PDA

View Full Version : ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor

Ambush Master
10-16-2010, 08:43
Is it a good idea to use a service like this to "Update" your Drivers and Manage your system??

Paslode
10-16-2010, 09:13
It would bother me that when selecting 'Purchase' you get a screen requesting personal information and no mention of a purchase price.

I am by no means a PC expert, but my experience with these type of tools is that don't perform as expected. And on a few occasion's getting the software off my PC was a real PITA.

dr. mabuse
10-16-2010, 09:24
Registry Mechanic is all I've ever used. Easy to remove, doesn't "fix" or clean out too much, easy to use. No funny business when purchasing. Doesn't manage drivers yet it's a great cleaner.

IMHO, very highly recommended. ;)

JJ_BPK
10-16-2010, 09:34
Is it a good idea to use a service like this to "Update" your Drivers and Manage your system??

I use MS WIN update in manual mode. I read most all the briefs on the update to see what is effected by the change.

It's a bit geeky, but if there is a problem after the installation, I can guess what the cause may be.

My avg, FoxFire, and several other security pgms have their own update process. Some are auto-daily while others will only check when used.

I use Ad-Aware and Spy-bot SD to alert when ANYONE tries to change ANYTHING in the register.

If you subscribe to a service to do updates, you have given the service pertinent data on your system configuration. Bad Bad Bad...

Net-Net,, I do not like any AUTO anything.. But them I have been in the geek business for 43 years...

For the non-geeks, I advise getting apple. Which are now all make in china with chinese designed & made wifi chips that send data to who-ever,, on your dime..

:D

dr. mabuse
10-16-2010, 20:12
Net-Net,, I do not like any AUTO anything.. But them I have been in the geek business for 43 years...

:D

Superb advice.

Wish I didn't learn about this the hard way in the old days ( Auto Win update for example ).

perdurabo
11-05-2010, 15:36

No. Use Windows Update, Microsoft Update (You enable it and it "becomes" a "part" of Windows update. Updates Office and whatnot), and Microsoft Security Essentials (which is a top-ranked, free antivirus/antimalware package from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/)

Many of these 3rd party cleaner programs end up doing more harm than good.

Irishsquid
03-25-2011, 14:30
No. Use Windows Update, Microsoft Update (You enable it and it "becomes" a "part" of Windows update. Updates Office and whatnot), and Microsoft Security Essentials (which is a top-ranked, free antivirus/antimalware package from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/)

Many of these 3rd party cleaner programs end up doing more harm than good.

Agreed. If you are looking for driver updates and such, just directly download them from the manufacturer's website. I'd never trust a piece of software to do these things for me. Even if it's a reputable company, it's still another piece of software, with its own vulnerabilities, and I don't see how that can be a good thing.