PDA

View Full Version : Adrenal gland masses

Gypsy
09-20-2010, 17:26
Let me preface by stating I am consulting with a surgeon on Thursday.

That said...back in June I went to the hospital one day in severe pain, extreme nausea, vomiting and all other kinds of fun stuff. No idea what was wrong with me, but the ER doc suspected a kidney stone.

CT confirms it's indeed a stone and it's trying to pass (1" in diameter, after a failed lithotripsy it actually had to be surgically removed a couple of weeks ago.)

When the ER doc confirms his initial diagnosis I get the..."oh by the way did you know you have tumors on your adrenal glands?" Uhhh hmmm why no, I didn't. No idea how long I've had them...but there they are.

So I've had the tests, boy collecting urine for 24 hours is such a blast! :rolleyes: Good news is the tumors are "inactive" (non-cancerous) but one is 4.0 cm, the other is 1.3 cm. Consensus amongst doctor/urologist is the 4.0 cm mass should be removed, probably by scope, sooner than later and thus the consult with the surgeon on Thursday. It seems once they get close to a 6.0 size they can become "active" (cancerous)

My question...has anyone gone through this type of surgery? While I realize everyone is different, just kind of curious on experiences and what could be an approximate recovery time...

Thanks in advance.

swatsurgeon
09-20-2010, 19:47
Having done the surgery, if they can complete it laparoscopically, it's realativiely "easy" on you and the surgeon and you are feeling good quickly. 3 to 4 little port holes and a small incision to remove the mass and you're out of the hospital generally within 24 hr post operatively.
Best of luck and make sure the surgeon has a track record of doing these laparoscopically....ask about major complication rates, % converted to open and why, etc. If they do 1 or less a month or so, find another surgeon, you would prefer someone who does these routinely just like for any other procedure, not that they are a weekly event except in some of the major university centers.

ss

Gypsy
09-20-2010, 20:44
Thank you SS, from what I understand he's performed many of these surgeries laparoscopically and was highly recommended by 2 different doctors, but I will definitely ask these questions. I appreciate your response.

Ambush Master
09-20-2010, 21:13
G!!

Thoughts and Prayes are out for'ya!!

Take care Lady, and keep us Posted!!

Later
Martin

Sdiver
09-20-2010, 21:40
G!!

Thoughts and Prayes are out for'ya!!

Take care Lady, and keep us Posted!!

Later
Martin

L (aka MSCP),

I second what Martin says.

You had best be tellin' us, where WE need to be sending cookies off to, for your speedy recovery. ;)

:lifter :lifter :lifter

Red Flag 1
09-21-2010, 10:23
edit

Gypsy
09-21-2010, 17:05
Thanks gents! I will post after I see the surgeon. My fervent prayer is that the scope option is the way he'll go.

Sooo... what are your favorite cookies?

RF 1

You had best be tellin' us, where WE need to be sending cookies off to, for your speedy recovery. ;)

LOL...awww! Hmmm shortbread or chocolate chips. Or both. :D

The Reaper
09-21-2010, 17:35
I hope it works out the way you want it to and you get well soon.

Best wishes.

TR

Gypsy
09-21-2010, 17:41
Thanks, TR. Much appreciated.

Gypsy
09-23-2010, 16:19
H
Best of luck and make sure the surgeon has a track record of doing these laparoscopically....ask about major complication rates, % converted to open and why, etc. If they do 1 or less a month or so, find another surgeon, you would prefer someone who does these routinely just like for any other procedure, not that they are a weekly event except in some of the major university centers.

ss

ss, thanks again. Met with the surgeon today, felt really good about our conversation, his record and the actual procedure/risks etc. He said I should be good to go for the scope, sees no problems at this time. I'm confident I have the right surgeon and will have it done 4 Oct.

JJ_BPK
09-23-2010, 17:08
Good Luck,, God Bless..

Gypsy
10-06-2010, 14:53
Thanks for all the well wishes and PMs. I had the surgery on Monday, and it was laproscopic as hoped. All I can say is I will never take my stomach muscles for granted again. :eek: But it seems to be getting better bit by bit, resting this week hopefully will get me back to normal soon.

Too bad no one listened to me when I told them I seem to be allergic to various surgical tapes, I have some big hives on my neck (they inserted a central line and sutured, stapled AND taped it...OMG) and also on my tummy to hold the gauze in place over the points of insertion.

Thankfully half doses of the pain med is keeping me relatively comfortable and not too zombie-like. I save the full dosage for bedtime. :D

JJ_BPK
10-06-2010, 15:41
Glad to hear all is all,,
Be safe,,
Wishes & Kisses..

swatsurgeon
10-06-2010, 15:41
excellent news.....mending is so delightful but certainly better than the alternative of recovering from a complication.
Laparoscopy....kind of feels like getting stabbed! Oh, that's exactly what it is, so now you have a great story to tell at a party that you survived 4 stab wounds!!
Welcome back, let your body guide the recovery and listen to all of that really smart surgical advice your surgeon tells you.....LOL

ss

LibraryLady
10-07-2010, 10:49
Take care of yourself and the best recovery position for scopes is lying down in a bed. I know I didn't the first time around - baaaad idea.

Let us know if you need anything! Though I'm not too sure a belly laugh is what is prescribed right now... :p

LL

Gypsy
10-07-2010, 15:02
excellent news.....mending is so delightful but certainly better than the alternative of recovering from a complication.
Laparoscopy....kind of feels like getting stabbed! Oh, that's exactly what it is, so now you have a great story to tell at a party that you survived 4 stab wounds!!
Welcome back, let your body guide the recovery and listen to all of that really smart surgical advice your surgeon tells you.....LOL

ss

LOL...yeah that's it, I have a story...I got stabbed. :D It feels like I did about 1 million stomach crunches. But I have 5 wounds, not 4. Not sure why. I do plan to lay low the rest of the week and possibly the beginning of next. Taking it day by day, but I'm enjoying all the extra nap time. :lifter

Take care of yourself and the best recovery position for scopes is lying down in a bed.

LL

Thanks! Actually I found that to be more painful at first (laying in bed). But today I am able to get up and down from both the couch and the bed with minimal pain, so this is good progress.

My big excursion of the day was walking to the back of my apartment building to take out a small bag of trash. I'm living large. :D

Thanks JJ, appreciate your wishes and kisses!

ZonieDiver
10-07-2010, 16:34
Great news, Gypsy. Get well soon.

Red Flag 1
10-07-2010, 21:44
Great news Gypsy!! Glad the scope approach worked for you, it really is the way to go.

RF 1

Sigaba
10-08-2010, 14:36
Thanks for all the well wishes and PMs. I had the surgery on Monday, and it was laproscopic as hoped. All I can say is I will never take my stomach muscles for granted again. :eek: But it seems to be getting better bit by bit, resting this week hopefully will get me back to normal soon.

Too bad no one listened to me when I told them I seem to be allergic to various surgical tapes, I have some big hives on my neck (they inserted a central line and sutured, stapled AND taped it...OMG) and also on my tummy to hold the gauze in place over the points of insertion.

Thankfully half doses of the pain med is keeping me relatively comfortable and not too zombie-like. I save the full dosage for bedtime. :DL--

I'm glad that the surgery went well. You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

If you're couch bound, you have a great opportunity to catch up with Chicago's lost treasure: Jerry Springer. (Note the lack of pink.:p)

Gypsy
10-08-2010, 14:38
Thanks gents! J, I don't even want to imagine what open surgery would have been like.

Today the pain is about a 2 on a scale of 1-10, haven't felt a need to take a pain pill. :lifter