PDA

View Full Version : Blitz only Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-08-2010, 20:11
Would that be 438 lbs of free weight or that attached to a cable machine? Again I find myself asking the same question about how it all relates. 438 lbs of free floating weight isnt the same when its controlled by pulleys and rods/bearings.

Crip

Just to answer this particular question. This is strength pure an simple. Free weights, cables, rubber bands. it equates to "work", "watts". the muscle fibers will be very strong and whether you lift mortar rounds all day or carry a ruck for weeks on end you will have much more strength and endurance to do it with.

Sean
05-08-2010, 21:37
I have to say, a 438lb. back squat performed 70-90 times in a minute is impossible. By back squat I mean me standing with a bar across my shoulders, and 438 lbs. in plates on either side, no attached pulleys or other metal bits. Moving from standing to squatting with the hip crease below the patella and back to standing takes, even unweighted, 1-2 seconds depending on the athlete. Now add 438 lbs. of load and you're talking about moving FASTER than that, for close to 100 times per minute. That is not only impossible, but trying to achieve that standard is extremely unsafe, and borderline stupid.

For your program to be taken seriously, you're going to have to provide empirical evidence. Hell, even a video of a typical Blitz workout would go a long way toward substantiating your claims. Promising someone the ability to perform 70x450lb. squats per minute just doesn't hold water without providing specific examples of actual, similar results.

Lastly, a leg press on a machine with 450lbs. and a barbell back squat with 450lbs. are such drastically different animals that saying "it's all strength" shows a misunderstanding of the nature of the barbell lifts versus their Nautilus "equivalents".

Irishsquid
05-08-2010, 21:46
Just my take. I'm "qualified," only in that I have done a great deal of PT for a few years. I've tried bodybuilding, CF, bodyweight work, and now Blitz. As far as building muscular strength and endurance, I've found that Blitz seems to work better than anything else I've tried. Crossfit and Military/MountainAthlete seem to be of massive benefit in improving neuromuscular connections, and general conditioning.

First time through CF/MA type workouts, I got very little benefit. Coming back after a cycle of Blitz, it seemed to make a huge difference, because I had the muscle mass to condition. I'm now cycling between Blitz and CF/MA...Blitz to build the muscle, and CF/MA to condition it to non-"static," lifts.

Just my take...I have no education in these matters...just speaking from my experience.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-08-2010, 22:51
I have to say, a 438lb. back squat performed 70-90 times in a minute is impossible. By back squat I mean me standing with a bar across my shoulders, and 438 lbs. in plates on either side, no attached pulleys or other metal bits. Moving from standing to squatting with the hip crease below the patella and back to standing takes, even unweighted, 1-2 seconds depending on the athlete. Now add 438 lbs. of load and you're talking about moving FASTER than that, for close to 100 times per minute. That is not only impossible, but trying to achieve that standard is extremely unsafe, and borderline stupid.

For your program to be taken seriously, you're going to have to provide empirical evidence. Hell, even a video of a typical Blitz workout would go a long way toward substantiating your claims. Promising someone the ability to perform 70x450lb. squats per minute just doesn't hold water without providing specific examples of actual, similar results.

Lastly, a leg press on a machine with 450lbs. and a barbell back squat with 450lbs. are such drastically different animals that saying "it's all strength" shows a misunderstanding of the nature of the barbell lifts versus their Nautilus "equivalents".

You are making a statement on an assumption of velocity, which you've not done your home work.

The example I gave is based on "your Numbers (lower numbers) the number of reps would be determined by you. An average of folks is about 400 degrees of movement when not limited by heavy weight. Many people are doing Squats around 80 reps min. SO you would start at 105 lbs at your rep speed and progress from there In eight that "could" become 438.lbs and you would be still moving at your set velocity.

Sean
05-09-2010, 09:05
An aside to Sean, with your start weight of 102 lbs for Blitz by the end of 8 weeks you would have been doing 438.5 lbs x 70 to 90 /min totaling somewhere between 30,330 lbs to 39,420 lbs per/min (plus doing 3 sets total of 118,260 lbs cumulative work). Not something you can duplicate with any other system.

You're right, no homework involved, just going by your statement, quoted above.

However, I did actually do some homework:

There are not 400 degrees of movement in a squat. Sorry, the body can't bend like that. Now, if by degrees of movement you're referring to velocity of movement (degrees/second), your system is flawed in two ways. First, the peak power generated by a muscle plateaus at 200-300 degrees per second. (Powers 164) Therefore, your prescription for athletes to move at 400 degrees per second is inefficient for developing max power output. Second, The force-velocity curve shows that maximal force decreases as velocity of movement increases. Therefore, strength gains from high-velocity movements are going to be minimal. Power will be improved, but without a strength base the athlete is wasting time.

The Westside Barbell Club uses Dynamic Effort work with their advanced powerlifters to increase power. Usually, 10 sets of 2 reps are done at 60% of max, as explosively and quickly as possible. A lifter will not get much stronger lifting only 60% of his 1RM, but he can get much more powerful. Increasing power (speed of muscle contraction) and strength (force of muscle contraction) are different sides of the same coin, and to make the most efficient use of a trainee's time is to focus on training them on separate days. An athlete squatting 500lbs. will be able to train power more efficiently than one squatting 200lbs., because of his better strength base.

Now, due to the Novice effect, in which when a person starts doing anything and all of their fitness attributes increase; a person starting your program from an unstructured or nonexistent exercise background will initially see improvements in both speed and power, as well as cardiovascular and muscular endurance, among other things. However, that athlete is essentially wasting time if he enters your program without a strength base that is closer to his genetic potentia. A strong athlete will always be more powerful, and able to train power more efficiently, than a weak one. Trying to make someone stronger by using submaximal (your program prescribes a starting weight of merely 33% of 1RM, which is too light to make any meaningful strength gains) weights at high speeds is counterproductive. Also, your claims of training and recruiting "tertiary muscle fibers" is flawed, because neural innervation by the CNS and recruitment of muscle fibers is best achieved at 50-60% of 1RM. Furthermore, prescribing an athlete to retest his 1RM every two weeks totally discards the fact that neural adaptation (the ability of the CNS to recruit muscle fibers) isn't completed until after 5 to 8 weeks of training.

That being said, I really can see a use for your program for rehabilitation and physical therapy applications, with some modifications. However, claiming that it's the best fitness program hands down for increasing strength and power (as well as cardio and muscular endurance) is hyperbole at best.

Of course, I could be proven totally wrong with some empirical evidence. Show me, hell, show the members of this board some hard, empirical evidence of atheletes squatting 100lbs. for 80 reps per minute. Show me one athlete who has progressed up to 300lbs. for 80 reps per minute. Show me any athlete who is capable of 80 unweighted squats, from full hip extension down to hip crease below the patella, in 1 minute. And then tell me why every single NFL, NHL, NBA, FIFA, NCAA and PGA Pro Tour athlete isn't kicking in your door and demanding this program.

Works Consulted:
Powers, Scott K. and Edward T. Howley. Exercise Physiology: Theory and Application to Fitness and Performance 7th Edition. New York:McGraw Hill. 2009

abc_123
05-09-2010, 09:23
I would have to say that with respect to "upper body" exercises, that I followed the Blitzzz as written, my experience is that I gained not only size/definition/vascularity, but also dramatically increased endurance while gaining strength. All were noticeable increases. My strength gain was evidenced by increasing resistance and achieving the same rep count. All increases were noticeable and had had not yet plateaued when I fell off of the Blitzzz wagon... through no fault of the system.

There is nothing I have done that has increased my pushup endurance (as measured by the ARMY APFT) as fast as the Blitzzz.

I do not know the impact on my one-rep max strength as I never re-maxed. Edit: Nor is increasing my strength a priority for me per se. I am plenty strong for all I need to do. Increasing endurance while maintaining my strength and avoiding further injury is what I am focused on.

I've been plagued with injuries lately (not caused by Blitzzing)....a minor shoulder tear and now a torn meniscus in my knee (surgery on tuesday)...when I start back into the gym seriously... it'll be using the Blitzz to work my ligaments/tendons to prevent injury and to get my strength endurance back up to par.

abc

forward
05-13-2010, 09:08
A few days late to post but numbers as of 11MAY10:

Exercise WT RD1 RD2 RD3 Goal
IP/125/85/89/86/92
HS/205/87/94/89/96
LP/152.5/52/56/54/64
CR/140/128/130/127/128
SR/85/86/88/87/88
SH/90/138/143/141/144

Overall definately feel the difference as the weight increases in fatigue factor. First Blitz at these weights reps fell from around 10-15 per exercise and getting to goal has been slower, however still trending upward and feel that tomorrow's Blitz will be within the area I want.

V/r,

Forward

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-13-2010, 10:18
A few days late to post but numbers as of 11MAY10:

Exercise WT RD1 RD2 RD3 Goal
IP/125/85/89/86/92
HS/205/87/94/89/96
LP/152.5/52/56/54/64
CR/140/128/130/127/128
SR/85/86/88/87/88
SH/90/138/143/141/144

Overall definately feel the difference as the weight increases in fatigue factor. First Blitz at these weights reps fell from around 10-15 per exercise and getting to goal has been slower, however still trending upward and feel that tomorrow's Blitz will be within the area I want.

V/r,

Forward

Yep, I'd stick with these, shouldn't be a problem. You're still gaining. we'll keep watching. How many weeks are you now?
Dave

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-13-2010, 10:55
Your "home work isn't all That good if you're reading the wrong stuff.
First No where have I said there were 400 degrees in a squat...
Secondly we Biodexed joint velocity at over 500 degrees per second. The rate slows to about 400 degrees with mild resistance.
You're right, no homework involved, just going by your statement, quoted above.

However, I did actually do some homework:

There are not 400 degrees of movement in a squat. Sorry, the body can't bend like that. Now, if by degrees of movement you're referring to velocity of movement (degrees/second), your system is flawed in two ways. This a totally boqus statement, as it is not flawed. Powers study obviously missed these speeds and results. First, the peak power generated by a muscle plateaus at 200-300 degrees per second. (Powers 164) Therefore, your prescription for athletes to move at 400 degrees per second is inefficient for developing max power output. Second, The force-velocity curve shows that maximal force decreases as velocity of movement increases. Therefore, strength gains from high-velocity movements are going to be minimal. Power will be improved, but without a strength base the athlete is wasting time. Your above statements on Max power are correct in the cases you present but not here, Blitzing increases strength an maintains velocity creating strength based power.

The Westside Barbell Club uses Dynamic Effort work with their advanced powerlifters to increase power. Usually, 10 sets of 2 reps are done at 60% of max, as explosively and quickly as possible. A lifter will not get much stronger lifting only 60% of his 1RM, but he can get much more powerful. Increasing power (speed of muscle contraction) and strength (force of muscle contraction) are different sides of the same coin, and to make the most efficient use of a trainee's time is to focus on training them on separate days. An athlete squatting 500lbs. will be able to train power more efficiently than one squatting 200lbs., because of his better strength base. Sean, You are failing to realize the Blitz is totally different from what you are trying to espose here. This "Westside Barbell Club uses Dynamic Effort work", works for them but what makes you assume that's the best there is or even conpares with this Blitz, again you have nothing to compare what you know with the Blitz as you've never experienced it.

Now, due to the Novice effect, in which when a person starts doing anything and all of their fitness attributes increase; a person starting your program from an unstructured or nonexistent exercise background will initially see improvements in both speed and power, as well as cardiovascular and muscular endurance, among other things. However, that athlete is essentially wasting time if he enters your program without a strength base that is closer to his genetic potentia. A strong athlete will always be more powerful, and able to train power more efficiently, than a weak one. Trying to make someone stronger by using submaximal (your program prescribes a starting weight of merely 33% of 1RM, which is too light to make any meaningful strength gains) weights at high speeds is counterproductive. Also, your claims of training and recruiting "tertiary muscle fibers" is flawed, because neural innervation by the CNS and recruitment of muscle fibers is best achieved at 50-60% of 1RM. Furthermore, prescribing an athlete to retest his 1RM every two weeks totally discards the fact that neural adaptation (the ability of the CNS to recruit muscle fibers) isn't completed until after 5 to 8 weeks of training.

That being said, I really can see a use for your program for rehabilitation and physical therapy applications, with some modifications. However, claiming that it's the best fitness program hands down for increasing strength and power (as well as cardio and muscular endurance) is hyperbole at best.

Of course, I could be proven totally wrong with some empirical evidence. Show me, hell, show the members of this board some hard, empirical evidence of atheletes squatting 100lbs. for 80 reps per minute. Show me one athlete who has progressed up to 300lbs. for 80 reps per minute. Show me any athlete who is capable of 80 unweighted squats, from full hip extension down to hip crease below the patella, in 1 minute. And then tell me why every single NFL, NHL, NBA, FIFA, NCAA and PGA Pro Tour athlete isn't kicking in your door and demanding this program.

Works Consulted:
Powers, Scott K. and Edward T. Howley. Exercise Physiology: Theory and Application to Fitness and Performance 7th Edition. New York:McGraw Hill. 2009
I don't know whats in your craw about this system other than your dogged love of the standard. If you have actual criticisms, I'm all ears but when you go off in a totally unfounded criticism of a system you Can't believe in. it makes you look petty. What is it you wish to gain from trying to debunk this system. Use your system and get a strong as as powerful and with the max endurance first and then challenge the Blitz to meet it goals as I have stated them. An Actual understanding wouldn't hurt you.
Sean by all means post in this thread all you like. I'm sure the other folks find you interesting also. Your comparisons make make this system look much better.
Dave

forward
05-13-2010, 14:15
Sir,

The numbers posted above are from week seven of Blitz.

V/r,

Forward

Sean
05-13-2010, 16:09
Your "home work isn't all That good if you're reading the wrong stuff
First No where have I said there were 400 degrees in a squat...

From 08 MAY 2010:
"An average of folks is about 400 degrees of movement when not limited by heavy weight. Many people are doing Squats around 80 reps min"

I was reading some wrong stuff, just so happens you wrote it.

Secondly we Biodexed joint velocity at over 500 degrees per second. The rate slows to about 400 degrees with mild resistance.

Now, it's awesome that you've Biodexed joints at 500 degrees per second. However, "For concentric contractions most dynamometers have a maximum speed of 500 degrees per second. The use of velocities is dependent on the joint tested and the ROM, however, higher velocities are usually only of academic interest. Corresponding eccentric velocities are not usually possible and are generally one-third less than concentric. Stretching an active muscle at high velocity poses a serious threat to muscle integrity (so don’t do it)" (http://www.isokinetics.net/basics/bio.htm) So what is the point of doing high-speed, high rep squats (or other movements with both a concentric and eccentric component), as your system advocates? By contrast, a traditional dynamic-effort program emphasizes a fast concentric, not eccentric phase of movement.

"Powers' study" wasn't actually a study, it was an Exercise Physiology textbook (As the citation noted), which is used to teach actual science, something your system is tragically short on. I wasn't presenting a case in which force decreases as velocity increases, I was presenting a scientific fact. Saying "it doesn't apply here" is implying that your system exists outside scientific facts, which certainly appears to be the case.

How does Blitzing "increase strength while maintaining velocity" when your starting weights are only 33% of 1RM? I quote my third paragraph: "neural innervation by the CNS and recruitment of muscle fibers is best achieved at 50-60% of 1RM." Your system isn't presenting the required stimulus for CNS innervation, at least not until an athlete's weights are increased to 50% of 1RM. That could take a very long time, given your preoccupation with maintaining velocity.

I have provided actual scientific critisms, based off of facts (College-level textbooks, even), of your program, which you refuse to address. Of course, it's quite easy to just brush aside pesky science as being too "standard" or even "petty" and not "cutting edge" enough to provide an explanation for your system's supposed "effectiveness." It's hard to believe in a system whose author cannot or will not provide hard, empirical evidence of its effectiveness and efficiency. I have nothing against you personally, and as I've said, I can definitely see a rehab application for your system with regards to restoring joint function, but your outlandish claims of it being "the ONLY truly new, BEST system for providing strength, power, and endurance" make me pause and take a look at the facts behind it.

It's hard to dispute a video of an athlete putting up 300lbs. in a barbell back squat 80 times in a minute. It's easy to dispute the dismissal of any and all criticisms of the system as "they just don't understand." Personally, I find that kind of attitude to be condescending and insulting, especially given my displayed understanding of multiple aspects of exercise science. Instead of calling us simpletons "knuckle draggers" and leaving it at that, show us something we CAN understand, like a video. Or a peer-reviewed study. Or... anything, really.

olhamada
05-13-2010, 20:30
As a triple boarded MD (OB/GYN, Fam Med, Sports Med) with 14 yrs of military medical experience (10 in SF) including Tropical, Diving/Hyperbarics (DMO), and High Altitude (Flight Surg), I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in here for all the doubters and scoffers.

I've personally met Dave. He sat down with me, explained his program in detail, and ran me through an entire workout.

His program is very well thought out. He has tested it on numerous volunteers. This is not something he just pulled out of his ear. He's had the education and the training.

The benefits are injury prevention, improved proprioception, fatiguing of primary muscle fibers to work on fibers that usually don't see the light of day, tendon strengthening, improvement of endurance, and gains in strength.

His program not only makes physiologic sense, but it works. Period.

Don't believe it? Try it.

Sean
05-13-2010, 21:21
As a triple boarded MD (OB/GYN, Fam Med, Sports Med) with 14 yrs of military medical experience (10 in SF) including Tropical, Diving/Hyperbarics (DMO), and High Altitude (Flight Surg), I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in here for all the doubters and scoffers.

I've personally met Dave. He sat down with me, explained his program in detail, and ran me through an entire workout.

His program is very well thought out. He has tested it on numerous volunteers. This is not something he just pulled out of his ear. He's had the education and the training.

The benefits are injury prevention, improved proprioception, fatiguing of primary muscle fibers to work on fibers that usually don't see the light of day, tendon strengthening, improvement of endurance, and gains in strength.

His program not only makes physiologic sense, but it works. Period.

Don't believe it? Try it.

Doctor,

Could you provide some tangible numbers on the improvements you witnessed while on the Blitz? Max lifts, VO2 Max, etc.?

As for the program making physiologic sense, is it safe to attempt multiple overspeed eccentrics in a compound movement like the squat, as would have to be done to execute 80 in a minute, especially under load?

Furthermore, at loads light enough to sustain for the required reps at the required velocity, can strength actually be improved in a non-Novice athlete, or even a Novice athlete beyond the very first stages of adaptation?

Finally, what type of athlete would you recommend the program for? What level of training adaptation, what types of goals, etc.?

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-13-2010, 23:10
Sadly, What your statements say aren't related to Blitzing.

"How does Blitzing "increase strength while maintaining velocity" when your starting weights are only 33% of 1RM? I quote my third paragraph: "neural innervation by the CNS and recruitment of muscle fibers is best achieved at 50-60% of 1RM."This is statement some other system of exercise. Your system isn't presenting the required stimulus for CNS innervation, at least not until an athlete's weights are increased to 50% of 1RM. This is an uninformed assumption, what do you base this assumption on.That could take a very long time, given your preoccupation with maintaining velocity.In this statement you suggest it taking a long time, again you couldn't know.

I have provided actual scientific critisms, based off of facts (College-level textbooks, even), of your program, which you refuse to address.Here you've provided nothing but criticims of this program. Of course, it's quite easy to just brush aside pesky science as being too "standard" or even "petty" and not "cutting edge" enough to provide an explanation for your system's supposed "effectiveness." Not brushing off science as petty, just pettiness.It's hard to believe in a system whose author cannot or will not provide hard, empirical evidence of its effectiveness and efficiency. I have nothing against you personally, and as I've said, I can definitely see a rehab application for your system with regards to restoring joint function, but your outlandish claims of it being "the ONLY truly new, BEST system for providing strength, power, and endurance" make me pause and take a look at the facts behind it.Hard to believe doesn't mean it doesn't work as claimed, only that you don't believe. What sort of "rehab" do you have experience to see rehab applications. While my claims may seem "outlandish" you can't provide any alternative system to deliver what I have claimed, and the best "empirical evidence" for you would be to do it for only 4 weeks to know a substantial gain. Presently tests will be run and I already know the outcomes as I have watched it unfailing in all aspect for over 18 years

It's hard to dispute a video of an athlete putting up 300lbs. in a barbell back squat 80 times in a minute. It's easy to dispute the dismissal of any and all criticisms of the system as "they just don't understand." Personally, I find that kind of attitude to be condescending and insulting, especially given my displayed understanding of multiple aspects of exercise science. Instead of calling us simpletons "knuckle draggers" and leaving it at that, show us something we CAN understand, like a video. Or a peer-reviewed study. Or... anything, really. You seem to be the only "we" making bold accusations and indicating me a liar.

This is likely to be the last time I bother to waste time on your nah saying. Post what you wish maybe some of it will actually address this system of exercise.

My apologies to the remainder of persons involved with this thread this is the last of my involvement with this pissing contest. Major unproductive time.

Sean
05-14-2010, 06:08
Sadly, What your statements say aren't related to Blitzing.

"How does Blitzing "increase strength while maintaining velocity" when your starting weights are only 33% of 1RM? I quote my third paragraph: "neural innervation by the CNS and recruitment of muscle fibers is best achieved at 50-60% of 1RM."This is statement some other system of exercise. Your system isn't presenting the required stimulus for CNS innervation, at least not until an athlete's weights are increased to 50% of 1RM. This is an uninformed assumption, what do you base this assumption on.That could take a very long time, given your preoccupation with maintaining velocity.In this statement you suggest it taking a long time, again you couldn't know.

Your density is astounding, as is your total unfamiliarity with the cornerstones of strength training. I didn't pull the 50% figure out of thin air, I pulled it out of a textbook, an Exercise Physiology textbook, like I have my other science-based arguments. Again, your reliance on blind faith is disturbing.

I have provided actual scientific critisms, based off of facts (College-level textbooks, even), of your program, which you refuse to address.Here you've provided nothing but criticims of this program. Of course, it's quite easy to just brush aside pesky science as being too "standard" or even "petty" and not "cutting edge" enough to provide an explanation for your system's supposed "effectiveness." Not brushing off science as petty, just pettiness.It's hard to believe in a system whose author cannot or will not provide hard, empirical evidence of its effectiveness and efficiency. I have nothing against you personally, and as I've said, I can definitely see a rehab application for your system with regards to restoring joint function, but your outlandish claims of it being "the ONLY truly new, BEST system for providing strength, power, and endurance" make me pause and take a look at the facts behind it.Hard to believe doesn't mean it doesn't work as claimed, only that you don't believe. What sort of "rehab" do you have experience to see rehab applications. While my claims may seem "outlandish" you can't provide any alternative system to deliver what I have claimed, and the best "empirical evidence" for you would be to do it for only 4 weeks to know a substantial gain. Presently tests will be run and I already know the outcomes as I have watched it unfailing in all aspect for over 18 years

Again with the blind faith thing, and dismissing legitimate claims as being petty.18 years is a long time to be sitting on a goldmine program like yours, without submitting it to anyone to get validated, or have its results documented. And you're right, I haven't named a system that can deliver what you claim, because a system that actually delivers on your promises doesn't exist.

All I've asked for is a decent, rational explanation of your system, and some proof of its effectiveness. Your inability to provide either, as well as your inability or unwillingness to discuss it in open forum professionally, dimishes your credibility and the crediblity of your system in the eyes of athletes who know a bit about strength training. When put on the spot, you mutter something about "believing" and "not understanding", then proceed to brush aside any and all criticisms while apologizing for the "unbeliever."

You seem to be the only "we" making bold accusations and indicating me a liar.

This is likely to be the last time I bother to waste time on your nah saying. Post what you wish maybe some of it will actually address this system of exercise.

My apologies to the remainder of persons involved with this thread this is the last of my involvement with this pissing contest. Major unproductive time.

As for the time being unproductive, it's a shame it wasn't spent learning about the science behind the "Blitz" system, and how it uses more than blind faith to produce strength and power gains.

Irishsquid
05-14-2010, 10:00
"If the theory doesn't match the results, it's time to find a new theory."

Personally, I don't care what the "exercise science," books say...or what the trainers, physical therapists, scientists, or coaches say. I care about the results. If your "theory," says Blitz won't work, and my results say it's working, then it sounds like you need a new theory.

Quite a few people have chimed in here with some pretty incredible results. That's enough for me. Why continually argue about the science, when the results say something totally different? What is the point of the pissing contest? Just start another thread to expound upon the virtues of Crossfit, or Militaryathlete, or grandpa's bodybuilding routine, or whatever else you care to push for.

MILON
05-14-2010, 10:37
I have to chime in here, just once. I've been here and done this and its really not worth your time Sean.

I have come to actually respect for Blitz' passion for what he is doing. I've also analyzed his program and do not totally believe in everything he says, but the points been risen that it works for those who use it. This is all that is needed! I haven't actually Blitzed, not because I dont believe it works, but because I have other methods that work for me. I believe if one really breaks Blitz down and digs enough it is actually based on basic training principles. It wouldnt work, if it wasnt.

Regardless, Irishsquid said it, if there is going to be a logical, fact/theory driven debate then let it roll. I enjoy reading that, but pissing contests are for personal time. Dont waste the readers time. Thats just my opinion anyway.

my .02 cents,

Milon

abc_123
05-14-2010, 11:18
Intresting discussion.

I have a question of my own.

Sean, what results did you get when you Blitzzed in accordace with the instructions?

I'd be very interested to hear your personal experience.

abc

spherojon
05-14-2010, 11:51
Intresting discussion.

Sean, what results did you get when you Blitzzed in accordace with the instructions?

abc
I was thinking the same thing. :munchin

Sean
05-14-2010, 16:44
Intresting discussion.

abc

Admittedly, I haven't done the Blitz, as I'm not one to drop one system impulsively based on the empty promises of another.

I did read your previous comment, however, and have decided that if I ever want to improve my APFT pushup score at the expense of a shoulder injury (90 reps per minute on the bench press, anyone?), I'll definitely give the Blitz a whirl.

Oh, and Blitzzz, what were the results of the testing at Tennessee State University conducted in February of this year? Or are the subjects still waiting to see measurable improvement?

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-14-2010, 17:42
Admittedly, I haven't done the Blitz, as I'm not one to drop one system impulsively based on the empty promises of another.

I did read your previous comment, however, and have decided that if I ever want to improve my APFT pushup score at the expense of a shoulder injury (90 reps per minute on the bench press, anyone?), I'll definitely give the Blitz a whirl.

Oh, and Blitzzz, what were the results of the testing at Tennessee State University conducted in February of this year? Or are the subjects still waiting to see measurable improvement?

With your line of sarcasm, why bother. There is no risk of shoulder injury Blitzing. Ask "anyone".
I'm not a liar and have not made false promises. Don't know where you read about the study in Feb. and it doesn't matter, it was set back to start this upcoming semester, and I don't believe you'll kneed to know. Just give you something else to attack.
Pass your PT test with what you know.
Or maybe punch a side of beef...

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-14-2010, 18:33
I am apologizing to all the members of this thread, for allowing myself to be dragged down into the "Stupid Pit.
In an aim to more Professionalism I'll ignore the insignificant posts and maintain a more Professional demeanor.
Once again I'm humbled and shamed for lowering to that level. Blitzzz

Sean
05-14-2010, 19:44
Blitzzz, I would also like to apologize to you publicly, as my last few posts have also been less than professional.

I have nothing personal against you, and harbor no grudge.

I suggest we agree to disagree, and move on.

In all seriousness, I would like to know the results of the TSU study, when it's completed.

Irishsquid
05-16-2010, 01:34
Blitz,
quick question:

My reps are not as high as some others have mentioned...usually in the area of 70-75 reps per minute. This is absolutely as fast as I can perform the exercises...I *think* this is a limitation of the cable machines I am using, coupled with the low weight. (Not enough weight to quickly return the stack to the starting position.)

If I complete four weeks, then recalculate my 1RM, and start the Blitz over, will that hinder my progress? I'm relatively certain that the added weight would actually increase my reps.)

Right now, I'm hitting "goal," reps for three circuits, on all but one exercise, so I'll be increasing the weight by 20% as of monday on those exercises.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-16-2010, 07:58
Blitz,
quick question:

My reps are not as high as some others have mentioned...usually in the area of 70-75 reps per minute. This is absolutely as fast as I can perform the exercises...I *think* this is a limitation of the cable machines I am using, coupled with the low weight. (Not enough weight to quickly return the stack to the starting position.)

If I complete four weeks, then recalculate my 1RM, and start the Blitz over, will that hinder my progress? I'm relatively certain that the added weight would actually increase my reps.)

Right now, I'm hitting "goal," reps for three circuits, on all but one exercise, so I'll be increasing the weight by 20% as of monday on those exercises.

No need to recalculate 1 Rm. just move up the weights as planned. It is common to not move those types of machines much beyond 60 to 65 reps/min.

Sounds like your doing fine. Dave

abc_123
05-16-2010, 20:27
Admittedly, I haven't done the Blitz...

Ok.

I faithfully followed the Blitz AFTER being diagnosed with a shoulder tear and burcitis that I was given the option by the doc at WRAMC of arthro surgery to fix or just "living with it," ...with the option to come back in when I felt that I couldn't handle the pain or felt like I was being unduly constrained by the shoulder.

The injury did not get worse. In fact it feels much better now.

Just my personal experience...

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-16-2010, 20:39
Ok.

I faithfully followed the Blitz AFTER being diagnosed with a shoulder tear and burcitis that I was given the option by the doc at WRAMC of arthro surgery to fix or just "living with it," ...with the option to come back in when I felt that I couldn't handle the pain or felt like I was being unduly constrained by the shoulder.

The injury did not get worse. In fact it feels much better now.

Just my personal experience...

This is really good news. Glad it helps.

CBHRigger
05-19-2010, 07:27
Ok Blitzzz, here are my numbers. I was using cable type machines at the local gym. Noticed some of the machines could not keep up with repitions as others have stated. Also, machines only go in 5 lb increments and looking at getting some wrist/ankle weights.

APFT Test results from 29 Apr 2010

PU - 74 reps
SU - 61 reps
Run - 17:44

Body Fat measurements

Neck - 18.5 in
Waist - 39.75 in
Body fat - 21%

Exercise Max Start 15 sec reps goal

Chest press----205-------70-------20-------59-------80
Leg press-------300-----100-------10-------50-------40
Lat pull down--160-------55-------13-------57-------52
Ham Curl--------195------65-------11-------44--------44
Bicep Curl-------90--------30-------18-------47--------73
Knee Extend---205-------70-------15------58--------60
Row--------------175------70-------12-------40--------48
Heel Raise------35--------35-------25-------87-------100

With heel raises I was holding the bar while doing the exercise. Just as note was winded after the circuit was completed, but felt good. Only have little bit of tightness inside elbows. All in all enjoyed the circuit and looking forward to tomorrow's two circuits.

Will keep you updated with weekly results.

CBHRigger

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-19-2010, 11:41
Ok Blitzzz, here are my numbers. I was using cable type machines at the local gym. Noticed some of the machines could not keep up with repitions as others have stated. Also, machines only go in 5 lb increments and looking at getting some wrist/ankle weights.

APFT Test results from 29 Apr 2010

PU - 74 reps
SU - 61 reps
Run - 17:44

Body Fat measurements

Neck - 18.5 in
Waist - 39.75 in
Body fat - 21%

Exercise Max Start 15 sec reps goal

Chest press----205-------70-------20-------59-------80 Good start
Leg press-------300-----100-------10-------50-------40 May want to redo here. already exceded Goal reps.
Lat pull down--160-------55-------13-------57-------52 Same here
Ham Curl--------195------65-------11-------44--------44 Here too
Bicep Curl-------90--------30-------18-------47--------73 Good star
Knee Extend---205-------70-------15------58--------60 probably machine limited
Row--------------175------70-------12-------40--------48 Good start
Heel Raise------35--------35-------25-------87-------100 Good start

With heel raises I was holding the bar while doing the exercise. Just as note was winded after the circuit was completed, but felt good. Only have little bit of tightness inside elbows. All in all enjoyed the circuit and looking forward to tomorrow's two circuits.

Will keep you updated with weekly results.

CBHRigger
Notes in red with my comments.

forward
05-19-2010, 14:16
Exercise WT RD1 RD2 RD3 Goal WT Change
IP 142.5 80 90 83 92 14%
HS 245 90 94 93 96 20%
LP 175 58 61 57 64 15%
CR 165 120 127 122 128 18%
SR 95 77 81 79 88 12%
SH 100 131 139 137 144 11%

Started to fall short of limiting range at 20% on first day of weight changes. Today's numbers, 3rd day at these weights. I added the percentage change to show how much I increased by from my former weight.

V/r,

Forward

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-19-2010, 15:04
Just thought some would like to know we just went International.

I received request for Blitz system by two fellows of the British Royal Marines.

See how it goes, I've ask them to post here also.

Question to "forward" is the %s you gave , what your last bump was?

forward
05-19-2010, 15:18
Question to "forward" is the %s you gave , what your last bump was?

Sir,

Correct, weight reflected this week in WT column is the % I added to move the weight up from last week (after hitting goal reps in all 3 rounds) and still be within 10-12 reps of max.

v/r,

Forward

olhamada
05-21-2010, 15:36
Doctor,

Could you provide some tangible numbers on the improvements you witnessed while on the Blitz? Max lifts, VO2 Max, etc.?

As for the program making physiologic sense, is it safe to attempt multiple overspeed eccentrics in a compound movement like the squat, as would have to be done to execute 80 in a minute, especially under load?

Furthermore, at loads light enough to sustain for the required reps at the required velocity, can strength actually be improved in a non-Novice athlete, or even a Novice athlete beyond the very first stages of adaptation?

Finally, what type of athlete would you recommend the program for? What level of training adaptation, what types of goals, etc.?

Sean,

I'm sorry for my delayed response. I didn't want to ignore your question. I've just been snowed under and have just now come up for air.

So your questions - In terms of my own personal improvements - I did not complete the program for two reasons. First, it is almost impossible to do this program correctly without a buddy and given my schedule, I have trouble working out at the same time and at the same place from day to day. So I did not have a consistent workout partner and was usually working out on my own. Secondly, I've been locked into a year long membership at D1 ($150/month) which utilizes NFL-level trainers and coaches and had trouble not taking full advantage of my membership there whenever possible.

Re question 2 - Yes, it is safe given the loads the Blitzzz uses. I would not try it with 50% or heavier loads. In my opinion, the primary limiting factors with the recommended loads and intensity are joint health, lactate thresholds, and equipment limitations. As long as the muscle is being worked in its normal range of motion, with a light load, even at that speed of movement, the muscles and tendons are not maximally loaded or stressed. Maximally fatigued - yes. Maximally stressed and endangered - no.

Third question - Of course, you won't see the same strength gains as you would in a program designed primarily for strength gains such as one with high load and low(er) reps. But, remember strength is not the main goal here. Endurance, flexibility, proprioception, injury prevention, rehabilitation are. Strength is secondary. That said, you can make very good strength gains here as well by recruitment of secondary and tertiary muscle fibers that ordinarily would not be utilized in a pure strength program, by swelling (edema) of primary fibers, and by increased vascular flow and neural growth in all fibers.

Fourth question - any athlete in need of balanced improvements in speed, flexibility, proprioception, endurance, and strength. Of course, not every program works for everyone. And you may at times want to focus on one area over the general improvement overall (i.e. - pure strength, explosiveness, flexibility, definition, etc....) and thus utilize a different program for a while.

Now these are my opinions, and Dave may or may not agree with me. :-) So Dave, if you have another perspective, please comment.

Irishsquid
05-24-2010, 02:36
I've started the Blitz several times in the past, and never done it properly AND stuck with it for more than a couple weeks. Even at that, I've seen a jump in endurance, and some growth in strength.

This time, I've done it properly, and just finished my third week. I've increased my weight by 20% since starting, on all exercises except overhead press. I'm still unable to hit goal reps for even one circuit on overhead press at 1/3 of 1rm. On all other exercises, my reps dropped by around 20 reps per minute when I increased the weight, but are quickly creeping back up.

My question: should I lower the weight on overhead press? Seems my lack of progress on that lift might mean I'm using too much weight.

Also, I've gotten one friend of mine, as of monday, to start Blitzing with me, and another may start soon.

One more question, if you don't mind: I'm Blitzing Mon-Wed-Fri, pure cardio Tue and Thurs. Will it be counterproductive in any way if I start "maxing out," on saturdays, just to keep track of my strength gains?

Razor
05-24-2010, 10:31
One more question, if you don't mind: I'm Blitzing Mon-Wed-Fri, pure cardio Tue and Thurs. Will it be counterproductive in any way if I start "maxing out," on saturdays, just to keep track of my strength gains?

Progression
Regularity
Overload
Variety
RECOVERY
Balance
Specificity

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-24-2010, 11:55
I've started the Blitz several times in the past, and never done it properly AND stuck with it for more than a couple weeks. Even at that, I've seen a jump in endurance, and some growth in strength.

This time, I've done it properly, and just finished my third week. I've increased my weight by 20% since starting, on all exercises except overhead press. I'm still unable to hit goal reps for even one circuit on overhead press at 1/3 of 1rm. On all other exercises, my reps dropped by around 20 reps per minute when I increased the weight, but are quickly creeping back up.

My question: should I lower the weight on overhead press? Seems my lack of progress on that lift might mean I'm using too much weight.

Also, I've gotten one friend of mine, as of monday, to start Blitzing with me, and another may start soon.

Answer to the Overhead press question: If you are sure of your One RM then I'd suggest dropping about 5% of your start weight. Out of curiosity, what was your first 15 sec count with that weight. if it is 10 or less then weight is too high if it's over twenty, then you should be able to hit goal reps. But dropping weight will increase rep speed and you can catch up from there. Another option is to do only one circuit of the OPs until you get within 75% of goal reps and then do two circuits until same results.

Actually when Blitzing, "pure cardio" days are totally unnecessary. Blitzing is a cardio workout that will be all you need.. and doing those days may be affecting your Blitz speeds as you're not getting enough recovery time. I recommend dropping the cardio for a few weeks and see the differences.

A periodic Max weight check shouldn't necessarily be needed until the end. You can always multiply you new weight By 3 and get a good idea of what your actual new 1 RM is.

Sounds like your doing Good. Don't over do it.
Maxing out is definitely detrimental to your Blitz progress.

DAVE

Irishsquid
05-25-2010, 00:52
First 15 seconds was 15 reps, putting goal reps at 60. I have been unable to hit 50 reps...just running out of gas too quickly. Today, I dropped the weight a very little bit, and got up to 57 reps...probably by the end of the week, I'll be ready to move up. Everything else is progressing nicely. I'll likely be increasing the weight again for crunches, shrugs, and leg curls by the end of the week. Not quite yet for leg extensions, but soon, I think.

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-04-2010, 23:26
Sean,

I'm sorry for my delayed response. I didn't want to ignore your question. I've just been snowed under and have just now come up for air.

So your questions - In terms of my own personal improvements - I did not complete the program for two reasons. First, it is almost impossible to do this program correctly without a buddy and given my schedule, I have trouble working out at the same time and at the same place from day to day. So I did not have a consistent workout partner and was usually working out on my own. Secondly, I've been locked into a year long membership at D1 ($150/month) which utilizes NFL-level trainers and coaches and had trouble not taking full advantage of my membership there whenever possible.

Re question 2 - Yes, it is safe given the loads the Blitzzz uses. I would not try it with 50% or heavier loads. In my opinion, the primary limiting factors with the recommended loads and intensity are joint health, lactate thresholds, and equipment limitations. As long as the muscle is being worked in its normal range of motion, with a light load, even at that speed of movement, the muscles and tendons are not maximally loaded or stressed. Maximally fatigued - yes. Maximally stressed and endangered - no.

Third question - Of course, you won't see the same strength gains as you would in a program designed primarily for strength gains such as one with high load and low(er) reps. But, remember strength is not the main goal here. Endurance, flexibility, proprioception, injury prevention, rehabilitation are. Strength is secondary. That said, you can make very good strength gains here as well by recruitment of secondary and tertiary muscle fibers that ordinarily would not be utilized in a pure strength program, by swelling (edema) of primary fibers, and by increased vascular flow and neural growth in all fibers.

Fourth question - any athlete in need of balanced improvements in speed, flexibility, proprioception, endurance, and strength. Of course, not every program works for everyone. And you may at times want to focus on one area over the general improvement overall (i.e. - pure strength, explosiveness, flexibility, definition, etc....) and thus utilize a different program for a while.

Now these are my opinions, and Dave may or may not agree with me. :-) So Dave, if you have another perspective, please comment.
Good words all. You've tasted it and felt it, and have a good feel for it.. You didn't get to receive the strength gains yet. I can't concede those to any other system either. They can't exercise the 3rds and can never develop that potential.

Thanks for my back.

Irishsquid
06-05-2010, 06:52
I'm going to try switching over to a upper body day/lower body day workout...I have a bowflex at home...missing a few attachments, but everything I need for my upper body days...then I'll just head to the gym on my lower body days. That said...if I'm supposed to get 6-8 exercises in, I don't know how I can come up with 6 upper and 6 lower body exercises without overtraining some body part.

Doing it all on the same day, I was doing the following exercises

Lat Pull
Overhead Press
Cable Flies
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Shrugs
Crunches (on lat pull machine)

Any suggestions for breaking this up into a 2-day routine? As an aside, I'm probably going to be taking a few weeks to work on technique in my primary lifts (squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, press) then start a "new," cycle of Blitz, using the 2 day workout routine.

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-05-2010, 13:30
I'm going to try switching over to a upper body day/lower body day workout...I have a bowflex at home...missing a few attachments, but everything I need for my upper body days...then I'll just head to the gym on my lower body days. That said...if I'm supposed to get 6-8 exercises in, I don't know how I can come up with 6 upper and 6 lower body exercises without overtraining some body part.

Doing it all on the same day, I was doing the following exercises

Lat Pull
Overhead Press
Cable Flies
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Shrugs
Crunches (on lat pull machine)

Any suggestions for breaking this up into a 2-day routine? As an aside, I'm probably going to be taking a few weeks to work on technique in my primary lifts (squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, press) then start a "new," cycle of Blitz, using the 2 day workout routine.
Upper body:
Lat Pulls, (Lats)
reverse flys, Posterior Deltiod and rhomboids
flys, (Pecs and Anterior Deltiod)
Seated rows upper rhomboids biceps
Shrugs Traps
Wrist curls full range.Fore arms
CrunchesABs
Lower:
Heel raises Calves
Leg extensions Thighs
Standing Kick backs (single leg)Gluts
Hamstring curls HAMS
Toe raisesAnterior Tibs
Seated internal and external hip rotationsHip rotators
( this one is done seated by pulling your foot inward and out ward.)

Hope this helps...Dave

Irishsquid
06-06-2010, 02:45
Seated internal and external hip rotationsHip rotators
(this one is done seated by pulling your foot inward and out ward.)

I'll have to find a good way to do that one with a cable machine. Either that, or I have to talk the wife into letting me buy resistance bands...

EasyIan
06-08-2010, 15:12
Yesterday I began my first Blitz program and was quite impressed. As of late I have been "Testing the waters" of many different endurance programs and for once I feel like I might have found one suitable for me. What I enjoyed most about the program is that the workouts are short and simple, however they do not compromise intensity.

I have decided to do a split routine with three areas of concentration; Core, upper body, and legs. I plan on doing each superset twice a week with Sundays off for total recoup. Yesterday was an upper body day. I did lat pull downs, benchpress, military press, shrugs, preacher curls, forearm curls and tricep pull downs. For the most part my maximum lift divided by 3 was tough, however I did have to add weight to the bench and tricep pull downs. Since I generally bench for repetition and not so much weight I kind of expected this. Regardless the weight had to be increased for me to be smoked towards the end of the exercises.

Moving along. Today will be a leg day. I have not yet decided on the exercises but it will not be intensive as my core and U.B. workouts because I will have to continue running on a regular basis for training purposes. I understand that it is not recommended so I plan on keeping them as short as possible and will schedule around my leg blitz. Since I ruck and run quite a bit I'm hoping no problems will arise. Next post will be one week from today I look forward to it.

Intensity builds immensity,
Ian

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-14-2010, 18:30
EasyIan, This is a good post but I have some suggestions.
Blitzing should not be confused with "super sets", and any weight you determined should not be modified for "fatigue". Enhancing weights to achieve fatigue will probably create some DOMS and slower reps than determined by your first 15 sec count.

Yesterday I began my first Blitz program and was quite impressed. As of late I have been "Testing the waters" of many different endurance programs and for once I feel like I might have found one suitable for me. What I enjoyed most about the program is that the workouts are short and simple, however they do not compromise intensity.

I have decided to do a split routine with three areas of concentration; Core, upper body, and legs. I plan on doing each superset twice a week with Sundays off for total recoup. Yesterday was an upper body day. I did lat pull downs, benchpress, military press, shrugs, preacher curls, forearm curls and tricep pull downs. For the most part my maximum lift divided by 3 was tough, however I did have to add weight to the bench and tricep pull downs. Since I generally bench for repetition and not so much weight I kind of expected this. Regardless the weight had to be increased for me to be smoked towards the end of the exercises.
Splitting work outs is a good management tool for more frequent workouts, but do not exercise the same muscle group twice in one circuit. i.e..benches and triceps curls are the same on triceps as is military press. I suggest picking one and add some other upper exercises, like flies or rows.

Moving along. Today will be a leg day. I have not yet decided on the exercises but it will not be intensive as my core and U.B. workouts because I will have to continue running on a regular basis for training purposes. I understand that it is not recommended so I plan on keeping them as short as possible and will schedule around my leg blitz. Since I ruck and run quite a bit I'm hoping no problems will arise. Next post will be one week from today I look forward to it.
SUGGESTED Legs:
Squats
Ham curls,
Heel raises,
Internal hip rotation,
external hip rotations,
Kick backs.

Intensity builds immensity,
Ian

forward
06-14-2010, 19:13
For the benefit of others contemplating this program, I post the following for your consideration.

My initial weights, my final weight and goal repetitions:
Incline Bench: 75/155/92
Half Squat: 100/285/96
Lat Pull: 90/202.5/64
Calf Raises: 105/200/128
Seated Row: 50/107.5/88
Shrugs: 60/110/144

Personal experience and overview:

The mental pain this program brought to the table is horrid in the best of ways. It was like running head on into a wall of fatigue then watching your body go into shock- yet you keep going. It is an experience that makes me shutter and smile like a sadist at the same time.

In the eleven weeks it took me to max out the Blitz Program I did not suffered any injury or strain any muscles, joints or ligaments that took me out for an extended period of recovery. I did however have intense fatigue during the workouts. I do not even remotely feel fatigued now doing “other PT regiments” as required by my command. The muscle endurance and active recovery rate I have developed are the best benefits in my opinion of this program. Strength-a given. Power- a definite plus. Endurance and the ability to get right back up and knock out another 100 body squats after a 10 second break-incredible.

I followed Dave’s program and sought guidance when I wasn’t clear on an area. What did I have to lose? In the end, I was still lifting, still moving weight, so why not try his method? In the words of Hunter S. Thompson, “buy the ticket, take the ride.” It is worth the cost for the benefit received, IMHO.

However, YMMV.

Very Respectfully,

Forward

"I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference."

Stingray
06-15-2010, 03:39
Hello Blitz,

I did the first week and I have come up with some problems. Here are the 8 exercises I was using.

Lat Pull downs
V-ups in machine
Leg Extensions
Chest Press
Leg Press
Military Press
Hamstring Curls
Bicep Curls

My problem is the machines I have access to are cables. The leg extensions and leg curls jump off my leg at the speed I move the weight at. I am forced to slow down to control the weight or wait on it to come back down to my leg. Are there some alternatives with free weights?
I only have three days to Blitz. I would like to hit my traps also. Do you have any suggestions on my exercise choices?

I will post my beginning data once I get the list done and start rocking.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-15-2010, 05:28
Hello Blitz,

I did the first week and I have come up with some problems. Here are the 8 exercises I was using.

Lat Pull downs
V-ups in machine
Leg Extensions
Chest Press
Leg Press
Military Press
Hamstring Curls
Bicep Curls

My problem is the machines I have access to are cables. The leg extensions and leg curls jump off my leg at the speed I move the weight at. I am forced to slow down to control the weight or wait on it to come back down to my leg. Are there some alternatives with free weights?
I only have three days to Blitz. I would like to hit my traps also. Do you have any suggestions on my exercise choices?
OK, Three times a week is more than fine. Cable machines are always a problem with rep speeds. Switch to bands if you can or look for a leverage machine. You have eight exercises and that is usually enough, so you may try to change one of the leg exercises to shrugs for traps. Two leg exercises is too much for the thighs. Of the two I'd keep the leg press and switch the leg extensions to shrugs. Blitz

I will post my beginning data once I get the list done and start rocking.

Sincerely,

Keep good records and good luck.

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-15-2010, 14:48
Just those using free weights with the Blitz.
I have seen reference by some about "pain" when using free weights. I went back over the stats and have a recommendation for those using free weights. My suggestion at present without doing the physics, But if using free weights divide the 1RM by 4 as opposed to 3.
So...if using free weights use 1/4th 1RM as your start weight.

Reason: Due to the velocity of the reps the weight increases resistance at the bottom of the movement. The increased resistance is due to inertia of the weight moving downward and the increased effort to reverse the movement of the weight.

Dave

forward
06-15-2010, 18:17
Below is the comparison from my initial one repetition maxs and current one rep maxs.

Several weights have reps next to them. I maxed out the weight stack so I did as many reps to failure to assist in gauging.

I am 76", 230 lbs to give context to weight moved.

Event: Initial Max-Current Max
Incline Press: 225-365
Half Squat (to 90 deg): 300-705
Lat Pull: 270-310 (X16 reps)
Seated Row: 150-310 (X4 reps)
Calf Raises: 300-400 (x18 reps)
Shrugs: 180-300 (150lb each hand X12 reps lost my grip and not using wrist grips)

V/r,

Forward

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-15-2010, 18:23
LOL, I wonder what these numbers mean in "real" weight.
Actually looks really good. Good Job, and Thanks, Dave

GratefulCitizen
06-15-2010, 19:14
Took a closer look at your Blitz program.
It resembles, in some respects, the "Power Factor" training (using partial reps) which was around in the late '90s.

Did a variation of the power factor training.
Worked quite well.

Best part was getting to the point where workouts were only 40 minutes once every 6-7 days.
Down side was running out of big enough equipment, and tearing callouses off of the hands. (Bought hooks in case such a thing is tried again...)
Got boring after awhile, too.

Blitz program seems to be better all-around, and safer.

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-15-2010, 19:54
Took a closer look at your Blitz program.
It resembles, in some respects, the "Power Factor" training (using partial reps) which was around in the late '90s.

Did a variation of the power factor training.
Worked quite well.

Best part was getting to the point where workouts were only 40 minutes once every 6-7 days.
Down side was running out of big enough equipment, and tearing callouses off of the hands. (Bought hooks in case such a thing is tried again...)
Got boring after awhile, too.

Blitz program seems to be better all-around, and safer.
Interesting system, and at first glance does resemble Blitzing. Doesn't address tertiary system or endurance. I couldn't find any results similar to Blitzing.

Looks like they were on the right track just didn't develop it enough to achieve full potential. They varied rep speeds for different affects, although they looked at cumulative weight loads. Looks pretty good.

Stingray
06-15-2010, 23:25
Hello Blitz,

I do have access to bands for hamstrings, but it is only one level of resistence. So I stayed on the cables unless you have a recommendation with regards to switching to some other hamstring exercise (stiff leg deadlift, etc).

Exercise Max Rep wt. Goal Reps Reps
Lat Pull downs 210 70 64 54
V-ups 100 30 60 57
Leg Press 480 180 68 64
Chest Press 200 80 80 58
Hamstring Curls 150 50 44 37
Shrugs 120 40 96 92
Military Press 120 40 96 52
Bicep Curls 80 20 96 58

Bicep curls, I used free weights therefore dropped to 20% instead of 33%.
Ham Curls I had to slow down to control the weight, but by the the end of the minute I was still pretty smoked even at 37 reps.

Overall, during the workout I didn't feel overly fatigued. But at the end of the set I felt similar to running intervals. Both my heart rate was up high and my breath was short. I certainly felt like I worked out hard.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-16-2010, 06:09
Couple of notes:
You "may" feel some soreness with the Hams as you rep speed was below 40.
Second, as you are working the triceps twice in one circuit you will see lower reps in the second one of the circuit.(Military press)
Drop it if the reps don't look right.

Dave

Stingray
06-16-2010, 06:11
Couple of notes:
You "may" feel some soreness with the Hams as you rep speed was below 40.
Second, as you are working the triceps twice in one circuit you will see lower reps in the second one of the circuit.(Military press)
Drop it if the reps don't look right.

Dave

Roger that.

EasyIan
06-16-2010, 10:53
and any weight you determined should not be modified for "fatigue". Enhancing weights to achieve fatigue will probably create some DOMS and slower reps than determined by your first 15 sec count.

Good Afternoon Blitz,

I feel I was a little misleading when I said "smoked", and that it would have been more accurate to say I was completing the goal reps for the three minutes. At this point I was physically able to do more repetitions but the floating lag produced by the pulley system was actually preventing me from increasing the repetitions per minute. Thinking I could effectively combat this I added weight, which to my dismay produced a more weight lifter like scenario. So to cut my long story short I ended up getting my hands on a Bowflex, dropped the weight back down, and have had better results since.

BOWFLEX + BLITZ = GOOD
PULLEYS + BLITZ = NOT AS GOOD

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-16-2010, 14:57
Remember the Bow flex has 5# increments and to get more precise you should purchase wrist weights that allow 1 lb incremental increments.

And a note to Forward: I checked your posted weights and reps with "National Strength and Conditioning Association's RM calculator and these are your 1RMs for the exercises you did with multiple reps:
Lat Pulls 310 x 16 reps = 1RM of 458 lbs.
Seated Row 310 x 4 reps =347.2 lb 1RM.
Calf raises 400 x 18 reps = 616lbs 1RM.
Shrugs 300 x 12 reps = 430 lbs 1RM.
How do like those numbers? Dave

EasyIan
06-16-2010, 23:16
Remember the Bow flex has 5# increments and to get more precise you should purchase wrist weights that allow 1 lb incremental increments.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

Ian

Irishsquid
06-23-2010, 13:19
Blitz,
I'm currently studying for a MAJOR IT exam, which my job depends on. As such, I haven't exactly been Blitzing properly for the last few weeks. That said, when I do have time, I'm doing the upper body days on my bowflex at home...and it's great...alleviates all the problems I was having with the cable machines. Only problem I have is that I have to estimate what my 1rm would be for some exercises (lat pull, etc)

I'm planning to order a 200# weight upgrade, so should be good there. I take the aforementioned test tomorrow morning, so I'll be starting back on the Blitz first thing monday...I'm just going to start over clean with the exercises you suggested. I'll post starting numbers for upper- and lower-body days as soon as I have 'em.

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-23-2010, 17:24
Irishsquid, Go to "Critical Bench.com" and look up their "weight training chart" and they have a 1RM calculator that will project your 1 RM from what eve reps you are doing at a lower weight.

example: 165# done at 9 reps give you a 1 RM of 215#.
It's a nice chart for this.
Dave

GratefulCitizen
06-23-2010, 17:40
Irishsquid, Go to "Critical Bench.com" and look up their "weight training chart" and they have a 1RM calculator that will project your 1 RM from what eve reps you are doing at a lower weight.

example: 165# done at 9 reps give you a 1 RM of 215#.
It's a nice chart for this.
Dave

Found that the chart projected a quite a bit on the high side for anything over 10 reps.
(Progressively worse as reps increased.)

Projected a bit on the low side 4-6 reps, but pretty close.

MILON
06-23-2010, 19:31
There is a good article here for estimating your 1RM. Its never a truly exact science, even if you are doing a true 1RM, which isn't a very safe way of doing it anyway. Another tool for readers......

http://www.xlathlete.com/xl/export/drill_sheet_Maxing%20Out%20Without%20Burning%20Out _1277343048009.pdf

Milon

forward
06-23-2010, 19:35
And a note to Forward: I checked your posted weights and reps with "National Strength and Conditioning Association's RM calculator and these are your 1RMs for the exercises you did with multiple reps:
Lat Pulls 310 x 16 reps = 1RM of 458 lbs.
Seated Row 310 x 4 reps =347.2 lb 1RM.
Calf raises 400 x 18 reps = 616lbs 1RM.
Shrugs 300 x 12 reps = 430 lbs 1RM.
How do like those numbers? Dave

Sir,

I like it! Back to PT.

V/r,

Forward

GratefulCitizen
06-23-2010, 20:39
There is a good article here for estimating your 1RM. Its never a truly exact science, even if you are doing a true 1RM, which isn't a very safe way of doing it anyway. Another tool for readers......

http://www.xlathlete.com/xl/export/drill_sheet_Maxing%20Out%20Without%20Burning%20Out _1277343048009.pdf

Milon

Just posted an assessment based on my own history.
Blitz's example @ 9 reps seemed to be near the best range for that particular calculator.
Results vary significantly among individuals, but a some general bias can be found in most of these calculators.

The xl athlete seems to overestimate from low reps and high reps.
Found the greatest accuracy around 5 reps.

There is also the issue of the difference between "perfomance" max and "training" max.

Can't remember the name of the guy, but he used to be the head of sports medicine for the former Soviet Union.
Wrote an excellent book; can't remember the his name or the book's name.:(

He distinguished between training and performance maximums.
The training max, whether done directly or indirectly, was only valid if the athlete was able to do it while keeping his heart rate below a certain level prior to attempting the lift.

The theory was that "psyching" for the lift (cranking up your sympathetic nervous system) was something which you should only do at performance time.
Results were better when training was designed with this in mind.

He believed that constantly cranking up your SNS led to poor recovery, injuries, overtraining, and underperformance at competition time.

Fortunately, Blitz's system naturally herds you into the appropriate excercise levels.

MILON
06-23-2010, 22:38
Gratefulcitizen,

The xlathlete method of 1RM testing is definitely more accurate if the weight is closer to the athletes 3-5 RM. I prefer it because it's safer than testing at a true (training) 1RM load and more accurate than testing at higher reps. The downfall of testing this way is how subjective it is. Its up to how you feel or how your coach/tester interprets your bar speed.

I believe the book and author(s) you are talking about is Supertraining by Yuri Verkhoshansky and Mel Siff. The author discusses training maxima vs competitive maxima on page 2 of this book if anyone out there has it. He also cites Zitorsky repetitively throughout this section, referring to his book Science and Practice of Strength Training. Both excellent training resources

It states in the book that training maxima is always less than your competitive maxima because optimal motivation only occurs under competitive conditions. Zitorsky defines a training max as the heaviest load which one can lift without substantial emotional excitement, as indicated by a very significant rise in heart rate before the lift. Its also important to consider that a training max can vary from day to day whereas a competitive max is more stable given the environment and level of excitation needed.

Another interesting point made in his book is the difference between the "less qualified athlete" and the "elite athlete". Verkhoshansky goes on to state that competitive maxima is the most effective way to determine training intensity, however this is only needed for elite level athletes. The majority of the population can use their training maxima as effective tool for determining training loads.

Verkhoshansky also has a website.
http://www.verkhoshansky.com/Home/tabid/83/Default.aspx

Milon

GratefulCitizen
06-23-2010, 22:59
He also cites Zitorsky repetitively throughout this section, referring to his book Science and Practice of Strength Training. Both excellent training resources

Believe that's the one.
Thanks for the links.

Stingray
06-28-2010, 01:28
Hello Blitz,

As per your advice I dumped the military press. My mp reps were not going any where and my chest press actually went down. Only by a couple reps, but down. Since, my chest press reps have improved a lot. Great tip.

Two questions.
1. What do I do if my machine weight increments exceed the % increases used in the system?

2. This has happened a couple of times. Going through the sequence, and someone jumps on the machine before I get there. How long is too long to wait and move on to the next excersice and come back? I have hesitated doing this since I haven't waited longer than 45 seconds or so. But thought I would check.

Thanks Blitz.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP)
06-28-2010, 10:11
Hello Blitz,

As per your advice I dumped the military press. My mp reps were not going any where and my chest press actually went down. Only by a couple reps, but down. Since, my chest press reps have improved a lot. Great tip.

Two questions.
1. What do I do if my machine weight increments exceed the % increases used in the system?
First, Never round up. Secondly I use wrist/ankle weights that have 1 lb pockets and add or subtract as needed.

2. This has happened a couple of times. Going through the sequence, and someone jumps on the machine before I get there. How long is too long to wait and move on to the next excersice and come back? I have hesitated doing this since I haven't waited longer than 45 seconds or so. But thought I would check.
On this one its best to be with in 4 minutes but you could go out to 10.
Thanks Blitz.

Sincerely,Hope this helps. Blitzzz

Stingray
06-28-2010, 23:32
Hope this helps. Blitzzz

Yes sir it does. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-08-2010, 00:27
Hey guys, there are about 250 of you out there who have copies of the Blitz. It would be nice to see some post with success or failures and any related problem. Your comments may help others who share similar issues or successes. Blitzzz

Irishsquid
08-08-2010, 03:36
Blitzzz,

Here's my results (don't have the exact numbers, so it will be qualitative, not quantitative.)

First 2 weeks, massive increase in endurance on all exercises.

Next 3 weeks, rapid increase in strength.

Lat pull, added more than 80 lbs to the max...increases in other areas were not as dramatic, but were still impressive.

5 weeks is the longest I have been able, thus far, to maintain the blitz protocol. Life got in the way...or rather, I allowed other things to take precedence over my workout.

Edit: while I did see an impressive increase in strength and endurance, I saw no noticeable improvement in my runs, either in time or distance.

dmgedgoods
08-08-2010, 09:48
While I was in the rear, it took about 3 weeks before I saw substantial increase in endurance. Strength followed that curve as well. Another week or so after that, strength was greatly improved. Since I have deployed, I have been limited on what I can do Blitz-wise. As soon as I redeploy, I plan on getting back on track. Equipment was a consistent issue. Free weights helped with this, but I still feel that there was no way for me to maximize the impact of the program. With free weights, form is of utmost importance, so there was some time lost to making sure form was always correct.

It might be important to note that I have used the program to supplement other workouts I was doing at the time. This included lots of medicine ball work, and lots of equipment-free body weight work. If I can focus on just the Blitz once again when I redeploy, I feel I can be back on my game. I was able to keep a good running and rucking program on line while doing the Blitz. This is a program that is easy to mingle with the SF Prep program and even the get Selected workout program.

Another thing...It's hard to get people to follow a new workout scheme. I have found myself running solo on many Blitz days. Maybe it's a comfort issue for some? New ideas scare people sometimes, and maybe that's why it's hard to get a good group participation.

Mack

forward
08-08-2010, 12:01
Another thing...It's hard to get people to follow a new workout scheme. I have found myself running solo on many Blitz days. Maybe it's a comfort issue for some? New ideas scare people sometimes, and maybe that's why it's hard to get a good group participation.

Run it solo! People will see the results you are getting then start pinging you on what you are doing. Maybe it is a comfort thing, because lets be honest, Blitzing is a tough mental exercise as well as physical.

Blitzzz,

Been holding down sustainment workouts once or twice a week. Just keeping the weights at the max previously established. Sometimes my numbers will fluctuate below my goal reps on a set but not more than 5 below. I think it is just externals such as lack of sleep, time of day, other workouts, etc.

Still hurts like a hot iron though! Mentally, not in my joints or muscles. It has incorporated well into running and rucking and cross training cardio. Though I noticed a need to be selective about scheduling. Rucking 12+ following a Blitz day is tough.

I am debating once my work load lightens up to try and shift back to 3 times a week and see if I can squeeze another couple pounds out of some of the exercises.

Thanks again Sir.

v/r,

Forward

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-29-2010, 08:02
I'd be curious to find out if there any folks out there that prepared for SFAS by Blitzing. How do you feel the increased endurance helped with the mental drains.
Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-04-2010, 18:21
It was presented to students at TSU for a test run prior to the scheduled study.
These students will be acting as "trainers for the students in the study.
I'm happier now that the ball is rolling.

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-19-2010, 09:12
"Blitzing" and "The Sixties" is Published in the Army's "Building The Soldier Athlete".

MILON
10-19-2010, 17:15
Awesome blitz! Glad to hear the program continues to be promoted!

ksboi
10-25-2010, 00:29
I took a few days off from my workout and I am starting the blitzz workout today. It should be to try something new. Will post comments in a month or so.

Green Light
10-25-2010, 14:25
I'd be curious to find out if there any folks out there that prepared for SFAS by Blitzing. How do you feel the increased endurance helped with the mental drains.
Blitzzz

I'm not willing to go through selection phase again to test it out, but I have been using it since you sent me the program in May.

For those who don't know where I was, I had 3 cervical vertibrae fused three years ago (from an old jump injury) and was having chronic back pain in the lower lumbar spine. I also had chronic hip pain from spinal stenosis and a bulging disc. I couldn't walk around the block without being out of commission for hours. Needless to say, my fitness level was at an all-time low.

I was interested in tracking my fitness progress so I kept workout results so I could have some sort of comparison. I kept track of work by exercise using a basic weight x repetitions formula (I've converted everything to foot pounds lately so later I can keep track of total work).

Here's the exercises and improvements:

Heel Raises 113.21%
Chest Press 234.29%
Fly 1408.24%
Leg Raises 537.50%
Bicep Curl 427.98%
Lat Pulls 523.94%
Crunches 383.40%

The weights that I'm using still aren't earth shattering and where I started was pretty low, but this has helped my health more than anything I've used in years.

I was originally doing leg curls but the pain became pretty bad and constant from the spinal problem and I dropped it. I've added aerobic stuff on alternate days (with sundays off).

I've taken off 34 pounds and put on a great deal of muscle mass. This is the best workout plan I've ever seen. I haven't had any joint problems and the gains have come almost weekly, sometimes daily. I'm impressed that it takes a bit more than an hour for a good workout. (I do mine at the gym from 0230 to 0330; there's only one other guy there and I can move quickly from machine to machine).

Here's the big payoff: my pain has almost vanished. I still have a "stitch" or two in the neck and shoulders and my right leg hasn't felt this good in years. I know that the spinal problem will need attention eventually, but this is buying me some good time before going back under the knife.

Now the downside: none of my clothes fit anymore. :D

Great program, Dave! I'm hooked on it.

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-27-2010, 12:23
Originally Posted by Blitzzz
I am very appreciative of your post, Thank you.
I am very glad for your health improvements and will assist you in any thing that may help further. I have never doubted the Blitz for all of it's benefits to a patron of it's use.
Results have always amazed me in their consistency.
Again, thank you. Someday I'd like to get it into the groups as a primary Fitness system.
Dave Boltz
Honestly Dave, If we would have had this back in the day, there would have been a lot better fitness and IMO fewer injuries. There were all sorts of theories on what we needed to do to maximize fitness and no one really had a good one. The daily dozen and scuba Pt were the only two I knew and both had major limitations.

I'm really impressed with it. When I read the science behind it, it made sense. I went ahead and went for it. I'm healthier now than I was when I retired.

Keep us posted. I think this is a real breakthrough in the field. Thanks for sending it to me. Now my wife is working out three times a week, too.

pplstrigger
10-28-2010, 19:42
Alcon - This is a copy of a PM i sent to Blitz. Per his request I am posting it as it was sent to him. For what its worth, in my opinion, the Blitz program works.

"Dave- Just wanted to take a moment to let you know that I graduated the Q on 01OCT. Thank you for the advice you gave me a few years ago when I requested a copy of your Blitz program. Your words did not fall on deaf ears. I am back Blitzing while also continuing to pursue my love of mountain bike racing and triathlon."

:lifter

bk4242
11-01-2010, 14:21
Early this morning I began my first real day of the blitz workout. As a former collegiate athlete I have been through a myriad of physically demanding workouts so I thought this would quietly join the list. But I soon found out through lactic acid build up that this challenged me both physically and mentally (looking at the stop watch and realizing that i still had 30 more seconds of the exercise). Although it may be premature since it is only day one, I am excited to see the results in the months ahead before I ship to basic.

Bk

Quixote
11-16-2010, 18:59
First day of blitz, some success and some failure.

Exercise - Weight - Goal Reps - Reps

Barbell Bench Press - 65lb - 64 - 50
Squats - Bodyweight - 60 - 48
Dumbbell weighted crunches - 30lb - 68 - 50
Barbell Preacher Curls - 20lb - 60 - 51
Upright cable rows - 70lb - 72 - 40

I was going to do Lat Pulldowns and Hamstring curls, but on the Lat machine there was way too much weight bounce for the speed I was trying to move it, and the Hamstring curl machine was broken.

Some thoughts - The barbell preacher curls burned. Maybe because I've never done bicep specific work before. The upright cable rows were absolute murder though. I did them after the preacher curls and my biceps just couldn't take it. I had to stop for a second or two to keep going and I still barely got above 40 reps. Either I need to find a new trap/shoulder workout that doesn't use biceps or drop the preacher curls. The problem is even if I do get the speed up, the pulley system is the same as the Lat bar, which was giving me all kinds of problems.

So I need to redesign the circuit some. I think the bench presses, squats, and curls are fine.

Anyone have any recommendations for some hamstring, shoulder, and back work? Machines don't really seem to be an option at the gym I'm near due to weight bounce, so I'm stuck with barbells and dumbbells.

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-16-2010, 21:04
You can see why one muscle group per circuit. Yes one bicep exercise.
Try Flys, Shrugs, Crunches.
Just pick a couple of things to fill a circuit.

Quixote
11-16-2010, 21:58
Here's what I'm thinking about trying now:

Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Squats
Overhead Press/Push Press?
Weighted crunches
Deadlifts/Stiff Leg Deadlifts?

I'm not sure about the overhead press or the push press. I'm not doing any dedicated triceps work, but they are ancillary muscles pretty often in this setup. Fundamentally I guess I won't know how they'll be hit until I try it. I'm also not sure about the deadlifts - Do deadlifts suffer the same problem as squats at low weight (low hamstring activation)? If they do, are stiff leg deadlifts a viable solution?

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-17-2010, 00:01
Here's what I'm thinking about trying now:

Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Squats
Overhead Press/Push Press?
Weighted crunches
Deadlifts/Stiff Leg Deadlifts? These are recommended as it will be double tricep

I'm not sure about the overhead press or the push press. I'm not doing any dedicated triceps work, but they are ancillary muscles pretty often in this setup. Fundamentally I guess I won't know how they'll be hit until I try it. I'm also not sure about the deadlifts - Do deadlifts suffer the same problem as squats at low weight (low hamstring activation)? If they do, are stiff leg deadlifts a viable solution?only way to exercise Hamstrings is to "Actively"Flex the Ham. Hams aren't worked in a squat

Quixote
11-17-2010, 09:27
Hence the stiff leg deadlifts. Though I think I'll switch them to rack pulls. Interestingly, I was reading an experiment where a subject was hooked up to an EMG to test muscle fiber activation with various exercises and heavy rack pulls also seem to activate back muscles nearly as well as pull ups and weighted chin ups and far better than heavy bent over rows. Again, I don't know how much lower weight will affect the biomechanics of the movement, but I might need to swap out the barbell rows.

ksboi
11-25-2010, 07:07
Did my second workout for blitzzing. Went bad burned the whole time and then walked back to the company and legs felt like jelly here is what i did for exercises

Chest Press Machine
Cable Curls
Weighted Crunches
Leg Extension
Hack Squat machine
Lat Pulldown
Cable Flies

Also just got off profile so I will be taking the running and rucking easy for a while but I have scheduled a PT test in a couple months and I will see how blitzzing will improve my situps and run.

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-25-2010, 08:04
Gents, I have reviewed and revamped the Blitz worksheet on an Excell spreadsheet. The bugs are out and I'll send one out to anyone who want it . Just PM me your E-mail address. This sheet can be filled out and E-mailed to me for evaluations and comments. Blitzzz
Blitzzz@aol.com

ksboi
12-07-2010, 01:20
So I started with the muliti circuits yesterday. After the first circuit I felt good, stretched for four minutes then hit it again. I felt like I was going to puke after the third exercise. Some of the exercises I passed my reps and some stayed the same and some lower. I will keep on hitting it hard.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-07-2010, 21:40
Anyone Blitzing should use the excell spread sheet and Email a copy to me after starting. I can then update them here and critique and /or advise from solid numbers..
Thanks Blitzzz.

Irishsquid
12-10-2010, 13:10
Could the Blitz protocol be used with good results in compound lifts? Clean & Press, Clean & Jerk, etc?

Some combination like:

Clean & Jerk
Squat
Lat pull
Hamstring Curl
Rear Delt Fly
Shrug
Crunch
Chest Fly

Or would it be dangerous to perform compound movements at Blitz speeds? If there is not sufficient data, I'll be happy to be the guinea pig...I have had good results with even my half-assed attempts at the Blitz protocol, but I really enjoy the compound lifts. Just a point of curiosity.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-11-2010, 14:55
Could the Blitz protocol be used with good results in compound lifts? Clean & Press, Clean & Jerk, etc?

Some combination like:

Clean & Jerk
Squat
Lat pull
Hamstring Curl
Rear Delt Fly
Shrug
Crunch
Chest Fly

Or would it be dangerous to perform compound movements at Blitz speeds? If there is not sufficient data, I'll be happy to be the guinea pig...I have had good results with even my half-assed attempts at the Blitz protocol, but I really enjoy the compound lifts. Just a point of curiosity.

Safety first. PERFECT FORM, and 1/4 RM to start. Guinea pig is welcome..Thank keep me informed. Dave.

Irishsquid
12-11-2010, 17:58
Safety first. PERFECT FORM, and 1/4 RM to start. Guinea pig is welcome..Thank keep me informed. Dave.

Well...was a great workout. I threw in clean & press as a sample compound lift. Only problem I found is that with the large range or motion of the clean and press, the reps are a lot lower than for static lifts. 8 reps in 15 seconds would bring my goal reps to 32 in one minute. Could have gone faster, but I was paying very strict attention to form. I'll keep it going for 4-6 weeks, and let you know how the results look.

Richard
12-12-2010, 12:09
New Blitzz workouts? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQmFvCtx_Io&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1JqtbRPNps&feature=related

So it goes...

Richard :munchin

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-12-2010, 16:04
New Blitzz workouts? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQmFvCtx_Io&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1JqtbRPNps&feature=related

So it goes...

Richard :munchin

Those are the results of some sort of workout, but not Blitz.
Where those guys are presently, is where they would start the Blitz and the Gains I have forecasted would still be in effect.
Although, they are impressive, they aren't better than P90X, Crossfit, or another system out there.

Irishsquid
12-12-2010, 19:43
First video was primarily "front lever," and "planche," which are both common gymnastics training exercises. Not saying I could do them, but I agree, an advanced crossfitter should be able to do either. As for the second video...it's just a kipping pullup with a clap at the top. I may not knock out 20, but I check to see if I could do clapping pullups before I sat down, and they are definitely doable.

That said, I am still trying to work my way into a planche/planche-pushup. It takes a lot of balance, in addition to strength. Not the easiest thing in the world.

ksboi
12-17-2010, 02:08
This is after three weeks on it. Mon, Wed and Friday. I changed to Leg Curl from Leg extensions. Any help let me know. I also did running for the first time in about 2 months. Felt great to run, no more pain in my calf or hamstring. I can't wait to see after another month. Thank You

Irishsquid
12-21-2010, 13:25
Well, I didn't get to start last week, due to some family issues. Monday I started my experimental Blitz, with sample compoud movement.

I'll keep the weights to myself, as I'm rehabbing from injury, and the numbers are embarrassing ;-)

I started with just one round. Tomorrow will be two rounds, friday will be 3.

Lat Pull: goal reps 60, actual reps 56
Chest Fly: goal reps 60, actual reps 52
Rear delt fly: Goal reps 60, actual reps 53
Hamstring curl: Goal reps 72, actual reps 65
Clean & press: Goal reps 32, actual reps 26 (low rep counts due to the large range of motion and very strict attention to form)
Deadlift: goal reps 56, actual reps 47
Back squat: goal reps 60, actual reps 45

I'm going to dial back the weight on the deadlift and back squat, as I'm a little sore today. Everything else went well, and I'll work on the rep count for C&P once I'm sure I can do it without injury.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-21-2010, 13:34
This is interesting for me. You seem to have it right. I had not figured multiple joint exercises and am aware that rep counts well necessarily be lower but velocity should not be. I'll run some numbers on combined movements.Good thinking on the "soreness" factor.

Thanks for the good work.

ksboi
12-22-2010, 01:11
So after tweaking my workout and doing lying hamstring curls. I can say that it has improved my run time. I used the elyptical trainner since my ankle was still tender but on my usual level of resistance i kept a 9.5 mph pace for 3 miles without being over excerted. Nomore hard breathing after one mile no burning in my legs after a few minutes. I have a PT test coming up and i will post my before and after run times. Thank Blittzz

ksboi
01-18-2011, 07:04
Finally talked two guys into trying it with. After them whinning about not feeling sore the next day we adjusted the weights a little more to get 1/4 the max weight and they enjoy it. Will keep yall posted.

Irishsquid
01-18-2011, 12:45
Just an update: been out of it for a while...dealing with some pretty severe chemical burns. As of last week, though I'm able to work out again, and will be back to it this coming week. I will likely just start over, as several weeks have likely set me back to my starting point. Will post results.

Suivez Moi
02-05-2011, 13:45
The gym on my FOB is very small and most of the time it is pretty crowded. Could I do two or three sets depending on the day of each lift and then move on to the next? Would that mess up the routine to badly?

In the gym it is not feasible to have that many machines/areas tied up at one time. I am going on R&R very soon and when I return I am going to start Blitzing.

seak38
04-11-2011, 22:59
I just read 24 (24!) pages of thread, and am glad to see everyone's pleasant suprise at such results using Blitz. It's got me psyched! I'd love to be a SFAS-Prep guinea pig :lifter (PM me if you're interested, no ship-date yet). But a couple questions, which might help future Blitzers:

1. What would an effective home/portable Blitz gym have in it, if you can only access pulley-machines at your local gym?

2. Is Blitz possible without a workout buddy?

3. Is there a best circuit of exercises to prepare for 18X, or does it depend on the person's physical fitness at the time?

4. I've seen the Science behind Blitz mentioned, and would love to read a little of the theory behind the whole system, if you've got the time.

Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.

The Reaper
04-12-2011, 06:26
I just read 24 (24!) pages of thread, and am glad to see everyone's pleasant suprise at such results using Blitz. It's got me psyched! I'd love to be a SFAS-Prep guinea pig :lifter (PM me if you're interested, no ship-date yet). But a couple questions, which might help future Blitzers:

1. What would an effective home/portable Blitz gym have in it, if you can only access pulley-machines at your local gym?

3. Is there a best circuit of exercises to prepare for 18X, or does it depend on the person's physical fitness at the time?

4. I've seen the Science behind Blitz mentioned, and would love to read a little of the theory behind the whole system, if you've got the time.

Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.

Your first exercise events should probably be rereading the rules and stickies and running to the Intro thread to take care of business there.

TR

Dozer523
04-12-2011, 06:36
2. Is Blitz possible without a workout buddy?Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.
Don't sweat that. You've already made a friend.

seak38
04-16-2011, 20:59
Could've sworn I posted an intro, looks like I did not. Sorry for breach of SOP!

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-22-2011, 14:28
[QUOTE=seak38;386205]I just read 24 (24!) pages of thread, and am glad to see everyone's pleasant suprise at such results using Blitz. It's got me psyched! I'd love to be a SFAS-Prep guinea pig :lifter (PM me if you're interested, no ship-date yet). But a couple questions, which might help future Blitzers:

Check the "Bodylastics" band system. also there the Coture band system but you'll need to augment with some lighter bands to Blitz, same with the "Tower of Power'" by Body be Jack. there is a pretty good Lecerage system built buy "Stamina" called the "Viper".

Very difficult to count reps without a Partner. but possible with a good timer or large sweep hand clock hinging in front of you.

Blitz is an exercise Method and allows the individual to design circuits to match needs. PM me for suggestions if you want.

PM me is you'd want more than I've sent you.

Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.[/QUOTE

Hope this helps...and anyone using should post some for the others.

Milktrckcopilot
04-28-2011, 13:44
Blitzzz,

PM sent

MTCP

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-13-2011, 14:48
Just an update: been out of it for a while...dealing with some pretty severe chemical burns. As of last week, though I'm able to work out again, and will be back to it this coming week. I will likely just start over, as several weeks have likely set me back to my starting point. Will post results.

A couple of weeks probably will not set you back much...Let me know... Good luck.

Murak
07-01-2011, 14:43
Upon speaking with blitzzz regarding this training regimen, I will be incorporating SORB's running/rucking recommendations with this training program within the next week. Regarding SFAS, I will update results with a goal to aid other brothers along the same route we're currently focused on. As I am fairly positive these two PT routines have not been used in conjunction with each other, I'm aiming to correlate these in hopes of, another to be, source of preparation for all of us willing, able, and preparing for SFAS. Charlie mic.

Isshin2
07-02-2011, 01:34
Upon speaking with blitzzz regarding this training regimen, I will be incorporating SORB's running/rucking recommendations with this training program within the next week. Regarding SFAS, I will update results with a goal to aid other brothers along the same route we're currently focused on. As I am fairly positive these two PT routines have not been used in conjunction with each other, I'm aiming to correlate these in hopes of, another to be, source of preparation for all of us willing, able, and preparing for SFAS. Charlie mic.

Good luck, I will be watching for your results. I will be starting The Blitz next week. However, due to my deployment schedule, I am only able to ruck once a week. I go for 12 miles with a 45lb ruck, but haven't incorporated speed into the workout. I will also post my results from The Blitz.

Murak
07-15-2011, 20:02
Began 'Blitz" regimen this week finding 1RM/GRs on Monday doing a complete workout Friday. For a complete description of the SITREP, I felt it necessary to include what additional training I am incorporating along with the "Blitz" program. Monday - Morning: 3mi run
- Evening: Blitz ->
Exercise: 1RM SW GR
Smith-machine Bench: 270#; 90# 56
Hammer Curls (Preacher): 45#; 15# 52
Crunches: GR = 60
BB Lunge Single: 160#; 52.5# 52
Hamstring Curls: 180#; 60# 50
Lat Pulldowns: 170#; 57# 52
Flys (DB): 60#; 20# 44
Smith-machine Deadlift: 353#; 118# 40

Tuesday: 60min ruck w/55lbs.
Wednesday: 3/6min Walk/Run x 5 sets, with issued Belleville hot weather boots.
Thursday: 4/6min Walk/Run x 5 sets, " ."
Friday: Morning -> For Blizting purposes; 85min ruck w/25lbs. Pace count/Velocity emphasis.
: Evening Blitz circuit. To corresponding numbers stated above, I will list the reps completed and post-Blitz thoughts. To insure proper form/velocity, controlling each and every motion held top priority. Keeping in mind to also complete as many reps as possible.
Bench: SW: 90# GR: 56; Reps: 51
Hammers: 15# : 52; Right - 48/Left - 49
Crunches: 56
BB Lunge: 52.5# : 52; Right - 41/Left - 24
Each exercise targeted the appropriate muscle group with desired results, there is one movement that I would recommend substituting. Doing barbell single leg lunges with one leg elevated onto a bench or stable surface created an unnecessary amount of stress on the hips and knees. This led to a suprisingly quick build-up of lactic acid and made it difficult to focus on the primary goal; achieving as many controlled repititions as possible. All though the reps speak for themselves I will experiment to find a proper substitute, in the mean time input on good quad exercises that have produced substantial results would be greatly appreciated.
Hamstring Curls: 60# : 60; 46
Pulldowns: 57# : 52; 49
Flys: 20# : 44; 43
DL: 118# : 40; 32

As this was the first week, only completing Phase One, I am looking forward to the results as this first full circuit gave me the "shakes" upon completion. Legs are very fatigued as I'm sure most has to do with running/rucking as well (4 sets of pushups/situps throughout each day). Although I can't provide much information in terms of results, I figured I would update for any comments/suggestions. Hope all others using 'Blitz' are keeping strong and anticipate viewing successful progress. Thanks all, will continue to update, charlie mic.

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-15-2011, 20:29
double or single knee extensions.
Best example is from Tom Thobe, who at the end of seven weeks was doing 142 reps per min with 270 lbs Bilateral knee extensions. That comes to 38,380 lbs per min. Big numbers,,so three circuits added up to over 115,000 lbs.

so I would suggest knee extensions..

Murak
07-25-2011, 12:11
Phase Two

July 20th '11 GR >< SW; Circuit 1 2
Bench ----------56 >< 90; 46 46
Hammers-------52 >< 15; R:45/L:48 R:47/L:49
Crunches-------60 >< X; 56 60
Leg Ext. --------X >< 70; 39 48
Leg Curls ------60 >< 60; 48 50
Lat Pulls -------52 >< 57; 45 48
Flys ------------44 >< 20; 41 41
Dead Lift ------40 >< 118; 39 37

July 22nd '11 GR SW; Cir. 1 2
Bench ----------56 >< 90; 54 52
Hammers-------52 >< 15; R:48/L:46 R:52/L:48
Crunches-------60 >< X; 64 68
Leg Ext. --------X >< 70; 41 43
Leg Curls ------60 >< 60; 45 48
Lat Pulls -------52 >< 57; 50 50
Flys ------------44 >< 20; 43 44
Dead Lift ------40 >< 118; 39 39

Phase Two - Three Circuits
Today was the first Blitz with three circuits with 30sec or less rest in between. Due to members in the gym and equipment availability time varies, but never more than half a minute. Post-workout results, as an example I use an auxiliary cord to connect my ipod to the head unit in my POV. After the full three circuits and leaving the gym I was having trouble connecting the cord into the ipod, hands were very unsteady. Results below.

July 25th '11 GR >< SW; Cir. 1 2 3
Bench ----------56 >< 90; 47 48 38 (Accidentally put a 5lb on the bar rather than a 2.5)
Hammers-------52 >< 15; 51 51 R:47/L:45
Crunches-------60 >< X; 62 63 57
Leg Ext. --------54 >< 65; 51 47 40
Leg Curls ------60 >< 60; 51 51 50
Lat Pulls -------52 >< 57; 52 52 45
Flys ------------44 >< 20; 46 47 40
Dead Lift ------40 >< 118; 41 41 35

Charlie mic.

Murak
08-01-2011, 16:29
Three weeks completed. From the last SITREP total volume from the 27th at 59,241lbs moved up to 64,663lbs as of my most recent circuit, this afternoon. Reps from 1,185 to 1,298. Results:
Bench: C1:52 C2:54 C3:47----GR: 56
Hammers: 1:54 2:56 3:52--------: 52
Crunches: 1:67 2:67 3:67--------: 60
Leg Ext.: 1:59 2:60 3:60--------: 54
Ham curl.: 1:56 2:56 3:56-------: 60
Lat Pulls: 1:54 2:55 3:53-------: 52
Flys: 1:52 2:52 3:46-------: 44
DL: 1:41 2:42 3:40-------: 40

Charlie mic.

Murak
08-16-2011, 08:19
Apologize for the tardiness regarding SITREP consistency. Apartment lease contract was up, had to move, busy. Yesterday's Blitz results.

Bench: C1:58 C2:56 C3:52----GR: 56
Hammers: 1:54 2:54 3:46--------: 52
Crunches: 1:74 2:73 3:69--------: 60
Leg Ext.: 1:57 2:57 3:59--------: 54
Ham curl.: 1:58 2:58 3:58-------: 60
Lat Pulls: 1:54 2:57 3:54-------: 52
Flys: 1:58 2:60 3:51-------: 44
DL: 1:43 2:43 3:40-------: 40

Delta-1-Bravo
08-16-2011, 11:21
Thanks for continuing to share your results. Couple of suggestions...

It would be interesting to know your Bench, Deadlift & Squat (hamstrings contacting calves) totals. What is your 1-RM, 3-RM or 5-RM in those lifts? What is it now compared to what it was before?

Also, average ruck speed w/55-lbs? What was it before, what is it now? Longest ruck before, longest ruck now? Same thing for pullups (and/or weighted pullups) and 1.5-mile run time.

The data posted shows improvement at a very specific workout. The more important question: are you getting stronger/fitter as it relates to more basic, functional tasks?

Murak
08-16-2011, 13:24
Since currently in the middle of the program I am unable to test for maxes at least for another three weeks to see full results, eight-ten weeks I will retest. I am as curious as you :lifter!

Most recent ruck was 6mi 30lb pack, through suggestion from Dave, to maintain pace velocity in accordance with the routine. So I apologize I can not give a definitive before/after as I changed weight to maintain Blitz protocol. Also running in my boots has made a slight bother in my hip, I'm waiting until it's less apparent to ruck again. Time was 1hr 24min. Most recent 1.5mi timed run 9:04. Pullups I will do on my next non-weight day Thursday to give an answer.

I can say that with stretching and participating in the routine, functionally, I notice a difference. Much more flexible, lactic acid build-up has decreased, endurance has increased, and strength is as shown increasing quickly. I can definitively say I am becoming stronger, leaner, and gaining more true muscle mass. Running stride has improved as well as leg endurance via run duration. I hope that helped answer some of your questions.

Delta-1-Bravo
08-16-2011, 15:34
Thanks for the info and continued success w/your training.

Murak
09-01-2011, 10:51
First off, condolences to Blitzzz, sorry for your loss. RIP Mam.

Retested maxes to begin new circuit with different exercises. Max results as of previous exercises:

Bench- 270 -> 280
Hammer Curl- 60 -> 66
Crunches- 60 -> 84
Leg Extension- 270 -> 280
Leg Curl- 180 -> 273 (Largest jump out of all numbers. Possibly due to lack of training pre-routine, but numbers don't lie.
Lat Pulldown- 171 -> 228 (18 Pull ups)
Flys- 57 -> 66
Dead Lift- 355 -> 360

Will begin new circuit with the following lifts and max numbers, all done on the same day.

Shoulder Press- 147
Barbell Curl- 121
Decline Situps- 60
Leg Press (Machine)- 413
Leg Curl- 273
Wide - grip Lat pulldown- 213
Incline Flys- 66
Dead Lift- 360

Will post circuit results upon completion of workout. Charlie mic. :lifter

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-12-2011, 09:38
I am watching your numbers, and would ask these things. How much other than Blitz type exercises are you doing between blitz workouts?
Any work done with the same muscle group with other than blitz weights will be detrimental to best development.
your rep speeds, while looking good, seem "slow" to me. Not being there to coach you, I can'i determine what may be slowing your speeds.
Are you using the Excell worksheet.and following the "no" weight increase until meeting GRs X 3 circuits? may want to reread the "Blitz Pamphlet"
Even done improperly there will be gains, but done as written will benefit the Max..
I am proud of your work and understand the additional work, but believe me when I say it is more detrimental than beneficial, when Blitzing.
PM me and I'll give you my number so we can discuss any problems or concerns you may have .. Dave.

BonesMcCoy
10-13-2011, 04:15
Blitzz,
Sir, tomorrow I am going to start on your program. I will get all of my 1RM for the exercises tomorrow. Monday I will actually start the program. The exercises I chose to go with are as follows:

1. Machine Bench Press
2. Machine Shoulder Press
3. Lat Pull Down
4. Dead Lift
5. Leg Press
6. Upright Row
7. Hanging Knee Lifts
8. Decline Sit Ups

My question is, in your opinion are the lifts that are not utilizing the machines going to be detrimental to the plan? If so, what would be good substitutions for them. Any other advise/input from you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-26-2013, 09:28
There have been some questions as to any "results" of Blitzing that could be posted here for others to see. I too am curious for info related to the results.

Doctor Porkchop
01-29-2013, 22:35
Blitz,
I've been following this forum for a few years already, I was never able to convince any of my team mates on trying out your program since CF, MA, and Sealfit seem to be popular lately, but now that we are in the Stan my guys are finally accepting the fact that they are not indestructible/invincible. That being said I am going to use the blitz program on my TS, he had an accident earlier last year which is now causing shoulder problems, I've had to administer corticosteroids and that has left him feeling better but not able to lift heavy weights, my goal is to sell your program to the rest of the team using the TS, I have an 8 week time window to provide the results to my guys and to the rest of the blitzzers on this forum, please send me a copy of the blitz program I will PM you with my email address. Any advice as far as PT rehab is welcome. Thanks

Isshin2
01-30-2013, 10:26
Last year, while in Afghanistan, I use the Blitz for six weeks. I did not get a chance to post my progress due to our optempo and for a while PS.com was blocked. I was pleased with the results and plan to implement this program again when I can afford a gym membership. If I remember my program correctly, it consisted of:

Bench Press
Bicep Curl
Lat Pull Down
Weight Crunches
Leg extensions
Leg Curls
Calf Raises

I used a machine for all exercises except for the crunches and calf raises. I progressed just as Blitzzz described it should be in the information he sent me and with his guidance. I had to drop the bicep curl, because it was interfering with the lat pull down. I also incorporated running and sprinting on days off, with one ruck march during the week.

I had an APFT in week seven. I scored a 300 with the highest number of push-ups and sit-ups and the fasted run time in my career. On the push-up and sit-up events, my muscular endurance was phenomenal as compared to my previous fitness tests. I was able to maintain a fast and steady rhythm for the entire two minutes.

My strength was a little different. In week 8, I was curious and decided to test my max. I put my warm-up weight of 205lbs on the bench. I was able to lift it, but it felt like I was trying to lift a Mac Truck. The same thing occurred with my squat. My body was no longer use to lifting heavy weights. However, I decided to keep lifting heavy for the next two weeks. By the third week, my body was use to the heavy weights again and I had surpassed my previous max in my two main lifts.

I hope this helps in giving you some idea of results. I am currently doing a bodyweight routine because it's inexpensive and available. I was definitely pleased with the results of The Blitz and plan to use it again when I have access to a proper gym.

Irishsquid
02-01-2013, 00:14
Blitz,

I'm a 100% barbell and dumbell guy. I've been trying for ages to find a way to implement the Blitz protocol using barbells and multijoint movements. I could use some advice.

If I want, for instance, to work hamstrings, Romanian deadlifts or straight-leg deadlifts are the ticket, but then if I work squats or "regular," deadlifts, I'll be overtraining the glutes, right? Or would that not be a problem, since they aren't the "primary," mover in these exercises?

Would I be better served to do some kind of modified Blitz protocol, sort of a Workout A/Workout B system? Or would I be better served by just cutting down on the number of exercises?

<Overhead presses, hang snatches, squats, Romanian deadlifts> would seem to give a pretty comprehensive workout...

Any advice?

ETA: Starting everything with an empty olympic weight bar, and increase as needed from there.

Blitzzz (RIP)
02-01-2013, 10:09
Squid, Free weights are fine with Blitz. A thought here. I tend to exercise muscles, and bring them to their finest peak/conditioning. Deadlift, swinging a bat, shooting a basketball , pitching. dancing are all activities. Activities done better with muscle perfection. I would exercise the muscles involved in an activity instead of using the activity as an exercise.

Blitzzz (RIP)
04-27-2014, 08:27
Hey guts, I've been out for a while and was awakened by Reaper...lol. I have a favor to ask of anyone who used the Blitz . I am collecting Feedback for a project and would like any...good or bad ...that any of you may have experienced
I thank you all in advanced
Dave

BryanK
03-25-2015, 09:28
I just heard of Dave's passing. My wife and I met him in Nashville a few years ago, and he was a good guy. Rest in Peace Dave :(

PSM
03-25-2015, 18:28
Rest in Peace, MSG Boltz.

Pat

Landslide
12-12-2019, 14:49
Removed.

abc_123
01-21-2020, 20:42
I am really interested in this program and unfortunately I see that Blitzzz has passed away. Does anyone in this thread have a full copy of the methodology? I see that in another thread Blitz wrote a simplified version of his instructions, but I gather there is a PDF with more detailed instructions as well as an Excel spreadsheet, I would love to get those if anyone has them.

Landslide,

Just now seeing this.

I might have some stuff hanging around. I had some extensive back and forth with him about a decade ago (+-) and kept a bunch of stuff that I printed out in a manilla folder that I have hanging around somewhere in a box. I will look for it for you. However, I can tell you that you can gain a bunch of info if you sort through the entire Blitzz thread.

For a time, I was in a situation where I had the equipment access and motivation to give this methodology an honest shot. I kept a spreadsheet of detailed timings and weights, reps etc. I documented everything. It was tough because I never had a workout partner. It is hard to push yourself and move at the speed that your circuit requires to get any benefit, but it can be done. I never was able to get my lower body dialed in, though. However I can say that I did achieve upper body strength endurance levels way beyond what I ever experienced before or since. And this was after playing D1AA Football, serving 19-20yrs in the Army and serving in SF for over a decade. 10's more Pushup Reps without stopping than any other APFT in my career. Pullups? Way more than ever. All pretty freaky actually. Eventually life happened and I ended up without access to uncrowded gym equipment that is essential to keeping up the speed that you need....and I fell away from this.

Others may have had different experiences, and I am not qualified to debate the science. All I know is that I didn't hurt myself and that it worked for my upper body.

Recommend that if you try it and want the best results the fastest, you keep the circuits to a managable number of exercises (start small), focus on your upper body, and whatever you do, do not short-cut the startup and "break in" phase. Add weight and volume too fast and you will hurt yourself. Follow Blitzz's rules and you will be fine.

Good luck, and PM me if you want to talk specifics.

abc