PDA

View Full Version : One of Mr. H's comes home.........

HaveBlue
08-25-2010, 21:48
to Oregon, anyway.;)
I just recieved an A/F Boot Knife! The guard is stamped #025 and it has a hollow grind on the backside.

HaveBlue
08-25-2010, 21:52
More pics here (bottom of page)

http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/harsey_designs

swatsurgeon
08-25-2010, 23:33
that's a low number....Yancey or Harsey????

ss

Bill Harsey
08-26-2010, 06:03
that's a low number....Yancey or Harsey????

ss

To the best of my memory Yancey never used my mark or ever ground a three sided blade.... so I must have made it, and did. ;)

HaveBlue,
That knife was made by me and delivered directly to Col. Rex Applegate and it started the journey from his place on the Umpqua River at Scottsburg, Oregon.

Rumblyguts
08-26-2010, 08:41
That right there is whacha call provenance!

HaveBlue
08-26-2010, 11:29
From Scottsburg to Scott's House! :D

I had no doubt it was Mr. Harsey's work. The seller didn't list size details or that it was a boot knife. The low serial told me that it most likley wasn't a "full size" knife.

Bill, what was the time frame when you made this knife? I'm thinking of bringing or sending it to you for a refurb.

PS, Did you get your camshaft issue resolved?

swatsurgeon
08-26-2010, 13:23
Just goes to show that some knife historians have inaccurate information out on the web.....

HaveBlue
08-26-2010, 18:31
Just goes to show that some knife historians have inaccurate information out on the web.....

SS, If your refering to this from Wickersham's article;

Meanwhile, Bill Harsey, having started with serial number 1000, and also using 154cm, was making the handmade versions; with Al Mar Knives in full production of the A/F by 1987

I believe that applies to the full size knives and not the other variants that Bill made.

swatsurgeon
08-26-2010, 21:37
yup...so much for attempting to become educated about a legendary blade.

ss

JJ_BPK
09-16-2010, 08:10
Not trying to hi-jack,, but I found this on ebay. It's not serialized but is touted as aa early Blackjack prototype.

Mr H,

Could you give us a little history lesson and enlighten us on who did what to whom, & when??

Tx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280562770246&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Blackjack Knives Effingham, ILL. This knife is an Applegate -Fairbairn Fighting knife prototype. The knife is 11" long overall, and the Double edged blade is 5-3/4" long. The blade has a bead blasted finish. The white plastic handles were supplied by Col. Applegate himself, so that he could maintain control of actual #s produced. He did the same thing on the production line of knives, and supplied the Green handles that are now famous for cracking. These White handled knives are very rare,( only 17 ) and are now a real piece of History! This was # 7 of 17, although I'm having trouble locating the # tag ( it was only paper on a string ). The condition of the knife is Far from perfect. These were prototypes, and as a result, were handled, and measured, and messed with a lot! This one has a couple spots of some sort of glue on the front side of the blade. ( not rust ! ) Comes with the early production eye-hole riveted sheath.Never been used carried, or sharpened, but none the less, Used condition! I only ship to the United States via U.S.P.S. priority mail with delivery confirmation, at about half cost to the buyer, just $4.00! Thanks for looking, and please check out my other listings for more interesting knives!

DJ Urbanovsky
09-16-2010, 13:01
That's awesome.

HaveBlue: Refurb!? Are you saying that you want Bill to erase the history of that knife?

HaveBlue
09-19-2010, 22:22
That's awesome.

HaveBlue: Refurb!? Are you saying that you want Bill to erase the history of that knife?

Nope, just reblast the grips.