PDA

View Full Version : Blitz only Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-14-2009, 08:20
I am posting this thread seperately of the other "what's new" thread because I have over (update to 300) persons associated with this site that are using the Blitz system.

I would like all of the persons who have been sent copies of the Blitz to post results and opinions here for ease of coordination the info for further work in this area.

As I have stated and will defend to the end is that this system is the only "NEW" exercise system on the planet. I think if we deal with it here there will be less confusion for the other systems as there is no comparission between these and the Blitz ..

Thanks and good luck to you all.
I am trying to get the Groups to adapt this system as the primary source of strength and endurance for the troops.
There is no need to "hire" a strength coach for each Group ,when the Team members can be trained to Blitz their teams and the Groups can better spend their money on Proper equipment to blitz.. Big savings on money with a Much, much, better result. Blitz

Soak60
07-14-2009, 15:00
I've been using the Blitz as my "light lift" workout to alternate with my heavier workouts; doing 2 days a week using Blitz for chest/arms and shoulders/back, and then 2 "traditional" lifting days later in the week. (I work my abs and do pushups and run/cardio/ruck regardless of whether I lift or not)

The Blitz days are MUCH harder, and it's too soon to say for sure, but I'm pretty sure having Blitz as my alternate is increasing my max reps on the heavier days (I am shooting for being able to bench 225lbs 20+reps, not going to go over that weight for max- I weigh 200lbs atm, shooting to lower to 185). Either way, I think I'm more smoked overall on Blitz days than traditional days.

Question though: I'm working through to a minute, but I had to actually lower the weight to less than 1/3 of my 1-rep max. I tried doing exactly 1/3, but ended up having to stop and rest, so I moved the weight down for the following sets rather than have to put the bar down for 10 seconds. Is this acceptable, or do I need to try harder?

Alex

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-14-2009, 17:03
I've been using the Blitz as my "light lift" workout to alternate with my heavier workouts; doing 2 days a week using Blitz for chest/arms and shoulders/back, and then 2 "traditional" lifting days later in the week. (I work my abs and do pushups and run/cardio/ruck regardless of whether I lift or not)

The Blitz days are MUCH harder, and it's too soon to say for sure, but I'm pretty sure having Blitz as my alternate is increasing my max reps on the heavier days (I am shooting for being able to bench 225lbs 20+reps, not going to go over that weight for max- I weigh 200lbs atm, shooting to lower to 185). Either way, I think I'm more smoked overall on Blitz days than traditional days.

Question though: I'm working through to a minute, but I had to actually lower the weight to less than 1/3 of my 1-rep max. I tried doing exactly 1/3, but ended up having to stop and rest, so I moved the weight down for the following sets rather than have to put the bar down for 10 seconds. Is this acceptable, or do I need to try harder?

Alex
Unfortunately, without me there to coach you are left to what you "feel"
I am going to tell you Not to do anything else while on the Blitz. The other lifting will give a detrimental affect to Blitzing.
I do not care that you may feel guilty not having a traditional lift day. I totaly reccomend NOT DOING anything else while Blitzing. Your gains will be beyond all expected results. Please read the Performance points again. They are "critical" to the outcomes. Push the 1 minutes without stopping, and I know if you are doing a 1/3 wt. workout you can do a full minute. You must keep the tertiary muscle fibers engaged by NOT STOPIING during that 1 minute. Go as absolutely fast as you can push reps and keep the motion through the 1 minute no matter how "slow" you end up. In a bout 2 weeks you should be smoking the entire minute.
I say you should start with Blitz alone.. You will be amazed, amazed. Dave Boltz

tcush
07-14-2009, 17:31
Blitzzz,

I'm planning to start your program next week, but haven't been able to find your suggested frequency in either the pdf hosted on the main site here or old posts. I am most likely going to do full body circuits. Every other day?

Thanks

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-14-2009, 19:08
Because this is a single thread, I can answer many questions here and many other people can get the answers. First question on frequency.

By Nautilus studies, One requires 48 to 92 hours between total fatique systems. I have seen very good results with a work out every 48 hours and as little as 2 per week.

The fatique levels will be unlike anything you have experienced prior.

Praetorian
07-14-2009, 19:15
Because this is a single thread, I can snswer many questions heere and many other people can get the amswers. First qyestion on frequency.

So doing the same routine daily or twice a day would be detrimental?

BigJimCalhoun
07-14-2009, 19:17
Is it possible to do this program successfully with free-weights? It seemed from the documents that a system such as bowflex would be better.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-14-2009, 21:29
Blitzing is done at such a high rep rate that many pieces of equipment are not appropriate for use. Best results are with cable machines like Bow Flex, Weider Crossbow, Weider Cross Bar platinum, Bio flex. Keiser pneumatic equipment, And Power tech leverage type equipment.

The reason standard stack weights don’t work well is because of the high speed of reps, which cause the weights to free float and limit the rep speed.

Free weights work well but care in exercise design requires LOG and ensuring full range of motion.
Free weights are fine when exercises are designed with most of the motion IN the line of gravity. A good trainer will be able to design the exercises. The advantage of free weights is the "plyometric" effect of the hyper speed reps (the deceleration and acceleration of each rep. Works fine!!

Some detail on the different Machines.

The Blitz system requires detailed weight increases as you progress, and these increases will require 1# increments. With that being the case you may have to use 1 a 2 pound wrist weights to correct the weight.

1. Bow Flex uses power rods that provide 5# incremental increases.

2. Weider Cross Bow uses 10# resisted bars. will need to have 5# and $ one # wts for each arm additional.

3. Weider Cross Bar platinum has 1# incremental changes electrical Box to set resistance.

4. Bio Flex has 10# increments on a slide bar. very smooth and fast

5. Keiser equipment is pneumatic controlled at 1# increments. (excellent machines)

6. Power Tech equipment uses a lever system and plate weights, so weights can be applied as needed. Good machines but may be to heavy at starting weights. ( many other companies are now producing leverage machines )

7. Bow Flex Revolution, looks to be a good option.

There are likely to be more machines that will work, but will have to be researched further. This is just a list to give ideas for setting up a gym, or finding similar equipment.

Blitz

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-14-2009, 21:34
So doing the same routine daily or twice a day would be detrimental?

Will not produce as you may think. Take a good 48 to 92 hours and results will be scary. Blitz

BigJimCalhoun
07-14-2009, 21:41
How often does one do the program? I reviewed the documents and do see it. Does one do all 8 exercises 3 days a week?

abc_123
07-14-2009, 22:13
Blitz,

The limitations of standard cable machines are what I have been experiencing.

How about some free-weight exercises that in your experience work well with your system?

I'm re-habbing my shoulder right now after thowing it out throwing the shot-put (like an idiot) coaching my kids track team ... but when I was going balls-out using your program to the best that the machines at the gym allowed I was VERY happy with the results.

all the best,

abc

dmgedgoods
07-15-2009, 22:47
I am having the same issues as abc 123. I push it on the cable machines, but feel like I am not maximizing the gains. I have not been able to commit fully to the program due to work constraints; however, I have noticed a marked increase in my ruck performance.

If there is a free weight alternative, please enlighten us. It would seem that using the same principal would work with free weights, but I don't want to get carried away.

Shawn

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-16-2009, 07:02
Free weights work well but care in exercise design requires LOG and ensuring full range of motion.
Free weights are fine when exercises are designed with most of the motion IN the line of gravity. A good trainer will be able to design the exercises. The advantage of free weights is the "plyometric" effect of the hyper speed reps (the deceleration and acceleration of each rep. Works fine!!
This previous statement says "yes" to free weights.
Here are some pointers:
1. Blitzing is Blitzing.
2. Design circuits the same (6 to 8 exercises)
3. Ensure each exercise is positioned as to provide the most of the weight's "travel" is in the Line Of Gravity (LOG).
4. The "plyometric" effect is a good advantage of free weights and introduced into the exercises by the hyper speed reps (the deceleration and acceleration of each rep).
5. Pay strict attention to the "preformance Points" I sent you.
6. 20% increses in weight after "goal Reps" are met in 3 circuits of each exercise as it happens.
7. A modification to free weight use is to recalculate your Starting weight to 1/4th of your 1 RM as opposed to 1/3rd. This should decrease problems created be #4.
May the Force be with You. Blitzzz

MILON
07-16-2009, 10:16
Blitzzz,

I've been reading the thread and have a question.

Can you define in the Line of Gravity? I believe I know what this means, but want to make sure I have the right idea.

Thanks,

Milon

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-16-2009, 22:23
Blitzzz,

I've been reading the thread and have a question.

Can you define in the Line of Gravity? I believe I know what this means, but want to make sure I have the right idea.

Thanks,

Milon

Draw an imaginary line straight through you head to toe.
Imagine a weight on that line....then understand that as the weight move up that line it's resistance is the same. to move that weight outside that line will change it resistance.

Okay..If you are standing and are doing a curl. The resistance to your Bicep is increased as the weight moves away (arching) from the body. It's greatest resistance to the bicept is 90 degrees out in front. As you continue to raise the weight toword you it decreases in resistance.

Think of the diifferences of doing a sit up on level ground then on a elevated plan or on a declining plan easier.

Just use apporved exercises and good posture. Okay?

MILON
07-16-2009, 22:38
Would combining bands with free weights create the effect you are looking for regarding the rep rate and preventing the "free float"?

Example:

DB Bench Press w/ Bands

http://www.xlathlete.com/view_exercise2.jsp?exercise_id=332

If applicable, the variable resistance is also very beneficial, but one must account for the added resistance of the bands.

We purchase bands from this site:

www.ironwoodyfitness.com

Its the best price I could find for this type of band.

Milon

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-17-2009, 06:24
Milon, You are thinking, and that's not a bad thing (LOL).
Bands are wonderful on their own. I see where you're heading with this, and would require some really accurate measuring to determene the added resistance. I had used this technique to get wall pully weights to "return" faster for Blitzing in the clinic, and it worked well.
The band resistance is and can be rated, but differs by the length of pull. So I say continue with what you're doing/thinking, but here are a couple of thoughts on this approach.
use the least resistant band that will work.
In Blitzing, a 1# weight increase over the 20% increase will adversely affect progress, so beware of your rep speeds.
Also the length of the bands should not affect the resistance of the exercise until the last few degrees of movement to assist return.

The resistance at the end of acceleration movement should not exceed (overly) the end resistance on the deceleration end.

It will assist on those machines with cabled weights, but the plyometric effect of "free" weight speeds is very beneficial to the system.

Thanks for your input, I like it. The Blitz is very different and will take some different thinking.

Dave

Praetorian
07-20-2009, 15:47
I have one rotator cuff that doesnt function correctly. I really cant raise my left arm much beyond eye level.

I used to do french curls for tricep work (which I think may be what screwed up my RC in the first place) but I obviously cant anymore.

Can anybody recommend a different tricep isolating exercise using free weights or bungee bands?

Thanks.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-20-2009, 18:16
STARTING POSITION: Standing, facing the Latpull bar., Place hands shoulder width apart grasping the Bar.
Position youself with elbows at you side, palms down and press the bar down and return up to about chest hight (don't move you're elbows.

Second exercise you can do are Kick backs. One arm at a time, one knee and one hand one a weight brnch(leaning foreward) allow the exercise arm to Hang straight toward the ground, then bring weight straight upto about your chest and then straighten your arm back toward your back (buttocks), and return.

Addtionally, you can lie face down on the bench with the affected arm reaching the floor (usually with bent elbow) then you can push/pull a light weight along the floor as far over your head as minimul pain allows. Always using this one to increase the ROM of that shoulder. This takes the RC out of the Line of gravity and eliminates compensation. You must focus on moving the weight with only shoulder and no trapezius involment.

These should help,.. Dave

Praetorian
07-20-2009, 23:08
STARTING POSITION: Standing, facing the Latpull bar., Place hands shoulder width apart grasping the Bar.
Position youself with elbows at you side, palms down and press the bar down and return up to about chest hight (don't move you're elbows.

Second exercise you can do are Kick backs. One arm at a time, one knee and one hand one a weight brnch(leaning foreward) allow the exercise arm to Hang straight toward the ground, then bring weight straight upto about your chest and then straighten your arm back toward your back (buttocks), and return.

Addtionally, you can lie face down on the bench with the affected arm reaching the floor (usually with bent elbow) then you can push/pull a light weight along the floor as far over your head as minimul pain allows. Always using this one to increase the ROM of that shoulder. This takes the RC out of the Line of gravity and eliminates compensation. You must focus on moving the weight with only shoulder and no trapezius involment.

These should help,.. Dave
Thanks. I will give these a shot.

Thanks again for all your help! Much Appreciated.

Sean
07-21-2009, 09:55
Blitzzz,

Looking at your program, I'm concerned about one very major aspect, and that is your advocation, or rather insistence, on the use of cable/pulley type machines for most exercises. Such machines eliminate the use of stabilzer muscles, as the machine ensures that the weight moves along a predetermined path. This weakens the body overall, and increases the chance of injury during outside-the-gym activities (Rucking is a good example, as is dynamic urban movement).

Also, you state that you want to eliminate the "free float" aspect of free weights. The "free float" is exactly the desired effect in many Olympic lifts, especially the Clean, wherein one is pulling the weight to a point, dropping under it, and catching it while it is practically weightless, due to momentum. If a clean is missed, it is dropped, with no pulleys or cables to control its movement. Likewise, if a clean is performed, it is done with only the tissue and bone of the lifter to stabilize and move the weight, not a cable or pulley or lifting glove in sight. (They tend to clutter up the platform)

I'm not trying to step on any toes, I just think the Blitzzz program has some glaring flaws that make it impractical for many of the men and women here.

JumpinJoe1010
07-21-2009, 10:19
January---------------------------------May

Bench Press (Free Weights)
Weight 55-------------------------------80
Reps 66/64------------------------------82/86/82

Squat (Machine)

Weight 110------------------------------140
Reps 47/48------------------------------51/55/51

Curls (Free Weights)

Weight 35-------------------------------50
Reps 42/44------------------------------75/79/79

Leg Curls (Machine)

Weight 35-------------------------------65
Reps 48/47------------------------------53/54/53

Arm Rows (Machine)

Weight 65-------------------------------80
Reps 50/50------------------------------73/75/70

Calf Raises (Machine)

Weight 70-------------------------------95
Reps 50/51-----------------------------60/65/67

Situps

Start
50 x 3 sets (Non Timed)

Finish
80 x 3 Sets (Non Timed)

When you read these results, I began in January and end results in May.

I began with leg extensions in the mix but after being recommended to drop that particular exercise, due to overworking the same muscles in different exercise, I dropped that in my work out and never added a replacement. Couldn't quite find an exercise that would fit.

The first workout was refreshing but tiring with only two circuits, where as the next week when I began three circuits I wanted to puke at the end. I did get over that hurdle, but was exhausted non the less.

I had two workouts a week which were roughly 45 minutes a session. Each station was 1 minute with one minute rest between exercises, except for the sit-up. I chose sit-ups because for the obvious reason I wanted to be good at sit-ups. It was not the exercise recommended, but worked non the less.

The biggest challenge I found was the machines. My reps were way higher with free weights, but for exercises for the legs, it is was the better choice at the gym for the time and the people I had to work with sharing the equipment.

I would recommend these workouts for anyone wanting to increase their endurance. It is a quick workout to be added to an overall PT plan.:lifter

I want to thank Dave for the help in getting started and working out the process for me.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-21-2009, 15:40
Joe, Looks like you're doing Okay with the Blitz . Thanks for the words. Blitz maintenance is about once a month. You won't lose any thing.

Now to SEAN: Any fears you may have about the Blitz are as all the other "professionals" I have discussed it with.
First if I didn't write it clearly enough Free Weights are fine. Read the above posts... weights on cables free float at around 60+ reps/min.
Since you have never "Blitzed", you misgivings should not be stated as fact. I have used the Blitz for 17 years with NO injuries at all, Neither Tendon, ligament, or Muscle.
You're assumptions are based on what information you recieved from the same trough we all feed from in schools.
All known systems are based on what you know. Not so the Blitz. It is so far outside the box it is hard for the average Muscle head to grasp.
Everyone has to be discouraged to do other exercises while doing Blitz.
I will tell you that You can not duplicate the results of this system with any thing you know.
A challenge to all trainers and coaches is to train any number of your personel until you can no longer get them any stronger. Give them to me and i will return then to you A minimum of 20% stronger and with at least twice the anaerobic and aerobic endurance. EVERYONE.
Sean PM me and I will give you my personal phone number and we can talk.
On this thread don't critisize that which you know nothing.
A quick question. Can you do double leg extensions with 270lbs at 142 reps/min
The math is over 38,000 lbs of weight movede in one minute. Do it for three circuits,.. Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-21-2009, 15:48
Just for fun...Name A stabilizer muscle. Just one. Blitzzz

A note to all else...Sean's remarks are mostley unfounded and should not to be taken seriously.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-21-2009, 16:01
Blitzing is done at around 400 degrees per second. Alters with each individual but that is the reason for cable type machines.

Cable machines can be directed in a line but can be unstable as well.

Answer to the prevous question is...there are no "stabilizer" muscles.
All muscles cross joints (except Heart) and there fore stabilize the joints.
The greatest strength of the Blitz is that it strengthens the tertiary fibers which increase joint strength.
Please ask any questions you may have but make no comments about that which you have no reference.

Sean
07-21-2009, 18:06
I'll try to answer in one post the questions posed in three.

First, regarding stabilizer muscles, I was referring to the segmental stabilizers (multifidus) located along the spine that ensure spinal alignment during complex, multijoint movements such as Olympic and Power lifts, and basic functional movements. The segmental stabilzers as well as the muscles of the trunk (the core) provide stability, balance, and power, and prevent injury.

On to functional exercises, which will answer why I have no idea if I can hop on the comfy leg extension machine and do 100-plus reps of the same boring, single-joint movement. Basically, functional movements establish motor recruitment patterns which are applicable to daily life. For example, if I'm about to lift a large television and move it somewhere, my body knows to keep the spine straight, bend the legs, and start the movement at the core. It knows this because I deadlift. A lot. Therefore my nervous system is used to the idea of "pick up heavy object off the ground" and I am able to do so without injury. If I need to pick up a heavy box and put it on a high shelf, again my body knows what to do because I do cleans and jerks, and their variants.

Utilizing pulley machines, Bowflexes, and isolation exercises in general does nothing to develop these neuromuscular pathways, making real-life movements like those I mentioned inefficient at best and hazardous at worst. I have never been in a situation where I've had to sit in a chair and move my legs against resistance from the knee down. I do, however, have to lift up heavy objects all the time, sometimes even over my head. Therefore, I see little use for the leg extension machine. However, if one makes their living going to spectator events, the pec fly machine could develop wicked clapping power.

Lastly, most of the tertiary muscles are in your hands and feet. Many deal with fingers and toes, especially the big ones. Hardly helpful in bicep curls, but with enough time on the Blitz, I guess I could become a Thumb War champ.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-21-2009, 19:19
[/QUOTE]Lastly, most of the tertiary muscles are in your hands and feet. Many deal with fingers and toes, especially the big ones. Hardly helpful in bicep curls, but with enough time on the Blitz, I guess I could become a Thumb War champ.[/QUOTE]

Your arguments are less than the usual. What you call stabilizer muscles are muscles that like all others , cross joints and contract as needed. Not limited to the spine unless you can name other muscles that bend and flex the spine.
The stabilization of the joints is done by the muscles that move them. Muscles do an all or nothing contraction. Muscle recruitment determines amount and speed.
Not to be confused with Primary, secondary, and tertiary fibers, each bundle has three types of muscle Two phasic and one tonic, but of each of those they are prioritized by the brain (from birth) to be Primary, secondary, and tertiary in order of use.
This system is the only system to strengthen the tertiary system on the planet.
After Blitzing one can do any of the other "functional" events wihout the normal tissue failures. Yes you will be much more resistant to injury, much stronger, and have much more endurance than you have ever had. It is a promise I can keep. that it regardless of ANY other method of exercise you can come up with. These are facts you can not disprove. I would suggest you get as strong as you can with any system you want , and on completion of that I WILL MAKE YOU STRONGER.
You do not know this system so keep you frailties to youself. Go to the other thread where you conventional trainers can talk of the benefits of Cross Fit, P90X, Mountian Fitness, the , SEAL's workout Book. It's all the same just different names. None develope the tertiary system. It a place in your body you have never been,
Keep trying. Go talk to MILON.

I can take the World's Strongest Man and make him stronger (more Powerful_

dac
07-21-2009, 20:29
Sean, I think it's worth pointing out that nobody said you have to do the Blitz workout for the rest of your life.

I can appreciate the argument that exercise mimicking real-world work creates neural pathways and is "better" but that is looking at the problem in a vacuum. The Blitz workout is one piece of a good overall plan. Dead-lifts and cleans are great, but anybody can plateau. When you hit your next one give Blitz a try and come back and post your results here.

Sean
07-21-2009, 21:42
Your arguments are less than the usual. What you call stabilizer muscles are muscles that like all others , cross joints and contract as needed. Not limited to the spine unless you can name other muscles that bend and flex the spine.
The stabilization of the joints is done by the muscles that move them. Muscles do an all or nothing contraction. Muscle recruitment determines amount and speed.
Not to be confused with Primary, secondary, and tertiary fibers, each bundle has three types of muscle Two phasic and one tonic, but of each of those they are prioritized by the brain (from birth) to be Primary, secondary, and tertiary in order of use.
This system is the only system to strengthen the tertiary system on the planet.
After Blitzing one can do any of the other "functional" events wihout the normal tissue failures. Yes you will be much more resistant to injury, much stronger, and have much more endurance than you have ever had. It is a promise I can keep. that it regardless of ANY other method of exercise you can come up with. These are facts you can not disprove. I would suggest you get as strong as you can with any system you want , and on completion of that I WILL MAKE YOU STRONGER.
You do not know this system so keep you frailties to youself. Go to the other thread where you conventional trainers can talk of the benefits of Cross Fit, P90X, Mountian Fitness, the , SEAL's workout Book. It's all the same just different names. None develope the tertiary system. It a place in your body you have never been,
Keep trying. Go talk to MILON.

I can take the World's Strongest Man and make him stronger (more Powerful_

Anytime someone criticizes your program or points out a flaw, you end up sounding like either a used car salesman or a religious zealot. Tell me when you help the World's Strongest Man reach his full potential, it might lend your precious Blitz some legitimacy. Meanwhile, Crossfit enjoys the endorsement of professional athletes, fighters, soldiers, law enforcement officers, firefighters, and several others who actually use their entire bodies to make a living. The day I see an Olympian credit his success to your program, I'll donate my Kettlebell set to charity. I may even throw in my Power Rings.

One final note: I think a Russian named Ivan Drago used your program, with its cables and pulleys, and threw some free weights in to spice things up. I recall him being beaten by an American who trained in a barn with logs and stuff. How can that be?

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-21-2009, 22:39
You can't critisize something or Point out a flaw of something you know nothing about.
Critisize what you know. You haven't a clue about this system. It has been used without fail for over 17 years. That includes 4 years in Ft Campbell's Physical Therapy dept with Unparalleled success. People were able to return to work after a year and a half without running and Maxing there PT Runs.
You taking this so personal, indicates a fault in your belief system. You are on to nothing new. Your comments here have no weight. There is no Flaw in this system. Certianly none you would have any knowledge of.
I'm glad you're happy with what you do, stick with it, be happy.
You are argueing on assumptions you are making of my system.
You have no facts.
Car salesman or not, I can promise what I say about the results of this system are always thus. Have never failed, and are so outside the box, that Exercise phyiolgists, Athletic Trainers, PTs, and coaches are the hardest to get through to. Love being Mired in the Mundane.
The comment on the world's strongest man is to assure you of my confidence in this system. No one has ever done this system for over 6 weeks that didn't achieve the goals I have promised. Blitzzz

Irishsquid
07-22-2009, 00:47
Sean, I think it's worth pointing out that nobody said you have to do the Blitz workout for the rest of your life.

I can appreciate the argument that exercise mimicking real-world work creates neural pathways and is "better" but that is looking at the problem in a vacuum. The Blitz workout is one piece of a good overall plan. Dead-lifts and cleans are great, but anybody can plateau. When you hit your next one give Blitz a try and come back and post your results here.

That is my plan to test out the Blitz system. I am starting to plateau with Crossfit...so if/when I stop seeing any progress, I'm going to switch over to Blitz, and use that as the test. If I start getting stronger/faster/more powerful again, I'll be sold.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-22-2009, 05:27
Just a Note; When you start the Blitz, try not to do anything else for best results.
I know it make one feel guilty but it works and works well. Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-22-2009, 09:20
At last count there are 81 folks on this site that have recieved Blitz materials sent to them by me. I don't have a number of any that downloaded from the site.
To all the users of this system a status up date would be appreciated. E-mail or post is fine. Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-22-2009, 14:27
Our young weight lifter would argue a point based on fiction.
Hell he even failed to mention beating on side of beef too.
Drago is played by Dolph Lungren in the "Rocky"movie. I quess we can equate Rocky's routine with Cross Fit.

Now the Blitz is really under fire.
Lord knows the Crossfit Guy isn't a Used Car (system) salesman.
He makes a lot more money selling his than I do Giving mine.
Blitzzz

Team Sergeant
07-22-2009, 16:09
You can't critisize something or Point out a flaw of something you know nothing about.
Critisize what you know. You haven't a clue about this system. It has been used without fail for over 17 years. That includes 4 years in Ft Campbell's Physical Therapy dept with Unparalleled success. People were able to return to work after a year and a half without running and Maxing there PT Runs.
You taking this so personal, indicates a fault in your belief system. You are on to nothing new. Your comments here have no weight. There is no Flaw in this system. Certianly none you would have any knowledge of.
I'm glad you're happy with what you do, stick with it, be happy.
You are argueing on assumptions you are making of my system.
You have no facts.
Car salesman or not, I can promise what I say about the results of this system are always thus. Have never failed, and are so outside the box, that Exercise phyiolgists, Athletic Trainers, PTs, and coaches are the hardest to get through to. Love being Mired in the Mundane.
The comment on the world's strongest man is to assure you of my confidence in this system. No one has ever done this system for over 6 weeks that didn't achieve the goals I have promised. Blitzzz

Blitzzz,

I think Sean has made a few good points, especially the cross fit reference. Before anyone is going to buy your "system" it needs to first prove itself, and not with just you.;)

TS

MILON
07-22-2009, 18:49
Sean:
Your concern regarding functional exercises is well founded and necessary in any program aimed at developing athletic performance. Transfer of training adaptations to real world performance is absolutely essential. This is done by using a majority of training methods that mimic what the athlete would be doing during practices and especially events. Performing leg extensions on a machine will have very little transfer to a 3-5 second rush, obviously. I believe this is a flaw of the Blitz program as well, but since specificity is not address, I wouldn’t consider athletic development the goal.

Dac is right. No one said you had to do the program and if you’re already performing Olympic lifts, it may not be the best for you anyway. However, he is also right that everyone plateaus, regardless of the program design. A short Blitz cycle (say 3-4 weeks) or adding blitz circuits to your current program may be beneficial for you, if you are interested. IMHO, Blitz can be “one piece of a good overall plan” to further ones athleticism.

Role of Muscles
Stabilizer: “Muscles that surround the joint or body part and contract to fixate or stabilize the area to enable another limb or body segment to exert force and move; known as fixators, they are essential in establishing a relatively firm base for the more distal joints to work from when carrying out movements”. (Floyd & Thompson, Manual of Structural Kinesiology, pg 31)

So, sean, blitz is right you cannot name one stabilizer muscle because any muscle may act in this role. However, the point you are making is absolutely correct.

We can be in disagreement about what a stabilizer is, but the underlying benefit being alluding to is the proprioceptive and kinesthetic feedback received when using free weights. This cannot be achieved nearly as well by using solely machine weights.

As its been clearly stated, free weights can be used with Blitz, but find a “good trainer” to design the program for you. Sean, your remarks are certainly not unfounded, but ensure you do your research. Reference sources if needed. It always helps your cause.

Just my .02

MILON

MILON
07-22-2009, 18:57
Blitz:
I imagine when you use the terms “professional”, “average muscle head”, and “conventional trainers” you are referring to me. I am going to express my opinions as a professional in the performance enhance field. Some things a “professional” will NOT do when dealing when training/advising athletes of any kind:

1. Claim your program is the “only one on the planet” to elicit a certain physiological response. Blitz uses large amounts of volume to gain a particular adaptation that can be attained through any high volume program. This is a sales pitch and not necessary if you have the education, experience and data to back up your services.

2. Brag. Blitz is effective, but it’s not that great and its only part of a greater plan to enhance performance specific to the event, which a good coach would be able to design and advise on.

3. Belittle an athlete. Enough said.

4. Give advice without giving your credentials to be doing so. Not having the proper credentials or at least a degree in exercise science or a related subject cause me to question. Maybe this has been stated before and I missed it? So, If I am wrong, please let me know.

5. Claiming your program is better than anything else without data to support it. Human performance is a science and a scientific approach should be taken to training. Promises should not have to be made.

6. Using negative language when referring to others in the field, especially on an open forum. This may be an assumption, but writing “professionals” as such indicates something negative to me. I am also going to assume you didn’t like what these people had to say about blitz.

As a strength coach and a soldier I am passionate about soldier athletes getting quality advice to improve their performance and increase survival. I have already expressed my opinions about the Blitz program on past threads and don’t feel the need to do so again in this one.

Everyone:

If anyone would like to further discuss training issues of any kind, let me know. As Blitz said, “go talk to MILON”.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-22-2009, 19:55
I appreciate the writings that may assist in a defense of the Blitz.
I grant the lack of documentation, is a need for many to accept something this new. there is really no other system that delivers these results.
It has been used for over 17 years. many attempts have been made to reach the professional levels but "they" spend too much money for what ever program they use now and are not willing to gamble on something seemingly so unlikely as the blitz.

regardless of the documentation or lack of, the results have always been consistant and never less than the 20% best over lifetime best. Endurance levels are over doubled. I have witnessed this for over 17 years in private uses and in A Physical Therapy clinic.
This is never a Sales pitch , it is a Brag, as the consistency is very specific and fined tuned.
Joint protection is greatly enhanced.
I have delt with Athletic trainers, Coaches, Exercise Physiologist, and PT's for a long time. The suggested fear and worries expressed here have been addressed many times over.
A simple list includes No overuse syndrome
No Ligament Sprains or ruptures
No tendonitis,strains, or ruptures
No cartilage damage
No DOMS
I feel sometimes that the results should be reduced for those who won't accept these. It would be more in line with the "norm" to be sore after workouts and to suffer tendonitis or tendon tears.
As to full body exercises that is made easier when all the parts are so much stronger and with the greater endurance.

I'll let the experts here who have never used this system and can so rightly judge it based on what they do know have at it. Any one still interested in the system can get it from me by E- mail. Those of you presently useing it , do send some status update as I may be able to eventually convince the flat worlders of it greatness. A salute to you all. BLITZZZ

abc_123
07-23-2009, 18:34
Blitz-

I'm one of the guys you sent stuff to. Was working out generally using exercises and philosophy of rosstraining.com . Liked it. From what I see it is very similar to CrossFit but not exactly. Great philosopy emphasis on conditioning as well as strength. Compound, "non-standard" exercises.

Made me feel better, strengthened my core, VERY MUCH improved my work capacity and reduced my overall recovery time (no matter what I was doing).

Then I decided to try Blitzing. You seem committed, you aren't selling anything and I wanted to try something different. Had nothing to lose...

The gym that I was workign out at had limitations that made a full go at your program difficult. 1.) very crowded 2.) lack of suitable machines... ( MY mistake was not just moving to free weights for some of the exercies).

Lastly , I am shitty at following instructions and I used too much weight at times with the result being serious DOMS!

IN any event..

I tried to do what you prescribe in the manner that you prescribe... at least for my chest and arms... with the intent on increasing my pushups.

I worked it HARD for probably 5 weeks or so. Kept no records but busted my ass. And got great results.

I was plateau'd on my pushups... and after blitzing I added 12 pushups and maxed. And this is coming from a person who probably maxed the damn pushups one other time in 19 years... even when doing Tabata intervals or what have you... I'm not here to hype your blitz program, but I'm going to be 100% honest.. I was AMAZED at how I pumped out the pushups. I was hoping for an increase but it was way in excess of what I was expecting/hoping for.

I am now working where I can get to a GREAT gym with all kinds of leverage equipment and free weights..or whatever I want... and no crowds. I injured somethign in my shoulder (NOT blitzing) so I can't do a damn thing right now until I get seen by a doc.

As soon as I get healed up I'm going to give it a go and blitz hard. I liked the results on my pushups so I am disappointed to be in a holding pattern to let my inujury heal. (I guess I could just do something for my lower body.... )

Anyway, that's my story.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-23-2009, 19:10
Sorry about your shoulder. after you see the DOc and get an eval, let me know because there is a Blitz SOP for rehab. I can send you one and you can discuss ir with your PT or Doc. Dave (Blitzzz) Boltz

abc_123
07-23-2009, 20:05
Sorry about your shoulder. after you see the DOc and get an eval, let me know because ther id Blitz SOP for rehab. I can send you one and you can discuss ir with your PT or Doc. Dave (Blitzzz) Boltz

Ok Dave, thanks.

My son's track team had no throws coach so I stepped in to help as they had nobody to help them throw the shot. It was all good when doing technique work with them... but they didn't seem to have the whole "total body EFFORT" thing down. So (you know where this is headed...)... Even though it was a kids shotput, I made the fatal mistake of not warming up sufficiently (i.e. twice as much as i did when I was 20years younger) and decided to heave that little shot as far as I possibly could. YEOUCH!. On the positive side.. the kids were suitably impressed.

...and then I did the guy thing and made it worse by only throwing "a couple more" before I decided that I needed to "take a couple of day off".

...yes, exactly two.

... then i threw some more and finially figured out that I was really hurt.

Shoulder hurts just walking (or running) around. Can do some things with no or limited pain but... get on a bench machine (or god forbid grab a dumbell and try and press it) and I get an instant knife in my shoulder followed by lasting dull pain.

Now, I'm just laying low and licking my wounds with a big bottle of Vitamin M, waiting for the morning that I wake up all better.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-23-2009, 20:28
don't push through the pain but Okay to the pain.. Firstly you should ice the heck out of it .Ice til it gets numb then light ranging exercises but no resisted stuff for a couple of weeks. Do see a Doc. Do a light feel through the muscles and see if there is any spot that feels denser or sharper in pain. Then slide through it lightly to identify it's borders (lessening of the dense tissue. then slide lightly to the center and press into it at about 40 lbs/ sq in that's not much hold for a minute and see if you feel the tissue move like a slow worm.. sounds funny but it's Myofacial release and oft times works well with traumatized muscle. It will hurt at first but will subcide. good Luck Dave.

abc_123
07-23-2009, 20:51
don't push through the pain but Okay to the pain.. Firstly you should ice the heck out of it .Ice til it gets numb then light ranging exercises but no resisted stuff for a couple of weeks. Do see a Doc. Do a light feel through the muscles and see if there is any spot that feels denser or sharper in pain. Then slide through it lightly to identify it's borders (lessening of the dense tissue. then slide lightly to the center and press into it at about 40 lbs/ sq in that's not much hold for a minute and see if you feel the tissue move like a slow worm.. sounds funny but it's Myofacial release and oft times works well with traumatized muscle. It will hurt at first but will subcide. good Luck Dave.

Oh yeah .. right THERE... No problem finding the real sore spot.

How often to I poke at it like you just told me? Heat before? ROM excercised after? Ice?

greenberetTFS
07-23-2009, 21:13
Blitzzz,

Can you tell me what to do after surgery?................:confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

Praetorian
07-23-2009, 22:10
Ive only been doing this about two weeks now, but my bad shoulder isnt hurting as bad as it was before I started. It generally feels more stable as well.

For about the last 9 years or so, if I rolled onto that side of my body in my sleep at night, I would eventually wake up with the shoulder in extreme pain and the rest of the arm would be NUMB or TINGLING down to the fingers... I would be unable to move my arm AT ALL, and my wife would have to sort of push me on my back, elevate the arm and rub the deltoid until it sort of went back into place and the pain subsided.

Last night I rolled onto the arm, and nothing happened. I sort of woke up several times thinking "I should be hurting right now" but it was totally comfortable....

I do shoulders again tomorrow.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-23-2009, 22:14
Oh yeah .. right THERE... No problem finding the real sore spot.

How often to I poke at it like you just told me? Heat before? ROM excercised after? Ice?
Press and hold the center of the dense tissue about every four or five hours too much is too much and the released tissue needs time to release fluids and circulate blood. Dave
Use ice all the time no heat.

dac
07-24-2009, 11:10
4. Give advice without giving your credentials to be doing so. Not having the proper credentials or at least a degree in exercise science or a related subject cause me to question. Maybe this has been stated before and I missed it? So, If I am wrong, please let me know.

I would argue that it is as much art as science. The anatomy and kinesiology are definitely scientific, but when every person has different goals, limits, body type, etc, exercise science is not very precise.

As with all experts, some are great, some need to be freed up to seek new opportunity. YMMV.

greenberetTFS
07-24-2009, 11:26
I appreciate the writings that may assist in a defense of the Blitz.
I grant the lack of documentation, is a need for many to acept something this new. there is really no other system that delivers these results.
It has been used for over 17 years. many attempts have been made to reach the professional levels but "they" spend too much money for what ever program they use now and are not willing to gamble on something seemingly so unlikely as the blitz.

regardless of the documentation or lack of, the results have always been consistant and never less than the 20% best over lifetime best. Endurance levels are over doubled. I have witnessed this for over 17 years in private uses and in A Physical Therapy clinic.
This is never a Sales pitch , it is a Brag, as the consistancy is very specific and fined tuned.
Joint protection is greatly inhanced.
I have delt with Athletic trainers, Coaches, exercise Phyiologist, and PT's for a long time. The suggested fear and worries expressed here have been addressed many times over.
A simple list includes No overuse syndrome
No Ligament Sprains or ruptures
No tendonitis,strains, or ruptures
No cartilage damage
No DOMS
I feel sometimes that the results should be reduced for those who won't accept these. It would be more in line with the "norm" to be sore after workouts and to suffer tendonitis or tendon tears.
As to full body exercises that is made easier when all the parts are so much stronger and with the greater endurance.

I'll let the experts here who have never used this system and can so rightly judge it based on what they do know have at it. Any one still interested in the system can get it from me by E- mail. Those of you presently useing it , do send some status update as I may be able to eventually convince the flat worlders of it greatness. A salute to you all. BLITZZZ

Blitzzz,

Don't let Sean start to set you up for a pissing contest......:rolleyes: He's not worth it,you know your system works great and if he doesn't, well screw him.....;)

Big Teddy :munchin

MILON
07-24-2009, 11:28
Dac,

Very much agreed! Designing of programs definitely has an art to it. The science part comes into play when we want to find the results of any given program. Testing before and after is crucial for each individual athlete. Without this we dont know if we are getting the results wanted.

MILON

NousDefionsDoc
07-24-2009, 20:52
Where is this program?

abc_123
07-24-2009, 21:05
Press and hold the center of the dense tissue about every four or five hours too much is too much and the released tissue needs time to release fluids and circulate blood. Dave
Use ice all the time no heat.

I can do that.

straight and to the point.

you got it, boss. dealing with the pain is not the issue.. i just need someone to tell me when I need to listen to the pain or ignore it. Thanks.

Hey, you do know that Jim Beam works just as well as motrin to reduce pain.... not sure of it's anti inflammitory abilities though...My shoulder doesn't hurt at all right now!!! just thought you'd want to know...

END OF THREAD HIJACKK!!!

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-24-2009, 21:09
'Ole Jim is usually good for some pain. It causes me to do painful things. LOL

olhamada
07-30-2009, 18:26
I've gotta say, at first I was skeptical about Blitz's claims, but after seeing it in action/trying it out, it is everything Blitz says it is. In what other exercise do you move over 15,000 pounds in one minute without injury while getting an incredible aerobic and strengthening workout? (Yes, I said over 15,000 pounds in one minute).

Blitz was generous and kind enough to meet me, tell me the history and rationale, design a workout program for me, and take me through a cycle of it yesterday. After just three exercises and three minitues (one half of one cycle), I was winded, my muscles were screaming, and my heart rate was as high as if I had been sprinting all out for three minutes.

Blitz, thank you for your time, patience, and discovery. I can't wait to see what happens over the next 8 weeks.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-02-2009, 09:29
Blitz letter to clients

I am very glad that you are using the Blitz. I will give you the best advice I can offer, and you may not believe what I'm passing on to you.

Before I start let me just add that the things you are doing for a total workout are just fine. Having said that, my advice is to stop all other activities except moderate rucks about twice a week for your carry posture and foot conditioning. Delay all the other stuff and work a Blitz program for eight weeks. Why, you are wondering? I promise you the absolute best ever conditioning you will ever acquire by just Blitzing alone. The Blitz, run with 6 to 8 exercises and done as written, will produce unimaginable strength and endurance.

For you to achieve the max from the system, you build a “circuit” of 6 to 8 exercises. Work to do three circuits per workout. Do all exercises and circuits as written and pay attention the performance points (included), and read your numbers as the examples I sent.

EXAMPLE OF A CIRCUIT

1. Seated Lat Pulls,
2. Seated rows,
3. Chest press,
4.Half squats,
5. Hamstring curls,
6. Bicep curls,
7. Seated straight heel raises on a leg press,
8 Seated knee extensions.

1st phase of the Blitz is day one. On the first day you will do each exercise of the circuit. On each exercise you will determine “start weight” and “Goal” reps for each exercise. (As written)AND burn one minute each.

2nd phase is the endurance phase and will take about two and half weeks (your goal here is to be doing three circuits at start levels),

3rd phase is the strengthening phase and should be sufficient at end of the 8th week. (Note; no one has ever maxed this system out. Do this religiously and the results will be unmatched by all the other things you are trying now).

After the 8th week of Blitz, return to any of the other things you wish to be proficient in Rucking, Swimming, sprinting, etc, but remember you will then be able to do them with tremendous strength and endurance with no worry of tendon/ligament strains or tears.

Just an aside, most people can start blitzing without warm ups or other pre conditioning. You WILL NOT loose out by stopping all other activities while Blitzing the 8 weeks.

I intensely wish you the best, and don't progress the Blitz, let it progress you.
Dave Boltz

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-07-2009, 10:36
I would really like to have either here or by PM any blitz follow up or status reports on blitz usage. there are over 90 folks on this site that have aquired Blitz material. I have a need for follow up data. Thanks Blitzzz

dac
08-07-2009, 11:05
I have a comment and a question.

I am looking forward to Blitzing because I hit a plateau, I have been waiting to start until I moved but that is finished now and I am ready to start Blitzing. I can take very detailed notes if you like.

Here is my question. Rugby practice is starting this month and I will be getting back to that also. The practices are not very strenuous, mainly running and drills. I know that doing anything concurrent with Blitz will reduce the effectiveness. Should I go ahead and start Blitzing and accept the reduced gains or should I wait until the season is over? (~4 months)

thanks

david

jlcoad
08-07-2009, 12:19
because there is a Blitz SOP for rehab. I can send you one and you can discuss ir with your PT or Doc. Dave (Blitzzz) Boltz

Blitzzz, I have been reading this thread off and on since I joined this site last month and your system really interests me. My goal was to be able to do 60 on my 60th next January. Well that goal is now in jeopardy. I had neck surgery last December to ream out some vertebrae and the rehab is taking a lot more time than I like. I have been doing a light chest, arms and shoulder workout with a pair of 35lb dumbbells and a jar of Percocet - probably too heavy - but the workout seems to be helping slightly - not enough help and too much pain.
Anyway after reading about your system I can see where this might be the answer I have been looking for.
Just wanted to add this to all the other praise you have been getting. I'll try to keep accurate records and let you know the results.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-07-2009, 22:51
DAC, The first two weeks and half is about where the "endurance phase" runs it's course and you start weight increases.(strengthening phase)
With the Rugby work outs just beware of injurys. The blitz will work well, reduces expectations are still better than you may imagine. Dave

dac
08-11-2009, 13:18
I did day 1 yesterday. I didn't know what to expect as far as level of exertion so I was not properly prepared. (It should be easy lifting such light weights, no?) I'm sure my weights will need to be adjusted but I didn't feel like figuring out my max on a cable machine and dividing by three; I made an educated guess and let it rock. My lat pull machine lets the weights free-float too much so that slowed me down quite a bit on that exercise.

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised but at the same time I hate you. ;) I thought I was going to barf after the first circuit so I called it quits. Wednesday I will go for two circuits.

Exercise | Weight |Reps
-------------------------------
Lat Pulls | 80 | 55
Seated Rows | 70 | 59
Chest Press | 100 | 62
Half Squats | 0 | 82
Hamstring Curls | 50 | 50
Bicep Curls | 35 | 51
Calf Raises | 0 | 61
Knee Extensions | 50 | 59

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-11-2009, 15:37
I did day 1 yesterday. I didn't know what to expect as far as level of exertion so I was not properly prepared. (It should be easy lifting such light weights, no?) I'm sure my weights will need to be adjusted but I didn't feel like figuring out my max on a cable machine and dividing by three; I made an educated guess and let it rock. My lat pull machine lets the weights free-float too much so that slowed me down quite a bit on that exercise.

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised but at the same time I hate you. ;) I thought I was going to barf after the first circuit so I called it quits. Wednesday I will go for two circuits.

Exercise | Weight |Reps
Lat Pulls | 80 | 55 ---Sugest reducing weight to 1/3 your body.
Seated Rows | 70 | 59 ---May drop to 60 lbs and see if reps increase
Chest Press | 100 | 62 --- Unless you bench 300 lbs this is too much.
Half Squats | 0 | 82 ---Seems pretty light (LOL) Try half your body weight on this one.
Hamstring Curls | 50 | 50 ---Adjust weight down by 20% (41.6 lbs)
Bicep Curls | 35 | 51 ---Drop to 25 lbs
Calf Raises | 0 | 61 ---Body weight plus 2/3rds to start
Knee Extensions | 50 | 59 --- Weight look okay but rep speed is really low for Knee extesions Had one guy doing 142 RPMS.
DAC, I'll sugest some changes on this sheet..Okay?

dac
08-11-2009, 17:35
Cool, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. If you don't mind keeping it in the open where others can see I don't mind being your marketing guinea pig. :D

Exercise | Weight |Reps
I am 6'2", 265lbs, probably 15-18% fat but I can do 10 real pull-ups so this weight felt really good except for the plate bounce.

Roger...

It's been a while, but that's not too far off. I will try 85 tomorrow and see what happens. I have ZERO soreness in my chest and shoulders. My hamstrings and calves are a different story.

Half Squats | 0 | 82 ---Seems pretty light (LOL) Try half your body weight on this one.
I don't have a squat machine or leg press, I was just doing freestanding squats down to where my quads were parallel with the ground.

There is a god!

Roger...

Same as squats, I was just using a machine crossbrace to stand on.

Knee Extensions | 50 | 59 --- Weight look okay but rep speed is really low for Knee extesions Had one guy doing 142 RPMS.
Roger, will try harder. Quads aren't sore at all either.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-11-2009, 23:41
Cool, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. If you don't mind keeping it in the open where others can see I don't mind being your marketing guinea pig. :D

Exercise | Weight |Reps
I am 6'2", 265lbs, probably 15-18% fat but I can do 10 real pull-ups so this weight felt really good except for the plate bounce.

Roger...

It's been a while, but that's not too far off. I will try 85 tomorrow and see what happens. I have ZERO soreness in my chest and shoulders. My hamstrings and calves are a different story.

I don't have a squat machine or leg press, I was just doing freestanding squats down to where my quads were parallel with the ground.

There is a god!

Roger...

Same as squats, I was just using a machine crossbrace to stand on.

Roger, will try harder. Quads aren't sore at all either.

Just a little note, most Blitz speeds Have been averaging about 400 degrees per second...What does that mean...That a 90 degree movement like knee extensions should be about 2.366 reps per second where as a hamstring curl is about 130 degree movement and nets about 1.6 reps per second. So never think you're slower doing about half the number of reps in HS curls as knee extensions. Reps are only important to each exercise. Can't compare (you Can) reps of one exercise to reps of another with out calculating the excursion .

Just some thinking ammo...Blitzzz

dac
08-12-2009, 20:31
Okay, I finished day 2. Today was much better, I was properly hydrated but my calves were super sore. I figured I would post the first three sessions and then keep going silently and update you later.

Exercise | Weight | Reps 1 | Reps 2
Lat Pulls | #70 | 61 | 59
Seated Rows | #60 | 65 | 60
Chest Press | #90 | 74 | 62
Half Squats | #0 | 57 | 49
Hamstring Curls | #40 | 48 | 47
Bicep Curls | #25 | 60 | 41
Calf Raises | #0 | 45 | 49
Knee Extensions | #50 | 71 | 66

PS: I tried my damndest to make a properly formatted table but this forum software doesn't seem to support it.

grrthetree
08-12-2009, 20:57
I'm a little skeptical of this program, to be honest. Not to take anything away from the creator or the program itself, but I just can't see this doing anything except changing your routine for a short time while stimulating different aspects of muscular endurance that could be done without making an entire routine of it.

This program doesn't look like something that will truly improve "strength" in the real sense of the word. Also, the exercises prescribed go against everything I've been taught about strength training for two reasons. From what I know, isolation exercises are good additions to programs based on compound movements, so setting up a whole program based on doing circuits of mainly isolation movements doesn't make sense to me. Another thing is that certain exercises and methods leave you more prone to injuries, while the program is designed to strengthen your tendons and joints. What I mean is that it is recommended that you use certain machines, which lock in a fixed range of motion, and exercises like leg extensions, which are proven to be bad for your knees.

So I'm just throwing this out here not to bash or degrade the program or creator, but to state my opinion, and wonder if I can get a better look at it from the designers perspective. So if you could retort some of my statements, I would appreciate it. I'm not trying to set up an argument, though, honest discussion.

The Reaper
08-12-2009, 21:23
I'm a little skeptical of this program, to be honest. Not to take anything away from the creator or the program itself, but I just can't see this doing anything except changing your routine for a short time while stimulating different aspects of muscular endurance that could be done without making an entire routine of it.

This program doesn't look like something that will truly improve "strength" in the real sense of the word. Also, the exercises prescribed go against everything I've been taught about strength training for two reasons. From what I know, isolation exercises are good additions to programs based on compound movements, so setting up a whole program based on doing circuits of mainly isolation movements doesn't make sense to me. Another thing is that certain exercises and methods leave you more prone to injuries, while the program is designed to strengthen your tendons and joints. What I mean is that it is recommended that you use certain machines, which lock in a fixed range of motion, and exercises like leg extensions, which are proven to be bad for your knees.

So I'm just throwing this out here not to bash or degrade the program or creator, but to state my opinion, and wonder if I can get a better look at it from the designers perspective. So if you could retort some of my statements, I would appreciate it. I'm not trying to set up an argument, though, honest discussion.

High school students here should probably neither be seen nor heard. You will learn more with your mouth closed and your ears open.

I recommend that you wait a long while before jumping into a food fight here with both feet.

At 17 or 18, your opinion and experiences carry little weight here. There are a lot of QPs, several physicians, and more than a few people with advanced fitness training available on this board for expert opinions.

Move out, draw fire.

TR

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-12-2009, 22:15
Saved me from going over all that has already been gone over..some folks should read all of the thread.
An aside; There are now 106 members with copies of the Blitz. I think I should be getting some feed back some day...Thanks Dave

Razor
08-13-2009, 09:40
Dave,

To help with dac's problem about not having a machine for his squats and calf raises, could he simply hold dumbells to add weight?

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-13-2009, 10:13
Minus the weight of one's legs, squats are body weight. To Blitz properly He's have to find his !RM half squat with weight (plus his body weight) and then take a third of that.
Example; Can do 1 rep half squat with 250 lbs nd he weighs 200 lbs then total weight is 450. Start weight is around 150 lbs (minus the weight of his legs) about 40 to 50 lbs. So he would squat with about 100 lbs of weight. Doesn't seem like much but at the high reps it will be fine. Is this sounding clear to anyone but me?

dac
08-13-2009, 12:49
Sounds clear, but I don't want to chop off my legs to lose 100lbs. :eek:

The gym I use is the condo complex gym, but I'm only a block away from a large real gym. I'm going to check out the inside and prices, maybe I'll join. I am running into quite a bit of problems on the current equipment. I just can't go any faster without the weights bouncing.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-13-2009, 15:52
When we used it in the Physical therapy dept we had that problem a lot. So patients could not get the complete benefit but they still recovered fast.

Milktrckcopilot
08-17-2009, 18:57
I'm also currently using the program. Tonight was my first session. I really burned out on the third circuit after the first exercise. Blitzz I bought the timer you recommended from Radio Shack, it really came in handy. I'm going to run this program Mon/Wed/Fri.

Exercise/Weight/Reps/Goal Reps

Leg Ext/80/75-79-79/ 81

Barbell Rows/50/75-80-59/ 100

Dumbell Press/25's/69-72-49/ 88

Leg curls/50/42-41-31/ 48 Part of the reason the numbers are low is the machine. Unless you are using heavy weight the machine is slow in it's return during the negative portion of the exercise.

Hammer Curls/5's/74-69-62/ 72

Abs Crunch/70/59-58-63/ 60

abc_123
08-17-2009, 18:59
Blitzz I bought the timer you recommended from Radio Shack, it really came in handy.

and that would be?

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-17-2009, 20:09
abc123 I had mentioned that a elder lady left the PT clinic and joined a local gym to continue her Blitzing. She purchased a timer from Radioshack that she could punch in 1 min and hit the stsrt button to assist with the time Thing.

Milkrckcopilot. here are my thoughts:
Exercise/Weight/Reps/Goal Reps

Leg Ext/80/75-79-79/ 81--------These look good

Barbell Rows/50/75-80-59/ 100---------first two circuits are getting there the third shows you endurance level ( this number will show your endurance improvements.

Dumbell Press/25's/69-72-49/ 88----same as rows

Leg curls/50/42-41-31/ 48 Part of the reason the numbers are low is the machine. Unless you are using heavy weight the machine is slow in it's return during the negative portion of the exercise.-------For that reason you're okay unless you wish to do half squats for the quads instead of extensions you can do them faster

Hammer Curls/5's/74-69-62/ 72-------Goal reps are exceded meaning you may want to recalculate it other wise endurance is comming up.

Good job, Dave Boltz

jlcoad
08-17-2009, 20:14
Dave,

To help with dac's problem about not having a machine for his squats and calf raises, could he simply hold dumbells to add weight?
what's wrong wih using a ruck sack with sand bags or weights for squats and calves?

Never mind. Where are you going to find a ruck that would hold enough weight. How would you put on 200 - 250 lb ruck on your back

Milktrckcopilot
08-17-2009, 21:12
PM sent

Irishsquid
08-17-2009, 22:32
Question:

I'm preparing to attend SFAS. Will be going in the next couple months. I have been doing Crossfit, then switched over to militaryathlete.com, and have just started doing their "SFAS Prep," program. I find it to be an absolutely amazing workout, but it leaves me feeling absolutely drained. Because of this, I find it harder and harder to get up in the mornings, as I work 1600-0200.

1) Would the Blitz protocol be a good workout program to do during my SFAS Prep time?
2) Would I be less fatigued, and more able to perform well at my civilian job in the meantime?

--Irishsquid

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-17-2009, 23:19
Question:

I'm preparing to attend SFAS. Will be going in the next couple months. I have been doing Crossfit, then switched over to militaryathlete.com, and have just started doing their "SFAS Prep," program. I find it to be an absolutely amazing workout, but it leaves me feeling absolutely drained. Because of this, I find it harder and harder to get up in the mornings, as I work 1600-0200.

1) Would the Blitz protocol be a good workout program to do during my SFAS Prep time?
2) Would I be less fatigued, and more able to perform well at my civilian job in the meantime?

--Irishsquid
Eat well, stay hydrated, try to allow 48 hrs between workouts with what ever system you use.
As to the Blitz if done as written you will achieve near double endurance in about 2 and a half weeks. Strength gains will come after that. The Blitz will Fatigue you on a level you have not experienced prior, but recovery times become very fast.
As to performing better at work, I would say yes. Blitzing is highly cardio and elevates metabilism and enhances recovery times. I'd not combine it with other systems as they will slow the Blitz processes. Good luck Blitzzz

Irishsquid
08-17-2009, 23:22
Eat well, stay hydrated, try to allow 48 hrs between workouts with what ever system you use.
As to the Blitz if done as written you will achieve near double endurance in about 2 and a half weeks. trength gains will come after that. The Blitz will Fatigue you on a level you have not experienced prior, but recovery times become very fast.
As to performing better at work, I would say yes. Blitzing is highly cardio and elevates metabilism and enhances recovery times. I'd not combine it with other systems as they will slow the Blitz processes. Good luck Blitzzz

Roger that, and much appreciated! I've decided to stop with the Crossfit-style workouts this month at least, and will start going to the gym at the base before work. I'm going to see how I'm doing on the Blitz protocol after a month, and will give a progress report.

Should I discontinue rucking, or keep going, at least to keep my feet tough?
Also, is there any recommended warmup?

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-18-2009, 06:33
You may want to use a near painless weight. Rucking is a way of life and not something we do once a month or so It become the way we move and patrol. You will need to get so used to it on your back that you feel naked without it... Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-18-2009, 10:31
I saew an infomercial this morning about a piece of equipment that may panout to be an approiate Blitz machine. It is called the "Tower 200" by body by Jake. it looks good thus far.

Razor
08-18-2009, 11:29
what's wrong wih using a ruck sack with sand bags or weights for squats and calves?

Never mind. Where are you going to find a ruck that would hold enough weight. How would you put on 200 - 250 lb ruck on your back

Even without the weight issues (which are partially mitigated by the lower weight used in a Blitzz), IMO dumbells would be a better choice for balance. A ruck would put the weight too far behind one's natural center of gravity. I guess one could supplement the additional weight from the hand-held dumbells with a weighted vest, or rig a behind-the-neck type sling to hang sandbags close to the body.

Just thinking out loud on this.

dac
08-19-2009, 14:14
Completed Day 4 on Monday, tonight is Day 5. Here are results from Monday:

Exercise | Weight | Reps 1 | Reps 2 | Reps 3
Lat Pulls | #70 | 65 | 64 | 59
Seated Rows | #60 | 69 | 64 | 56
Chest Press | #90 | 77 | 72 | 53
Bicep Curls | #25 | 76 | 63 | 59
Half Squats | #0 | 64 | 62 | 53
Hamstring Curls | #40 | 67 | 61 | 61
Knee Extensions | #50 | 74 | 75 | 69
Crunches | #0 | 66 | 45 | 40

Some notes:

1. My calves were still really tight from Friday so I switched those out for crunches.
2. I don't think I need any extra weight for free standing squats, as you can see from the numbers.
3. The Lat/Row machine just can't go faster than ~1/sec without bouncing the weights.
4. I had previously been doing front and side hanging knee raises for abs and apparently I have no endurance there. :(
5. I updated the tracking spreadsheet to make it a little prettier and have all 8 weeks on two printed pages.

Irishsquid
08-19-2009, 16:22
Did day 1 yesterday. It hurt, a lot worse than I expected.

I am more than a little sore today, so maybe I should drop the weight a little bit?

I'm quickly realizing that while I've gotten considerably stronger through CF, my endurance absolutely sucks.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-19-2009, 16:27
Are you doing squats with 0 weights added to body? My suggestion to Abs are seated with your bact to the latpullbar, pull the weight down to the front of your chest ( you can do it standing and then sit down) hold the weights there and crunch without bending at the waist. Tha actual movement is about 3 inches.. You will be able to do many, many.... Blitzzz

And a note to Irishsquid

Read the instructions and pay close attention to the Start weight determination..!/3 of what you can push once. weights are very important part of the program, and soreness does not withthe proper weights. Later be careful when increasing weight figure as written and round down if the weights don't come out to what you have available. remember that at around 100 reps a min 1lb is equal to 100 lbs of work added to the work you are already doing. Blitzzz

Irishsquid
08-19-2009, 18:03
Later be careful when increasing weight figure as written and round down if the weights don't come out to what you have available.

That might be the problem...I rounded up. On everything but bench press, I was making right at 60 reps a minute. Hard to get anything more than that from the machines I have available to me...might be solving that problem soon, though.

Milktrckcopilot
08-19-2009, 19:39
Tonight was Day 2.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext/80/81-82-86

Barbell Rows/50/89- 76-58 ( I hate this exercise) Last session I did 75-80-59

Dumbell Press/25/73-70-57

Leg Curls/50/43-41-41

Hammer Curls 5/80-73-59 ( I scored my reps again and my new goal is 96)

Abs/70/60-59-56

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-19-2009, 19:48
Tonight was Day 2.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext/80/81-82-86 ---What is your goal reps here? this numbers are low to high wrong. may need to relook start weight.

Barbell Rows/50/89- 76-58 ( I hate this exercise) Last session I did 75-80-59

Dumbell Press/25/73-70-57

Leg Curls/50/43-41-41

Hammer Curls 5/80-73-59 ( I scored my reps again and my new goal is 96)

Abs/70/60-59-56

I'd say drop to two circuits for the next two sessions and then jump up to three. First phase is building endurance at warp speed. You aren't dropping below 40 per min but you're not reaching 215 degrees per sec either, and many times that is due to equipment slowing the work. Looking pretty good so far.

dac
08-19-2009, 20:36
Are you doing squats with 0 weights added to body? My suggestion to Abs are seated with your bact to the latpullbar, pull the weight down to the front of your chest ( you can do it standing and then sit down) hold the weights there and crunch without bending at the waist. Tha actual movement is about 3 inches.. You will be able to do many, many.... Blitzzz

Okay, I'll give that ab method a shot on Friday, what weight do you recommend?

With squats I have no machines in this gym so I am just free standing and going down until my knees are about 100 degrees. (not quite parallel to the ground)

Milktrckcopilot
08-19-2009, 21:27
I'd say drop to two circuits for the next two sessions and then jump up to three. First phase is building endurance at warp speed. You aren't dropping below 40 per min but you're not reaching 215 degrees per sec either, and many times that is due to equipment slowing the work. Looking pretty good so far.

Roger, Wilco

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-19-2009, 22:19
Okay, I'll give that ab method a shot on Friday, what weight do you recommend?

With squats I have no machines in this gym so I am just free standing and going down until my knees are about 100 degrees. (not quite parallel to the ground)

1/3 of what you can pull down in a crunch
.On squats I suggest using a weight Bench to squat to. Blitzzz

dac
08-20-2009, 08:53
On squats I suggest using a weight Bench to squat to.

Can you clarify please? Do you mean like sitting down on a bench?

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-20-2009, 09:19
Can you clarify please? Do you mean like sitting down on a bench?

Don't rest on ti but bounce off of it ...used as a stop measure, particularly in the weaker reps. (the end zone)

Irishsquid
08-21-2009, 00:24
I'm now using considerably less than 1/3 of my 1rm for the bench press, and still can't seem to get much more than 40 reps in a minute. Might just take a lot of work for my upper body endurance to catch up with strength?

Bench press and "Military press," are the only things I'm having this problem with.

It should also be noted I'm using free-weights for these two lifts, as there are only 1 "machine," for each of these at the gym I go to, and said machines get cranky and "lock" the weights if I try to press too quickly.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-21-2009, 07:04
Working two of the same muscle in one circuit is discouraged. In your case military press and brenc press both blitz the triceps. too much for the triceps. Pick one... Dave

Milktrckcopilot
08-21-2009, 19:05
Day 3

I adjusted the workout from 3 circuits to 2 as instructed.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext./80/83-82

Barbell Rows/50/93-83

Dumbell Press/25's/75-74

Leg Curls/50/43-41 If it's ok with Blitzz, I'm going to try 60lbs. The weight will
return(negative portion) quicker since it's heavier and I should be able to up my reps.

Hammer Curls/5's/74-72

Abs/70/58-60 (this is one of those exercises that is slow in the return due to the light weight, should I increase slightly?)

Milktrckcopilot
08-24-2009, 19:27
I started out really strong tonight. The 2nd set of barbell rows fried my biceps which hurt my hammer curls. I was trying a different grip on the leg curl machine which explains the poor result on the 2nd circuit. Here are my numbers...

Weight/Exercise/Reps/Goal Reps

80/Leg Ext/86-88/81

50/Barbell Rows/102-79/100

25's/ dumbell press/ 86-87/88

50/Leg curls/43-32/48

5's/Hammer curls/88-58/96

70/abs/66-64/60

Blitzzz, this was my 2nd day of doing only 2 circuits as per your instructions. Do you want me to make it 3 circuits for Wed. and Friday's sessions?

Irishsquid
08-24-2009, 20:02
Working two of the same muscle in one circuit is discouraged. In your case military press and brenc press both blitz the triceps. too much for the triceps. Pick one... Dave

Having a bit of trouble deciding WHAT exercises to put in the circuit. I know I'll need bench press and lat pulls. I'm thinking shrugs, as well.

I am having to fight the temptation to throw more triceps stuff in there, as triceps is the place I need the most work.

What other exercises would you recommend I throw in there, as someone who is getting ready for SFAS?

Also, I know you say not to do this with another program...does that include calisthenics? As of now, I'm doing a fair number of flutter-kicks and such, to build the hip flexors...

Also, let me apologize if I'm asking too many questions.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-24-2009, 22:45
I started out really strong tonight. The 2nd set of barbell rows fried my biceps which hurt my hammer curls. I was trying a different grip on the leg curl machine which explains the poor result on the 2nd circuit. Here are my numbers...

80/Leg Ext/86-88/81

50/Barbell Rows/102-79/100

25's/ dumbell press/ 86-87/88

50/Leg curls/43-32/48

5's/Hammer curls/88-58/96

70/abs/66-64/60

Blitzzz, this was my 2nd day of doing only 2 circuits as per your instructions. Do you want me to make it 3 circuits for Wed. and Friday's sessions?

Yes to starting third circuit but change the rows to flys as not to double up on biceps. Good going! Dave

And to Irishsquid...Triceps will do well with the chest presses . add squats and Hamstring curls and do crunches seated with the l
Lat Bar. Look further back in the thread for a discritin of that one, Also you can add heel raises seated at the Legpress machine.

Milktrckcopilot
08-25-2009, 06:57
Blitzzz,

Can I keep the rows but drop hammer curls and replace them with calves (heel raises)? I'd rather lose a bicep exercise then a back exercise. I should of been more clear in saying, the rows along with the hammer curls are frying my biceps.

MTCP

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-25-2009, 07:04
Blitzzz,

Can I keep the rows but drop hammer curls and replace them with calves (heel raises)? I'd rather lose a bicep exercise then a back exercise. I should of been more clear in saying, the rows along with the hammer curls are frying my biceps.

MTCP
I understood...Flys are different from Rows (technical). You have much flexibility here as long as you make the choices on which exercises. You are doing fine as you noticed the affects of the double working of the Biceps..So I think calves is a good choice and certainly drop the Hammers if the Rows are working the Biceps. Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-02-2009, 22:27
There are over a hundred and six persons out there with the Blitz material.. Please send me some follow ups as to how you're doing. It will help everybody to know and share these things.. Thanks Blitzzz

dac
09-03-2009, 15:11
Email sent.

The only thing I don't like about this workout is the 38 steps I have to climb to get home after I finish. :D

Irishsquid
09-03-2009, 16:16
There are over a hundred and six persons out there with the Blitz material.. Please send me some follow ups as to how you're doing. It will help everybody to know and share these things.. Thanks Blitzzz

Ashamed to admit that, due to the amount of overtime I'm getting right now, I'm having to tone down the PT until the end of the month. Any government contractors out there know how hard it is to get OT, so I couldn't turn it down when offered.

Right now, I'm only able to lift on the weekends, but still doing calisthenics every day. I'm blitzing on saturdays, and, even doing it once a week, I'm still seeing results. I can only imagine how it will change next month when I have the time to devote to it.

zippy
09-06-2009, 00:57
I've got my first Blitz in, I'm using the Terrell Owens resistance band set from Bodylastics. I do think this is going to be a good set up to use for the Biltz program. You can increase resistance by anywhere from one to three pounds at at time and there are a lot of exercises that you can do with the set. You get two sets of handles and ankle straps and that makes setting up for the circuit easy, and a door anchor set up. The bands have carabiners on the ends, so changing the resistance is quick and easy. Resistance is up to 254 lbs. so that gives plenty of room to go up, there's a color coded chart that shows you how to combine the bands, and the resulting poundage that you get from the combos. Everything fits in a 14"X14" bag, so it's portable. I tell you what, it's hard to go too heavy on these. When I'm at the right resistance, I feel everything lock in, if I go too heavy, it's off balance and awkward. I got these to do the P90X, Dave told me I wouldn't like that program....well....I think it's a good workout, but it aggravated a lot of my old injuries, lots of jumps, time under a ruck, and heavy powerlifting in my youth tends to make me careful with the knees and back ...So, I'm taking Dave's advice and going with the Blitz. I'm using a Gymboss timer...

Exercise/Weight/Goal Reps/Reps

Press /25/80/46
Upright Row /18/80/50
Chest Press /42/60/35
Seated Row /41/68/54
Squat /23/65/42
Shrug /60/80/46
Calf Raise /62/92/60
Curl /23/72/45

Then I hit abs with leg raises and the resisted crunch, using 23 lbs of resistance for three one minute sets.....Tomorrow, I'll go for two circuits, three if it's going to be there with quality...

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-06-2009, 06:05
Notice the first and second circuit numbers are largely diverse. It shows the endurance levels of the muscle groups. As endurance te second and third circuit numbers elevate to the goal reps speeds. Very easy to follow and access progress.
Blitzzz

Additional Note: I went to the site on the band system and will give it a thumbs up. Particually the small resisted incrementals.
Blitzzz

Constant
09-07-2009, 00:53
I requested the workout program a few weeks ago and am quite satisifed with it. This is a sample of how I've been doing.

Week 1

70/Leg Ext/80/100

25/ dumbell curl/40/80

60/Leg curls/80/100

20/Hammer curls/35/80

Now at week 4 - sample

80/Leg Ext/90/100

25/ dumbell curl/90/100

75/Leg curls/100/100

20/Hammer curls/75/80

I'm quite happy with the progress. Here at the Camp I'm at, we have free weights and left overs from the Army's gym; but I did a max bench press before I started, 175 and now I am at 220. Quite happy. When I return home I'll be using bands and machines with rods at the base gym/local YMCA so I'm more in line with increments.

Blitzzz,
Thank you for this program; I was at a stand still with other workout regiments and not making any progress.

dac
09-14-2009, 14:20
Last week was crappy for blitzing for me. Monday I felt like somebody jabbed an icepick in my face, Wednesday was the root canal. :D

Did a great workout on Sat and ran on Sun, picking it back up tonight. My numbers are still improving after five weeks of blitzing.

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-15-2009, 23:20
Constant... you should be doing three circuits by week three. Sooo...get 'um started. Dac doing well it looks good.
some one said they were doing 3"sets" of crunches in a circuit. NO, NO, NO. One muscle group per exercise per circuit .
Keep it simple guy, Do the same circuit three time each session for 8 weeks.

TexasEngineer
09-16-2009, 20:26
Should I have just one circuit of 8 exercises that I use for every workout? Can you give me some different ab exercises to add in also.

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-16-2009, 21:53
I usually alternate upper then lower in the same circuit. 6 to 8 exercises can get most of what you want done. I'm not sure what you may want for Ab exercise other than the one I described earlier in this thread.
what I've found to be affective is to sit back to the lat bar or hand loops and pull them down to your chest. then with good posture just crunch (don't Bend forward) it's quick and only cruncches about 3 inches. You'll feel it.

dac
09-18-2009, 19:32
My numbers are still improving at the end of week 6. I don't know how to explain really, but my muscles feel more "dense" and the wife said it looks like I'm losing weight. :eek: People in the gym look at me weird, but I don't mind.

I had a couple lame weeks during the program so I am probably going to push out to 10 weeks instead of 8 but start adding more running in.

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-18-2009, 20:19
DAC... Are you doing 3 circuits?
are you bumping weight at 20% when progressing?
Just wanting to help. Dave.

dac
09-19-2009, 10:00
DAC... Are you doing 3 circuits?
are you bumping weight at 20% when progressing?
Just wanting to help. Dave.

I am doing 3 circuits, at about 40 minutes from start to finish.

I didn't know that I was supposed to bump, when am I supposed to do that?

Fletch
09-21-2009, 18:48
:lifter Blitzzz really puts it in the muscles. I also noticed that even when my muscles were 100 percent fatigued I felt 0 stress on my joints.

I started my first day on Blitzzz today, to be part of my continuous Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine. My brother was kind enough to join me, and has agreed to accompany me on Monday and Fridays. We were only able to get through two reps on our first time.

My first day's workout is as follows:

Exercise - Goal Reps - Weight - Reps1 - Reps2
High Row ----- 80 --------- 60 ------ 70 ----- 61
Seated Row - 100 -------- 50 ------ 70 ----- 60
Isolat Wide -- 76 --------- 50 ------ 64 ----- 56
Leg Press ---- 72 --------- 90 ------ 64 ----- 64
Bicep Curls --- 64 --------- 45 ------ 55 ----- 42
Heel Raises -- 88 --------- 90 ------ 76 ----- 74
Wrist Curls --- 72 --------- 20 ------ 48 ----- 39
Rev Wrist Curls - 96 ------ 20 ------ 77 ----- 65

I was doing all of these exercises with dumbells/barbells or free weight machines. No machines with stack weights and cables were used.

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-21-2009, 20:09
Fletch, this is a very good start. Three circuits usually takes a couple of days training to work up to 3. You are certainly not behind. Keep us posted here, it wil help the other guys out. Thanks.

King0331
09-23-2009, 08:18
Im on my third Blitz workout and have chosen the following exercise: Chest Press, Squat, Pulldowns, Hamstring Curl, Lateral Raise, Calf Raise, Bicep curl and the crunches you describe. Would it be possible to remove hamstring curls and calf raises for more "functional" multi joint lower body exercises? or does this somewhat defeat the purpose?

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-23-2009, 13:14
Im on my third Blitz workout and have chosen the following exercise: Chest Press, Squat, Pulldowns, Hamstring Curl, Lateral Raise, Calf Raise, Bicep curl and the crunches you describe. Would it be possible to remove hamstring curls and calf raises for more "functional" multi joint lower body exercises? or does this somewhat defeat the purpose?
By third workout I am assuming you mean third day.
I would suggeat not dropping the hamstring curls as it is difficult to strengthen them anyother "full functioning " way
If you have acess to a "total gym" you can do hamstring pull ups on a very low invline at first other wise you can do something similar on a regular incline bench. You hook your heels at the upper end of the incline and "slide up the incline. The seat must slide
Can do the same on a rowing machine.
Straight leg Heel raises is one little done but very helpful to all you will do. The hamstring curls will be "slower" because they are longer movement. Good Luck.

Slantwire
09-23-2009, 19:53
Blitzzz, you've posted that we should hammer out a set circuit of about eight exercises, and stick with it for the entire eight weeks.

What about rotating exercises that hit the same muscle groups? Is it kosher to use a "straight" lat pulldown one day, a diverging lat pulldown the next, and a behind-the-neck pulldown on another day? Or should I pick one only, and stick with that one?

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-23-2009, 22:18
Hey Pinhead, a lat pull is pretty much a Lat pull
Of course there are some minor variances in rotating or changing positions of hand holds but in the end the emphasis is on a specific group of Lat muscles.
I would find the one that gives you what you want and stick with it.
The focus of your question was doing other exercises that work the smae muscles....SAME MUSCLES not real need to change.

dac
09-25-2009, 08:24
This shows up to week 7, which is not complete yet, but you get the basic idea.

I'm going to raise my weights on Monday.

Yesterday a friend of mine wanted my help in picking up 1100lbs of steel targets from a shipping company. On the drive over I was comparing this to my Blitz seated rows.

1100 / 60 = 18.3

My average for seated rows this week was 99. I decided to do the math on the weight I use and the reps. In less than 40 minutes I move over 90,000 lbs, not counting free squats and crunches. That doesn't really translate to anything in the real world, but I thought it sounded cool. :D

dac
10-02-2009, 15:46
Now that I have increased the weights my forearms are having a hard time keeping up with the rest. By the end of my third circuit they are burning and it's hard to hang on for 80 rows.

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-04-2009, 10:36
I'll start with ageneral question to anyone who does physics.
I have recieeved a few comments from some Blitz users about experiencing some mild DOMS with their Blitzing.

If done correctly there is no DOMS. Since the formulas for determining to starting weights were created with resistance cable type machines ther may be an unaccounted for weight increase with free weights while attaining the velocity of Blitzing.
The weight/resistance gains would be at the ends of the exercise excursion while redirecting the force ( the plyometric effect)

IE. a 100# weight returning down on a brench press must decelerate to zero and accelerate up again. that deceleration/acceleration point may increase resistance .
My question is by what %?

Anybody?

ThatDudeOrion
10-05-2009, 11:41
Blitzzz,
Could you provide an explanation of primary, secondary, and tertiary muscle fibers? I'm familiar with the breakdown of type 1 and type 2a/2b fibers, but I don't know anything about the tertiary fibers which you stress in your program, and I would like to learn. Thanks for your time.

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-05-2009, 14:24
Tha Type 1 and 2a an 2b you speak of are each prioritized in 1,2 ,3rd for recruitment purposes.
So within each bundle you have Primary Type 1, secondary type 1 and tertiary type 1s. same for type 2a and 2bs

zippy
10-07-2009, 20:51
Dave,
Got over the flu, getting back on the Blitz...It was rolling very well...until the bug but me...
I know that you've posted something about the effect of the Blitz on run times, but for the life of me, I can't find post. From your experience with the program, what kind of results have you seen with those you've rehabed using Blitz and their PT scores when they return to duty.

Thanks Dave. You are appreciated.

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-08-2009, 00:54
I may have mentioned that a couple of the rehabed guys came back to the clinic to let us know they had Maxed the run and one of those guys had not run in a year and hlf. great cardio and muscle endurance did them well.

Fletch
10-12-2009, 08:03
First off, I would like to apologize for the long interval of silence. Right after day 1 of my Blitz, midterms hit and my priorities run Grades, PT, ROTC. This meant Blitzing, as I had it as an afternoon workout, was out the window for 2 weeks. Then we had a fall break, which put me out of town for most of last week. So now, here I am again on what I consider day 1 of my Blitz. I no longer have other obligations during morning PT, so I was able to drop it for 100 percent Blitzing every monday, wednesday, friday at 5:30. I felt kind of crappy this morning, so I feel my results were a little lower than they could have been. Also, I was beginning to get the acidic burps that precede puking so I decided to call it at 2 reps for this workout.

Exercise - Weight - Goal Reps - Reps - Reps

High Row - 100# - 80 - 64 - 60 //The weight increase was a mistake on misreading goal reps for weight, but I did it the first set so I did it again 2nd set :D

Rows - 50# - 88 - 76 - 42

Iso Wide Chest 50# - 84 - 70 - 60

Leg Press - 90# - 100 - 62 - 82 //The first set I did, the machine felt really awkward to me, which accounted for low reps. Took goal reps from 2nd set.

Bicep Curls - 45# - 60 - 46 - 42 //Does this weight need to be lowered?

Heel Raises - 90# - 120 - 96 - 80

Wrist Curls - 20# - 80 - 66 - 58

Reverse Wrist Curls - 20# - 84 - 56 - 46

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-12-2009, 16:23
----Even at this weight I doubt you'd be sore with reps this high [/COLOR]
Rows - 50# - 76 - 42 ----big drop in second circuit just lets you know your endurance level (low)

Iso Wide Chest - 50# - 70 - 60 ---Looks normal

Leg Press - 90# - 62 - 82 //The first set I did, the machine felt really awkward to me, which accounted for low reps.
You know what you did here.

Bicep Curls - 45# - 46 - 42 //Does this weight need to be lowered?
What was your goal reps here. if this low then yes reconfigue stsrt weight.
Heel Raises - 90# - 96 - 80 ---Good to go, keep working for endurance

Wrist Curls - 20# - 66 - 58 Looks ok don't know you goal reps

Reverse Wrist Curls - 20# - 56 - 46 -- Looks ok don't know you goal reps

Remember that no changes should be made until your doing 3 circuits.

Fletch
10-13-2009, 15:40
-- Looks ok don't know you goal reps

Remember that no changes should be made until your doing 3 circuits.

I updated it to show goal reps. Sorry that I forgot to post them the first time. Tomorrow morning, I will have new results that should be a clear picture of whether me just feeling out of it resulted in the low reps on biceps, or if I am doing too much weight.

Also, do I set goal reps each day or do I use the first day's goal reps until I meet them?

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-13-2009, 16:59
The name Goal is the first clue.. Goal reps are established the first and are not likely to change. They are determined by you max speed the first 15 sec of the first day each exercise. They are your "GOAL" for rep speed it usually takes about 4 or five work days to reach and thenyou work toward three circuits..

A note to all...I'll be away for a week so ask Milon any exercise questions.

Fletch
10-14-2009, 08:05
Day 2 came along, and it seems like I will be lowering my weight on my Bicep Curls...

Exercise - Weight - Goal Reps - Reps - Reps

High Row - 100# - 80 - 67 - 45

Row - 50# - 88 - 72 - 57

Isolat Wide Chest - 50# - 84 - 65 - 61

Leg Press - 90# - 100 - 85 - 87

Bicep Curls - 45# - 60 - 44 - 32

Heel Raises - 90# - 120 - 105 - 82

Wrist Curls - 20# - 80 - 68 - 53

Reverse Wrist Curls - 20# - 84 - 59 - 42

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-21-2009, 08:41
Fletch . now having seen you goal rep to exercise reps <i should suggest remaining with two circuits until your first circuit reaches goal rep speeds. Then add the Third circuit. Doing well , hang in there.

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-29-2009, 23:27
Ther's well over a hundred guys out there attempting the blitz system and i'd really like to know how others of you are doing. OK guys PM or Post...Thanks Dave

kecn
11-07-2009, 08:38
Started my first day today. My body is feeling pretty fatigued after this, but my mind feels energized. I felt as if I was doing some hard sprints after each exercise which I liked.

As for my body size, I'm 5'11'' and weight about 145lbs.

Exercise | Weight |Reps|
Lat Pulls | 60 | 40
Seated Rows | 50 | 49
Chest Press | 70 | 29----I added way to much weight to this.
Half Squats | 65 | 50
Hamstring Curls | 35 | 43
Bicep Curls | 20 | 53
Calf Raises | 240 | 80
Leg Extensions | 50 | 58

For the most part everything felt good. I used a lot of stacked weights which definitely made me slow down a lot on the Lat Pulls, Bicep Curls, Leg Ext. and the Hamstring Curls. I am going to look into finding a different place to try this workout at. I took a look at the Tower 200, and was wondering if anyone gave this a try yet?

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-07-2009, 09:34
At first glance iwold think you need to reloook you start weights, if they are correct then It's probably the machines that retard rep speed and that can't be helped some times
As to the Tower 200 I believe it to be a good option, also the Terrel Owens band system looks to be a little more measures.

You seem to be on top of it as you can tell by the fact of your note about too much weight in the lat pulls.

Keep on and let me know if I can assist with anything Blitz.

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-07-2009, 09:44
The Terrell Owen "Bodylastics system (and I'm not pushing products) givs a calibrated band system that looks very god for this system,

It come with 1 Yellow Elastic - 5 lbs. of resistance, 1 Green Elastic - 7 lbs. of resistance, 1 Red Elastic - 13 lbs. of resistance, 1 Blue Elastic - 19 lbs of resistance, 1 Black Elastic - 23 lbs. of resistance, 2 Orange Elastics - 30 lbs of resistance, each.

I'll research the other system and reply here in an edit. Dave
These systems should go easily in the team rooms of each team..Agreat sourse of exercise equipment.

First uo date on Tower 200- It's not as calabrated as the Bodylastic- the Tower 200 has two 25-pound cords, two 35-pound cords, and two 40-pound cords. To get 200 pounds of resistance, you would utilize all six Power Cords at once, but you can work out with as little as 25 lbs. resistance if you only connect one of the 25-pound Power Cords to your hand grip or ankle strap.
For prices it may be advantagous to combine the systems...?

abc_123
11-24-2009, 07:05
Ok, Blitz. As promised. Let's have your comments. If you recommend adding/deleting exercises, changing weights etc. let me have it and I'll roll with it.

Day 1 1RM test and 1 circuit.

Exercise Data:

Exercise - wt /Goal / TTL Reps

Lat Pull - 70# / 20 / 60

Bench - 45# / 15 / 45

Leg Press - 180# / 20 / 52 - Should have done 90# but I loaded 90# on each side! I need a mulligan on this. Willl drop to 90# and try again

Calf Raise - 180# / 38 / 62 - Just used the same weight as the leg press, so I wouldn't have to change the weights and gave it a shot

Curls (one-arm) - 25# / 16 / 54

Leg Curls - 30 # / 12 / 40 - I can't figure out how to do this given the equipment that I have available. The leverage machines have a spring that slows rep speed, and the laying leg curl machine that I used just won't return fast enough. I was bouncing the weight off of my ass and this is as fast as I can go. Now what??

Lat Pull Ab Crunch - I tried this, and must be doing somethign wrong. Speed not there.. Any alternative ab exercise that I could use? I was thinking about just doing body weight sit-ups or something....

Total Time to comeplete Circuit (from 1st rep of 1st exercise, UTC): 40min

What I found out:

1. My strength is ok. My strength endurance sucks - ( I already knew this)
2. I need to adjust my weight on some of these exercises for next time.
3. Machines limit speed on some exercises...maybe need to choose alternate exercises? --- Specifically Leg Curls and Abs
4. Having a parter would really be helpful.
5. I need a better system to time myself (and a better timer)
6. A Crowded gym and circuit training don't mix.

Coments:

I tried to time myself with my watch. Not a suunto with big numbers, but a casual watch with a little, teeny-tiny digital stop watch. I had to slow my reps to look at my watch. SO, I probably across the board could have gotten 1-2 more reps in my first 15 seconds and then maybe bumped my TTL reps per excercise by 5 or so. What I reported below is what I actually did.

The bench and lat pull were done on bi-lateral leverage-type machines. The leg press was done on a standard plate-loaded seated leg press machine wher you sit in it and press up at a 45deg angle. Curls and leg curls were done on a standard cable machine...however I did the curls one arm at a time.

I can see issues with people jumping in and homesteading on one of the machines somwhere when I'm trying to complete multiple circuits. I got lucky in that someone jumped onto the leg press machine just as I started but I was able to jump in when it came time for me to use it.

I am only a tiny bit sore. Biceps a little bit and legs a little more than that. Probaby from the 1RM testing and the fact that i use 2x the weight on leg presses than I should have!

I left the gym feeling like I really didn't do enough. Don't get me wrong, I worked as hard as I could to get the mediocre results below, but in total the volume of work was nowhere near what I woudl consider to be "hard" .

zeke
11-24-2009, 09:02
abc_123,
I've been running into the same issues as you with the leg press and hamstring press machines at the gym not being able to keep up the pace. I have been doing back extension exercises instead of crunches since I do different core strengthening routines on different days.

I also had the same issue with losing a couple of reps on each exercise by looking at my watch. I'm only about 3 weeks into it but I'm able to keep 3 cycles of 7 exercises at about the same reps, but don't feel very tired after an hour workout (even if I add 1/2 hour of stationary bike).

I have noticed my pushups increasing by about 2-5 reps a week though. :lifter

People at the gym sure look at you funny when your writing down rep counts and weight amounts during a workout.

No soreness the next day or two is nice.

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-24-2009, 09:21
Ok, Blitz. As promised. Let's have your comments. If you recommend adding/deleting exercises, changing weights etc. let me have it and I'll roll with it.

Day 1 1RM test and 1 circuit.

Exercise Data:

Exercise - wt /Goal / TTL Reps
(if the second number you list is your first 15 sec, then your goal reps will be :)
Lat Pull - 70# / 20 / 60...(80)

Bench - 45# / 15 / 45...(60)

Leg Press - 180# / 20 / 52 -...(80) Should have done 90# but I loaded 90# on each side! I need a mulligan on this. Willl drop to 90# and try again

Calf Raise - 180# / 38 / 62...(152) - Just used the same weight as the leg press, so I wouldn't have to change the weights and gave it a shot

Curls (one-arm) - 25# / 16 / 54...(64) Question: Did you one arm curl 75#?

Leg Curls - 30 # / 12 / 40...(48) These are going to seem slower based on a 140 degree movement arch. You might try this one standing Single leg on a cable colum if they have one.- I can't figure out how to do this given the equipment that I have available. The leverage machines have a spring that slows rep speed, and the laying leg curl machine that I used just won't return fast enough. I was bouncing the weight off of my ass and this is as fast as I can go. Now what??

Lat Pull Ab Crunch - I tried this, and must be doing somethign wrong. Speed not there.. Any alternative ab exercise that I could use? I was thinking about just doing body weight sit-ups or something....
On ab curls the movement excursion is only a short crunchof about 3 inches. Do not bend at the waist....
Total Time to comeplete Circuit (from 1st rep of 1st exercise, UTC): 40min

What I found out:

1. My strength is ok. My strength endurance sucks - ( I already knew this)
Answer; No determination on endurance can be made with one circuit and no changes until you're doing 3 circuits...

2. I need to adjust my weight on some of these exercises for next time.
Answer: Just insure you are 1/3 of your 1RM. you can decrees by 5% as needed.
3. Machines limit speed on some exercises...maybe need to choose alternate exercises? --- Specifically Leg Curls and Abs
Answer: Addressed above. rep speeds are based on about 400 degrees per second. therefore some exercises will seem slower than others EX 90degree leg extension vs. 140 degree ham curls. Check again the Blitz only thread, it's addressed there.
4. Having a parter would really be helpful.
Answer: Very much so...someone to cound reps and adid in setting up next station.

5. I need a better system to time myself (and a better timer)
Answer: At Ft campbell we used digital egg timers. just punch in one munute and press go and stop with buzzer or bell...works great. check a few before buying.

6. A Crowded gym and circuit training don't mix.
Answer: This is why a buddy or two comes in handy...to run off the other muscle heads chatting around and bragging about their lifts LOL.

Coments:

I tried to time myself with my watch. Not a suunto with big numbers, but a casual watch with a little, teeny-tiny digital stop watch. I had to slow my reps to look at my watch. SO, I probably across the board could have gotten 1-2 more reps in my first 15 seconds and then maybe bumped my TTL reps per excercise by 5 or so. What I reported below is what I actually did.

The bench and lat pull were done on bi-lateral leverage-type machines. The leg press was done on a standard plate-loaded seated leg press machine wher you sit in it and press up at a 45deg angle. Curls and leg curls were done on a standard cable machine...however I did the curls one arm at a time.
Answer: Comfort with your exercises wil aid in smoothness and speed. you're looking ok.

I can see issues with people jumping in and homesteading on one of the machines somwhere when I'm trying to complete multiple circuits. I got lucky in that someone jumped onto the leg press machine just as I started but I was able to jump in when it came time for me to use it.

I am only a tiny bit sore. Biceps a little bit and legs a little more than that. Probaby from the 1RM testing and the fact that i use 2x the weight on leg presses than I should have!

I left the gym feeling like I really didn't do enough. Don't get me wrong, I worked as hard as I could to get the mediocre results below, but in total the volume of work was nowhere near what I woudl consider to be "hard" .

Answer; Not to worry here, it gets better quicker when you do more circuits.
Don't mix other sytems with this one for the best results, they will slow you down and the results of this one will astound you. Dave

abc_123
11-24-2009, 10:07
Yeah Roger... the second number was my 15 second time. Sorry. "GOAL Reps" would be that second number x 4.

I understand the concept, just misstated.

The curl 1RM testing was done one arm at a time and I pulled up 120# on the machine that I was using.... SO, 25 #/arm is correct.

Ok, based upon your comments, I'll just roll with what I've got next workout as my weights are 20% of my 1RM (+- 1lb). I just have a feeling that my second circuit numbers may be a bit ugly...:)

Probably not going to be able to pick up with this exact workout until after Turkey day, but will do something).

Next workout, I'll run with 2x circuits.

kecn
11-24-2009, 10:30
I ordered The Terrell Owen Bodylastics system and just received it in the mail a few days ago. I tried it out with The Blitz and it worked out pretty well. It was nice because I could transition between exercises fairly quickly without having to worry about other people in the gym, as I could do it in my own home. I was able to go as fast as I possibly could without gravity or machines slowing me down. The only issues I really had was it was awkward to do Squats and Calf raises.

All in all it was worth the money. :D

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-24-2009, 14:26
kecn, that sounds good. I had hoped the machine would deliver. I will have to look at squats and heel raiseSounds like a wrong angle of pull, not straight. A good Sf engineer would put a couple of pulley on two 1x4s and secure them to the floor spaced apart to allow the correct angles...or a peice of plywood that you'd be standing on the anchor it down Just a thought.

Dave

kecn
11-25-2009, 16:47
For the squats I just stood on the Band and held on to handles. It worked pretty well but felt weird doing it that way instead of having the barbell on my shoulders. The work out still felt pretty good as I was well smoked when I was done.

For the Calf raises I tried doing the same thing, only I had all the bands connected which is only 134lbs. It's a lot lighter than what I was doing before, but felt so awkward trying to keep the bands under my feet and holding on to the handles while doing the exercise. I tried something different today though. I connected all the bands to the handles to create a loop, then placed it underneath my door. I sat in the middle of the loop and just pushed off of my door till my legs were fully extended. I then just performed the reps. It felt much better and I got somewhat of a burn, but still a little odd.

I attached a link of how the Workout Manual Suggests doing the Calf raises. I did try this which was alright. Still felt odd as I kept getting off balanced and I didn't feel much of a burn. http://www.tobands.com/images/TerrellOwenslegExercise124b.gif

I think I might just get a Squat Rack. It would be perfect since I love to do Squats and Deadlifts. :lifter I will also be able to add the weight that I am looking for. Or maybe just switch calf's with an ab workout and just work them on a different day?

Thanks for the help and advice! :)

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-28-2009, 08:30
( This is a PM sent to me with some good thinking and info on the TO system)
I believe teams could do this in team roooms> Blitz

Thank you, sir. Btw, as I started get my thoughts organized, I ended up changing it to where the circuits ran 8 stations for each of the three days. Fwiw, I'm using the T.O. Elastic Bands as my Blitz equipment. The exercises I am doing listed below are straight from their (Bodylastics’) workout manual, as well as the Strength Band University website (owned by Bodylastics; just a reference site, not a real university). I left the name of the exercises with the particular alterations next to it in case you have other clients that come across this PM. As you look at the list there are repeats, but only to allow alterations post-48 hours of rest. On another note, during Workout II, my current equipment properly allows me to only do individual leg extensions, so it being one at a time the leg extensions are counted twice making that day's circuit a number of eight. Anyways, here’s the list:

*Note: Exercises are set in the following order allowing what I believe to be a quick and efficient setup time, considering the equipment and exercises performed.

Workout I
1. Seated Chair Lateral Raise
2. Hip Extension
3. Seated Ab Twist
4. Bench Rotator Cuff External Rotation
5. Forward Lat Extension
6. Standing Bicep Curl
7. Shrugs
8. Squats

Workout II
1. Laying One Legged Hip Flexor (bending each leg separately, but rotating throughout the exercise)
2. {Single} Leg Extension (running this station twice, but only to focus on the other leg)
3. Seated Forearm Curl
4. Kneeling Ab Crunch
5. Chair Two Legged Hamstring Curl
6. Upright Rows
7. Good Mornings

Workout III
1. Standing Calf Raise
2. Hip Extension
3. Close Grip Rear Shoulder Pull
4. Seated floor Back Row
5. Seated Ab Twist
6. Bench Rotator Cuff Internal Rotation
7. Standing Two Arm Chest Press
8. Kneeling Triceps Extension

If you run across other T.O Elastic Band Blitz users who are having issues on particular exercises, I would be more than willing to explain how I am performing them.. However, it would be better for them to register onto the Strength Band University website and send an email to customer service, asking for further assistance.

Peace easy & Mahalo,
-Grado[/QUOTE]

Grado
11-29-2009, 19:39
To help explain the above post and why one would ever consider setting up three Blitzing days..

First off it looks like this..

Example:
Fri: 6-8 exercises, Workout I
Sat: 6-8 exercises, Workout II
Sun: 6-8 exercises, Workout III
Mon: Rest
tues: Workout I
wed: Workout II
thur: Workout III
Fri: Rest
etc., etc., etc.

While doing this breaks up general workout consistency day-to-day, month-to-month, it allows room for more exercises. Doing this method I was able to fit in 20 different stations Blitzing as opposed to the usual maximum of 8, targeting certain muscle groups more precisely, ALL WHILE still allowing roughly 48-92 hours of rest between those muscle groups. Just my thoughts on how to include more exercises.

I'll be posting my results on this once I get a sufficient amount of data.

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-30-2009, 07:17
Thanks Grado, Excellant post. Many of the Blitz users here just have a hard time getting it. You have shown a very good grasp of it as written. I think your work here will be very helpful to the others.
A little note from me is not to do any other exercises while blitzing, as heavy weights wil do some micro damage to the fibers you are using to blitz. For other things you may feel a need to do, you don't. Do those things after a sucessful Blitz of about 8 weeks.
By the way no one has ever run this system to it's fanally. we do not know how many weeks it can be run before the 20% weight increments will have to downward curve to 15, 10, and 5 %. which will happen some time buut as yet , never been done.

Additionally I suggest you purchase a couple of ankle/wrist weights with 1pound weights that you can adjust weight progression by 1 pound increments. The TO bands will not let that happen. so you need to adjust with the addition of wrist weights. Call if you want to discuss this further. Dave

abc_123
11-30-2009, 15:53
Figured I'd post my day two workout results because my first day was so jacked up.

Exercise Weight / Circuit 1 / Circuit 2 // Goal(figured on day 1)

Bench 45# / 69 / 65 // 60
Lat Pull 60# / 72 / 70 // 80
Leg Press 90# / 60 / 55 // 80
Calf Raise 90# / 81 / 79 // 152
Curls 25# / 59 / 57 // 64
Leg Curls 30# / 46 / 50 // 48
Abs - did some ...need to blitz

00:47 total workout time.

I really need to re-figure my goal reps on the Bench, Leg Press, Calf raises and Lat Pull. After experiencing soreness (Like I'm not supposed to) I re-looked at the weights etc. I was using and realized that on all three exercises I had jacked up math or simply put too damn much weight on the machine. ANYWAY, at least today I had the right amount of weight on the machine. What I have listed is what I actually used.

Will need to practice doing some ab exercises tomorrow and/or 1-2 other exercises to add to the circuit.

The leg presses really, really, sucked after about rep #40...

Had to work around dudes camping out on some of the machines. I didn't stop the circuit, I just bounced to another exercise and them came back to the one I had to skip.

might be interesting to put a HR monitor on and track start-peak-average HR's....

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-30-2009, 17:10
Please record any info for future use as HRs..
The higher numbers on the last circuits would make me think you weren't giving it all on the first circuit or second. Don't fool yourself into Holding out for the last circuit. Believe me when I say give it all from start to finish and all will develope like you won't believe... Good work > Dave
Yes it is incredably fatiqueing...

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-30-2009, 17:43
I am posting this for the benefit of those who are thinking about using or are using the Blitz and can take encouragement. I am not posting the authors name But he can remark here if he wishes. Dave

Notes: I have always been fairly "lop-sided" in regards to bench press and upper body strength compared to flat out upper arm strength. (probably due to my football coaches over emphasis on bench press and me playing O tackle and "pushing people around" and all the push-ups I did in my days in the Army!).
With a very sore right shoulder things have not progressed as fast I as though they might, however, my level of fitness has increased three fold.
As a former United Hockey League linesman that could run a 12 minute 2 mile at the age of 34 and bench press my weight(245 then-6years ago) 17 times this will increase my body weight bench press by 3 or 4 reps at the end of the cycle. This program is probably not reccomended for Offensive linemen as I have lost some mass, probably best for athletic positions - WR/RB/QB/DB/LB...
Also to pat my own back, about 10 days ago I had to engage in a foot pursuit of a male student thru town(it's a long story!) and I was not winded AT ALL! the chase lasted about 9 minutes on wet pavement/grass/muck and the like and when I caught him it he didn't know what to think other than he thought he could out run me...)

Thoughts: The 6 week (currently on week 4 day 1) trial I am currently on has "kicked my a$$" and gotten me in shape the fastest of all the work out programs I have tried in the past. It will have me ready to go through it again for a 8 week session at a harder pace. Although similar to the "cross fit" style work out the blitz has increased my stamina and strength at an equal rate at a quicker rate...

Equipment types used: nautilas or machine type mixed with dumb bells and barbells

abc_123
11-30-2009, 18:15
Please record any info for future use as HRs..
The higher numbers on the last circuits would make me think you weren't giving it all on the first circuit or second. Don't fool yourself into Holding out for the last circuit. Believe me when I say give it all from start to finish and all will develope like you won't believe... Good work > Dave
Yes it is incredably fatiqueing...

Dave,

I've got it all in an .xls file with general comments on how the exercises felt, problems etc... probably not in the most efficient format, but it's all there and you are welcome to it at any time.

I m not holding out. I only did 2 circuits as this is my 2nd day.. and I ate and drank to excess over Thanksgiving. The last number was my goal reps (that I calc'd on my first day (that are probably wrong for some of the exercises now that I've dropped weight).

I Only went up in reps on the leg curls. Lots of inertia on these using a standard machine so it felt weird. I now know how to do it now and that probably won't happen again.

Leg presses also wierd. I dont' know how to put it exactly, but I have to slow up at the top of each rep just a little on the initial 30-40 reps so I don't completely launch the platform that I have my feet on and have it leave contact with my feet... as it is, i'm only keeping contact with my toes. Now after 40 it's a different ballgame.

Will add a 3rd circuit.

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-30-2009, 22:57
yepper, Send the file to me after you are doing the 3 circuits for a couple of times and I'll give it a look. You do sound like you're doing well Dave

darbs
12-01-2009, 07:02
I am posting this for the benefit of those who are thinking about using or are using the Blitz and can take encouragement. I am not posting the authors name But he can remark here if he wishes. Dave

Notes: I have always been fairly "lop-sided" in regards to bench press and upper body strength compared to flat out upper arm strength. (probably due to my football coaches over emphasis on bench press and me playing O tackle and "pushing people around" and all the push-ups I did in my days in the Army!).
With a very sore right shoulder things have not progressed as fast I as though they might, however, my level of fitness has increased three fold.
As a former United Hockey League linesman that could run a 12 minute 2 mile at the age of 34 and bench press my weight(245 then-6years ago) 17 times this will increase my body weight bench press by 3 or 4 reps at the end of the cycle. This program is probably not reccomended for Offensive linemen as I have lost some mass, probably best for athletic positions - WR/RB/QB/DB/LB...
Also to pat my own back, about 10 days ago I had to engage in a foot pursuit of a male student thru town(it's a long story!) and I was not winded AT ALL! the chase lasted about 9 minutes on wet pavement/grass/muck and the like and when I caught him it he didn't know what to think other than he thought he could out run me...)

Thoughts: The 6 week (currently on week 4 day 1) trial I am currently on has "kicked my a$$" and gotten me in shape the fastest of all the work out programs I have tried in the past. It will have me ready to go through it again for a 8 week session at a harder pace. Although similar to the "cross fit" style work out the blitz has increased my stamina and strength at an equal rate at a quicker rate...

Equipment types used: nautilas or machine type mixed with dumb bells and barbells

Thanks for posting Dave...

I want to encourage everyone to follow the "blitz" to the letter...
Looking back, I feel my gains would have been better had I "just done what was written" and not tweaked anything to fit me.

After a couple emails with Dave I'm going to start over on Friday this week, and do a 8 week cycle - by the book this time...

Good luck and stock up on the Ibuprofen!! :lifter

renato
12-02-2009, 09:47
is this blitz system you are discussing the same or associated with blitztotalfitness.com? and if so is paying the small amount of cash to see the program the only way to see it?

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-02-2009, 10:50
renato, read more and you will see this is not the same. That is a program and this is a system. They are no where near the same.
Basic difference is a program will have predetermined exercises and the "system' teaches you how to do exercises to accomplish certain results and one can develop their own "program with this System.

Thanks for the heads up. There may be a copy write problem, I have written them ...well see.

darbs
12-02-2009, 14:04
You could always call it...

"DB's Body Burn"...

The first few days I did this my body was burninig.... legs were on fire...

Thank god (or scientist's) for Ibuprofen. :D

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-05-2009, 22:37
I got informed today that a new PT manual for Unit firness of sorts has been produced and it does contains a version of the "Blitz". I think it is the "Sixties". Will wait to see, just passing what is good news for me.

You guys using the "Blitz" are ahead of the game. Keep Trucking. Blitzzz

abc_123
12-06-2009, 10:00
You could always call it...

"DB's Body Burn"...

The first few days I did this my body was burninig.... legs were on fire...

Thank god (or scientist's) for Ibuprofen. :D

I'm there now, bro.

I help coach youth wrestling 3x weekly in the evenings and try and do most if not all of the conditioning stuff with the kids to keep them motivated and do the "lead by example" thing as the head coach is a little older, injured and isn't as active.

That ,plus trying to bump up to 3 circuits 3x weekly was too much last week. Couldn't do it. Am taking motrin, eating fried turkey, and licking my wounds getting ready to start up again on monday.

dac
12-09-2009, 13:50
I have been on standby for multiple 3-5 day TDY adventures so I haven't kept up with my blitzing.

If congress ever finishes a damn budget my schedule may slow down a little since funding won't be "Here's $47k, but you have to spend it by next Tuesday" anymore and I can do some planning.

I am going to pick blitzing back up, but since rugby is done I found a Krav Maga trainer I want to try out.

abc_123
12-09-2009, 22:13
I'm there now, bro.

I help coach youth wrestling 3x weekly in the evenings and try and do most if not all of the conditioning stuff with the kids to keep them motivated and do the "lead by example" thing as the head coach is a little older, injured and isn't as active.

That ,plus trying to bump up to 3 circuits 3x weekly was too much last week. Couldn't do it. Am taking motrin, eating fried turkey, and licking my wounds getting ready to start up again on monday.

Am seeing progress, so things are looking up. Endurance is coming up.. even if only by a rep or two at a time...and I made it into the 3rd circuit before I started not feeling good and getting the body shakes.

Big Daddy59
12-11-2009, 17:50
All
Started the Blitz system today, very tough, Thanks to Blitzzz for your time in sending this;

Here you go
Lat Pulls/51 reps/60 reps goal/wt-60
Crunches/62 reps/60 reps goal/wt-60
Seated knee extensions/59 reps/52 reps goal/wt-70
Half squats(bodyweight)/41 reps/52 reps goal/bodyweight
Bicep Curls/61 reps/80 reps goal/wt-30
Hamstring Curls/42 reps/48 reps goal/wt-30
Heel raises/76 reps/80 reps goal.wt-190 (could not get a good start weight)

Thoughts- Crunches were easy, any suggestions on something different for abs
If you go over your goals, does that mean the weight is to light?
This was my starter set, will start the system on Sunday for good
I walk in the morning and evening to work with a ruck, will I have to change that?
Soreness all over right now and was winded at the end

Blitzzz, my thanks again I am really looking forward to this, please let me know if I made any mistakes from what you have read.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-11-2009, 19:45
Just for all you guys. I won't be "critical of what you're doing, just critiques. and suggestions. I appreciate all of your efforts and am only saddened that there no "Blitz Trainers" out there and you all do what you can with only a written form.

So! "Big Daddy 59"
You look to have started out well. I will suggest your speeds are slow, but I don't know the machines you are using.
I didn't see "Goal Reps along with Goal wt.
These numbers will form the basis for further reviews.

A thought on crunches. I don't know how you are doing them. But you speeds indicate you're bending at the waist. Try sitting straight under the Lat pull and pull the weight bar down to your chest and the each rep will be about 3 inch crunch. You'll be curling down instead of bending.

No change to walking / rucking.

Soreness usually indicates too great a startin wt. and rep speeds below 40.
you should do 1 circuit the first day, 2 circuits the 2nd or third day, 3 circuits asap that as you can tolerate.
Thoughts- Crunches were easy, any suggestions on something different for abs
If you go over your goals, does that mean the weight is to light?
This was my starter set, will start the system on Sunday for good
I walk in the morning and evening to work with a ruck, will I have to change that?
Soreness all over right now and was winded at the end

Blitzzz, my thanks again I am really looking forward to this, please let me know if I made any mistakes from what you have read.

Big Daddy59
12-11-2009, 20:04
Blitzzz
Thanks for the quick response, and deeply grateful for the help and critque,

I used old style Naultlius at my base(possibly 70's early 80's)
The gym at the active duty base closer has better equipment machine wise and will be using that

Sorry, where I put reps goal are my goals rep. I did the 15 sec rule as written and I did go over on some reps, does that mean the weights are to lite?

Goal wt is listed as wt, I did 1 rep max and didvided by 3

(example;Lat Pulls/51 reps/60 reps goal/wt-60)(my way)
Should read Lat pulls 51 reps/15 sec-15 reps/goal reps-60/goal wt-60, does that sound better?

Roger on abs
Roger on the walk/ruck
Roger on the number of circuits

Question can we adjust weights as we go or do we need to have a set weight and then advance?
Thanks in advance

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-11-2009, 23:21
There is no weight changes made for progression until you are doing 3 circuits and then when you are meeting goal reps three times. Don't need to rush this system. It's very consistent with all users.
The first couple + weeks is "endurance", the rest of the weeks is strength. and incrementles are X 20%.

DOn't know when the increments taper off to 15, 10 , and 5 % but it has never happened in 9 weeks.

Big Daddy59
12-13-2009, 15:02
Here are the numbers for today;

Lat Pulls/wt-60/goal reps-60/reps-46

Crunches/wt-40/goal reps-60/reps-52-these were done to failure before the minute elapsed

Knee ex/wt-40/goal reps-52/reps-42

Half squats-bodyweight-/41 reps

Bicep Curls/wt-30/goal reps-60/reps-42

High row(sub for ham curls, machine was being used)/wt-30/goal reps-60/reps-40

Heel raises/wt-190/goal reps-80/reps-64

Notes;
Had to sub as stated for the ham curls
This was very diffucult to get thru, had hard time reaching 40 reps, very humbling
some soreness but feel good
looking fowrad to tuesday, will try for two circuits.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-13-2009, 19:58
Here are the numbers for today;

Lat Pulls/wt-60/goal reps-60/reps-46

Crunches/wt-40/goal reps-60/reps-52-these were done to failure before the minute elapsed

Knee ex/wt-40/goal reps-52/reps-42

Half squats-bodyweight-/41 reps

Bicep Curls/wt-30/goal reps-60/reps-42

High row(sub for ham curls, machine was being used)/wt-30/goal reps-60/reps-40

Heel raises/wt-190/goal reps-80/reps-64

Notes;
Had to sub as stated for the ham curls
This was very difficult to get thru, had hard time reaching 40 reps, very humbling
some soreness but feel good
looking forwad to tuesday, will try for two circuits.Looks to be a pretty good start.
Just a performance note. if humanly possible go faster, Hold back nothing and when you reach what feels like fatigue DO NOT STOP THE MOVEMENT OF THE REPS AS THIS IS THE POINT YOU ARE EXERCISING THE TERTIARY FIBERS. The tertiaries will not stay engaged if you stop movement for one split second.. regardless of how slow you get, it is critical to keep the movement for the full minute.

Blitz exercise movement speeds are based on about 400 degrees per second....fast..Some machines will not allow this speed but do your best Dave

Big Daddy59
12-15-2009, 19:50
Blitzzz,
Long day and I did not want to blow this off, machines on the base were tore up and I had to improvise some and attempted two circuits

Bench /65 wt/41 reps/41 reps

Abs/70 wt/41 reps/43 reps-as you described me to do

Calf Raises/190 wt/68 reps/56 reps-I wanted to quit on this one but I remembered what you said and one minute never felt so long

Bentover row/45 wt/46 reps/39 reps

Curls/45 wt/42 reps/40 reps

Squats/45 wt.-with a bar on my back/32 reps/31 reps- this made me mad, thought I had more in me, lot of work to do here

Knee ex/60 wt/52 reps /49 reps/

Lat Pulls/60 wt/54 reps/46 reps

Notes;
Second set killed me was a struggle and felt like lunch wanted to come up, I have a lot of work to do to get where I want to be. To those out there trying this, this is only my second day and for some starnge reason I cannot wait to tackle this on Thursday.Except for knee ex,lat pulls, calf all others were done with a bar, like I said the machines at the base were just in bad shape, could not even try and use

Still got to do alot more to get better, this is very humbling

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-16-2009, 11:09
Your looking good and understand the concept well. The machines will limit your potential but you have to use what you have. Below 40 reps could indicate some soreness with that muscle group..
it'll only get better and you will be surprised on how fast your body responds. Dave

abc_123
12-16-2009, 17:21
Nice. might want to go back and fix some typos, but very clear and easy to follow.

Might want to add some "rules of thumb" if you have any... such as "rep speeds below 40min are too slow" others?? Edit:: you also gave great clarification in conversation about not stopping the motion even for a second, and also about rounding down, not up on the weights.

I did two circuits at my new weights today. overall i had an approximate 10% gain in reps for each exercise on each circuit. 2nd circuit was a couple reps better than the first (as you said) for all exercises except one.

My rep speeds range from 80-103% of goal for all exercises except bench. I need to get 20more reps in there before I hit goal speeds.

I'm still averaging about 20min per circuit... need to speed that up. will stick with 2 circuits again on friday.

Can hardly wait until endurance comes up and my body adjusts. i did pushups last night with my wrestling team and felt like a girl...

Big Daddy59
12-17-2009, 18:34
All the machines except for a few a still in the crapper

Here I go

Mil Press/45 wt/45 reps/44 reps

Curls/45 wt/46 reps/46 reps

Rows-Machine/65 wt/47 reps/44 reps

Abs/65 wt/44 reps/43 reps

Squats-Bodyweight/47 reps/45 reps

Knee ex/65 wt/56 reps/55 reps

Calf raises/190 wt/65 reps/67 reps

DB incline press/30 wt/40 reps/42 reps

Notes: mixed it up and felt strong, towards the end felt winded and weak, had to press, was not going to give up no matter what, even if I fell out...the floor is your friend when you get done, others were laughing at me as I was huffing and puffing....

Big Daddy59
12-21-2009, 19:00
Been busy at work but here are my two past days

12/19
Lat pulls-70 lbs/48 reps/45reps
db incline press-40 lbs/40 reps/40 reps
abs-60 lbs/46 reps/48 reps
squats-45 lbs/40 reps/39 reps-still need work
knee ex-70 lbs/57 reps/56 reps
ham curls-60 lbs-55 reps/54 reps
rows-50 lbs-50 reps/50 reps

was a blah day, had to push hard just to finish, really felt it this day

12/21
squats-50 lbs/44 reps/41 reps-finally but it hurt so good...
abs-60 lbs/47 reps/50 reps
mil press-45 lbs/40 reps/38 reps
bench press-50 lbs/41 reps/44 reps
curls-45 lbs-/43reps/46 reps
Calf raise-190 lbs/67 reps/65 reps

felt good, was spent and huffing like a train going up hill.....

more on the 23rd

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-21-2009, 20:54
I say it's time for three circuits....ENJOY!

civil
12-22-2009, 08:05
I just completed reading through the 12 pages in this thread and a few others about your Blitz program, I am very intrigued and will be starting this week. Got the PDF from the link and setting up my workout station.

I only have access to two dumbbells and a few plates
(working on finding a gym close enough I can benefit from)

I read that free weights will be ok, I have very little experience using weights I am normally a body weight exercise guy, getting in shape for SFAS, and want to do this right.

Stats: 5'10'' 170lbs 23yrs old
I eat real good and have a damn hard time putting on any weight

Could someone give me some feedback on the below?
This is what I am thinking of setting up, please keep in mind I only have dumbbells and a few plates as of now

Hammer Curls
Crunches - while holding plates if weight is appropriate
Squats - while holding plates if weight is appropriate
Chest Press
Shoulder Press - alternate with shrugs
Wrist curl
Back (I'm at a loss here can someone recommend a dumbbell exercise for this that will benefit strengthening my back for carrying a ruck)

I appreciate any guidance you guys can give me so I hit the right areas, my legs are very strong but upper body is quite week (I can throw down 70 push ups no stopping but that would be my max). Abs are very week now as I had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery about a month ago (doc approved me for exercise no weight limits anymore)

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-22-2009, 08:46
I just completed reading through the 12 pages in this thread and a few others about your Blitz program, I am very intrigued and will be starting this week. Got the PDF from the link and setting up my workout station.

I only have access to two dumbbells and a few plates
(working on finding a gym close enough I can benefit from)

I read that free weights will be ok, I have very little experience using weights I am normally a body weight exercise guy, getting in shape for SFAS, and want to do this right.

Stats: 5'10'' 170lbs 23yrs old This is a good weight it's near your (animal self.
I eat real good and have a damn hard time putting on any weight. Don't even concern your self with weight gain. You don't need to be bigger for any reason just more powerful. Unless your anticipating playing Football.

Could someone give me some feedback on the below?
This is what I am thinking of setting up, please keep in mind I only have dumbbells and a few plates as of now

Hammer Curls. These are fine but with free weights you should decrease your Start Weight by about 10% because of the Plyometric effect.

Crunches - while holding plates if weight is appropriate. depends on position: level=no weight plate: feet elevated =Not recommended in early stages; head elevated= perfered at first to decrease start weight.ONLY CRUNCH don't bend at waist.
Squats - while holding plates if weight is appropriate. This one is GTG
Chest Press Again with free weights reduce start by about 10% to prevent DOMS.
Shoulder Press - alternate with shrugson this one it is two different exercises don't alternate , do as separate exercises
Wrist curl
Back (I'm at a loss here canI will send you something that work amazingly well.by PM someone recommend a dumbbell exercise for this that will benefit strengthening my back for carrying a ruck)

I appreciate any guidance you guys can give me so I hit the right areas, my legs are very strong but upper body is quite week (I can throw down 70 push ups no stopping but that would be my max). Abs are very week now as I had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery about a month ago (doc approved me for exercise no weight limits anymore) Good luck with SFAS.

civil
12-22-2009, 09:37
Wow thanks for the feedback Blitzzz!
I will be setting up my garage tonight and starting the program tomorrow.

Looking forward to the results, I will be focusing entirely on the Blitz program and logging my results.

Cheers,
Civil-

abc_123
12-22-2009, 22:27
Just a tip... since you're keeping track of your reps, also keep track of your total workout time. That will give you an idea of how hard/fast you are pushing through your circuits. Too much rest between sets will negate the strength endurance/cardio benefits.

I personally take a time hack right before I begin my first set and then take hacks immediately following the last set of every circuit. That way I get a feel for how fast I complete each circuit and my total workout time.

It is a way to make sure that I am not milking the time between sets and gives me another way to compete with myself.

YMMV.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-22-2009, 22:39
There is a tendency to "sneak":lifter:boohooa few seconds between exercises.....LOL

abc_123
12-22-2009, 23:05
There is a tendency to "sneak":lifter:boohooa few seconds between exercises.....LOL

Yep. That's why I started timing myself. That, plus adding that 3rd circuit today made a big difference. The workouts are now back into the "i'm not looking forward to this but I know it will be good for me" category. was feeling fairly "unwell" on that last circuit.

FYI---

During my solid week of two circuits 3x weekly last week, I pretty much saw a 2-5% (minimum)rep gain on each circuit for each exercise each day over the previous workout. Today I hung tough on some exercises on my 3rd circuit, but on several I gassed on the third circuit and had a significant dropoff in reps. I expect that they will come up quickly given that I'm only a couple of weeks into this.

RLK
12-28-2009, 23:46
I just wanted to take a sec to thank Blitzzz for putting this mass of info. online and for lending his expertise to those of us who've asked for it so selflessly.

Massive props.

civil
12-29-2009, 12:13
I did my first rep maxes and configurations last week, this was my first access to the internet since then otherwise I would have posted the results sooner.

I setup a Google docs account with link below for anyone to see.

I was distracted and used a 25lb plate with my crunches - body weight + 90lbs was my max unsure how to calculate how much is my legs to adjust weight as needed, any thoughts?

I canceled the shoulder press as it seemed to be hitting a lot of the muscles the chest press did, will try moving chest to #1 and shoulders to last to see if that helps.

I know you said to round down, but I only have 2.5lb, 5lb, 10lb, and 25lb plates for my dumbbells. Is it ok to keep the weights where I have them or should I drop the weight? (for instance would have to change the 15lb hammer curls to 10lbs (calculated out to 13.333~))

Thank you for the feedback, I definitely felt like it was a great workout overall and soreness was very minimal!

Results stored on Google Docs:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjYGrY-AmmE7dGdndUNrM1hpUnlra1JlS2d2d3FMbEE&hl=en

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-29-2009, 14:54
Try this.I did my first rep maxes and configurations last week, this was my first access to the internet since then otherwise I would have posted the results sooner.

I setup a Google docs account with link below for anyone to see.

I was distracted and used a 25lb plate with my crunches - body weight + 90lbs was my max unsure how to calculate how much is my legs to adjust weight as needed, any thoughts? Body weight w/o legs...Sit on a scale in a chair with you feet on the floor, this will be close. You can decrease body weight on a total gym or leg press machine,..

I canceled the shoulder press as it seemed to be hitting a lot of the muscles the chest press did, will try moving chest to #1 and shoulders to last to see if that helps. Just change exercises instead of shoulder press do shrug or butterlfys

I know you said to round down, but I only have 2.5lb, 5lb, 10lb, and 25lb plates for my dumbbells. Is it ok to keep the weights where I have them or should I drop the weight? (for instance would have to change the 15lb hammer curls to 10lbs (calculated out to 13.333~)) Get really good with the 10 and then go to the 15, a couple more days of high speed 10s. or wrap 1 lb weights on your wrist.. I don't know where you are but lead weights and Ace wrap may make up the difference.

Thank you for the feedback, I definitely felt like it was a great workout overall and soreness was very minimal!

Results stored on Google Docs:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjYGrY-AmmE7dGdndUNrM1hpUnlra1JlS2d2d3FMbEE&hl=en

civil
12-30-2009, 09:16
Thanks Blitzz I'll make those changes :)

Is there a good time to start increasing sets, say 1 set for 1 week 2 sets for 1 week then do 3, or is it based on progress?

I don't think I could have done much more but I would have liked to do 2 sets this last time around.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-30-2009, 09:49
Thanks Blitzz I'll make those changes :)

Is there a good time to start increasing sets, say 1 set for 1 week 2 sets for 1 week then do 3, or is it based on progress?

I don't think I could have done much more but I would have liked to do 2 sets this last time around.

Progress as you become within about 10% of the first Circuit reps.
or when you think you "feel" ready.

Big Daddy59
01-05-2010, 20:40
Just when things were going good on this program, I rip my knee up, this is very frustrating and very maddening as of now, been laid up over the holidays and it looks like a slow rehab which started today..tried to lift but I cannot get a solid base to stand, got ran out of the gym.....:mad::mad::mad:

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-10-2010, 00:38
Big daddy, sorry to hear about your injury.. Lay off and heal just do range of motion for a while.

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-11-2010, 21:25
Guys I'm going to be off the site for the month of March. I'm asking for someone to aAct as POI for any new guys asking for "BLITZ MATERIAL".
I'd just like someone to man the thread and send The Material to them buy E-MAIL.. Any Volunteer please PM me. and we can work out the Details.

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-13-2010, 22:04
If you desire a copy of the system, you will need to contact by PM "Blitzzz", and send your E-mail address.
You E-mail address is needed to send you a copy.

During the month of March you may also PM "Grado" or "Milon". These two folk will be able to send you a copy. Blitz will not be on for the month of March.
Good luck to all of you and I hope you great results.

New guys should do a PTTest first for a base reference. then 4 weeks of Blitz followed by a second PT test, then 4 more weeks of Blitz and a final PT Test. Please record all numbers for a good comparison.
Thanks, Blitzzz

MILON
01-14-2010, 14:29
I just wanted to make a quick note to piggy back Blitz's message. I am more than will to help and can get the Blitz system to anyone who requests it. Its also my pleasure to answer any questions you may have. However, I will be in SOPC and then SFAS for the months of Feb and March. Feel free to contact me regardless, but realize I may not be able to respond as soon as you like, for obvious reasons.

Blitz, thanks for all your help and I am happy to assist.

Milon

Blitzzz (RIP)
02-08-2010, 17:22
Gentlemen, I am posting the following for guidance in using the system. Presently there is a testing
being conducted at Tennessee State University in Nashville, by the Physical Therapy department.

For those of you thinking about using this system, you may use the following as a guide to gather and report Data.
First: Personal Data Sheet. Record the following:

Date:

Weight:
Height:
Neck :
Biceps: R: L:
Forearm: R: L:
Chest:
Waist: \
Thigh: R: L:
Calf: R: L:

Pre test:
Two mile time:
Pushups x2 minutes:
Crunches:

Personal Exercise velocity: Degrees/second

Subjective comment on post exercise indications.
Flushed
Winded
Fatigued
Pains

Notes:
Weight: Recorded in pounds
Height: Recorded in Inches

Circumference recorded in inches on the following:
Biceps, Forearms, Chest, Waist, Thigh, Calf:
Pre test: Conducted with in one week off starting exercise program
Two mile : Time to complete two miles, walking or running or any combination there of. Recorded in Minutes.
Pushups x2 minutes: Male: extended between hands and feet. Female: extended between hands and knees Females may do either.
Crunches x2 minutes: Done on flat back with knees bent and hands on SIDE of head, not behind the head.
Each Crunch will be counted when shoulders are raised clear of the ground

Personal Exercise velocity: Degrees/second
Determined by #of reps in 15 secs x 4 x Movement degrees ( Knee extensions = 90 gegrees) / 60 seconds. Ex (27 x 4 =108 x 90= 9,720 /60 = 162) 162 is degrees per second.

Second:New Blitz Instructions
Note: Set up and performance of the Blitz should be as exact as possible as outcome will be affected.
The Blitz is a fine tuned system to the individual, and strengthens muscle fibers not exercised by any other system. To reach these fibers, strict adherence to performance points must be maintained.
Muscle bundles have their greatest strength in the middle 60% of bulk and 40% at the ends. Blitzing will strengthen those ends.

Blitz phases

First Phase is the Set up.
Day one is the first phase and involves setting up your circuits.
Design a 6 to 8 exercise circuit. Do not include the same muscle group in two exercises of a circuit. ( this is critical).
AT the gym you will set up each exercise station and on each one, you will do three things.
1. Warm up with light weight.
2. Find you 1 RM. (the max weight you can lift only once).
3. Record that number.
4. Divide that number by 3 to determine you start weight for that exercise.
5. Set up that station with the start weight.
6. Have someone count reps for you and you need to push one minute at this station, at full speed, holding nothing back.
7. The person counting the reps needs to record the total reps/min and the First 15 seconds of reps.
8. Multiply the 15 Second rep count by 4 to find your “Goal Reps”.
9. Now record the “Start weight, and Goal Reps” on your work out sheet .
10. Do this for each exercise. Then run one circuit foe time/and familiarity.
11. That is it for Phase one…..go home.

Second Phase is the Endurance Phase.
This is the endurance phase and has no changes to Goal Reps and Start Weight.
There is no time line for this phase but normally about 2.5 weeks.
1. First day will be one circuit only.Do one circuit at full speed and then go home.
2. The follow few days will have you doing two circuits until you are close to Goal rep speeds in the first circuit and within 10 reps on the second circuit..
3. When that point is reached then increase to 3 circuits.
4. Do three circuits until you are doing all circuits at the Goal rep speeds. A special note here: The second circuit reps WILL be higher than the first and third. (AlWAYS).
5. AT this point you are ready to enter the third phase.

Third Phase is the strengthening phase.
It is only in this phase that you will begin increasing weights.
From this point on all weight increases are 20% of the existing weight.
1. When you are doing 3 circuits of an exercise at Goal reps you will raise the weight of that exercise by 20%. Example: 60# x .20 = 12# …so the new weight will be 72#..
2. Do each exercise as you reach goal reps.. Not all of the exercises will advance the same days. Increase weight only when that exercise ghoal is met.
3. When the new weight is met then the increase will be 20%. This number get bigger and bigger, but it works.
4. No one have taken this out to the point of not being able to handle a 20% gain in 8 weeks, so if toy’re gaining and want to you can continue until 20% becomes too much.

Hope this aids you in you data collecting.

98G
02-08-2010, 19:41
I just wanted to make a quick note to piggy back Blitz's message. I am more than will to help and can get the Blitz system to anyone who requests it. Its also my pleasure to answer any questions you may have. However, I will be in SOPC and then SFAS for the months of Feb and March. Feel free to contact me regardless, but realize I may not be able to respond as soon as you like, for obvious reasons.

Blitz, thanks for all your help and I am happy to assist.

Milon

Also per PM with Blitz, if needed, I can get materials to anyone who requests it and will be online daily -- however, for advice you will want to find Milon. :-)

Blitzzz (RIP)
02-25-2010, 19:13
Anyone going to SFAS and using the Blitz please let me know. I am now training one individual Blitz only for SFAS. Just curious of how it's going.

civil
03-01-2010, 15:11
I am using the Blitz program (aprox 2 months now) and am currently finishing up the paperwork with my recruiter and my preliminary date for Boot will be in 3 months on an 18x-ray contract. I will know a definite date in a few weeks (waiting on operation report from my surgery before heading down to MEPS)

I just started blitzing one day then running the next then repeating resting on Sundays as to follow the recommended 1 day Hard 1 day easy workout in USAREC Pamphlet 601-25 (http://www.usarec.army.mil/im/formpub/REC_PUBS/p601_25.pdf)

On my runs after 2 miles I do 10 push-ups on every road I cross (3 each half mile)

So far after the two months I am doing 3 full circuits, 10-60 seconds rest in between each to switch weights and start timer, and it's going great in my opinion.

If there is any info you need or any suggestions please let me know.
I can provide you with an excel sheet of my weights/reps etc if you would like.

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-01-2010, 16:52
I'd like to see your numbers start to finish. For my analysis. and My record keeping. Do you feel ready for SFAS?

civil
03-01-2010, 18:15
I feel ready for boot and confident that by the time I graduate jump school using your program as much as possible I will be ready for SFAS.

I am in MUCH better shape than I was when starting, meaning my strength and endurance have increased greatly.

Areas I feel need improvement upon are general endurance and running endurance.

As a note before starting the Blitz program I had trouble running a 1/2 mile straight and without any running can now jog 1/2 mile in under 4 minutes. With work I believe I can get that up to snuff with what is needed for SFAS, my recruiter will be helping me on form and technique for running.

Excel format: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymey2w204gn/Blitz Log.xls
Open Office format: http://www.mediafire.com/file/injxgz0yu1m/Blitz Log.ods
PDF format: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zjgycyumzmm/Blitz Log.pdf

I would appreciate any feedback you have on my numbers

Cheers,
Civil

suede18
03-01-2010, 18:30
Civil, just curious did you happen to record your pushup, situp, run times before and after Blitzing for 8 weeks? If so how well did you progress?

civil
03-08-2010, 09:33
suede18 - I did take notes as to my numbers before starting but I seem to have misplaced them. From memory it was about 30 pushups, 50 sit-ups and I want to say around 30min for 2mile.

I will measure pushups and sit-ups again as soon as I get a chance.
Now that I am running again my latest time was 20min for 2 miles (I run up a nice sized hill so I expect a little less than that on flat ground)

I have a ways to go on my running time; if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve I am grateful.

Currently I just found the fastest pace I could go without stopping or slowing down and run that for 2 miles. As my body is conditioned to that speed I will keep increasing my pace to improve time.

I blitz 3 days run 3 days and rest on Sunday.

suede18
03-08-2010, 10:13
With consistant action you'll improve your run times. Try running in intervals i.e. sprints for 30 seconds, then jog for that time, sprint 45 seconds, then jog or walk that time etc. Get with an experienced runner that could let you in on tips that has worked for them. The best way to get what you want is to ask intelligent questions from those who know.

Civil: When will you be leaving for BCT?

civil
03-08-2010, 15:20
suede18 - As soon as my medical records are sent over I will go down to MEPS with my recruiter and get my date, he is expecting my ship date to be 3 months.

(had surgery a few months ago, recruiter says no problem with that and my surgeon wrote me a glowing note clearing me of any restrictions)

suede18
03-08-2010, 15:23
Best of luck to you and keep up the hard work. It will pay off in the future.

suede18
03-08-2010, 15:32
Heres how Ive progressed since Feb 18. Ive not yet reached the 8 week point but thought the results thus far were worth sharing. Ill update in the future prior to leaving for ft. benning.

Note: *Blitzzz and I started my program early during January but didnt keep a consistant rountine going due to his equipment being outdoors during the coldest month of the year.

*My blitzing is done on the Weider Crossbar machine. Its older and the weights are not exact as the should be.

Anyway enjoy and let me know what you all think,

WL

civil
03-09-2010, 07:03
suede18 - Just curious do you know how your numbers on the Weider Crossbar machine compare to using free-weights?

I have been using free-weights and am just curious.

zeke
03-09-2010, 08:49
suede18, it might be interesting to do an APFT at times during the Blitzz program to see how your scores change. Just a thought.:lifter

suede18
03-09-2010, 08:53
civil- thats a good question and Id like to know as much as you. The weights coucld be as much as 5lbs off but no more than 10.

zeke-as im eligable to take my official apft next week you can bet Ive been doing such. Not during my blitz workout as that would offset the routine.

Riflecop1
03-10-2010, 21:07
I've seen some posts on this thread about using free weights instead of machines to Blitz but no references to calisthenics. Has anyone successfully applied the Blitz protocol to a calisthenic workout?

I can see how it could be problematic because the program calls for establishing a start point using 1/3 of 1RM. But with some excersise modifications and a little experimentation with rep ranges it doesn't seem like the problems would be insurmountable.

I'm interested in trying the Blitz program but I much prefer calisthenics to free weights or machines.

Regards,

Riflecop1

Surgicalcric
03-10-2010, 23:18
I am curious if any of you guys who have been doing this program measured your 1-Rep Max on any of the major lifts (bench, dead-lift, back-squat, front-squat, push-press, squat-clean, etc and free-hanging pull-ups) with free-weights before and during/after this workout program or if your strength gains were measured entirely with cables? If free weights were used, I would be interested in seeing the numbers.

Crip

Stingray
03-11-2010, 20:09
Seeking advice on work out routine.
I am working on lowering my 2 mile run time. I will be starting the Blitz workout tomorrow. My question is where do you position your run days around the blitz 3 workout days per week? Or are you not running while on the program?
I am not a strong runner and I am worried about taking running completely out of the schedule. I am still working on conditioning the small muscles of the lower leg. The vertical muscle that runs just outside of the shin bone is still tightening up when I get fatigued.
Anyone have ideas while Blitzz is out this month? I want to smoke the running section at the end of April.

Sincerely,

suede18
03-11-2010, 22:08
Crip- No I dont have free weights available but if/when I do ill be sure to record the max reps and weights in comparison to cable weights and let you know.

Stingray-I run 15-20 mins every morning in prep for official apft coming up next thursday. Im not a pro or expert runner nor do I act as if I am therefore others can answer your question more satisfactory, as for me I have Lots of room to improve. By working leg extensions, hamstring curls, and calf raises I have seen my 2 mile run times improve dramatically and an overall long distance gain as well. Good luck with your test, hope ya max it!

JumpinJoe1010
03-12-2010, 07:58
I am curious if any of you guys who have been doing this program measured your 1-Rep Max on any of the major lifts (bench, dead-lift, back-squat, front-squat, push-press, squat-clean, etc and free-hanging pull-ups) with free-weights before and during/after this workout program or if your strength gains were measured entirely with cables? If free weights were used, I would be interested in seeing the numbers.

Crip

My numbers are on one of the first pages of this thread. The only max which comes to mind is my begging max on bench, and it was 230. I have moved twice since using Blitz's system, so I can't find any numbers.

I used a mixture of cables and free weights and saw large rep increases overall. I eventually was adding the increments prescribed by Blitz, because I was achieving my calculated goals. My overall endurance and physical fitness was phenomenal compared to any fitness program I have ever did.

Riflecop1
03-12-2010, 20:15
Okay, I've tried to PM Milon and 98G for a copy of the Blitz program but evidently my PM isn't functioning properly; I've sent three PMs yet my Sent Items folder still says (0 Messages).

I do have one message in my Inbox so evidently that works.

I would like a copy of the Blitz program. Can someone who is able to send a copy PM me?

Thank you,

Riflecop1

suede18
03-12-2010, 20:32
riflecop- PM coming in hot!

Riflecop1
03-12-2010, 21:26
Strange, I just got PMs from both Stingray and suede18. I tried to respond to them both with my email and the message still wouldn't send.

I'm going to post my email for a copy of the Bllitz program. Please, this is my work email so no wierd stuff.

kjones@ci.jackson.wy.us

Thank you

98G
03-12-2010, 22:15
Strange, I just got PMs from both Stingray and suede18. I tried to respond to them both with my email and the message still wouldn't send.

I'm going to post my email for a copy of the Bllitz program. Please, this is my work email so no wierd stuff.

kjones@ci.jackson.wy.us

Thank you

It should be in your email, Riflecop. I am posting this so you do not get flooded with multiple copies. I was just off line a few hours... All, it is handled.

98G

Riflecop1
03-12-2010, 22:19
98G,

Got it.

Thanks all.

abc_123
03-12-2010, 23:30
FYI.. The blitz stickey pretty much has the basic info to get you started...

civil
03-14-2010, 20:26
In response to the running questions, I run 3 days a week and Blitz 3 days resting on the 7th (I very this day to mix it up)

I started the Blitz program at the end of December, did not do as regularly as I like - I am now keeping a consistent schedule, and started running 2.28.10.

My first impression was wow, I could run half a mile without stopping where before I couldn't run 50ft without getting winded lol (slight exaggeration)

As for running I have heard many different methods for me I just run up a big hill near my house for 2 miles (hill is .5) with out stop on a pace I can maintain then increase that pace. In the 2+ weeks I have been doing this my 2 mile went from ~22min40sec to 18min.

My running goal is 13min to ace the APFT and increase my endurance which I have noticed the running + Bltiz has improved greatly.

Stingray
03-14-2010, 20:29
Thanks Civil for the input.
Good luck on your upcoming pft.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-21-2010, 16:50
Seeking advice on work out routine.
I am working on lowering my 2 mile run time. I will be starting the Blitz workout tomorrow. My question is where do you position your run days around the blitz 3 workout days per week? Or are you not running while on the program?
I am not a strong runner and I am worried about taking running completely out of the schedule. I am still working on conditioning the small muscles of the lower leg. The vertical muscle that runs just outside of the shin bone is still tightening up when I get fatigued.
Anyone have ideas while Blitzz is out this month? I want to smoke the running section at the end of April.

Sincerely,
The Muscles you speak of are used to lift your foot from the floor, so when running they act to "soften the impact of each stride and not run flat footed. They're antagonist to your calves and get worked on your forward roll and then push off of your foot.
You can blitz those buy using your toes to pull a resistance up or toward your head. That exercise should have a starting position with the leg extended and the toes pointed away.
also as your legs strengthen during running the tendon and facia of that muscle get inflamed and cause schin splints. To prevent schin splints you should do prerunburns of those muscles by doing isometric upward pulls with easc foot against the heel of the other foot. Dave

Stingray
03-22-2010, 04:44
Roger that. I have a band so I will start doing the exercise immediately.

Thank you for the response. And, I love the workout.

Sincerely,

forward
04-24-2010, 21:14
I started the Blitz Program (correctly) on 27MAR10. When I started I fatigued easily towards the end of the minute due to low muscle endurance. In the last week or so, I have been continually adding weight to each exercise.

I Blitz 3 times a week.

My initial maximums:

Exercise 1Rep Max
Military Press 225
Half Squat 300
Lat Pull 270
Calve Raises 315
Seated Row 150
Shurgs 180

27MAR10 Numbers:
Exercise Start WT RD 1 Goal Reps
Military Press 75 74 92
Half Squat 100 84 96
Lat Pull 90 50 64
Calve Raises 105 105 128
Seated Row 50 61 88
Shrugs 60 108 144

22APR10 Numbers:
Exercise Start WT RD1 RD2 RD3 Goal Reps
Military Press 90 94 99 97 92
Half Squat 120 98 101 101 96
Lat Pull 108 64 66 64 64
Calf Raises 100 131 133 133 128
Seated Row 60 90 91 89 88
Shrugs 70 147 150 150 144

Tomorrow's Weight:
Exercise WT
Military Press 108
Half Squat 144
Lat Pull 129
Calf Raises 120
Seated Row 72
Shrugs 84

Hope this helps.

V/r,

Forward

forward
04-25-2010, 18:46
Today's numbers:

Exercise 1RM Start WT RD 1 Reps/min RD 2 Reps/min RD 3 Reps/min Goal Reps
Military Press 225 108 90 97 90 92
Half Squat 300 144 95 102 101 96
Lat Pull 270 129 62 63 57 64
Calf Raises 300 120 127 131 130 128
Seated Row 150 72 90 94 93 88
Shrugs 180 84 136 138 137 144

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-25-2010, 19:07
Today's numbers:

Exercise 1RM Start WT RD 1 Reps/min RD 2 Reps/min RD 3 Reps/min Goal Reps
Military Press 225 108 90 97 90 92
Half Squat 300 144 95 102 101 96
Lat Pull 270 129 62 63 57 64
Calf Raises 300 120 127 131 130 128
Seated Row 150 72 90 94 93 88This one you can bump the weight to 86# (it come to 86.6# but you will always round down.)
Shrugs 180 84 136 138 137 144

Notice how quick your progression is. Probably one more day and you'll be bumping the weights again...It's fast when you reach this point.

BravoCharlie
04-26-2010, 11:30
Good copy, Blitzzz. Thanks again.

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-26-2010, 16:48
I received BC's PMs and sent out that info. Thanks

forward
04-27-2010, 22:04
I am in the start of week 5 of Blitz. I retested my one repetition maximums today.

1 rep max old: New
Military Press 225 305
Half Squat 300 560 (Maxed Out, no more room for weight)
Lat Pull 270 300 (Maxed Out, no more weight in the stack)
Calf Raises 300 400 (Maxed Out, no more weight in the stack)
Seated Row 150 280
Shrugs 180 300 (Maxed Out, no higher dumbbell weight)

v/r,

Forward

forward
05-04-2010, 19:53
Week 6 numbers from today's Blitz:

Exercise 1RM Start WT RD 1 RD 2 RD 3 Goal Reps
Military Press 225 105 92 97 96 92
Half Squat 300 172.5 97 107 107 96
Lat Pull 270 128 64 66 65 64
Calf Raises 300 140 126 132 131 128
Seated Row 150 85 87 90 88 88
Shrugs 180 80 144 150 145 144

V/r,

Forward

Sean
05-04-2010, 20:54
What's a half-squat? Does it have any benefits over a full squat? On a half-squat, how do you ensure identical form on each rep without the "bounce" out of the hole that occurs during a full squat?

Fud116
05-04-2010, 21:16
As far as I know, partial (half) squats don't involve the glutes and hamstrings as much as full squats do. I've always been told to do full squats, at least to parallel.

Just my .02 Cents

Surgicalcric
05-04-2010, 21:35
As far as I know, partial (half) squats don't involve the glutes and hamstrings as much as full squats do. I've always been told to do full squats, at least to parallel...

It was a rhetorical question.

Sean: You have a PM.

Crip

forward
05-04-2010, 21:39
Comment Deleted.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-04-2010, 22:56
Week 6 numbers from today's Blitz:

Exercise 1RM Start WT RD 1 RD 2 RD 3 Goal Reps
Military Press 225 105 92 97 96 92
Half Squat 300 172.5 97 107 107 96
Lat Pull 270 128 64 66 65 64
Calf Raises 300 140 126 132 131 128
Seated Row 150 85 87 90 88 88
Shrugs 180 80 144 150 145 144

V/r,

Forward

Forward, excellent, You know which exercises are ready to bump up and which ones need another day.

Bump: Military press, Half squats, Lat pulls,and shrugs.
another day with Calf Raises and Seated Rows. Your doing great. DAve

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-04-2010, 23:03
As far as I know, partial (half) squats don't involve the glutes and hamstrings as much as full squats do. I've always been told to do full squats, at least to parallel.

Just my .02 Cents

Squats, full or half do not exercise Hamstrings or Calves.
Calves are exercised with Heel raises (going up on tip toes) Best from a prestretched position Dorsiflexed to Plantar flexed.
Hamstrings are done with Hamstring curls.
Sean enjoy your PM.

Irishsquid
05-04-2010, 23:45
Blitz:

I work out at Golds gym (got a discount there, through my wife's work)

Trying to do the Blitz protocol, I find myself often having to wait for the next machine to be free...thus ruining my interval timing. How much is this going to impact my workout?

Basically, it's changing my workout from "Blitz," to a standard "Ultra High Repetition," workout. I'm still seeing a lot of benefit, but just curious as to whether or not I would be seeing faster/better gains if able to stick more closely to the intervals...

Thanks, in advance.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-05-2010, 00:26
Blitz:

I work out at Golds gym (got a discount there, through my wife's work)

Trying to do the Blitz protocol, I find myself often having to wait for the next machine to be free...thus ruining my interval timing. How much is this going to impact my workout?

Basically, it's changing my workout from "Blitz," to a standard "Ultra High Repetition," workout. I'm still seeing a lot of benefit, but just curious as to whether or not I would be seeing faster/better gains if able to stick more closely to the intervals...

Thanks, in advance.
What is Ultra high consist of?

You may be able to Blitz in the gym buy rotating exercises within the circuit as a machine is available.

A couple of minutes is ok...about 5 or 6. When we did three guys at once each one was having about 5 min between exercises

Irishsquid
05-05-2010, 00:42
What is Ultra high consist of?

You may be able to Blitz in the gym buy rotating exercises within the circuit as a machine is available.

A couple of minutes is ok...about 5 or 6. When we did three guys at once each one was having about 5 min between exercises

When I used to do UHR workouts, I think it was defined as 50+ reps in a set...

As for my intervals, I'm usually waiting 2-5 minutes between exercises.

MILON
05-05-2010, 16:44
I am curious what information Blitz and Surgicalcric have regarding squating. Would either of you mind PMing or just posting the information you have sent to Sean.

Thanks in advance.

Milon

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-05-2010, 17:02
.... when I know what you're looking for. In what vane is this question, safety, injury, strength...?

MILON
05-06-2010, 09:50
Blitzzz,

Well, I think effectiveness of the squat as an exercise in regards to increasing strength is obvious. Add resistance / reps, you get stronger. The debate seems to come in when you consider the degree of depth the movement should be performed. I was curious of your opinion on how deep you advise your clients to go and, in your years experience, what kind of injury patterns you have seen with the squat. I know coaches and trainers who preach "ass in the grass", 90 degrees, etc, to some who down right exclude the squat.

Just wanted to pick your brain, but I realize this is getting away from your blitzzz system a bit. I dont wish to debate anything, just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Milon

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-06-2010, 11:46
First of all the major strength of a muscle bundle is in the middle 60% with the weakest portions at the ends. You can notice how folks will cheat a little to get a curls started or to push up out of a squat to gain momentum for the lift.
That's why many will do Isotonic squats with 4 second movements through range.

I have seen way too many knees injured through "MaX" weight squats. Remember the more resistance through a joint the more compressed it becomes thus cartilage damage and tendonitis and ligament strains.
By building too much muscle strength first, the tendon and ligaments don't have sufficient time too adjust to the new power running through them and this causes tendonitis and ligament strains and ruptures.
If I'm working with a person who cannot rise from a deep squat then I start them doing Blitz type reps on a total gym set at the lowest position the person can lift from. the reps they do are from deep (ass on heels) to a 90Degree seated position.

When they're stronger then they can elevate the TG until they are at the 100% level. Then I start them doing "Full" squats.
The thigh muscle are doing the extension of the knee joint and are weakest in the end range of the squat. Strengthen that end first without damage to the cartilage.
remember , in all the Blitz exercising, the sinovial fluid movement is greatly enhanced. Great for repair and lug of movement.
Frankly it is hard to achieve the heavier squat weights without first developing the initial movement strength.

Dave

Surgicalcric
05-06-2010, 19:13
I am curious what information Blitz and Surgicalcric have regarding squating. Would either of you mind PMing or just posting the information you have sent to Sean.

Thanks in advance.

Milon

We talking front squats or traditional (back) squats?

In either position, I love squats and believe them to be the best single exercise(s) for building quad strength there is. They are also a great test of core strength, especially the front squat. The squat is also one of the most dangerous lifts and requires patience and good coaching to learn them properly.

As for depth of the squat and weight, when lifting heavy (1-3 rep max) I recommend people go no lower than 90 degrees. Some people use a chair or box, I have found a stability ball works great. On lighter sets I squat until my heels lift, with back squats; with the front squat that isnt an issue. As my Brother said, its the end of the muscle which are the weakest and one must bet past that strong part to build strength in the ends.

HTH,

Crip

abc_123
05-06-2010, 21:37
We talking front squats or traditional (back) squats?

In either position, I love squats and believe them to be the best single exercise(s) for building quad strength there is. They are also a great test of core strength, especially the front squat. The squat is also one of the most dangerous lifts and requires patience and good coaching to learn them properly.

As for depth of the squat and weight, when lifting heavy (1-3 rep max) I recommend people go no lower than 90 degrees. Some people use a chair or box, I have found a stability ball works great. On lighter sets I squat until my heels lift, with back squats; with the front squat that isnt an issue. As my Brother said, its the end of the muscle which are the weakest and one must bet past that strong part to build strength in the ends.

HTH,

Crip

Crip,
I'd say that depends on what you mean by "danger".

I'd bet that the number of people that have been killed doing squats is probably around zero. One can't say the same for the perennial favorite.. barbell bench presses.

abc

Surgicalcric
05-07-2010, 05:13
Crip,
I'd say that depends on what you mean by "danger"...

Danger of serious injury is what I was referring to: back/neck disc herniation's, hip dislocations and labrum tears, knee dislocations and meniscus issues or ligament tears, etc. I suppose I should have been a lil more specific.

The barbell bench is, as you mention, a dangerous lift as well and a spotter should be utilized anytime lifting for 1-3 rep max/max effort to minimize the chances of asphyxiation from the bar falling on the chest or trachea due to a structural failure (tendons, ligaments) or muscle fatigue/failure or tear.

That said I wouldnt leave these lifts or any of the major free weight barbell lifts out of any routine or training plan for the athlete or soldier serious about building strength.

Crip

Surgicalcric
05-08-2010, 07:09
Interesting, How much have you gained in 5 years of lifting from the start until now?

Define gained?

I was stating those who have been doing it (lifting seriously) a while know there is a difference in the actual weight being moved thru a given range of motion between mechanical advantage systems (smith machine, nautilus, hammer strength) and free weight.

As for my personal experience, until about 4 years ago my gym time revolved around the typical bodybuilder style routine with running and rucking thrown in. I came to the realization the size of my biceps had little to do with my ability to function on the battlefield and with that came a serious change in how I lift. I started supplementing my workouts with Crossfit and Gym Jones stuff and did this for a while not really getting much out of it (due to over training) until I came across Mountain Athlete. I then shifted my focus and left the curls, leg press and extensions behind in exchange for more dead-lifts, cleans, sandbag get ups, pull ups, walking lunges, percentage lifts, etc...

Since then my major lifts have improved greatly and I am leaner, faster and stronger. Many of the plateaus I had have been broken and my endurance/work capacity is much better than it was...

Combat fitness, not routine fitness...

Crip

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-08-2010, 07:57
Moving a resistance through the air has always been the mainstay of exercise. The major difference between free and control movements is the free movement change in resistance through their arch with the relationship of the load and axis in the Line of gravity (LOG). This change affects muscle strength in varying portions of the Muscle excursion. Controlled movement maintains a "constant" resistance through the excursion of the Muscle.
Secondly with the high velocity of the free weight create inertia that elevates resistance at the ends of the Movement arch with direction change. This requires and additional reduction of start weights of about 10%.

Sean
05-08-2010, 08:52
Moving a resistance through the air has always been the mainstay of exercise. The major difference between free and control movements is the free movement change in resistance through their arch with the relationship of the load and axis in the Line of gravity (LOG). This change affects muscle strength in varying portions of the Muscle excursion. Controlled movement maintains a "constant" resistance through the excursion of the Muscle.
Secondly with the high velocity of the free weight create inertia that elevates resistance at the ends of the Movement arch with direction change. This requires and additional reduction of start weights of about 10%.

In each of the major barbell lifts (squat, press, bench press, and deadlift, AKA the slow lifts), the bar path is vertical, or as close to vertical as possible. Thus, there is no change in axis or line of gravity, no arch, and therefore no change in resistance. Where a leg press machine ontrols the path of resistance with lubricant and steel, a squat is controlled by the musculature of the legs, abdominals, and posterior chain, and all of the connective tissues and structures therein. A 400lb. squat is 400lbs. from the top, to the hole, and back to the top. The fact that there is a stretch refllex and "bounce" at the lowest point of the eccentric doesn't change the fact that the resistance is constant.

The Olympic lifts (snatch and clean & jerk, AKA the quick lifts), also have a vertical bar path. Some lifters perform the snatch with a slight forward arcing bar path, mainly to clear the kness before full extension. The "high velocity" is necessary to raise the weight to a point where it can be dropped under and caught while "floating" at the point where upward velocity(the pulls) is overcome by downward velocity (gravity). This is not a direction change that produces any additional resistance. If an athelete can front squat 300lbs., and deadlift 300lbs., he is physically strong enough to clean 300lbs. Conversely, an athlete with a 1000lb. leg press and a 200lb. seated row is not guaranteed to be able to clean even 150lbs., due to the lack of strengthened connective tissue, as well as the athlete's unfamiliarity with controlling heavy loads through his body's full range of motion, from deadlift start, through three pulls, to a catch in a rock-bottom front squat, and up into a postition for a jerk or press. People who come to Crossfit from a gym-rat, "bodybuilding" background where resistance is primarily controlled by pulleys, lubricant, and steel often run into serious injuries because of this.

The "reduction in start weights" is more a function of training and practicing form and technique on the technically demanding Olympic lifts, than any relation between the inherent inertia and the resistance of the lift itself.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-08-2010, 10:47
Sean , Thanks for the breakdown of the lift. Connective tissue is a big source of injury, as it is being pushed to the limit.
Doing a lift that you specify require Training in technique for that lift. The body is then exposed to the possible hazards if done improperly.
If a person exercises to strengthen connective tissue along with muscle then the likely hood of that type injury is greatly reduced. But "training" those muscles to do that lift is critical. We differ in our opinions of strengthening the connective tissue.

Connective tissue strengthening requires lower resistance over longer times as the muscle strengthens much faster than connective tissue. After the C Tissue is strengthened then lift all the big stuff you want with better protected tendon and ligaments.

Sean
05-08-2010, 11:43
True, muscle does strengthen quicker than connective tissue. However, the disparity between the two usually isn't enough to cause injury without external factors, i.e. steroids or other hormone enhancements. It just simply isn't possible naturally to gain strength in a muscle so quickly that it threatens the connective tissue. Our bodies are designed a bit better than that.

That being said, any decent progressive-overload strength program will build muscular strength at a steadily increasing rate, say 10+ lbs. per day for a total novice and 5 lbs. per week for an intermediate, and maybe even less than that for an advanced athlete close to his genetic potential. Because of the steady, relatively small increases (even for novices), the connective tissue isn't subjected to such a drastically strong muscle that it is under threat of injury. If that were the case, babies would develop tendon and ligament strains the instant they transitioned from walking to running.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-08-2010, 15:32
True, muscle does strengthen quicker than connective tissue. However, the disparity between the two usually isn't enough to cause injury without external factors, i.e. steroids or other hormone enhancements. It just simply isn't possible naturally to gain strength in a muscle so quickly that it threatens the connective tissue. Our bodies are designed a bit better than that.

That being said, any decent progressive-overload strength program will build muscular strength at a steadily increasing rate, say 10+ lbs. per day for a total novice and 5 lbs. per week for an intermediate, and maybe even less than that for an advanced athlete close to his genetic potential. Because of the steady, relatively small increases (even for novices), the connective tissue isn't subjected to such a drastically strong muscle that it is under threat of injury. If that were the case, babies would develop tendon and ligament strains the instant they transitioned from walking to running. Wrong assumption.
If you'd worked Physical Therapy long enough to see the Tendon and ligament damages from -itises to ruptures, you know that our muscles do inflect damage to connective tissue. Chronicle yourself the types of injuries in a gym and you'll see the disparity of connective tissue to Skeletal muscle injuries.
I'm not going to belabor these points I continually research these facts and quit sure of what I've said.
Math seems odd. 10 lbs to a load of 200 lbs. is 5% gain, 10 lb. to 50 lb.. is 20% gain how would those muscles differ?.
I've done your math and on the program you speak of the daily gains are less than 3%.

Give me a percentage of strength gain from you system that I may compare to my system. All of my previous claims are "Minimums".
Additionally this is a "Blitz only Thread" and your comments don't apply here if you are no using it or have valid questions about it. There are plenty of places to post all of the traditional stuff.
Here is the place to talk Blitz, not measuring dicks. Use it and then talk bad about it...

Sean
05-08-2010, 19:35
I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest, I'm just discussing training. I wasn't saying that muscle plays no part in connective tissue injury, I was making the point that a muscle will not naturally get so strong so fast through weight training that it poses a threat to the connective tissue.

The numbers I gave were more in reference to training adaptation levels and appropriate loading to make efficient use of a trainee's time. A true novice trainee has an amazing capacity to rapidly increase the load, dependent on age, sex, and other factors. A healthy young adult or even adolescent male can indeed take a load up 10-20lbs. every workout in the squat and deadlift for at least 1-2 months, at a rate of 3 workouts a week, with adequate nutrition and rest for growth. After that, the gains taper off a bit as his capacity for improvement outpaces his capacity to recover, and his training adaptation inches closer to his genetic potential. A male with a back squat of 50lbs. for sets across is nowhere close to his genetic potential, and thus can handle 10lb. (20%) jumps for quite some time, given adequate food and rest. Likewise, a male with a back squat of 200lbs. for sets across also has a great deal of capacity for improvement, yet is closer to his genetic potential than the athlete working with 50lbs. Thus, he can still sustain 10lb. (5%) jumps, but for a shorter timespan than the athlete who started with a lighter weight.

Using myself as an example of the above:
NOV 12, 2009: Max back squat 325lbs. at bodyweight of 190lbs.
Followed a linear progression for about 2 months, from Nov. 20 to January 11,at a rate of 3 workouts a week, squatting every workout. I reset once to break a plateau, and was able to increase my weights for 3 sets of 5 reps by 10lbs. for about the first month, and 5lbs. after that. My starting weight was 275 for 3 sets of 5 reps.
JAN 15, 2010: Max back squat 445, at a bodyweight of 230lbs.
120 lbs. increase over the course of 20 workouts.
40 lb. increase in bodyweight.
Strength-bodyweight ratio: From 1.7% to 1.9%

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-08-2010, 20:21
I have never said that any other program doesn't work. That's why the pros pay big money for what they call the best. However this is Blitz, and I'm telling any who care to try it , to do so. This thread is Blitz and any input to the other systems is moot. If one can get off of the standard type of work outs and can contribute here fine. If not, please take it to the other threads. There is no point in discussing alternatives to Blitz here, particularly if one has not participated in using the system.
I welcome all comments that are qualified. Meaning, have at least a working knowledge of the Blitz. Do not think "reading it" and trying to compare it to what else is out there counts as qualified. I would like to have anyone out there that has used the system to say a little about your experiences Good or Bad. What worked what didn't.

I know the system has never fail to deliver if used as written. Any modification is well worth exploring here. Please write, the rest of you need to post or comment where it may mean something to those who will use it.
AND, PM me which comments or suggestions that are not Blitz related.

Thanks to the over 200 people out there that have copies of the system, and please feel free to let the rest of us know how you fared.
Dave
An aside to Sean, with your start weight of 102 lbs for Blitz by the end of 8 weeks you would have been doing 438.5 lbs x 70 to 90 /min totaling somewhere between 30,330 lbs to 39,420 lbs per/min (plus doing 3 sets total of 118,260 lbs cumulative work). Not something you can duplicate with any other system.

Surgicalcric
05-08-2010, 20:28
...Additionally this is a "Blitz only Thread" and your comments don't apply here if you are no using it or have valid questions about it. There are plenty of places to post all of the traditional stuff.
Here is the place to talk Blitz, not measuring dicks. Use it and then talk bad about it...

Dave:

Surely you dont expect to make the claims you have here without someone asking questions about how you arrived at the stated numbers and how those numbers translate to strength projected outside the confines of a machine.

That being said, I am not interested in a dick measuring contest. I am however interested in open debate. If you are not then I suggest you stop making claims about how grand "The Blitzzz" is.

ETA: An aside to Sean, with your start weight of 102 lbs for Blitz by the end of 8 weeks you would have been doing 438.5 lbs x 70 to 90 /min...

Would that be 438 lbs of free weight or that attached to a cable machine? Again I find myself asking the same question about how it all relates. 438 lbs of free floating weight isnt the same when its controlled by pulleys and rods/bearings.

Crip

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-08-2010, 20:50
Open debate is fine, if you've used Blitz, you should be able to debate it, if you have not then it back to arguing what's "better". I have done this for so very long and the consistency is exact. I know it is difficult for nonusers to conceive this drastic a system and to be so different. Crip, I sent you my number and well gladly debate/discuss any concerns. Please give me a call. I have addressed concerns on this thread, I just get a bit worn out over the same-o standard guys (who I sure do great work with their own systems) trying to debunk that which they know not. Dave