Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 09-20-2010, 17:26   #1
Gypsy
Area Commander

Adrenal gland masses

Let me preface by stating I am consulting with a surgeon on Thursday.

That said...back in June I went to the hospital one day in severe pain, extreme nausea, vomiting and all other kinds of fun stuff. No idea what was wrong with me, but the ER doc suspected a kidney stone.

CT confirms it's indeed a stone and it's trying to pass (1" in diameter, after a failed lithotripsy it actually had to be surgically removed a couple of weeks ago.)

When the ER doc confirms his initial diagnosis I get the..."oh by the way did you know you have tumors on your adrenal glands?" Uhhh hmmm why no, I didn't. No idea how long I've had them...but there they are.

So I've had the tests, boy collecting urine for 24 hours is such a blast! Good news is the tumors are "inactive" (non-cancerous) but one is 4.0 cm, the other is 1.3 cm. Consensus amongst doctor/urologist is the 4.0 cm mass should be removed, probably by scope, sooner than later and thus the consult with the surgeon on Thursday. It seems once they get close to a 6.0 size they can become "active" (cancerous)

My question...has anyone gone through this type of surgery? While I realize everyone is different, just kind of curious on experiences and what could be an approximate recovery time...

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2010, 19:47   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Having done the surgery, if they can complete it laparoscopically, it's realativiely "easy" on you and the surgeon and you are feeling good quickly. 3 to 4 little port holes and a small incision to remove the mass and you're out of the hospital generally within 24 hr post operatively.
Best of luck and make sure the surgeon has a track record of doing these laparoscopically....ask about major complication rates, % converted to open and why, etc. If they do 1 or less a month or so, find another surgeon, you would prefer someone who does these routinely just like for any other procedure, not that they are a weekly event except in some of the major university centers.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 20:44   #3
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thank you SS, from what I understand he's performed many of these surgeries laparoscopically and was highly recommended by 2 different doctors, but I will definitely ask these questions. I appreciate your response.
Old 09-20-2010, 21:13   #4
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

G!!

Thoughts and Prayes are out for'ya!!

Take care Lady, and keep us Posted!!

Later
Martin
Old 09-20-2010, 21:40   #5
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
G!!

Thoughts and Prayes are out for'ya!!

Take care Lady, and keep us Posted!!

Later
Martin
L (aka MSCP),

I second what Martin says.

You had best be tellin' us, where WE need to be sending cookies off to, for your speedy recovery.

Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:23   #6
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

edit

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-17-2018 at 07:32.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 17:05   #7
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thanks gents! I will post after I see the surgeon. My fervent prayer is that the scope option is the way he'll go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post

Sooo... what are your favorite cookies?

RF 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post

You had best be tellin' us, where WE need to be sending cookies off to, for your speedy recovery.

LOL...awww! Hmmm shortbread or chocolate chips. Or both.
Old 09-21-2010, 17:35   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I hope it works out the way you want it to and you get well soon.

Best wishes.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 17:41   #9
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thanks, TR. Much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2010, 16:19   #10
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
H
Best of luck and make sure the surgeon has a track record of doing these laparoscopically....ask about major complication rates, % converted to open and why, etc. If they do 1 or less a month or so, find another surgeon, you would prefer someone who does these routinely just like for any other procedure, not that they are a weekly event except in some of the major university centers.

ss
ss, thanks again. Met with the surgeon today, felt really good about our conversation, his record and the actual procedure/risks etc. He said I should be good to go for the scope, sees no problems at this time. I'm confident I have the right surgeon and will have it done 4 Oct.
Old 09-23-2010, 17:08   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Good Luck,, God Bless..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 14:53   #12
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thanks for all the well wishes and PMs. I had the surgery on Monday, and it was laproscopic as hoped. All I can say is I will never take my stomach muscles for granted again. But it seems to be getting better bit by bit, resting this week hopefully will get me back to normal soon.

Too bad no one listened to me when I told them I seem to be allergic to various surgical tapes, I have some big hives on my neck (they inserted a central line and sutured, stapled AND taped it...OMG) and also on my tummy to hold the gauze in place over the points of insertion.

Thankfully half doses of the pain med is keeping me relatively comfortable and not too zombie-like. I save the full dosage for bedtime.
Old 10-06-2010, 15:41   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Glad to hear all is all,,
Be safe,,
Wishes & Kisses..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 15:41   #14
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

excellent news.....mending is so delightful but certainly better than the alternative of recovering from a complication.
Laparoscopy....kind of feels like getting stabbed! Oh, that's exactly what it is, so now you have a great story to tell at a party that you survived 4 stab wounds!!
Welcome back, let your body guide the recovery and listen to all of that really smart surgical advice your surgeon tells you.....LOL

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:49   #15
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Take care of yourself and the best recovery position for scopes is lying down in a bed. I know I didn't the first time around - baaaad idea.

Let us know if you need anything! Though I'm not too sure a belly laugh is what is prescribed right now...

LL