PDA

View Full Version : What is it...

Requiem
04-01-2010, 13:45
... and should it be in my house?

Dear Sirs, my Google-fu brought up "Large Ammunition Data Sheets" and Army Technical Manuals, things I can't even pretend to understand. I'd appreciate your enlightenment. :)

My husband, a pack-rat never known to turn down something free, brought this home last evening. It has written on the base of it: MMO 1944 Drill Cartridge Base 90 MM M12 M12B1. It's very heavy.

Should I call the bomb squad ASAP or give it a place of honor and call it a "conversation piece?" :D

Thank you Gentlemen.

-Susan

lksteve
04-01-2010, 14:07
It's a dummy training round used to drill tank crews in loading procedures...

Requiem
04-01-2010, 14:19

Oh great! Just what I need around the house -- another dummy! :p

I assume it's harmless, then?

Thank you for your help Sir.

-Susan

The Reaper
04-01-2010, 14:21
I assume it's harmless, then?

-Susan

As long as you do not drop it or knock it over on your toe.:D

TR

Team Sergeant
04-01-2010, 14:25

How do you know it's a dummy? Looks like something from WWI.

The Reaper
04-01-2010, 14:29
How do you know it's a dummy? Looks like something from WWI.

Because of the nomenclature: "MMO 1944 Drill Cartridge Base 90 MM M12 M12B1"

TR

Team Sergeant
04-01-2010, 14:33
Can you get a up-close picture of the bottom?

ZonieDiver
04-01-2010, 14:42
Because of the nomenclature: "MMO 1944 Drill Cartridge Base 90 MM M12 M12B1"

TR

My research said it was "inert" - like many of my students. (I can't call them 'dummies' - so I guess I'll start using "inert" - they'll think it is a compliment.)

The Reaper
04-01-2010, 15:44
My research said it was "inert" - like many of my students. (I can't call them 'dummies' - so I guess I'll start using "inert" - they'll think it is a compliment.)

An "Inert" piece of ordnance means that it contains no flammables or explosives.

A "Drill" round is also inert, but is also designed to be repeatedly cycled through the weapon. Cycling an inert round might break it or cause it to be lodged in the weapon.

They are not always the same.

HTH.

TR

lksteve
04-01-2010, 15:48
How do you know it's a dummy? Looks like something from WWI.It is from WWII...and I went through the data sheets...took a looooooong time to download....

Requiem
04-01-2010, 18:08
Can you get a up-close picture of the bottom?

Yes sir, here are some better photos.

With some good lighting on the tip, I found the following: "Inert. Fuze Dummy M44 A2." (Interesting way to spell fuse.)

-Susan

Team Sergeant
04-01-2010, 18:12
Yes sir, here are some better photos.

With some good lighting on the tip, I found the following: "Inert. Fuze Dummy M44 A2." (Interesting way to spell fuse.)

-Susan

Good pics.

Yup, that's what I was looking for, no primer and the word "inert"..... As the Reaper said, you is safe.;)

Requiem
04-01-2010, 18:15
As long as you do not drop it or knock it over on your toe.:D TR

Roger that Sir.

Would it be too blasphemous to banish the WWII relic to my garden? It might look nice in the iris and peony bed. :D

-Susan

Team Sergeant
04-01-2010, 18:17
Roger that Sir.

Would it be too blasphemous to banish the WWII relic to my garden? It might look nice in the iris and peony bed. :D

-Susan

Yeah, and then you find out it's worth $1500.

Requiem
04-01-2010, 18:22
Good pics.

Yup, that's what I was looking for, no primer and the word "inert"..... As the Reaper said, you is safe.;)

Many thanks, Sir.

I'm breathing easier around it. Not like late last night, when dear hubby brought it in to the bedroom and put in on the bed. How many women can say they've been in bed with one of those? :p

-Susan

Requiem
04-01-2010, 18:24
Yeah, and then you find out it's worth $1500.

In that case, Sir, it can sleep in bed with me anytime. :D

-Susan

ZonieDiver
04-01-2010, 19:09
Many thanks, Sir.

I'm breathing easier around it. Not like late last night, when dear hubby brought it in to the bedroom and put in on the bed. How many women can say they've been in bed with one of those? :p

-Susan

I hear lots of women say they spent time in bed with inert, heavy objects! :D

Requiem
04-01-2010, 19:55
I hear lots of women say they spent time in bed with inert, heavy objects! :D

LOL! (Some of them were probably dummies, too!)

-Susan