PDA

View Full Version : Is one's blood type a national secret now?

PSM
07-23-2009, 23:01
What a fuster cluck!

My son just got back from his first RSP drill weekend with the CONG. Before he left Denver they asked him for his blood type. He didn't know it. We don't know it. His doctor doesn't know it...and they don't do blood typing.

He needs the info tomorrow (he just got home last night). I suggested that he donate blood and ask the Red Cross what his type is. RC said that they could do that but he could not donate until Monday.

So he called an Urgent Care shop and they said that they could do it but that insurance wouldn't pay for it. He said that that was not a problem and went there. BUT, they wouldn't take him unless he had proof of insurance! So he drives to our house to get his insurance card and goes back to the vampires.

Blood taken; results tomorrow.

That's all fine and dandy...BUT, they drew blood from him at MEPS last month. Don't they type it? Are they going to just believe whatever the recruit says?

BTW, his full SSN is on the back of his ID card. :rolleyes:

Pat

tcush
07-23-2009, 23:09
At MEPS I believe they simply screen the blood for HIV to determine eligibility to enlist.

TheShootist
07-23-2009, 23:15
FWIW- It's not mission critical. Once he gets to BCT, they'll have him a brand new set of dog tags with the correct blood type on them derived from a blood test at the reception station. At the RSP it's just convenience if you knew your blood type.

Pete S
07-24-2009, 02:15
At MEPS I believe they simply screen the blood for HIV to determine eligibility to enlist.

They test for all blood borne pathogens in addition to typing it at MEPS.

Brush Okie
07-24-2009, 02:24
Take it from a guy that has been dealing with MEPPS the last few weeks. It a cluster fuck there.

Eagle5US
07-24-2009, 06:51
Deep breath, relax, Blood Type is not that big of a deal - even if you need blood.
It may seem catastrophic on your end, but it is hardly worth the notice in the big picture.
It'll be OK.;)

Eagle

The Reaper
07-24-2009, 09:24
If the Army wants it, they will get it.

No need for him to take exceptional measures to meet a service need.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-24-2009, 10:20
BTW, his full SSN is on the back of his ID card. :rolleyes:

Pat

And our SSN is also on our dog tags. If you allow an individual to get close enough to read them without your consent that's how we say on you.

Some things are not worth fretting over.

Did you sign up with your son? If not it might be time to allow him to step out from behind your apron strings and do things on his own.

Team Sergeant

PSM
07-24-2009, 10:48
And our SSN is also on our dog tags. If you allow an individual to get close enough to read them without your consent that's how we say on you.

Some things are not worth fretting over.

Did you sign up with your son? If not it might be time to allow him to step out from behind your apron strings and do things on his own.

Team Sergeant

My concern wasn’t on the military side, it’s that when the call goes out to the general public for specific donors and the Red Cross laments the lack of response, perhaps it’s because no one knows their blood type any more. It would seem to fall under the “Be Prepared” label.

I was on the front end of the SSN issue. My dog tags have both my original serial number and SSN on them. (And I can still rattle off the first as easily as the second. ;))

Pat