PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishermen?

Nightfall
09-06-2010, 17:54
Any fly fishermen on here? If so any fly tyers? I was wondering if any of you tyers wanted to do a swap? I've seen stuff like that on fly tying boards, but never really got involved, as there's only two forums I really frequent.

Looks like the typical swap tends to be something like 10 flies per person, sent to one individual then divied up amonst those that participate so we would each get 10 different flies each from other tyers.

Looked like an interesting way to get some different flies from other tyers and I really don't know any fly guys in my area, but I do so love to tie. Nothing like catching fish on a lure you made yourself, especially when it's out of random things from around the house. I mostly warm water fish, so I've gotten pretty adept at tying poppers and some fairly realistic grubs. Do a heck of a foam frog too. At some point I plan to start doing crank baits from scratch, but I can honestly say, with all the freakin' PT I've been doing plus SCUBA, plus my random assortment of class, I don't have time (nor much energy) for yet another hobby, even an addition to one I already have! Flies, even the poppers, really don't take a lot of time, so I'll stick with them for the moment.

Regardless, hopefully you guys may be interested.

wet dog
09-06-2010, 21:22
I tie and fly....

I've got mostly cold water, trout flies. Emergers, wet/dry, exciters, etc. I tend to not use floresent strike indicators, but terrestrials like mice, spiders, ants, and hoppers. I figure having a second hook in the water only increases my odds.

I have 12 patterns in 6 different sizes for about 96% of the fish I take. The remaining 1000 dozen flies are for the remaining 4%. Doesn't seem right, but that's how I roll.

My stuff has stuff. I also fish with Jameson, (it's my plan "B"), if things go wrong.

PM me an address, I'll send a few.

Tatonka316
09-06-2010, 21:57
Wet Dog - don't you ALSO fish with ??? :D:D:D

molon labe:lifter

wet dog
09-07-2010, 10:15
Wet Dog - don't you ALSO fish with ??? :D:D:D

molon labe:lifter

....Mr. Johnny Walker, and a distant cousin, John Powers.

You funny GI.

Roguish Lawyer
09-07-2010, 16:04
I fly fish but I don't tie.

TOMAHAWK9521
09-08-2010, 01:14
I also fly fish but have yet to learn how to tie flies. I'm still struggling with tattooing fleas for the time being. :D

Attached: Long Draw Res on the northern border of Rocky Mountain National Park. Elevation: 10K ft ASL. Me with a couple of Cutthroat trout. Mid August last year.

Yes, I cheated that day after catching only one cutthroat on fly rod so I switched to a spinning rod/reel. The winds were too high for a fly rod/reel so I used an adjustable bobber with a #6 lead extending from the bobber and a fly at the end. Technically, it was still fly fishing. All that matters was that I caught trout and no one else did.

craigepo
09-08-2010, 08:34
I have been putting off fly-fishing for a long time. However, the bug is really starting to bite me.

The locals here have figured out that, when the white bass are running, a small black fly will absolutely slaughter the whites in the rivers(as white bass fight like crazy, they are having a ball catching those things in the rivers).

Also, I went bonefishing a few years ago, and want to go again. Bonefish are an amazing fight, and everybody talks about how fun catching one on a flyrod can be.

Habu-MFFI 175
09-08-2010, 20:51
I flyfish and tie flies. Most of mine are a few small nymphs an such for bluegill, a few diver/floaters for bass and loads of saltwater flies. I target red drum and speckled trout with most of my flies. Occasionally even catch a flounder on a fly..:)

I tie a lot of flies/ darts for the annual shad run up the Neuse and Roanoke Rivers that takes place in the spring of the year. Along with the fly we make a "nail fly". That is one made with a fake finger nail....works great on shad. The shad darts also double for some great crappie flies.

Look down on past threads and you will see some other tyers flies.

<*))))>{

Penn
09-09-2010, 04:03
This is one of the best sources for fly fishing, "Matching the Hatch: A Practical Guide to Imitation of Insects Found on Eastern and Western Trout Waters"; the author also has written a number of other books on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Ernest-George-Schwiebert/e/B001HO70TC/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

JJ_BPK
09-09-2010, 06:02
I have been fly fishing in the Key for the last 10 yrs, but because of med "things", I have not been out in a couple years.

I started to tie but quickly found our these fingers are not the type that handle intricate thread well. So, I traded my access to the flats for flies. Worked well before I sold the boat.

Another great book on fly tying is Lefty's SaltWater Fly Patterns. You can scale most of the patterns down for fresh water winnie fishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Saltwater-Fly-Patterns-Lefty-Kreh/dp/1558213376/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284032633&sr=1-1

Part of our annual PoonTangle was a fly swap. I was very fortunate to get some outstanding examples,, and the fly liked them too..

One of the great things about saltwater fly fishing.. Like most animal species, the bigger ones tend to be a little slow. Soooo, they are easer to fool when your fly is not as pretty as the ones that win tying contest. In fact the big fish are plane stupid and will bite just about anything you throw in their face. On the flip side, Bones can as fickle as they go..

Tight Lines..

;)

ZonieDiver
09-09-2010, 12:23
For about fifteen years, I regularly "hung out" in the George Town, Great Exuma, Bahamas area. (I need to go back!!!!) There is great bone fishing there, along with pretty good to great scuba diving.

One of the hotels outside town is along a little bay that consistently produced nice catches to guys (and a few gals) who passed on breakfast while waiting for a guide to take them somewhere - at which place they might not catch as much as they did in the a.m. at the bay!

Never got into fly fishing myself...

Infantry44
09-11-2010, 18:56
I've been fly fishing off & on since college; mostly NE PA and the Salmon River. I've tried my hand at tying, but I've only managed to master the strike indicator (fat fingers)! I don't have access to my tying book right now, but I'll second the recommendation for Lefty's books, he is a phenominal fly fisherman.

I've got a couple trips planned towards the end of this year, I'll post pictures as to not get called out for telling fish tales.

tw5270
03-05-2011, 09:14
Avid Fly Fisherman here. I have been using the long rod since I was about 8. Cut my Fly Fishing teeth on some of the great western rivers. I now live in Eastern NC and don't get to the mountain trout often enough.

That being said I have plenty of flies. My collection is mostly from flies my Grandfather ties (all winter). I would be interested in a fly swap. We used to send flies for trade all the time on a Fly Fishing forum I am part of based here in NC. I don't tie myself very often but Grandpa ties beautiful flies.

Rustin S
03-05-2011, 22:49
I love to fly fish. I got lucky when the family moved out here to MT a long time ago. Fished some of the well known rivers over here, and some lesser known streams as well. I've been fly tying for awhile and was able to get pretty good at it until I went off to college. Made a couple of rods also for myself, family, and friends. Now that I am going off to the service everything got boxed up.

Patriot007
04-05-2011, 10:52
I know there are a couple of fly-fishing threads so I thought this was as good as any to place this question. It's that time of year here.

You're out on the stream and there's no hatch or any aquatics to be found to try to match. What are your go-to flies for your location. If it's one you cooked up post a picture.

PA streams

1. Beadhead Hare's ear nymph (size 14-16)
2. Beadhead Woolly bugger (Brown, black, chartreuse in that order) (size 12-16)
3. Sucker spawn of assorted colors (tied with egg yarn, white, cream, yellow, orange, red) (Size 14-16)

SeekHer
04-05-2011, 13:13
Any of Randall Kaufmann's, (of Kaufmann’s Streamborn, Inc.), books on tying are excellent but especially his "Fly Patterns" one of the bibles of fly tying,

http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/Catalog/Books-Videos/Fly-Tying-Guides/RANDLFP/

to quote: "an amazing collection of 3,600 contemporary fly patterns by over 300 of the most innovative fly tyers of our time"

I tie but have only started in the last five years--recuperating from surgeries, and amazingly, they have actually caught fish--Arctic Grayling and Arctic Char.

I tie the same two patterns in three different hook sizes and they're more a streamer style...I've done them in brown, black, grey, dark yellow, med/dark purple and the last two produce the most fish...I've tried a maroon and a med/dark red this year but haven't fish them yet--still three feet of ice on the lakes.

Then, I'm fishing in Arctic Canada and to prove a point I folded a leaf in half, hooked it like a minnow to a hook and threw it out and caught a seven pound Northern pike on the second twitch of the retrieve...Did this for three other fish within 15 minutes to prove it wasn't a fluke...This is on a fly-in lake that gets four fishermen and two guides for three days/two nights once a year

Tress
04-05-2011, 19:33
Originally posted by Patriot007

I know there are a couple of fly-fishing threads so I thought this was as good as any to place this question. It's that time of year here.

Only if you live in the southern portion portion of PA. In the northern portion we have to wait another week and a half.

Originally posted by Patriot007

You're out on the stream and there's no hatch or any aquatics to be found to try to match. What are your go-to flies for your location. If it's one you cooked up post a picture.

In this preferred order:

1. WoolyBugger of some type (I have several and which one I use depends on many things).
2. Black or Yellow Stonefly.
3. Clouser of my own design in color.

If I still do not catch anything after those, I surmise that the fish are asleep, I kick back, drink a beer and wait for the fish to awaken.

Will get some pictures for you when I take them and then figure out how to do the thumb nail thing.....

I have to teach a fly-fishing class tomorrow at a local Boy Scout Camp so I should have a good oppotunity to at least take the pictures tomorrow and hopefully there will be a trout attached to the fly.

Tress
04-05-2011, 19:44
Originally posted by SeekHer:

Then, I'm fishing in Arctic Canada and to prove a point I folded a leaf in half, hooked it like a minnow to a hook and threw it out and caught a seven pound Northern pike on the second twitch of the retrieve...Did this for three other fish within 15 minutes to prove it wasn't a fluke...This is on a fly-in lake that gets four fishermen and two guides for three days/two nights once a year.

LOL....

Do you need a man-servant to accompany you on your next trip to such a lake?

You know, to cook, clean fish, wash the boat out, net fish for you?

All expenses paid of course and I will be a fishing fool every time that you turn your back to me? :D:D:D

CA_TacMedic
04-05-2011, 21:05
I have been fly fishing since my first year in the Navy...so 91'...Wow 20 years goes by quick. I started tying my own in about 95...I am like others on this topic...I tie about 10 main patterns in a variety of sizes. Lots of nymphs and streamers...maybe a couple emergers for the short hatches. Fish mostly with a hand built G Loomis GL3 6' 9wt. Lots of trout up here in the northern Sierras...I also float tube a few lakes in the area. Unfortunately I have slacked off the last couple of years and am going to get back into it this spring. I love fly fishing and tying....both are a calming art for me.

Wallace

Bill Harsey
04-06-2011, 09:29
My fly tying started in the 7th grade.
Last 12 years or so been getting "re-qualified" by a river guide friend of mine...
then I wander off the reservation a lot.

Here are a couple from last year for late season trout, a traditional hopper then my Desert Cammo hopper made from foam and hand colored with water proof marker..

Tress
04-06-2011, 17:05
O.K. Let me see if I can do the thumbnail thing....

This should be a photo of the fishing hole that I spent the day at.

Tress
04-06-2011, 17:11
I started out with clouser streamers since there was not a hatch happening and nothing much was rising. I was doing really well with the clousers and then I switched to nymphs but after trying three different nymphs and not even getting a tug, I switched back to streamers, a wooly bugger, and started nailing the fish again.

Here are the clousers and woolybugger used. Sorry about the quality of the picture. I took it with my phone. My actual camera went swimming and is now drying out in a tupperware container full of rice. Hope it will survive today's ordeal.

wet dog
04-06-2011, 17:19
Last 12 years or so been getting "re-qualified" by a river guide friend of mine...

Here are a couple from last year for late season trout, a traditional hopper then my Desert Cammo hopper made from foam and hand colored with water proof marker..

I have to say, these work. Mr. Harsey was kind enough to provide a few of these killer flies to me last year at the SHOT show.

When I got them home, my father said, "You can't use those, you might loose them." My reply was, "Mr. Harsey would feel terrible if he knew I never used any, kind of like having a great bamboo rod hanging on the wall, never knowing the pleasure of a trout on the end of its line." The old man said, "you're right, let's go whip a fly and see what happens."

Great flies Bill.

I've also perfected the fine art of the "Long Distance Release", sometimes even on purpose. Recently discovered the pleasure of not always having to net a fish, or wipe the slime coat. When I get the visual eye to eye contact, the fish saying, "this is going to suck", I do a simple roll cast, the fish spitting out the fly. A few weeks ago, I caught the same fish 3 times, which tells me, it's not the hook the hurts, it the knife in the gills that kill.

Tress
04-06-2011, 17:21
And here are some of the trout caught today. All were browns. I caught about 24 to 30 today within three hours. It was almost ridiculous. I also missed about 20. Most were in the 9 to 12 inch range. The largest of the day was about 14 inches. All survived to be caught again another day.

18404 18405 18406

Tress
04-06-2011, 17:24
And some more fish pics.......

18407 18408 18409 18410 18411

Tress
04-06-2011, 18:11
And then there was this fish. Japanese maybe???????

Patriot007
04-07-2011, 07:36
Those hoppers look like real killers. Thanks! They look like they could do damage on some largemouth as well.

On using a hooked "strike indicator" . I'll never forget the time my nymph got snagged on the bottom, and while I was trying to free it up a 18" + rainbow aggressively attacked my orange foam strike indicator as I watched helplessly...

Habu-MFFI 175
04-07-2011, 14:06
Some great looking hoppers.

I like these small foam spiders for some great bluegill and bass action.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z250/bshobbs/Flies/spiders017.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z250/bshobbs/Flies/spiders021.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z250/bshobbs/Flies/spiders006.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z250/bshobbs/Flies/spiders023.jpg

kgoerz
05-25-2011, 15:01
I just dropped $600.00 in order to get back into Fly Fishing. Mostly Pan Fish and Bass where I'm at.
But it will be worth it. Too bad I live in Wilmington. Have to travel just to find a Lake. Anyone know some good freshwater fishing Lakes near Wilmington NC that is.

KLB
05-25-2011, 17:06
I love to fly fish - even tried fly fishing for cobia once or twice, not fancy but generally productive.

kgoerz
05-31-2011, 16:10
Got this in the mail today

Patriot007
05-31-2011, 16:20
Got this in the mail today

Very nice, looks like you're ready for some bass. Good luck, show us how it goes. Don't forget plan B.

alright4u
05-31-2011, 17:55
I only can speak about trout with flies and fly rods.

Trout flies are going to vary from #20 midges down to about #6 streamers. Like Eric, I tie flies that work in my area, plus old standards like the hare's ear nymph 12-16 that works just about anywhere trout are. Add some pheasant tails (PT's) in size 14-16, prince nymphs 12-16 (bead heads,too), San Juan Worm #14- 16 or so plus a # 20 gray midge dropper for early season western midge sight fishing. I have caught more trout on a #12 gray hare's ear weighted then any fly. Add a long tail march brown nymph in the east, plus as Eric stated terrestials and micro midges. From crane fly larvae, to other larva the San Juan worm in red, brown and tan does work. Scuds and sowbugs are a must on tailwaters where weeds/vegetation exist. Tailing trout are after scuds. I'd add some streamers for early season like clousers. You will have hatches and those will be known locally. Keep some damsel and dragon fly nymphs and flies on hand. Damsels and dragons seem to be around all bodies of fresh water. Keep a few hoppers, beetles, and ants around. Yes, woolly buggers catch trout. Have stone fly nymphs in correct size where there are Stone flies. There are large #4-6's in the Smokies. A gray weighted in #12 seems to fool brookies.

Tight lines

An HMH Spartan is a fine vise.

Roguish Lawyer
05-31-2011, 18:17
Very nice, looks like you're ready for some bass. Good luck, show us how it goes. Don't forget plan B.

Need a much bigger bottle bro

Patriot007
05-31-2011, 18:32
Need a much bigger bottle bro

Simply a better use of the floatant poach on my vest. ;)

I second the scuds for tailwater and vegetation. Last time out when nothing was working scuds worked like a charm on the browns in the weeds. A scud with flashy backing in muddier water worked particularly well.

wet dog
06-28-2011, 11:12
Been hitting the Uintas and Wind River country already. Still a lot of snow, run off makes for cloudy rough water, fish are skiddish and hole- ing.

Run off is pushing ants, beattles, other terrestials into feeding spots. Traditional flies of Elk hair caddis, Blue winged dunns, and midges will have to wait.

I did take 9 one day, 13 the next week, but only 2 last night, (not really, never netted them, a long distance release when I saw they were small).

Last week I caught the same fish three times. I looked at him and said, "if you come back again, I'm taking you home." He did, and was served with lemmon juice and crushed black pepper.

wet dog
06-28-2011, 22:58
Sir,
Spoke with a friend who had plans to fish this week in MT (missouri river) but he had to cancel due to "epic" flooding. It seems you have fared better. What areas would you suggest I look at in WY if you were to suggest.....?

Thanks.

Received a nice note today, thought I'd post for others as well.

The Laramie area, Medicine Bow, Hannah, Casper areas are good. Cody is reporting good fishing, as well as Yellowstone, south into the Star Valley, Afton, WY or the Flaming Gorge Green River.

Water is high everywhere, be safe. I perfer the smaller streams, trout, remote places. Having said all that. I'd start with Lander, WY - venture west either by foot, (ruck sack) or horse back. These trails are not for the faint of heart. Be prepared for stepping high over fallen trees, tough stream crossings, buck brush, thick wild places. The glacier fields are beautiful, with steep high rising rocks holding any direct sunshine at bay.

Late July - through mid September is the best. One day, you'll be wearing T-shirts, the next, 6 inches of snow.

If you like to camp and cook, you gotta ruck with a large skillet w/lid, NLT 14".

Eggs, bacon, trout, whiskey, and not in that order. Wild mushrooms for bisque soup are plentiful, be sure to properly identify.

Enjoy, Wet Dog

http://landerwyoming.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanto/2778418416/

JJ_BPK
06-29-2011, 05:19
Don't forget plan B.

Is that a 18wt reel??
or a mini-plan B??

:p:p

alright4u
06-29-2011, 18:03
Been hitting the Uintas and Wind River country already. Still a lot of snow, run off makes for cloudy rough water, fish are skiddish and hole- ing.

Run off is pushing ants, beattles, other terrestials into feeding spots. Traditional flies of Elk hair caddis, Blue winged dunns, and midges will have to wait.

I did take 9 one day, 13 the next week, but only 2 last night, (not really, never netted them, a long distance release when I saw they were small).

Last week I caught the same fish three times. I looked at him and said, "if you come back again, I'm taking you home." He did, and was served with lemmon juice and crushed black pepper.

You up in the range? Damn, you have to know some folks to fish there. Smiling.

wet dog
06-29-2011, 20:56
Since I got my camera to work once more, thought I'd post a few shots.

I wear a Filson winter vest. Two main compartments, with little pockets, and large area back pack. I keep it light enough to still enjoy the hike. If I were to start carrying more, I just opt for a Alice Large Ruck Sack and LBE carrying beer rather then M16 mags.

Flies to many to count.

wet dog
06-29-2011, 21:12
Flies, kits and stuff.

wet dog
06-29-2011, 21:16
Saddle leather case, Bamboo 8.5ft, 4-5 wght, three piece, (1) extra tip, home made reel.

Infantry44
07-03-2011, 19:15
Anyone fish the trout streams on FTCKY? Looking like I might have some time to get out on the water this fall, wouldn't mind hitting the water with someone who knew the area.

wet dog
09-05-2011, 20:38
Forgot to post last months catch, my bad. Expecting snow to begin flying in the coming weeks. Its nice to finishing summer with a win. Perfect day, Prince Nimphs, a few Bill Harsey hoppers, Green Olive Dunns. Took one on San Juan worm. Fat fish, even the small ones failed weight limits. Do you suspect they know something about this years coming winter?

WD

TOMAHAWK9521
09-06-2011, 02:51
Forgot to post last months catch, my bad. Expecting snow to begin flying in the coming weeks. Its nice to finishing summer with a win. Perfect day, Prince Nimphs, a few Bill Harsey hoppers, Green Olive Dunns. Took one on San Juan worm. Fat fish, even the small ones failed weight limits. Do you suspect they know something about this years coming winter?

WD

Oh sure, go ahead a rub it in. I never got to do any casting before I deployed back in June. What with all that late and heavy wet weather we had. The Poudre, Colorado, Frying Pan, N. Platte, and Green were all frothing chocolate milk as late as August before they started clearing up. Now you're telling me that I get to come home in time for more impending wet weather to make the rivers suck once more. :(

But at least it will be cool and green. I'm going to try and hit the Poudre and see if there are any decent Cutthroats left up in Long Draw Res before I go in for surgery.

Nice catch by the way. :)

wet dog
09-06-2011, 05:14
Oh sure, go ahead a rub it in. I never got to do any casting before I deployed back in June. What with all that late and heavy wet weather we had. The Poudre, Colorado, Frying Pan, N. Platte, and Green were all frothing chocolate milk as late as August before they started clearing up. Now you're telling me that I get to come home in time for more impending wet weather to make the rivers suck once more. :(

But at least it will be cool and green. I'm going to try and hit the Poudre and see if there are any decent Cutthroats left up in Long Draw Res before I go in for surgery.

Nice catch by the way. :)

I'll have too hook you up with Mr Dale, he's got a cabin up in the Poudre country. Keys to the door are on a nail under the porch, whiskey inside.

Enough said, come home to us quickly, remain safe.

Tress
09-06-2011, 20:18
Originally posted by wet dog:

WD

Nice catch! The two in the upper right of the picture are rainbows but I am not sure of the others. They kinda look like browns, but not really. What are they? :confused:

Tress

wet dog
09-06-2011, 20:52
Nice catch! The two in the upper right of the picture are rainbows but I am not sure of the others. They kinda look like browns, but not really. What are they? :confused:

Tress

Cutthroats will breed with Rainbow trout, producing a "Cutbow", many are also called Greenback Cutthroat or Colorado Cuttroat, we just call them "brookies", some taking on a look of little "tiger fish". Someone with alot more experience with the hybrids could answer better, I only just recently began to think like a fish.

Rainbows tend to pussy out on a fight, many like these, put up a fight and deserved a proper release back into the water. We kept only enough for supper, "fried fish with free ranged chicken eggs, coffe and toaste, mmmm, mmmm, good."

We caught better then 50 fish that day in the late afternoon hours. When a hatch is on, it's on!

From the photo, you can see the 5th wheel ball, turned over.

The truck is a standard, 2000 1ton F350 ranch truck. From the ball to fender, I'm guessing 20 inches. These fish, not one of the big ones is over 14", but they were fun and really great fighters.:lifter

Tress
09-06-2011, 21:17
Originally posted by wet dog:

Cutthroats will breed with Rainbow trout, producing a "Cutbow", many are also called Greenback Cutthroat or Colorado Cuttroat, we just call them "brookies", some taking on a look of little "tiger fish". Someone with alot more experience with the hybrids could answer better, I only just recently began to think like a fish.

When I lived in PA and helped stock the creeks and rivers, every once in a while they would have what they called a "tiger trout" and they tended to be on the huge side. IIRC it was a mix of brown trout and brook trout, but was sterile. I am guessing that it was sterile because brookies are not really trout, but actually are a char.

Anyway, being a tiger trout would make sense as the ones in your photo have the body of a brown and the tiger stripe-like markings of a brookie.

Tress

wet dog
09-06-2011, 21:45
When I lived in PA and helped stock the creeks and rivers, every once in a while they would have what they called a "tiger trout" and they tended to be on the huge side. IIRC it was a mix of brown trout and brook trout, but was sterile. I am guessing that it was sterile because brookies are not really trout, but actually are a char.

Anyway, being a tiger trout would make sense as the ones in your photo have the body of a brown and the tiger stripe-like markings of a brookie.

Tress

That sounds right, the USFS biologist says these are not sterile,...they do breed, and they can get big. What I do know also, they are really alot of fun to catch.

TOMAHAWK9521
09-06-2011, 22:16
On the "C" and lower "B" sections of the Green R. the browns look like logs cruising along the surface. They get pretty decent sized in the Colorado west of Glennwood Spgs, too.

A couple years back I pulled up a "Squaw Fish" while floating the Colorado between New Castle and Silt. At first I thought I had gotten snagged on a log until my rod started bending back down on itself. It was only about 18 inches but it put up such a fight I thought it was at least twice that size. When we finally got it up to the surface it was the freakiest thing I ever saw. My first thought was that it was "Blinky-the 3-eyed fish" from the Simpsons. It's pale and its huge arrow-shaped head doesn't match its body. My old boss was yelling not to land it because it's rare and endangered. Luckily, it spit the hook out before I had chance to remove it and it shot back down to the bottom.

I was told they used to be very common and grow to significant sizes in Colorado waters but their numbers plummeted with the development of the water ways. Too bad, because I really would loved to have seen a big one put up a fight.

wet dog
09-07-2011, 05:02
My old boss was yelling not to land it because it's rare and endangered..........Too bad, because I really would loved to have seen a big one put up a fight.

(Bosses are such asshats, especially old bosses.)

Tress
09-18-2011, 10:27
A few weeks ago I was out on the ocean following a Menhaden bait-ball, throwing a squid fly at the edges of the bait-ball with my 8 wt. fly rod that I used to use for Large and Small mouth bass. The squid fly is just a little too big and bulky for the 8 wt., but it manages at short distances and it was the largest weight rod that I had. I hooked several nice sized (18” to 24”) Spanish mackerel and then almost had the rod pulled out of my hands by a really big hit. I fought with this fish for about 20 minutes letting him run and then slowly pulling him back in and then letting him run again, back and forth. As I brought the fish closer to the boat I thought that the 8 wt. rod was going to break, it was almost forming a 180 degree bend. Suddenly the 20 lb. leader snapped and I lost the fish.

I never really saw the fish and even if I did I probably would not have been able to identify it as I am not yet that familiar with salt water species, but my fishing buddy is very familiar them and he said that it was a really big King Mackerel, one of the bigger ones that he had ever seen.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that if I had a stronger weight rod and leader I would have been able to have been more aggressive on the retrieve and maybe boated the fish. I also would like to fly fish for Dolphin, Red fish and such and those are just as big and strong as Kings from what I hear. So I called my buddy in PA and ordered a 10 wt. blank, reel seat and other bits and pieces that were delivered a week or so ago. This is what the mess looked like when it arrived:

And this is what it looks like now after piecing it all together:

20052 20053

It is a really stiff rod with a really strong spline and should be able to handle some of the bigger fish around here. Coupled with a 400 to 450 grain fly line I should also be able to better cut through the wind and more easily cast the squid fly and other big bulky flies.

Here is the squid fly that I am throwing:

I will not really have a chance to test the rod out on the ocean until next weekend. I will write up an AAR then.
Tress

rocketjok
05-02-2012, 19:31
Any one fishing out in washington? I am currently with 1st group and when I am home I fish. I like getting up into the alpine lakes but I know a lot of locals with drift boats and do some steelheading with fly rods. I tie every Tuesday as well, at Madigan with the healing waters guys.
I am trying to head out to okinawa and am curious how fly fishing will be out there.

tw5270
05-22-2013, 14:52
As previously stated in this thread I am a long time Fly Fisherman and have fished both Ft. Lewis area and Okinawa. Keep in mind I was just a little kid but I have been lugging fly rods around the world since I was 8.
If you are heading to Okinawa I suggest you start looking in to tenkara - http://www.tenkarausa.com/ There are many small streams and plenty of fish on the island but also a lot of snakes.
I focused mostly of carp.

In and around Lewis there are a few great lakes and several nice rivers. When we were at Lewis I lived right on Sears Lake which was restricted to 16 and under. Other than opening day I pretty much had the lake to myself all year.

I now live in Boone NC so if any members want to wet a line in the mountains of NC let me know. If I can't go with you I can sure point you in a good direction.