PDA

View Full Version : Gunbroker purchases

Angry Mike
05-27-2010, 19:05
ALCON

Be advised, if you intend to open a new account on Gunbroker, they will now require a valid cc and will charge you $1.00 for every time they (GB) attempt to validate your cc with either your bank or the cc company. If it comes back as non-valid you will still get charged and they will resubmit. Even if your cc is refused for some innocuous reason, GB will keep your cc on file.

Also, there is now more reported fraud on GB from Nigerian type scams. Caveat Emptor is the rule of the day on the site now. GB is there for the seller as that is where they make their money. How come so many sellers have A+++++ ratings?

Do your shopping, get some prices and then call a contact number. There are many reputable folks on GB, but there is slime there as anywhere else on the internet. Or better yet go to a local dealer and have them order you one of whatever you want out of shotgun news.

Just a heads up. If you have an issue or a question hit me w/ a pm and I will look around for you.

Angry

LarryW
05-27-2010, 19:24
FWIW I purchased an 870 Express online (shipped to my local FFL) from the link below. The discussion over the phone, the follow-up info sent to me electronically, and the delivered product were exactly as represneted. They're in Houston. Just for what it might be worth. I got good service from them. Have never used Gunbrokers or GunsAmerica. YMMV.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/

Ambush Master
05-27-2010, 21:05
Collectors in HOU has been around forever!! I used to know the owners and may still!! They are a VERY REPUTABLE Store and I'm not sure what affiliation they may, or may not, have with Gunbrokers!!

Later
Martin

LarryW
05-28-2010, 03:04
Point taken, AM.

BrainStorm
05-28-2010, 07:24
I've made several (more than 5) purchases via GunBroker.com. My experience has been positive.

First, the dollar they charged to verify my cc became a credit in my account which can be used should I ever sell anything on this service. IIRC, the purpose of this transaction is to help sort out the scammers. I'm not understanding your concern here.

Second, I checked out each vendor before making a bid. For low cost items I usually rely on just the rating and have purchased from individuals. For more expensive items (like guns) I only buy from businesses that I can find. With patience, I've found incredible deals. Patience is rewarded. On one deal I bought some RBCD ammo way below dealer cost because no-one else bid and the seller did not set a minimum price. He has changed his strategy since then.

Last, I found my FFL via GunBroker.com. He only charges $15.00 per transfer plus tax. Until BATF objected, he went to the customer's home to complete the delivery. I tried to tip him for all the personal service, but he refused.

BigJimCalhoun
05-31-2010, 21:24
I set up a GB account a last year with my employer's email address. Since I no longer work for that company, I wanted to change the email to my hotmail and was charged $1. I did get the $1 credit once I made a purchase.

If someone wants a 30.06, there are many under $400 for sale on GB. I got my Rem 700 for $331.

I bought from a pawn shop in Reno via GB. I was leary of buying from someone without a lot of previous sales.