are going to have a very difficult time learning to be an SF Soldier. Our job (SF) is to work ourselves out of a job; sort of like the idealized parents work to ENABLE their children. It's not about you; it's about them and how you've influenced them to relate to you (the USA) in the future.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 13:55
Our job (SF) is to work ourselves out of a job; ...It's not about you; it's about them and how you've influenced them to relate to you (the USA) in the future.

Very well said.

wet dog
11-18-2010, 13:58

Let me use a different course, let's talk about money. It's a subject all are interested in, it provides comforts, aids the needy, feeds the hungry, etc.

"To live through an impossible situation, you don't need the reflexes of a Grand Prix driver, the muscles of a Hercules, the mind of an Einstein. You simply need to know what to do." --Anthony Greenbank

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." --Seneca

"The world is not to be put in order; the world is order, incarnate. It is for us to harmonize with this order." --Henry Miller

"If we do not know what port we're steering for, no wind is favorable." --Seneca

"There is a science of getting rich, and it is an exact science, like algebra or arithmetic. There are certain laws which govern the process of acquiring riches, and once these laws are learned and obeyed by anyone, that person will get rich with mathematical certainty." --Wallace D. Wattles

"The reality of life is that your perceptions - right or wrong - influence everything else you do. When you get a proper perspective of your perceptions, you may be surprised how many other things fall into place." --Roger Birkman

"Our life is what our thoughts make it." --Marcus Aelius Aurelius Antoninus (121-180), Roman emperor and Stoic philosopher.

"What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step." --Antoine De Saint-Exupery

"Vision is not enough unless combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps unless we also step up the stairs." --Vance Havner

"Nothing comes from doing nothing." --William Shakespeare

"To your subconscious mind the solutions to your problems of poverty is to become rich, but it is logically invalid for it to pursue this course of action if it has been told that it will make you a bad person." --Simon Hall

"To be ambitious for wealth and yet expecting to be poor; to be always doubting your ability to get what you long for, is like trying to reach east by traveling west. There is no philosophy which will help man to succeed when he is always doubting his ability to do so, and thus attracting failure." --Charles Bandouin

Another view of money, is a man who held onto a small pile of loose coin so tight, he risked not picking up loose dollars. Money is attracted to me, it flows to others by me, it is held loosly in my hands for my family and friends to obtain. My business partners always made money when doing business with me, I am free from the need for more money, yet it continues to arrive daily.

Please explain that? And explain it not in terms of money, but friendship, love, kindness, brotherhood and devotion to ideas and intent that elevate us to higher playing fields.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:06
I suspect our young padawan is trying to back out of the limelight.

wet dog
11-18-2010, 14:12
I suspect our young padawan is trying to back out of the limelight.

I want to change your user name from 1stindoor, to "Boot in Ass" - SGM

wet dog
11-18-2010, 14:15
"Speak when you're angry, and you'll give the best speech you'll ever regret".

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:16
Let me help...because that's what we do. I, and I think most of us that carry the QP tag, politely disagree with your thought process. But by all means please continue your philosophical rants when the mood strikes...it's cheap entertainment for me.

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 14:17
Let me use a different course, let's talk about money. It's a subject all are interested in, it provides comforts, aids the needy, feeds the hungry, etc.

"To live through an impossible situation, you don't need the reflexes of a Grand Prix driver, the muscles of a Hercules, the mind of an Einstein. You simply need to know what to do." --Anthony Greenbank

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." --Seneca

"The world is not to be put in order; the world is order, incarnate. It is for us to harmonize with this order." --Henry Miller

"If we do not know what port we're steering for, no wind is favorable." --Seneca

"There is a science of getting rich, and it is an exact science, like algebra or arithmetic. There are certain laws which govern the process of acquiring riches, and once these laws are learned and obeyed by anyone, that person will get rich with mathematical certainty." --Wallace D. Wattles

"The reality of life is that your perceptions - right or wrong - influence everything else you do. When you get a proper perspective of your perceptions, you may be surprised how many other things fall into place." --Roger Birkman

"Our life is what our thoughts make it." --Marcus Aelius Aurelius Antoninus (121-180), Roman emperor and Stoic philosopher.

"What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step." --Antoine De Saint-Exupery

"Vision is not enough unless combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps unless we also step up the stairs." --Vance Havner

"Nothing comes from doing nothing." --William Shakespeare

"To your subconscious mind the solutions to your problems of poverty is to become rich, but it is logically invalid for it to pursue this course of action if it has been told that it will make you a bad person." --Simon Hall

"To be ambitious for wealth and yet expecting to be poor; to be always doubting your ability to get what you long for, is like trying to reach east by traveling west. There is no philosophy which will help man to succeed when he is always doubting his ability to do so, and thus attracting failure." --Charles Bandouin

Another view of money, is a man who held onto a small pile of loose coin so tight, he risked not picking up loose dollars. Money is attracted to me, it flows to others by me, it is held loosly in my hands for my family and friends to obtain. My business partners always made money when doing business with me, I am free from the need for more money, yet it continues to arrive daily.

Please explain that? And explain it not in terms of money, but friendship, love, kindness, brotherhood and devotion to ideas and intent that elevate us to a higher playing fields.

If I had just taught the man how to fish I wouldn't have any money. Would I?

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:21

No...no you wouldn't...and sadly you've failed to grasp the analogy. Keep this in mind after Feb, you are always being tested, you are always being evaluated, your education will never end. Good luck to you in Selection.

PedOncoDoc
11-18-2010, 14:22

If you had food, shelter and a community that supported its members, what would you need the money for?

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 14:23
Let me help...because that's what we do. I, and I think most of us that carry the QP tag, politely disagree with your thought process. But by all means please continue your philosophical rants when the mood strikes...it's cheap entertainment for me.

I was not ranting and i am not angry. I am sharing some good philosophy. Look at it. The first way brought a little friendship which will fade when the man grows tired of you. The second way brought power, wealth, respect and even fear.

ZonieDiver
11-18-2010, 14:27
The second way brought power, wealth, respect and even fear.

... and someone the fisherman had better never, ever turn his back on!

"De Oppresso Liber" - ever hear of it?

wet dog
11-18-2010, 14:30
I was not ranting and i am not angry. I am sharing some good philosophy. Look at it. The first way brought a little friendship which will fade when the man grows tired of you. The second way brought power, wealth, respect and even fear.

Say's who?

"Good Philosphy", not likely, yours perhaps, but not anyone I know.

Here's one:

"Never miss an opportunity to shut up". - Will Rogers

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:31
... and someone the fisherman had better never, ever turn his back on!

"De Oppresso Liber" - ever hear of it?

Beat me to it!...De Oppresso Liber...now where have I heard this phrase before?

Was that "To free the coffee"...no that's De Espresso Liber.

ZonieDiver
11-18-2010, 14:33
*deleted due to duplication*

1stindoor
Here's one:

"Never miss an opportunity to shut up". - Will Rogers

Great!...I've just freed the coffee from my mouth to the keyboard.

Decoy...you're probably thinking you're getting ganged up on....this isn't the case, you're just getting a lesson in team room education...and it's free.

wet dog
"Even the fish could have stayed out of trouble if he had kept his mouth shut". - Jack Dale

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 14:38
If you had food, shelter and a community that supported its members, what would you need the money for?

I would use the money to build a bigger fishing enterprise. My wealth would put the community on the map. I would build a few schools a hospital. I would make rare appearances in the community to show the people that I have not forgotten about them. I may even declare myself King. And it all started because on made a wise decision on the day I decided to sell fish instead of give it away. Now the I am King and the community is flourishing with wealth and prosperity.

The Reaper
11-18-2010, 14:38

Ah, a possibly benevolent self-declared monarch.

Would you like a larger shovel?

TR

wet dog
11-18-2010, 14:40
Great!...I've just freed the coffee from my mouth to the keyboard.

Decoy...you're probably thinking you're getting ganged up on....this isn't the case, you're just getting a lesson in team room education...and it's free.

I had a company SGM who had a weight bench in his office. He easily pressed 250 lbs, repeatedly, many times, endlessly. If any ODA member in his company had a question or problem, one simply assumed the proper weight lifting position and held the 250 lbs, over his head, and he freely let you ask any question for as long as you liked.

It was called, "I have a question bench".

I always loved being on a good team.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:40

Perhaps instead of saying philosophical rants I should have said philosophical musings...anyhows...this is what interested me in your post:
friendship which will fade when the man grows tired of you
I'm guessing you don't have too many friends do you? I have friends that'll take a bullet for me...and have. Many on this site, not just the QPs, have those same friends.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:43
Ah, a possibly benevolent self-declared monarch.

Would you like a larger shovel?

TR

"They" say, "When you find yourself in a hole...you should stop digging."

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:46
I would use the money to build a bigger fishing enterprise. My wealth would put the community on the map. I would build a few schools a hospital. I would make rare appearances in the community to show the people that I have not forgotten about them. I may even declare myself King. And it all started because on made a wise decision on the day I decided to sell fish instead of give it away. Now the I am King and the community is flourishing with wealth and prosperity.

I'm in awe of your gratitude and humility. All hail the wise and benevolent king.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:51
For some strange reason I'm thinking of Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DENNIS: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior!
ARTHUR: Well, I AM king...
DENNIS: Oh king, eh, very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh? By
exploitin' the workers -- by 'angin' on to outdated imperialist dogma
which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our society!
If there's ever going to be any progress--
WOMAN: Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh -- how d'you do?
ARTHUR: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, King of the Britons.
Who's castle is that?
WOMAN: King of the who?
ARTHUR: The Britons.
WOMAN: Who are the Britons?
ARTHUR: Well, we all are. we're all Britons and I am your king.
WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous
collective.
DENNIS: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship.
A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
WOMAN: Oh there you go, bringing class into it again.
DENNIS: That's what it's all about if only people would--
ARTHUR: Please, please good people. I am in haste. Who lives
in that castle?
WOMAN: No one live there.
ARTHUR: Then who is your lord?
WOMAN: We don't have a lord.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take
it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.
ARTHUR: Yes.
DENNIS: But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified
at a special biweekly meeting.
ARTHUR: Yes, I see.
DENNIS: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,--
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--
ARTHUR: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
ARTHUR: I am your king!
WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.
WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,
[angels sing]
her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur
from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I,
Arthur, was to carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is why I am your king!
DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords
is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power
derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical
aquatic ceremony.
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power
just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just
because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd
put me away!
ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that,
eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me,
you saw it didn't you?

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause you decided to go fishing.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 14:58
Maybe this is just a generational "gap" thing. If there's any other candidates out there that have already completed their selection course and are in the SFQC, please feel free to chime in on this discussion.

wet dog
11-18-2010, 14:58
I still want him to answer my first question:

Please explain that? And explain it not in terms of money, but friendship, love, kindness, brotherhood and devotion to ideas and intent that elevate us to higher playing fields.

Jack Dale
11-18-2010, 14:59
There's wisdom in the Python's rants. It reminds me that a leader (king) with no followers (people who'd rather go fishing than follow a fish hog) is just a lonely guy on a walk

wet dog
11-18-2010, 15:03
There's wisdom in the Python's rants. It reminds me that a leader (king) with no followers (people who'd rather go fishing than follow a fish hog) is just a lonely guy on a walk

...do you have an open bottle of Jameson handy? ZonieDiver is also on board this evening, this might make for some light hearted conversation.

Noticed 1stindoor is now referencing Monty Python, that's dating him, shit, it dates all of us.

Where's the kid?

ZonieDiver
11-18-2010, 15:05
The "kid" is, hopefully, re-thinking his philosophy. (Though I am obeying the first rule of scuba diving and not holding my breath...)

No Jameson for me until my classes are over, and they are 40 minutes from starting!

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 15:07
...Where's the kid?

Good question...why are we carrying his thread?

wet dog
11-18-2010, 15:08
I hope he answers my first question soon, I wait in the blind, quietly.

RockSolid
11-18-2010, 15:12
I'm simply still stationed at Fort Living Room (Ship 2011.04.27)

But I can tell you:

His post is hysterical.

Hes cynical. I suspect he needs a shoulder to cry on.

Hes going to have a serious problem with teaching, if hes trying to gain some kind of wealth, power or fear out of it. Teaching at its simplest form is one of the most giving things you can do.

Even his analytical argument, that's hes going to get rich and build schools off of some guy cleaning his boat is a fantasy.

This whole post reminds me of quote a great man once said....

"I fart in your general direction"

P.S. Im not old, but I was raised right. I can quote the classics :)

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 15:21
I still want him to answer my first question:

You won't make big bucks if you rely on friendship and love. I don't have tea with my competitors I destroy them. If I can't destroy them. I invite over for tea, not because I like them. I invite them over for tea to learn how to destroy them. I do not sell the man fish because he was charismatic and charming. I sold him fish to make money.

wet dog
11-18-2010, 15:26
You won't make big bucks if you rely on friendship and love. I don't have tea with my competitors I destroy them. If I can't destroy them. I invite over for tea, not because I like them. I invite them over for tea to learn how to destroy them. I do not sell the man fish because he was charismatic and charming. I sold him fish to make money.

If I'm a McDonald's manager, should I be concerned with Burger King moving in accross the street?

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 15:26

And on that note...I'll let others take over trying to show you the error of your ways. It's obvious to me you're not listening and have no depth of character. But hey, you're 22...you're allowed to be shallow and self serving.

PSM
11-18-2010, 15:27

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause you decided to go fishing.

This is more fun than reading it: "I'm your king!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI)

Pat

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 15:27
I'm simply still stationed at Fort Living Room (Ship 2011.04.27)

But I can tell you:

His post is hysterical.

Hes cynical. I suspect he needs a shoulder to cry on.

Hes going to have a serious problem with teaching, if hes trying to gain some kind of wealth, power or fear out of it. Teaching at its simplest form is one of the most giving things you can do.

Even his analytical argument, that's hes going to get rich and build schools off of some guy cleaning his boat is a fantasy.

This whole post reminds me of quote a great man once said....

"I fart in your general direction"

P.S. Im not old, but I was raised right. I can quote the classics :)

And that is why no one will remember your name.

Even a stable boy can become King. It has happened.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 15:32
This is more fun than reading it: "I'm your king!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI)

Pat

Yeah I know, but I can't do youtube at work.

wet dog
11-18-2010, 15:33

I'm betting most will remember "RockSolid" and his humility.

Has anyone heard from Team Sergeant today?

That's my subtle way of saying "Lift and Shift fire", be ready, Yoda is arriving to the temple soon.

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 15:34
And that is why no one will remember your name...

Tell ya what sport...Give me your name and I'll ensure everyone remembers it in a couple of months.

PedOncoDoc
11-18-2010, 15:34
But hey, you're 22...you're allowed to be shallow and self serving.

What...no pink text on this one?!

The Reaper
11-18-2010, 15:37

It is rare that someone screws up this momentously and does not realize it.

Your peers will love you during your graded performances, and theirs.

Probably should make your above case with the psychs as well, I am sure that they will be looking forward to speaking with you.

TR

1stindoor
11-18-2010, 15:38
What...no pink text on this one?!

Good catch...I'll fix it.

Jack Dale
11-18-2010, 15:38

Okay, several things have become blindingly clear: one is that you have read Sun Tzu with a complete lack of understanding of the subtleties of the text. Another is that you've never really been in business. Fighting competitors is silly, especially when you can co-opt them, partner with them, and build markets with them to everybody's benefit.

Either you're really as dense as you portray yourself, or, you're baiting the thread to provoke response. Both are inherently dangerous. Manage your market, be generous and honorable, respect your competitors and come to their aid in a crisis, and you'll suddenly find yourself a leader. Try to destroy them, and you'll find yourself nothing more than a target.

Now, look up to the top of your screen.

Read the name of this website.

Think about whether or not you really want to be a target in this company.

Put the shovel down.

wet dog
11-18-2010, 15:41
Well said Jack, I think this tread is now dead, or at least until Team Sergeant shows up.

RockSolid
11-18-2010, 15:44
Make sure to look me up when you get all rich and famous like. :)

Ill be here just cleaning some stalls....

Or I might be doing what you tried to do, and failed.

Ill do some pushups in your honor today.

End of Communication in this thread

-RS Out

Decoy_Octopus
11-18-2010, 15:53
Okay, several things have become blindingly clear: one is that you have read Sun Tzu with a complete lack of understanding of the subtleties of the text. Another is that you've never really been in business. Fighting competitors is silly, especially when you can co-opt them, partner with them, and build markets with them to everybody's benefit.

Either you're really as dense as you portray yourself, or, you're baiting the thread to provoke response. Both are inherently dangerous. Manage your market, be generous and honorable, respect your competitors and come to their aid in a crisis, and you'll suddenly find yourself a leader. Try to destroy them, and you'll find yourself nothing more than a target.

Now, look up to the top of your screen.

Read the name of this website.

Think about whether or not you really want to be a target in this company.

Put the shovel down.

You go to your enemies aid because It increases your power. I'm not making myself a target here. I got some great advice from a QP here. He said "
You would do well to involve yourself with men of greater depth than Cena...if in fact you do desire to make it to an ODA."

And I have. I may learn from Sun Tzu and Louis XIV, but the man with the greatest depth is myself.

PedOncoDoc
11-18-2010, 15:58
And I have. I may learn from Sun Tzu and Louis XIV, but the man with the greatest depth is myself.

Only from the hole you are now standing in.

With all due respect, you use the term "man" very loosely, especially in comparison to those for whom this forum is named.

Perhaps you should change your screen name to "The Fisher King" given this thread. :D

JJ_BPK
11-18-2010, 15:58
I think I see the train a com'ng...

:munchin

The Reaper
11-18-2010, 16:04
You go to your enemies aid because It increases your power. I'm not making myself a target here. I got some great advice from a QP here. He said "
You would do well to involve yourself with men of greater depth than Cena...if in fact you do desire to make it to an ODA."

I find your undeserved arrogance, hubris, and self-centeredness intolerable and wish you good luck in your journey.

You have been measured here, and been found wanting. Again. Several QPs have apparently wasted their valuable time trying to assist you. Again.

IMHO, you do not have a future in SF. Or pretty much any interaction involving fellow humans unless you get your attitude changed. And someone will, eventually, trust me. Maybe you should consider your parable from the position of the fellow with a starving family and no fish.

Goodbye, and have a very SF day. We are weary of trying to fill such an empty vessel.

TR

Jack Dale
11-18-2010, 16:05

Sure, sonny. Good luck.

spherojon
11-18-2010, 17:05
ROFL I really needed this laugh today. Trying to be philosopher without even understanding what your mind or the world that surrounds you is like being an blind painter.

So I read some of your posts to for entertainment and to let my mind and heart have a break, and boy did you not disappoint. Lets all take a look at the gems this retard gave us for a great laugh.

Quote of the day
F*ck a day off I'm moving heavy for the payoff.

-John Cena
Quoting a WWE guy...Living in a fantasy. Ha thats the IQ we are dealing with.

How fast do you guys run six miles
Again, proves his complete lack of intelligence. Ignorant and cant figure it out for himself or where to look...bad combination for life. Clearly never got the message to Garcia.

On the GET SELECTED
My buddy just got selected and he never read this book. My copy should be here tomorrow. It better not be information I already know.
The arrogance ROFL Hes going to be in a world of hurt. Remember, this is the same guy that rucks with his duffel bag, yet this book is full of information he already knows.

This is a great learning and laughing tool. Thanks Guru and Philosopher Tequila.

Surgicalcric
11-18-2010, 17:46
..I got some great advice from a QP here. He said "You would do well to involve yourself with men of greater depth than Cena...if in fact you do desire to make it to an ODA."

I see you couldnt even see past your own self inflated image to pick up on the advice I gave you in the above or when I told you, "shut the fuck up and read; you are tap dancing on your crank."

When you pass your name, thru email since you are on the outside looking in, to the SGM be sure and send it to me as well. I will be sure you don't burden my Brothers at SFAS with having to drop you...

Crip

Masochist
11-18-2010, 18:42
Just Googled "Decoy Octopus" for the hell of it. Turns out it's the name of a character in Metal Gear, a video game. :rolleyes:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Decoy_Octopus

Having started his venture as Tequila and ending very quickly as Decoy_Octopus, this might explain a little more of his mindset. :mad:

rdret1
11-18-2010, 19:45
I wish I had found this thread earlier today. I don't think I have laughed so much at one thread in a while. This one had everything! From the undaunted imagination of a future self imposed king to some great Monty Python quotes! Holy Crap!

wet dog
11-18-2010, 19:48
I wish I had found this thread earlier today. I don't think I have laughed so much at one thread in a while. This one had everything! From the undaunted imagination of a future self imposed king to some great Monty Python quotes! Holy Crap!

We had some fun today, sorry you missed it.

ZonieDiver
11-18-2010, 20:00
I wish I could say I'm going to miss that kid, but I cannot.

He reminds me of a line from "Take the Money and Run" in which the father of a woman is described thusly: "He had a brilliant military career, skyrocketing to the rank of corporal."

I doubt "tequila/Decoy_Octopus" will ever make corporal, let alone SFAS.

x SF med
11-18-2010, 20:04
Funny, the kid didn't even quote Conan the Barbarian... just guerrilla marketing. Sad case, he'll flunk the psych eval - megalomania is a disqualifier, as is egomania...

Hmmmm.... I questioned his psychological steadfastness while he was still monikered 'tequila' and spouting about rucking with a carboard stiffened duffel bag.

C'est domage.
Au revoir.

Peregrino
11-18-2010, 20:30
I'm impressed. 70 replies in seven hours. Everyone loves to rubberneck at the scene of the crash. :D

It's a good thing DO is DOA. SF is no longer growing. Let me say that once more - SF is no longer growing. The guys who just passed SFAS are the last ones needed to meet the Regiment's growth requirements. By the time they graduate SFQC the Regiment will be full - no more 700 graduates per year needed/wanted. Sustainment will only require 450 +/- per year. Guess what happens to standards when there are more applicants than openings? I expect that within 4 - 6 months SFAS will be producing half the current number of selectees. 18X will probably be reduced/eliminated at about the same time. Mother Army will appreciate the influx of better than average soldiers who couldn't meet SF standards (but still exceed the general population's standards simply for having tried).

I was out at Mackall yesterday to sit in on the student's Intro to UW classes and had the pleasure/privilege of conversing with the Company Commander of D/1-1st SWTG. We sat in the back of the classroom and I listened as he explained some of the changes in philosophy and instructional methods. (His SGM only glared at us a couple of times!) We talked extensively about UW and the future; one of the topics was "what does a good UW expert look like?" Another was "how do we get from a generation of kinetic to the next generation of "by, with, and through"?" (Nothing against you "kinetic" guys :p, it's just that the world is changing and we're going to have to stay ahead of it if we want to continue doing "The Nation's Work".)

Guys are being relieved from the SFQC, even as late as Robin Sage, because they "don't get it". It's not about us. It's about them. The indig. If you want to be an SF Soldier you need to ask yourself some basic questions. Can you spend a career in 3rd World shitholes where you won't even get a CIB while an Infantry Private in the RR gets the "glory"? Can you elevate your counterpart to a point where he is combat effective against his enemy? One that won't make the evening news in the States? Can you spend months training him on 7-8 (or whatever it is now) and then advise him as he supports conventional US forces in routine operations? How about two SF Soldiers with a platoon of indig holding a blocking position while US leg infantry are doing a movement to contact? Teaching basic training to conscripts, cycle after cycle, because your job is to work yourself out of a job? Not everybody gets to train the HN National CT Force. How about when you have to do the job but the ROE won't let you accompany them on operations? How about spending six months (or more) in a classroom learning a language less than .005% of the world speaks - while all of your buddies from basic are on their second combat tour? If you don't know the answers to these questions - and a whole lot more just like them - you might want to reconsider your career choices before you consume valuable resources better spent on someone who can make the grade.

I almost forgot - check out VSO. It's the wave of the future - and most of the questions I asked in the previous paragraph apply in spades. If the gratitude of the indig isn't sufficient recognition, you're trying to get into the wrong line of work.

My .02 - one that's supported by most of my peer group.

PSM
11-18-2010, 20:50
I'm impressed. 70 replies in seven hours. Everyone loves to rubberneck at the scene of the crash. :D

It's a good thing DO is DOA. SF is no longer growing. Let me say that once more - SF is no longer growing. The guys who just passed SFAS are the last ones needed to meet the Regiment's growth requirements. By the time they graduate SFQC the Regiment will be full - no more 700 graduates per year needed/wanted. Sustainment will only require 450 +/- per year. Guess what happens to standards when there are more applicants than openings? I expect that within 4 - 6 months SFAS will be producing half the current number of selectees. 18X will probably be reduced/eliminated at about the same time. Mother Army will appreciate the influx of better than average soldiers who couldn't meet SF standards (but still exceed the general population's standards simply for having tried).

I was out at Mackall yesterday to sit in on the student's Intro to UW classes and had the pleasure/privilege of conversing with the Company Commander of D/1-1st SWTG. We sat in the back of the classroom and I listened as he explained some of the changes in philosophy and instructional methods. (His SGM only glared at us a couple of times!) We talked extensively about UW and the future; one of the topics was "what does a good UW expert look like?" Another was "how do we get from a generation of kinetic to the next generation of "by, with, and through"?" (Nothing against you "kinetic" guys :p, it's just that the world is changing and we're going to have to stay ahead of it if we want to continue doing "The Nation's Work".)

Guys are being relieved from the SFQC, even as late as Robin Sage, because they "don't get it". It's not about us. It's about them. The indig. If you want to be an SF Soldier you need to ask yourself some basic questions. Can you spend a career in 3rd World shitholes where you won't even get a CIB while an Infantry Private in the RR gets the "glory"? Can you elevate your counterpart to a point where he is combat effective against his enemy? One that won't make the evening news in the States? Can you spend months training him on 7-8 (or whatever it is now) and then advise him as he supports conventional US forces in routine operations? How about two SF Soldiers with a platoon of indig holding a blocking position while US leg infantry are doing a movement to contact? Teaching basic training to conscripts, cycle after cycle, because your job is to work yourself out of a job? Not everybody gets to train the HN National CT Force. How about when you have to do the job but the ROE won't let you accompany them on operations? How about spending six months (or more) in a classroom learning a language less than .005% of the world speaks - while all of your buddies from basic are on their second combat tour? If you don't know the answers to these questions - and a whole lot more just like them - you might want to reconsider your career choices before you consume valuable resources better spent on someone who can make the grade.

I almost forgot - check out VSO. It's the wave of the future - and most of the questions I asked in the previous paragraph apply in spades. If the gratitude of the indig isn't sufficient recognition, you're trying to get into the wrong line of work.

My .02 - one that's supported by most of my peer group.

Wow, I have to thank Decoy Pussy for eliciting that response!

Pat

Guy
11-18-2010, 23:48
It's not about you; it's about them and how you've influenced them to relate to you (the USA) in the future.:cool:

Stay safe.

Buffalobob
11-19-2010, 06:14
18X will probably be reduced/eliminated at about the same time.

That is the rumor that came home last week.

Dozer523
11-19-2010, 06:52

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause you decided to go fishing.This is more fun than reading it: "I'm your king!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI)

Pat
Defiling Monty Python, SOB! That's it. Damn!! Is NOTHING sacred?

Pete
11-19-2010, 07:09
Briefing before the Land Nav Test.

".....You must return here with a shrubbery or else you will never pass......."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8

Dozer523
11-19-2010, 09:17
Briefing before the Land Nav Test.

".....You must return here with a shrubbery or else you will never pass......."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8 I'll turn you into a newt! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8DIg3oHFI Note the Split Team at the beginning being led by the Tech.

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk&NR=1just because it's my favorite part.

1stindoor
11-19-2010, 09:17
This is what happens when I go home in the afternoon and don't log back on until the following morning.

I hope we were able to convince the non-participating onlooker to seriously consider the reality of our work. I agree with Peregrino with regards to the kinetic generation. Eventually, we will get back to deploying for months at a time with no press, no awards, etc.

1stindoor
11-19-2010, 09:20
I'll turn you into a newt!

What is your name?................................Decoy_Octopus
What is your quest?................................I seek the SFQC
What is your favorite color?.....................Blue; no green

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

x SF med
11-19-2010, 09:39
It's just a little Bunny....
Oh, nah, it's a wee vicious beastie, Evil, Mean... and.... It's got Fangs!

Why do I think this is a good description of my SF Brothers?

Dozer523
11-19-2010, 12:13

Why do I think this is a good description of my SF Brothers? Cross pollinating from the woobie thread?:p WE love you man. You may be a troll but you'll always be OUR troll.:D

timewilltell
11-19-2010, 13:15
Thank God I am not going to be around this guy when I ship, I would fail from laughing so much when he is getting his ass busted by the DI when he is trying to prove his supremacy.

Richard
11-19-2010, 13:27
Thank God I am not going to be around this guy when I ship, I would fail from laughing so much when he is getting his ass busted by the DI...

And I hope no innocent bystander finds himself within the bursting radius of the explosion from the a$$ chewing you'll recieve if you ever refer to a Drill Sergeant as a DI. :eek: :D

FYI - DI is a Marine and not an Army term.

Richard :munchin

1stindoor
11-19-2010, 13:38
Just remind him to ask his Drill Sergeant if those brown rounds come in a man's size?

timewilltell
11-19-2010, 13:56
And I hope no innocent bystander finds himself within the bursting radius of the explosion from the a$$ chewing you'll recieve if you ever refer to a Drill Sergeant as a DI. :eek: :D

FYI - DI is a Marine and not an Army term.

Richard :munchin

Thank you for the heads up Sir.

Nightfall
11-19-2010, 14:00
I'll turn you into a newt!

I got better! :)

rdret1
11-20-2010, 01:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690

Some people just never learn.

nmap
11-20-2010, 09:53
Not meaning to poke hornet's nests....but this is truly an educational thread. Reading some of the QP comments is, IMO, illuminating. 1stindoor's comment about friends is worth considerable reflection.

x SF med
11-20-2010, 10:55

Why do I think this is a good description of my SF Brothers?

Cross pollinating from the woobie thread?:p WE love you man. You may be a troll but you'll always be OUR troll.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Just for you Dozer... :D Oh, Troll, not troll.... always capitalize Troll in reference to me, for I am all powerful, rich, egotistical, and dominate my village through control of the fishing industry! Oh, and I gots my beret and tab....:rolleyes:

Dozer523
11-20-2010, 20:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Just for you Dozer... :D All hail the Troll!