PDA

View Full Version : Is Batman a Myth?

alfromcolorado
08-21-2009, 19:21
Everyone I know has heard the 10th Group Batman story. A former 7th Group guy I work with and I were discussing such important matters and we decided to do an internet search.

We came up with this interesting little tid bit of information...

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/batman.asp

The 7th Group guy had run into some Brit Royal Marines that had the same story about one of their guys.

I knew a warrant that had been in 10th since the late 70s and swore he knew the guy-gave me a name and post traumatic info on where the guy ended up after being "hummed out" of 10th by the Batman themesong...

Comments?

mojaveman
08-21-2009, 23:03
You've got a dirty mind Al,

I distinctly remember reading the "Batman" story aloud from a Hustler magazine to a couple of my cohorts in 5th back in the mid 80s.

Please remember that there was no internet back then and we had to find creative ways to amuse ourselves. :D

alfromcolorado
08-22-2009, 05:38
It actually got a writeup in Hustler? Was it the myth or the 10th Group story?

I am not going to ask about "creative ways to amuse ourselves"... :eek: :D

Does seem kind of suspicious that this has been a Brit story for years and then it pops into SF lore... From Britain.

You've got a dirty mind Al,

I distinctly remember reading the "Batman" story aloud from a Hustler magazine to a couple of my cohorts in 5th back in the mid 80s.

Please remember that there was no internet back then and we had to find creative ways to amuse ourselves. :D

Stras
08-22-2009, 08:57
That was the popular rumor at Airborne School in 89 with one of the seedy motels by Ranger Joes.

mojaveman
08-22-2009, 09:47
It actually got a writeup in Hustler? Was it the myth or the 10th Group story?

I am not going to ask about "creative ways to amuse ourselves"... :eek: :D

Does seem kind of suspicious that this has been a Brit story for years and then it pops into SF lore... From Britain.

The story could have been in one of the many other adult periodicals but I seem to remember it being posted in Hustler because in that era it was one of my favorite publications. The story didn't involve a member of 10th, but instead, some poor English chap.

I can't imagine any good SF trooper letting himself get into a compromising position like that, butt maybe somebody from 1st COSCOM. :D

It's interesting how some stories proliferate in certian circles of men. :p

alfromcolorado
08-22-2009, 13:51
That story was in the whole circle of SF, not just 10th. Back in the mid late 80s it was all over.

"I can't imagine any good SF trooper letting himself get into a compromising position like that..." Yeah, no SF trooper EVER got so drunk that he would get himself in a compromising position... :rolleyes:

The story could have been in one of the many other adult periodicals but I seem to remember it being posted in Hustler because in that era it was one of my favorite publications. The story didn't involve a member of 10th, but instead, some poor English chap.

I can't imagine any good SF trooper letting himself get into a compromising position like that, butt maybe a member of 1st COSCOM. :D

It's interesting how some stories proliferate in certian circles of men. :p

longrange1947
08-22-2009, 19:51
Guys, I was just finishing up a Flintlock stand down in 75, Skullthorpe(sp?) when the story broke that one of the guys got hit by Batman. It was a great conversation but none of us knew who got "tied up" and had the closet door open. John Yancy and I wanted to know who would be so stupid as to admit it. :eek:

I have no idea if it was true or just a wild a**ed story. After 45 days in the Black Forest, copious amount of beer, and a fight in the air base class six store within minutes of getting out of the "woods", we really didn't think too much about it after the initial telling of the story, and initial giggle factor. :D

That was the first time any of us had heard the story and I do not know if that was the first time it was spread. Just that nine of us had ever heard it before and I had the trip to England before and after. The story repeated after that was always about the '75 trip, or hell, maybe 76, it was a while ago. :D

alfromcolorado
08-23-2009, 07:31
That is the time frame I always heard it had happened... (plus but never minus...)

Anyway, appears to me to be just an extension of an already existing myth.

Guys, I was just finishing up a Flintlock stand down in 75, Skullthorpe(sp?) when the story broke that one of the guys got hit by Batman. It was a great conversation but none of us knew who got "tied up" and had the closet door open. John Yancy and I wanted to know who would be so stupid as to admit it. :eek:

I have no idea if it was true or just a wild a**ed story. After 45 days in the Black Forest, copious amount of beer, and a fight in the air base class six store within minutes of getting out of the "woods", we really didn't think too much about it after the initial telling of the story, and initial giggle factor. :D

That was the first time any of us had heard the story and I do not know if that was the first time it was spread. Just that nine of us had ever heard it before and I had the trip to England before and after. The story repeated after that was always about the '75 trip, or hell, maybe 76, it was a while ago. :D

SkiBumCFO
08-23-2009, 19:47
Wow Long Range that brings back some Sculthorpe memories! The story was still alive and well in 81 and 82 and i think by then it was supposed to be one of the guys from the support company and not an SF Qualified guy but its all a bit fuzzy. So many other interesting things happened on that annual exercise that one hardly needed to make up a story to entertain ;)

alelks
08-23-2009, 20:52
The only Batman I remember in the early 80's was the one who was packing parachutes and signing off on the log as "Batman".

alfromcolorado
08-24-2009, 05:24
The only Batman I remember in the early 80's was the one who was packing parachutes and signing off on the log as "Batman".

Did the guy have a British accent?

alfromcolorado
08-24-2009, 05:27
Wow Long Range that brings back some Sculthorpe memories! The story was still alive and well in 81 and 82 and i think by then it was supposed to be one of the guys from the support company and not an SF Qualified guy but its all a bit fuzzy. So many other interesting things happened on that annual exercise that one hardly needed to make up a story to entertain ;)

People were still relaying that story till the day I retired in 98. The story varied somewhat over time... Imagine that...

And guys in other groups had heard it, probably due to the fact all the schools were at Bragg.

ODA 226
08-25-2009, 06:39
As I recall, it supposedly happened to a certain MSG that worked in Group HQ and who had an identical twin brother. I think I remember the name of the guy but won't reveal it here.

I think Caviani and Fitzwater may remember the name also.

longrange1947
08-25-2009, 07:25
Well that would be second Bn and that would explain it all. :munchin :D

Sorry, could not resist.

ODA 226
08-25-2009, 07:54
Well that would be second Bn and that would explain it all. :munchin :D

Sorry, could not resist.

And Yancy was my first Team Sergeant BTW...:p I'm positive of the name. The victim had a twin brother that was also in the 10th Group. You, being another "oldtimer" might be able to remember the name.

longrange1947
08-25-2009, 10:18
Different Yancey. I am talking of John Yancy, we were on 313 together at that time and went to Panama after John volunteered me with him and another guy from the company.

I picked on 2d Bn only to throw a dig on your old Bn. Sorry, it was a cheap shot. :)

DrJay
08-28-2009, 19:06
I remember hearing the Batman story in Korea, it supposedly happened to an MP (NO! say it ain't so...) in Uijong-bu, where there was a small US/UN airfield within the city limits. This was around the 1985 time frame.
The closet door opening...that's the hilarious element.
Doc K

Judgeroybean
08-29-2009, 21:06
Heard that one in 81, during my first Flintlock. Was attached to signal co., for my 6 month stint and fresh out of the Q course. Our Co. gathered us all around and told the story-reminded me of a camp counselor trying to scare the kids. While I never was handcuffed, I did manage to take a dip in the English channel!! Remember how they bused all the brit woman in for the club? Good times.

SkiBumCFO
08-29-2009, 22:28
Heard that one in 81, during my first Flintlock. Judge - I think we had our first Flintlock together and that is also where i heard the story! I was a PFC in the MI Co at the time. Two of our guys were picked up at a bus stop by some local schoolteachers and had a much better time than batman! I remember them busing the ladies in and the no camera policy inside the club. Cant remember if it was 81 or 82 that Jimmy Trainor's team kept getting in trouble both inside and outside the club, they were bored to death the CO was happy to get them deployed. When I got back from Q course in 84 they switched Flintlock to every two years which probably made Grp Cmdr happy less of a chance for trouble. What team did you eventually end up on?

Judgeroybean
08-29-2009, 22:55
233 and 234, C Co. Only made one more Flintlock, in 83, attached to scuba tm as commo. Used to have a great time in Aalborg, Denmark!

ODA 226
08-31-2009, 06:09
Just suffice it to say there is truth to the Batman story.

Judgeroybean
08-31-2009, 12:04
Was she worth it??:)

kgoerz
08-31-2009, 12:38
Just the fact that this thread is still alive, concerns me greatly:D

alfromcolorado
08-31-2009, 15:20
Just suffice it to say there is truth to the Batman story.

I have my doubts about it. Seems to me it is a story someone heard in Britain and decided to have some fun to see if it would stick in 10th. Then Korea picked it up, the Royal Marines probably have had it for longer than 10th, since they are nearer to the original myth than us Yankees...

ODA 226
09-01-2009, 08:50
I have my doubts about it. Seems to me it is a story someone heard in Britain and decided to have some fun to see if it would stick in 10th. Then Korea picked it up, the Royal Marines probably have had it for longer than 10th, since they are nearer to the original myth than us Yankees...

Al,
Trust me. There is truth to it. I know who it was.

alfromcolorado
09-01-2009, 15:51
Al,
Trust me. There is truth to it. I know who it was.

I know a few people that know who it was...

glebo
09-02-2009, 06:34
I know a few people that know who it was...

Well...?? why are ya keeping us in suspense?? do tell:D

Team Sergeant
09-02-2009, 07:21
Just the fact that this thread is still alive, concerns me greatly:D

LOLOLOL

All the Batman stories I heard concerned 10th Gp & Germany....... and it occured before my SF time (1983).;)

ODA 226
09-02-2009, 11:15
LOLOLOL

All the Batman stories I heard concerned 10th Gp & Germany....... and it occured before my SF time (1983).;)

I met the victim at Sculthorpe in 1979. Again. 10th Group HQ MSG that had a twin brother who was also in the 10th. That kinda narrows it down...

alfromcolorado
09-02-2009, 15:26
Well...?? why are ya keeping us in suspense?? do tell:D

I don't believe it really happened...

ODA 226
09-03-2009, 08:18
I don't believe it really happened...

I don't want to believe it either but.....PM sent. Check your Inbox.