PDA

View Full Version : Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr

Team Sergeant
07-09-2009, 16:11
Derrell Gardner

Let me start by saying "thank you" to the people of Ft Myers for encouraging me to campaign for Mayor.
I am happily married with two small, beautiful children. I have been working and living in Ft. Myers for almost 12 years and can see the real potential of our city from a family and working man's point of view.

I graduated from Miami's Southridge Senior High in 1982. I then went into the U.S. Army for six years where I served in Special Forces. Mylast duty station was at the J.F.K Center at Ft. Bragg, N.C.After serving my country, I wanted to see more of the country and spent time in MO, TX, TN and then returned home to Florida. Of all the skills I learned, my custom made furniture business, which I started in 1987, was my favorite and was the most universally accepted. When I moved to Ft. Myers in 1997, I was quickly able to earn a living with it. After all, I had been mentored by my Grandfather and father since I was five.
However, my business, like so many others, has had to adapt with thechanges thrown at it over the years. While offering beautiful furniture, I found a need for appliances and other home improvement items so I started that business as well. Eventually, I opened a thrift shop on Hansen St. where folks could come and browse. Since I now had a supply of building material, I began to rehab homes in our neighborhood that had fallen into disrepair. After all, I am a carpenter by trade. While rehabing homes, I was brought face to face with many of the problems plaguing city government today. I ran up against obstacles in almost every department.
Some of which were so silly I felt that they certainly could be handled better.
While talking to folks, I discovered many others had the same problems.
As I complained, people began to suggest that I run for office or at least volunteer for something like the Planning Board. I am currently a member of the Planning Board and, as such, have seen even more areas that need improvement.This has all led to my candidacy for Mayor. I have talked with everyone I can find who will talk to me about what issues they are faced with and I am convinced that I am the person to take these problems head-on. As is more than evident that I am not an attorney or a banker.
Rather, I am a hard working, practical and energetic businessman. I believe government is for the safety and well being of everyone in the community. Our tax dollars should be spent for everyone's betterment so all can enjoy living in the greatest country in the world. In order to earn that, we all must work together!
I love heart fort ft myers

Derrell Gardner '09

http://derrellgardner.com/about.html

Team Sergeant
07-09-2009, 16:15
Derrell Gardner is running for mayor of Ft Myers, Fl.

After reading the above, posted on Derrell Gardner's website do you think Derrell Gardner might have actually served six years in Special Forces????

And guess who's Special Forces Qualification class Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr would have been in? Yup, none other than mine.....;)

Again, after reading from "his" website, do you think Derrell Gardner served six years in Special Forces?

greenberetTFS
07-09-2009, 16:31
Has anyone contacted SFA to see if he's at least a member? :rolleyes: I'd start there first....If he is, than that should tell us something,but 6 years means he went from basic to jump school and than directly to SFQC.....They didn't have an 18X program in 1982 did they?;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Team Sergeant
07-09-2009, 16:34
Has anyone contacted SFA to see if he's at least a member? :rolleyes: I'd start there first....If he is, than that should tell us something,but 6 years means he went from basic to jump school and than directly to SFQC.....They didn't have an 18X program in 1982 did they?;)

Big Teddy, I already know the answer......
I just want to know what you think from his website.....

SF_BHT
07-09-2009, 16:54
I would say that from his statement below he was in SF and his last assignment was at SWC. Not much Team time with 6 years in the army. Must have been an SF Baby from this......

I then went into the U.S. Army for six years where I served in Special Forces. My last duty station was at the J.F.K Center at Ft. Bragg, N.C.

Just my 2 cents from a superficial look......:munchin

There must be something more to this I bet.....:munchin

abc_123
07-09-2009, 17:02
TS,

I'ts obvious the picture that he is trying to paint from his very short, and to my educated eyeball, a very undistinguished Army interlude (can't really call it a career if he was only in for 6 years now can I?).

The story that he is making it easy for readers to "assume" is:

1. He is Special Forces qualified
2. He served in SF for six years.

His mention of SWC and Ft. Bragg as his "final duty station" is calculated to further the picture that he wants the reader to have.

If pressed on this, he will go into his equally well thought out justifications and "fall back positions"

1. I didin't mean I was in SF for 6 years... I was in the Army for 6 years and I served for part of the time in an SF unit (if at all)
2. I never said I was SF qualified...
3. Etc. etc.

Dirtbag.

Team Sergeant
07-09-2009, 17:11
Now the real story:

Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr
PFC/E-3
DOR: 19 Aug 83
Job Skill 11B Infantry
Entered the Military: D.E.P. 03 May 82
Entered Active Duty: 19 Aug 82
School Assignment: OUST 11X (26 Aug 82 to 17 Nov 82) School Assignment:
Airborne Class 10-83 (14 Jan 83 to 04 Feb 83) School Assignment: Special Forces Qualification Course (08 Feb 83 to 23 Jan 84) Last active duty
assignment: Company C, 1st Special Warfare Training Battalion, JFK Special Warfare Center, Fort Bragg, NC Released from Active Duty: 01 Feb
84 (Transferred to the Individual Ready Reserve)
Discharged: 18 Aug 88 (Rank PFC/E-3)

Awards & Decorations
Army Service Ribbon
Parachutist Badge

You SF types please feel free to comment on Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr six years in Special Forces. :rolleyes:

The Reaper
07-09-2009, 17:12
I would say that he is adding 16 months of AD time to 56 months in the Individual Ready Reserve to get six years. Zero team time, and I doubt he even graduated from the SFQC, since he was discharged as a PFC. Probably UCMJed or Chaptered out, could be Med.

Does anyone else count their unmobilized IRR time in their service?

More than a bit of a stretch of an apparently undistinguished career.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-09-2009, 17:18
Tomorrow Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr will be a "Mayor – Active Candidate" (see below)

http://www.cityftmyers.com/Government/CityClerk/Information/2009Election/tabid/773/Default.aspx#signregulations

Pete
07-09-2009, 17:19
He has less than two years active duty.

An SF enlistment option would have been at least 3 years - most probably 4.

His "active duty" ended in the SF Schools Battalion. Never served as a Special Forces Soldier.

So something caused an early out - and he ain't talking about it. Says something about the situation and the man.

Richard
07-09-2009, 17:29
So something caused an early out - and he ain't talking about it.

Medical, unsuitability, or pattern of misconduct - I'd wager. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Pete
07-10-2009, 10:11
I wonder if any of the other candidates have asked him about his "Special Forces" time and early out?

Richard
07-10-2009, 11:27
With all these posers out there we should set up a special group for them...

There already is - go to this link and search Phonies & Wannabees.

http://www.pownetwork.org/

Whenever we or anyone uncovers one of these guys, let the Schantags know and they'll check into it and add them to the list. It's worked whenever I sent them info - such as the Gene DeFord case who is listed under the D's in List #2 (Those claiming Medal of Honor, WW II POWs, Korean War POWs, Gulf War POWs, Post War POWs, Civilian POWs, MIAs, KIAs, Other than Vietnam POWs, DSC, DFC, DSM, Purple Heart, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Son Tay Raiders, Navy SEAL, Army Rangers, Pilots, Nurse, Special Forces, Green Berets, Combat Marine Recon, Sniper, Vietnam Helicopter Pilots,
Flying Tigers, Pararescue, Airborne, Tuskegee Airmen, CIA, Phoenix Program, etc) at -

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies1057.htm

greenberetTFS
07-10-2009, 11:35
There already is - go to this link and search Phonies & Wannabees.

http://www.pownetwork.org/

Whenever we or anyone uncovers one of these guys, let the Schantags know and they'll check into it and add them to the list. It's worked whenever I sent them info - such as the Gene DeFord case who is listed under the D's in List #2 (Those claiming Medal of Honor, WW II POWs, Korean War POWs, Gulf War POWs, Post War POWs, Civilian POWs, MIAs, KIAs, Other than Vietnam POWs, DSC, DFC, DSM, Purple Heart, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Son Tay Raiders, Navy SEAL, Army Rangers, Pilots, Nurse, Special Forces, Green Berets, Combat Marine Recon, Sniper, Vietnam Helicopter Pilots,
Flying Tigers, Pararescue, Airborne, Tuskegee Airmen, CIA, Phoenix Program, etc) at -

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies1057.htm

Richard's $.02

Thanks Richard, I know I've should have checked this out first.....:rolleyes: What is it that that the young people say when they screw up? ;) My bad.....:(

Richard
07-10-2009, 12:02
Teddy - no screw up - there's so much on the WWW it's difficult to be cognizant of it all.

BoMcCormick
07-10-2009, 14:00
Anybody have a problem if the first of next week I seek him out and ask for a meeting with him.... at that time I'll flat out ask him?
I live here in Fort Myers. I can probably get a few other members of our club, (Special Forces Motorcycle Club, Inc.) to ride with me and see what the man has to say, that is if he will even speak to me. I will tell him the truth, we are are 501(c)(19) Veterans Group, nonprofit corporation and want to get his thoughts on a couple of issues. Won't even tell him the name of our club.
See how it works out. Any thoughts on that?
Bo
Founder/National Treasurer
SFMC, Inc.

Pete
07-10-2009, 14:12
Anybody have a problem if the first of next week I seek him out and ask for a meeting with him.... at that time I'll flat out ask him?.......

Be nice - and take a local reporter with you. I'm sure the local Media would love to get the story.

SF_BHT
07-10-2009, 14:58
I sent him an e-mail to his campaign address and hope to get a reply...

Derrell

Just noticed your web site. Good luck with your run for office from another another Special Forces Soldier.

Hope you get in. That will add to the current elected officials nation wide that are veterans of Army Special Forces.

I served in 5th and 3rd SFG(A) for years. What Group and ODA did you serve on. We might know some of the same people. We have a good network out there that could help, let me know.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards XXXXXXX:munchin:munchin

SF_BHT
07-10-2009, 14:59
Anybody have a problem if the first of next week I seek him out and ask for a meeting with him.... at that time I'll flat out ask him?
I live here in Fort Myers. I can probably get a few other members of our club, (Special Forces Motorcycle Club, Inc.) to ride with me and see what the man has to say, that is if he will even speak to me. I will tell him the truth, we are are 501(c)(19) Veterans Group, nonprofit corporation and want to get his thoughts on a couple of issues. Won't even tell him the name of our club.
See how it works out. Any thoughts on that?
Bo
Founder/National Treasurer
SFMC, Inc.

Get the contact from TS and take them with you....

BoMcCormick
07-10-2009, 15:25
TS
Mind if I print out and take the data you provided with me?

Anyway I count this it's 20 months active duty time and he was released from
active duty right from the Q Course. Is that your take on this also? The only way this flys
is if he went in as Army Reserve and then served the rest of his time with the Reserve.
I still don't see an SF MOS anywhere in the record you posted.

Just want to be sure I have my facts straight when we go for the interview.
Just what we need in politics around Fort Myers, another friggin dishonest politician.
IE:

PFC/E-3
Job Skill 11B Infantry
Airborne Class 10-83 (14 Jan 83 to 04 Feb 83) School Assignment: Special Forces Qualification Course (08 Feb 83 to 23 Jan 84) Last active duty
assignment: Company C, 1st Special Warfare Training Battalion, JFK Special Warfare Center, Fort Bragg, NC Released from Active Duty: 01 Feb

Awards & Decorations
Army Service Ribbon
Parachutist Badge

Pete.. as suggested I will see if I can arrange for a local reporter to be there.
I think I want to buy this guy (Gardner) lunch..to make it even more appetizing.

Team Sergeant
07-10-2009, 17:25
TS
Mind if I print out and take the data you provided with me?

Anyway I count this it's 20 months active duty time and he was released from
active duty right from the Q Course. Is that your take on this also? The only way this flys
is if he went in as Army Reserve and then served the rest of his time with the Reserve.
I still don't see an SF MOS anywhere in the record you posted.

Just want to be sure I have my facts straight when we go for the interview.
Just what we need in politics around Fort Myers, another friggin dishonest politician.
IE:

PFC/E-3
Job Skill 11B Infantry

Awards & Decorations
Army Service Ribbon
Parachutist Badge

Pete.. as suggested I will see if I can arrange for a local reporter to be there.
I think I want to buy this guy (Gardner) lunch..to make it even more appetizing.

Go for it Bo!

A local reporter already "attempted" to interview Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr concerning his Special Forces claims, and he told her "You'll have to speak with my lawyer".

The SFA attempted to contact Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr with no reply.

I can tell you there will be a newspaper article posted tomorrow concerning this individual and they even quoted someone on this website.....:D

Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr ain't going to like what he reads.

You can fool just about everyone, except the real Green Beret wearing Special Forces soldiers.

TS

Kyobanim
07-10-2009, 19:47
I just googled this guys name and the first link that comes up is to this thread. hahahahahahaha

SF_BHT
07-10-2009, 20:03
I just googled this guys name and the first link that comes up is to this thread. hahahahahahaha

You are so right.... That is Soooo Funny...... Wonder what his campaign manager is thinking right now.....:cool:

Team Sergeant
07-10-2009, 21:00
You are so right.... That is Soooo Funny...... Wonder what his campaign manager is thinking right now.....:cool:

You could write them and direct them here..... :D

SF_BHT
07-10-2009, 21:36
You could write them and direct them here..... :D

OK I will ask them to Google his name and they will get the hint...

DONE.....

BoMcCormick
07-11-2009, 07:09
SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT IT COVERED.
I will wait and see what comes up in the local paper.. Maybe a phone call to the local TV stations would be better than me meeting with him personally.
I have had pretty good luck with them in the past.

We are off to Apollo Beach today for a cookout to honor retiring MAJ GEN David Scott. He is retirng from the USAF and his last duty station is with USSOCOM.
The General has applied for membership to our organization as an Associate Member and I think all will welcome him. I'll check back in here tonight when I get back to see what has transpired with Gardner before I make a move.

You Gentleman have a great day..
Catch ya later..
Bo

Pete
07-11-2009, 13:03
Derrell Gardner

Anybody get a link to the story make sure you post it.

Just hangin' out waiting to read it.

Richard
07-11-2009, 13:38
Just hangin' out waiting to read it.

Me, too. I love a good comedy. :p I checked the Fort Meyers papers this morning and couldn't find anything on him other than yesterday's confirmation of his qualifying to run for Mayor.

Richard

SF_BHT
07-11-2009, 14:01
No one answers their phone or e-mails from this camp...... Wonder if they are still out there?

Would love to see the story also....:munchin
I am sure they have a good explanation for this...... NOT...

Team Sergeant
07-11-2009, 15:35
I'm guessing the internet version of the newspaper comes out a day after it was in ink.;)

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090711/NEWS0110/907110355/1085/NEWS0110

Fort Myers council, mayor hopefuls certified
Eleven candidates on Fort Myers ballot
by gabriella souza • gsouza@news-press.com • July 11, 2009

Eleven candidates for three city council positions and mayor of Fort Myers were certified Friday, the kickoff for two months of campaigning before September's primary election.

The candidates promised to run clean and positive campaigns as they got up to introduce themselves and their families.
Councilman Warren Wright, who said Friday that he will not seek re-election in Ward 1, told the candidates how special he felt when he was sworn in.
"That moment for me filled me with awe and I would hope these candidates would feel the same," Wright said.
The Sept. 15 primary election will be held for the mayoral and Ward 1 races because both have more than three candidates.
If one person wins a majority in those races, he or she will win and the race does not need to continue to the Nov. 3 general election when the Ward 3 and 5 races will be decided.
The candidates and their races are:
Mayor
- Derrell Gardner: sits on the city's planning board; local contractor- Randy Henderson: current Ward 5 councilman; vice president, Corbin Henderson Company
- Jenna Persons: Fort Myers attorney
Ward 1
-

Team Sergeant
07-12-2009, 08:11
Busted.....:D

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090712/NEWS0110/907120370/1085/NEWS0110

Pete
07-12-2009, 09:17
I wonder what his story will be on his "early out"?

Kinda' interesting he served less than two years on what should have been at least a 3 year enlistment.

Maybe in his mind he's "special" so that makes him "special forces". Little s & f on purpose.

Being a student in the Q Course does not equate to "served in Special Forces".

That statement alone could even PO the hard working non-SF Cooks, Riggers, Drivers, MI, Commo Guys, etc working hard in real assignments in Special Forces units.

Richard
07-12-2009, 09:20
Let the word-waffling begin - this guy never answered my simple request asking where and when he 'served with SF' - I seriously doubt he'll answer anyone else's, either - at least truthfully. :mad:

Someone needs to see what his discharge certificate says - General Under Honorable Conditions or Other Than Honorable Conditions would speak volumes. ;)

Team Sergeant
07-12-2009, 09:46
This is my favorite Derrell Gardner quote:

"Mylast duty station was at the J.F.K Center at Ft. Bragg, N.C."

Kind of makes you think Derrell Gardner had more than one Special Forces assignemnt....

Whom ever wrote Derrell Gardner's bio did so with extreme "intent".

Derrell Gardner, it was not your last duty assignment, it was your only duty assignment while you were waiting to be "terminated" from active duty.

Show us your DD-214 and we'll clear this whole mess up for you.;)

Team Sergeant

Pete
07-12-2009, 10:16
So who will be first to register on PS.com?

Gardner with an explaination or his lawyer with threats?

Mr Gardner could just sign the Standard Form 180 for the newspaper and have his records released to them. Just like John - I served in VN - K. did.

Oh, wait - John just said he would - he never did sign the 180 that would explain his missing years.

Maybe if either signs on they can be jumped to the front of the posting line.

greenberetTFS
07-12-2009, 10:48
Busted.....:D

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090712/NEWS0110/907120370/1085/NEWS0110

TS,

Busted,Yes..... :rolleyes: But we don't know if he won that election yet,he didn't remove himself from it as far as I've read...........:mad:

Pete
07-12-2009, 11:00
TS,

Busted,Yes..... :rolleyes: But we don't know if he won that election yet,he didn't remove himself from it as far as I've read...........:mad:

It's Nov 3

"Qualifying Dates: Monday, July 6, 2009 12:00 Noon
Through Friday, July 10, 2009, 12:00 Noon

The primary election date is : Tuesday, September 15, 2009
The general election date is : Tuesday, November 3, 2009"

http://www.cityftmyers.com/Government/CityClerk/Information/2009Election/tabid/773/Default.aspx

Pete
07-12-2009, 13:26
vote2009 wrote

"One other thing, has another candidate running for mayor served their country in any capacity?
That is a very good question and the answer is Randy Henderson has never served his nation in uniform. Interesting a candidate who has never served two minutes in the military can now question the patriotism and military service of the veteran. How shameful!"

vote2009 is beating the drum for Gardner.

Ladies who read this I mean no disrespect - vote2009 is posting like a girl in love.

And vote2009 it ain't Mr Henderson who has a question about Mr Gardner's service it's us. When you see him ask him how he got an early out at 16 months. Ask him why his public service record shows no service with a Special Forces uint other than the Schools Battalion. Ask him why at release from active duty he was a PFC. I don't know of any one term SF guys who got out in the 80s getting out as a PFC. Guys who POed their Team Sergeants still got out as Corporals. Most got out as Sergeants.

I'd vote for an honest man over a liar anyday - then again they are all polititions. Oh, well, forget that.

Richard
07-12-2009, 14:40
FWIW - I gave them my $.02 on this guy after reading Vote 2009's comments. ;)

I was a Special Forces NCO and Officer, now retired, who is familiar with Fort Myers as my in-laws lived there for many years. I ran across the Derrell Gardner web-site a couple of weeks ago and, out of curiousity, sent him an e-mail asking what SF units he served in. I have seen Mr Gardner's FOIA service record which is posted on the PS.Com web-site. His actual record does not match the alluded to claims he makes in the bio on his web-site - which makes him untrustworthy in my book. The common term for such a person in our parlance is 'wannabe'. You may vote for whomever you wish because this is - after all - your community and America, but I would never vote for someone who makes such allusions to being or having done something he has not. MOO - and YMMV - but there are far too many of that ilk already in public office as it is, and I personally think Fort Myers deserves better leaders than someone of his character.

Richard :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
07-12-2009, 17:29
So who will be first to register on PS.com?

Gardner with an explaination or his lawyer with threats?

Bring it on, loser!

Dozer523
07-12-2009, 17:50
Bring it on, loser!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5puAN1PGQw
He won't know what hit him. :mad: Warren probably had guys like us in mind when he wrote this.:D

BoMcCormick
07-12-2009, 18:17
Here is the link to the article in todays Fort Myers Florida NewsPress:

http://search.news-press.com/sp?skin=100&aff=1101&keywords=Derrell+Gardner&pubDate=07%2F12%2F2009&author=

Looks like Mr. Gardner has more going on in his life besides being an
SF poser.

Mitch
07-12-2009, 19:15
Actually - we have now become part of their story! One thing is for sure - we are not being solicited by anyone to do anything.

From their "Comments" section in the news paper ( http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090712/NEWS0110/907120370&s=d&page=3#pluckcomments )we have:

tenctsmin wrote: (thier guy, not ours)

I must admit this story confuses and leaves one befuddled. Anyone interested can go to:http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=273232 this is a website devoted to keeping military personnel past and present, in contact, through fellowship. I don't know whether this organization picked up on Mr.Gardner's run for mayor, and seeing his military past, was considering supporting his candidacy. They are a very discerning group, and also very proud. I believe they either checked out the record of Mr. Gardner or were somehow solicited to help an investigative reporter. If you read the various entries on the website, you will clearly see, that PS wanted to interview (Mr. G) They knew this story was breaking today. If you violate a code of honor to PS you have a problem. These vets help raise money and are very involved in charitable activities. Whether there are any forms that must be completed by candidates that require full disclosure and perjury is a cause for removal?
7/12/2009 7:27:06 AM

A

Team Sergeant
07-13-2009, 08:44
Let me make one thing perfectly clear, ProfessionalSoldiers.com contacted the Ft Myers News-Press and Gabriella Souza concerning Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr Special Forces claims.

The way Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr wrote his bio on his website only a real Special Forces soldier would know Gardner was full of BS. I'm sure Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr was betting that his internet bio would not be read or questioned by a real "Green Beret".

As was said before, all this can be cleared up by Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr by simply producing his DD-214 to us or the Ft Myers News-Press.

We all know that ain't going to happen don't we Derrell....... Guess Derrell doesn't watch the "news", just type into a google search:

Atlantic city mayor Green Beret

Stupid is as stupid does.

Team Sergeant

Pete
07-13-2009, 09:42
Let's see. This dust up started last Thursday when the paper tried to ask Mr Gardner, his campaign and his lawyer some simple questions about his service.

It's Monday with no public reply from Mr Gardner, his campaign or his lawyer about his service.

I guess he figures this will all blow over - he can ride it out.

It was Ol' Frido who said "Bad news don't get better with age."

Richard
07-13-2009, 09:49
I just responded to these two points made by Vote2009:

What is the big deal about his military record? He served honorably...

You cannot say that he "served honorably" until you see his DD-214 or Discharge Certificate - and the fact he was discharged much sooner than a normal term of enlistment adds to the uncertainty among those of us who know of such things.

Let us all withhold judgment and not assume DG is lying about being in the Special Forces. Clearly from the article above he spent some time in the Special Forces.

Attending SF Training does not equate to having "spent some time in the Special Forces" - time in SF starts once you complete the training, are awarded an SF identifier, and are then assigned as an SF qualified soldier to an SF unit. Mr Gardner is well aware of this, and his skillful waffling of that fact in the wording he used for his web-site bio is an indication of his true character.

Is Vote2009 a relative of Mr Gardener? :confused:

Team Sergeant
07-13-2009, 10:04
If I had to guess I'm betting Derrell Gardner has been doing a lot of "explaining" over the weekend.

We only saw what he posted on his website, I wonder what he's been telling his friends and family for the last 20 years concerning his "Special Forces" career.

I wonder if he'll pull the "Atlantic City mayor" excuse and go into "rehab".

The Reaper
07-13-2009, 10:07
Is Vote2009 a relative of Mr Gardener? :confused:

Could be Mr. Gardner himself, for all we know.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-13-2009, 13:23
tenctsmin,

You seem to be reading both websites so I will entertain your questions here.

Yes, we knew about Derrell Gardner well before the Ft Myers News-Press news story and were in the process of ascertaining his Special Forces background. We were the ones that contacted the Ft Myers News-Press concerning Derrell Gardner's Special Forces claims. So no, there's no conspiracy story there.

In my opinion this story is over unless Derrell Gardner has something to say. The US military will only release so much information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Derrell Gardner knows the truth and we're fairly certain we do to as only a few factors will get an individual tossed out of the military before their military obligation is complete. (In this "age of transparency" it's amazing how many public figures choose to not allow access to their records.)

Unlike the Ft Myers News-Press comments section we do not allow just anyone to comment on Special Forces & Green Beret fakes, frauds, liars, imposters, phonies etc The individuals posting the comments on our board are all real Special Forces soldiers (Green Berets), Colonels, Lt Colonels, Majors, Command Sergeants Major, Master Sergeants, Sergeant First Class etc. retired and active duty. We have no issue with what Derrell Gardner's political views are, we are infuriated by the fact he is using our reputation for personal gain.

Derrell Gardner has been contacted for his side of the story and he has refused to answer. I have actually never heard of anyone referring a news reporter "to his attorney" when asked about their Special Forces background. I'm positive a real Special Forces soldier (aka "Green Beret") running for public office would be happy to allow a news reporter full access to their military record and or background.

While you cannot post on this specific thread feel free to ask us questions. We can be contacted at:
DEADDROP (at) ProfessionalSoldiers.com

Team Sergeant

Richard
07-13-2009, 16:31
This statement is on the bottom of his web-site - no blaming the IT guy or any campaign staff for any misunderstandings about how he wanted it to imply that he was SF. :mad:

Political advertisement paid for and approved by Derrell Gardner for Mayor, City of Fort Myers

BoMcCormick
07-13-2009, 16:58
Seems the supporters of Mr Garden think that everyone who is making negative statements about him is either a candidate for the office or working for someones political campaign.

I posted this in the Fort Myers NewPress blogs a few moments ago and I will follow through with my statement. Our club has a very high reputation in this county and the Southwest coast of Florida.
That icon you see to the left is on our backs when we ride and all the VFWs, AMERICAN LEGIONS, and
Veterans groups know who we are and what our club is about. We are a 501(c)(19) Veterans Orgainization and our primary purpose is to help our orphaned children, their families, our wounded and our disabled. If Mr Gardner thinks that he will get away with his "little lie" he will be sadly mistaken.

This is my post in the blog:

I am not a candidate for anything in the political area and I can see clear through Mr. Gardner.
I posted his military record.
NOTE..Mr Gardner was only able to reach the pay rating of E-3..PFC and in his website Bio he states very clearly that he served in the US Army and in Special Forces for 6 years. Sounds like a Beetle Baily to me for you old timers who recognize the cartoon. 6 years of service as a qualifed SF Tabber
would have netted him at least Sergeant's stripes or a Specialist 5th Class ranking and that would be if he didn't screw up and was just cruising through life and taking his promotions as they came with time in rank and service. This guy is a phony, wannabee, trying to be something he is wasn't and is not now nor every will be, ,yes and a liar, and if he were an honorable man he would withdraw from the race. If he chooses not to do so then I will personally make sure that every Veterans Organization in Lee County is aware of Mr. Gardner's lack of integrity!

7/13/2009 6:50:07 PM

Richard
07-13-2009, 17:04
If he chooses not to do so then I will personally make sure that every Veterans Organization in Lee County is aware of Mr. Gardner's lack of integrity!

KA - effin' - POW! :D

Pete
07-14-2009, 04:39
From the Opinion page of their paper.

"Self-inflicted political pain"

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090714/OPINION/907140322/1015/opinion

You would think that politicians would have learned by now not to make false academic or military claims in their campaigns.

They are too easy to detect, and look horrible when they are exposed.

Derrell Gardner, a candidate for Fort Myers mayor, claims to have been a Green Beret. But Army records indicate he did not complete Special Forces training.

If all the people who say they were Green Berets actually were, they'd be common as crows. But they aren't, and the fakery really angers the genuine ones.

Gardner also would have been wiser saying upfront that he had been convicted of battery in 2001 and given a year's probation in an ongoing dispute with his wife.

Claiming to be what you weren't and hoping people don't find out about a criminal record is a foolish strategy.

Former Cape Coral Councilman Mickey Rosado's downfall began with the exposure of a campaign lie that he had a bachelor's degree in management and marketing he didn't have. He was fined $500 under a state statute outlawing false academic claims.

After being suspended from the council in 2007, Rosado pleaded guilty to attempting to act as a real estate broker without a license.

Keith Richter, a candidate for House District 72, was embarrassed by the revelation that the master's degree he claimed was from a degree mill in England. His status as an adjunct faculty member at Hodges University was lowered to "teaching assistant."

In 2008 Richter was easily defeated in the Republican primary by incumbent Rep. Paige Kreegel.

Here's an easy rule to live by: Don't lie about your credentials.

SF_BHT
07-14-2009, 06:52
Update

To date none of my e-mails to the Mr Gardner or his campaign have been returned. I wonder if he is ever going to answer anyone or just hid and hope that this Possible Lie goes away.

I have tried calling the published number on his web site and no one answers.. OK I only tried 3 times but come on.....

Has any one else received any replies to their e-mails?:munchin

BoMcCormick
07-14-2009, 08:21
No hiding anymore...
I just put out a letter to all hands about Mr. Gardner.
This includes everyone on the club's mailing list plus every bike club in this area and also sent it out to a number of organizations and asked that they pass it on as well.

Mr. Gardner is just one of a majority of politicians who think they are above the law, the morals, standards and ethics of a nation that was based on
the natural laws of humanity. They have no respect for any of us or themselves.

It's about damn time that we start "Throwing out the Trash!" I'll start right here in Fort Myers.

I hope you gents don't mind if I copy and paste this to NewsPress' blog..
I will wait for comment before I do..

Team Sergeant
07-14-2009, 09:17
No hiding anymore...
I just put out a letter to all hands about Mr. Gardner.
This includes everyone on the club's mailing list plus every bike club in this area and also sent it out to a number of organizations and asked that they pass it on as well.

Mr. Gardner is just one of a majority of politicians who think they are above the law, the morals, standards and ethics of a nation that was based on
the natural laws of humanity. They have no respect for any of us or themselves.

It's about damn time that we start "Throwing out the Trash!" I'll start right here in Fort Myers.

I hope you gents don't mind if I copy and paste this to NewsPress' blog..
I will wait for comment before I do..

Bo you can copy and paste anything on this thread and send it to the world.;)

TS

Team Sergeant
07-14-2009, 09:21
Fort Myers councilman Leonardo wants those with a criminal record kept from public office

Posted 7/13/2009 11:46 AM EDT on news-press.com Prod
Fort Myers City Councilman Thomas Leonardo did not like what he read about mayoral candidate Derrell Gardner in a story published Sunday in The News-Press. He fired off this e-mail to the mayor, city council, clerk and attorney saying he will write an ordinance to change the city charter so that nobody with a criminal record can run for elected office.

Here is the complete e-mail:

To: Marie Adams; Grant Alley
Cc: Margaret Fineberg; Mayor and City Council
Sent: Sun Jul 12 08:44:20 2009
Subject: CITY OF FORT MYERS WARD 6 INQUIRY
Dear Mister City Attorney and Madam City Clerk,

I read with dismay this morning's N-P article, Page B1, of the criminal background check that the newspaper ran on Mayoral candidate Derrell Gardner. The background check uncovered the fact that Mr. Gardiner (sic) was convicted of battery in 2001. The newspaper also discovered other questionable statements in Mr. Gardiner's (sic) assertion that he was a Green Beret. Since the latter issue is one of personal veracity, and not subject to City Charter, it cannot legally concern us as City Council. However, the former issue of conviction for battery raises the issue as to whether or not such a conviction disqualifies Mr. Gardiner (sic) as a candidate for Mayor. Please look into this legality as soon as possible, and advise myself and other members of City Council as to what our Charter states.

If our City Charter currently allows any person to run for city elective office with any kind of criminal conviction, I will bring forth an ordinance to change our Charter so that no one that has been convicted of a crime can run for elected office in the City of Fort Myers.

Thank you.
TCL

PS to City Council members: Please do not reply to this email. I have cc'd you FYI only. Thank you. TCL

-- Ryan Lengerich

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c65c809d8afe42a8a4add0dad9628c62&plckPersonaPage=PersonaBlog&plckUserId=c65c809d8afe42a8a4add0dad9628c62

BoMcCormick
07-14-2009, 10:13
posted on the NewsPress watchblog site:

Thomas Leonardo:
Mr. Leonardo. Thanks for stepping up to the plate on the Gardner issue.
Although at this time Mr. Gardner has only had one conviction we are working to see if he can be prosecuted under the "Stolen Valor Act".
Claiming military service to this country that he did not have and can not substantiate maybe be punishable under Federal Law. We are going to pursue this and will keep the general public and especially our Veterans informed of the outcome.

Bo McCormick
National Treasurer/Founder
Special Forces Motorcycle Club, Inc.
A 501(c)(19) Veterans Organization
A Non-profit corporation
www.specialforcesmc.org
7/14/2009 12:10 PM EDT on news-press.com Prod

longrange1947
07-14-2009, 10:32
I sent an email to the individual when TS first published and held off after the journalist was called in. Still no answer to my email sometime ago. I have some patience but am wondering when he will clear this up for me. :munchin :D

BoMcCormick
07-14-2009, 12:22
I have talked to the local FBI investigator here in Fort Myers. She is checking to see if Mr. Gardner's false claims of military service can be prosecuted under the "Stolen Valor Act". She is to call me back. Anyone got any ties to the Regional Office?

Since I put out the last blog I have been getting a ton of email. Just to let you gentlemen know..it's all favorable..tell us to go get him. I also received a phone call from the News-Press' Ryan Lengerich and they are going to pursue the story further as well. If nothing else, we have made the world aware of posers and people like Derrell Gardner, Jr. I am going push for the City Councel to require proof of service for anyone who claims military service just like we do when someone applies for membership as veteran to our club or to the SFA. It is a shame that we can't assume that everyone is honest anymore.

Have a great day and be safe.
Bo

SF_BHT
07-14-2009, 12:41
Go Get them Bo......

Keep up the Good work.....

Still no reply to e-mails from them. I did get a call through and the secretary or who ever answered hung up after I told them what I wanted..... Sort of weird from my stand point. I would think an Honest Man would want this cleared up so he could move on in the election......:D:munchin

Next time I will record the call.....;)

BoMcCormick
07-14-2009, 15:04
Seems that the Stolen Valor Act does not include posers.
It only applies to people wearing unauthorized medals or awards, and selling and distributing phony medals and awards for profit.

They suggested that I contact the Supervisor of Elections.

Enigma0122
07-14-2009, 15:23
Bo, they have the old law prior to being revised and signed into law on 20, December 2006. The FBI/US attorney office in Louisville, said the same thing to me when approaching them about my case. I printed out the new revised version of "Stolen Valor" and presented it to them. Their statue book was not updated. The law now, is very liberal, in that, one only need to verbally or in writing violate the stolen valor act. You will have to re-indoctrinate them.

Enigma0122
07-14-2009, 15:30
If FBI will not follow through, try the Criminal Defense Investigators, with the Department of Defence. they have juristiction also to investigate "Stolen Valor".
Added bonus is, they are affilitated with the military and know the language.

Also, TS has posted the new law, revised"Stolen Valor 2005" as a sticky post at the top of this thread, "Hall of Shame Inductees". Go to Section 3b. False claims about receipt of Military decorations.

This is what the old statue is missing. Thus, the FBI's reply to you.

BoMcCormick
07-14-2009, 17:39
I read the revised edition and the only thing that might be even close to what
Mr. Gardner has claimed......if you call the SF Tab a Decoration and a man says he served in Special Forces...question..does that constitute him saying he received his Special Forces Tab.
WE didn't have an SF Tab back in the 60's and the only way you could tell a "Q" member of a unit was by the Full Flash on his Beret. and even that went away...and everyone,, support and qualified personel were wearing it. Would the Flash have been considered a decoration?

It is it all in the wording like Clinton..
"It depends on what the meaning of the word is ......is.."

I will pursue it none the less.. I want to see the man's DD Form 214 or DA Form 20 before I will be satisfied he was a qualified member of an SF Unit.
Thanks

Pete
07-14-2009, 17:47
...... I will pursue it none the less.. I want to see the man's DD Form 214 or DA Form 20 before I will be satisfied he was a qualified member of an SF Unit........

The key question "Mr Gardner, why were you released from active duty with only 16 months active duty time?"

Followed by "Mr Gardner, there was no 16 month enlistment option at the time of your service. Most early releases were for discipline problems or drugs. Did you fall under one of those two areas?"

Team Sergeant
07-14-2009, 17:49
I read the revised edition and the only thing that might be even close to what
Mr. Gardner has claimed......if you call the SF Tab a Decoration and a man says he served in Special Forces...question..does that constitute him saying he received his Special Forces Tab.
WE didn't have an SF Tab back in the 60's and the only way you could tell a "Q" member of a unit was by the Full Flash on his Beret. and even that went away...and everyone,, support and qualified personel were wearing it. Would the Flash have been considered a decoration?

It is it all in the wording like Clinton..
"It depends on what the meaning of the word is ......is.."

I will pursue it none the less.. I want to see the man's DD Form 214 or DA Form 20 before I will be satisfied he was a qualified member of an SF Unit.
Thanks

Bo,

It's a fact that Derrell Gardner never served a day in the Special Forces. There's no reason to argue with him, or anyone else. He would have actually been in my class, I don't remember him, then again he could have been one of those that quit in the first five minutes.

He's not going to show anyone his DD-214.

How many "Green Berets" do you know that are afraid to show their DD-214 to the public? :D

TS

Enigma0122
07-14-2009, 18:20
Well, Gardner states he was in special forces clearly. This is a clear reference to being special forces directly or indirectly. Remember, it states also verbal/written exspressions.

Its the responsibility of law enforcement to ask the hard questions and discern the meaning of information gathered. By the way, not by one source only (Gardner). All one would have to do is walk down the sidewalk both ways from his home and ask his neighbors, "Do you know what your neighbor did in the war?"

One would say," Hell, he was with the Special Forces with John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center, ( GROUP)". "But he told me not to ask him what he did, otherwise he would have to sever my head from my body and place both into a cryogenic capsule, unfreeze and reattach after the 30 year statue of limitation (secrecy act), had expired with a request of a surviving relative".

If I were to come up to you and introduce myself as having been in the Special Forces, you not knowing myself, you would infer (to the novice with little knowledge of all that is required to become SF) the majoritive, would believe myself to be an actual SF/Green Beret. Its not meant for those of us that are "QP's".

Gardner, due to his political ambitions/blindness, I truly believe, he thought no way anyone would question his military credentials. Obviously, thought the special forces were of legend past . All Green Berets are extinct due to the Ice Age.

I would point out to any agency willing to listen or read his responses (deafening/non-responsive) this would alert myself to become more curious/probing and follow-up done.

For Goodness sake, the mans running for public office. Hell, if by some chance he were to be elected and to seek higher office later, congress or senate.

As John Wayne would have stated, "Lets head them off at the Pass"!!

Yes, Bo you have my permission to post this if you like.

Enigma0122
07-14-2009, 18:40
Gardner can try and split hairs with his statement. Fellow "QP's" we all know his intent. The law was meant to protect the integrity, honor and valor of all. Past, present and future.

Gardner knows exactly what he was implying. He didn't say he was a clerk in the S-1 shop. A mechanic in the motor pool, he left it wth simply "Special Forces".

BoMcCormick
07-14-2009, 19:05
TS.. &... ENIGMA..
I keep bringing out how easy it would be for Gardner to proove his claims by producing his documentation to the general public. ...over and over again. You know he won't and I know he won't but I want the general public to ask him the question..
"Why won't you just produce the DD Form 214 if you are telling the truth?" Sooner of later somebody is going to say that to him and then it will have the desired effect. Then everyone will know the man is a liar. We already know it.
This is just like training ... reputition, reputition, and reputition..

It ain't over till it's over ... and that will be when he withdraws from the election and resigns his council seat. That is my goal. If I can't get him to withdraw at least I want to put enough doubt in everyone's mind about his integrity to not vote for him..

That's the name of that tune. He now knows who I am and that I am on to him and that I have allies in the theater. I'll just keep on keepin on.. sooner or later we will have a face to face...

Enigma0122
07-14-2009, 19:38
Well, there should be debates during the process. I would get in contact with one of the competitors and the sponsored news agency (coordinate). Make sure your question(s) is one that gets to Mr. Gardner. Hopefully, you being the one that ask the question(s).

If an open debate (public) bring along the veterens group and the SFMC. Who know's. If he (Gardner), or one of his advisors are reading this. They call this thing done. This is a time to advertise your punch.

The more attentiion all of us can bring to this issue the less likely Gardner will be able to avoid or hope this disappears.

To Mr. Gardner or any one of your advisers that are reading this. This can be settled by simply answering two questions by presenting a copy of your DD214 and Discharge. You have associated yourself with having been with the Special Forces in some capacity.

This is a situation you created Mr. Gardner by your own words/endorsement campaign website. Again your words. Not our imaginations. Its been six (6) days and you have failed to answer questions over your published (Political Office) phone number or returned emails sent to you by Qualified Special Forces individuals.

In short, Plausible Deniability for you means "Do not respond" after you have let out the secret in person and everyone now knows the source. It doesn't work that way. Your actions were overt not covert. I say this because you were in Special Forces. Your words.

Team Sergeant
07-15-2009, 07:50
TS.. &... ENIGMA..
I keep bringing out how easy it would be for Gardner to proove his claims by producing his documentation to the general public. ...over and over again. You know he won't and I know he won't but I want the general public to ask him the question..
"Why won't you just produce the DD Form 214 if you are telling the truth?" Sooner of later somebody is going to say that to him and then it will have the desired effect. Then everyone will know the man is a liar. We already know it.
This is just like training ... reputition, reputition, and reputition..

It ain't over till it's over ... and that will be when he withdraws from the election and resigns his council seat. That is my goal. If I can't get him to withdraw at least I want to put enough doubt in everyone's mind about his integrity to not vote for him..

That's the name of that tune. He now knows who I am and that I am on to him and that I have allies in the theater. I'll just keep on keepin on.. sooner or later we will have a face to face...

Derrell Gardner must be taking notes from Obama and John Kerry, two others that will NOT produce requested documents for public scrutiny.

Bo we've already got Derrell's "official" military record, and there's enough on there to know he's lying about his military service.

It's time you bring in the big guns and have the VFW and American Legion demand Derrell Gardner correct his military service statement's. I think if the citizens of Ft Myers hear it from enough veterans groups Gardner will not have a leg to stand on.

BoMcCormick
07-15-2009, 07:50
Gentlemen..
Since I was notified of Mr. Gardners website by one of our members of his claims, I became involved, and taken an active part in pursuing the truth, I have had numberous emails from local residence who have had dealings with him.
All have accused him of being a liar, a cheat, a thief, and not some one to be trusted. I have responded to each and every email and replied to each and every blog that has been directed to me or in some cases at me. I asked for permission to forward these letters to investigative reporters and/or local law enforcement for follow up, varification, and if applicable, criminal prosecution of suspected crimes. So far, NOT ONE has agreed to let this happen.

This has taken a tremendous amount of time and effort and frankly I have some other really important family matters that I need to concentrate on and deal with. If the citizens of Fort Myers do not have the balls to stand up and be counted then just may be they deserve just what they have. I feel the same way about our current government. The people of this country have let the worst of the worst take over and that was their choice. It is too bad that all of us have to deal with it but that's what happens when no one cares or takes the time to get involved.

I have to be out of town for sometime and won't be able to pursue this while I am gone. I have a mother that I just put into an Alzheimer's facility and have to deal with a sibling who has been stealing from her along with the disposal of her property.

I will pick up where I left off when I return.
I just wanted to make you aware of what is taking place on the front lines.

Enigma0122
07-15-2009, 08:05
Bo, your efforts from a local effort are sincerely appreciated. There appears to be enough interest from other sources in your area. The issue has been raised. His (Gardner) opponents will not let this go away. Gardner is now responsible for his words/claims.

His criminal record, including his claims of being in Special Forces will not be simply glossed over. Politics is a dirty business, no matter what level of government and the Piranas smell blood.

SF_BHT
07-15-2009, 08:23
Bo

Go and take care of Family. They are more important. Let us know if you need any help I am sure there are other Real SF guys in your neighborhood that can give you a hand if needed.

Richard
07-15-2009, 10:09
I agree - Gardner is toast - and if he's elected - well, I would then have to say that he and Fort Myers deserve each other. :(

BoMcCormick
07-16-2009, 05:59
It appears as though someone who goes under the username of
MMoore has a personnal bone to pick with me and has been taking information form this forum and my posts here and posting them in the News-Press blogs in regard to Mr. Gardner. MMoore has questioned my qualications and also is attempting to make the SFMC, INC. look like a bunch of hoodlums posting criminal records of myself and our president Vernon Brown. He fails to tell the public, however, that neither of the charges were ever prosecuted. If anyone know's who MMoore I would appreciate an introduction. MMoore you are taking the spot light off Mr. Gardner and trying to put it on me and our organization. So here you go MMoore..

FOR THE RECORD: I had several MOS' while I served in the military 16C, 76D, 76K, 12B, and 76Y.
Both of the later 2, 12B and 76Y had the suffix "S" at the end indicating Special Forces Qualified. I did not retire from the military and contary to a rumor around the communtiy I was not a Colonel and contrary to what has been written in these blogs here (Fort Myers News-Press) I was not a E8 Master Sgt, or above. I was a SGT E-5 when I was separated from the military. I have a Honorable Discharge hanging on the wall of my office dated March 15, 1971, a Certificate from the Special Forces Association and Life Time member of that organization, and a letter from the President of the United States of America for the Volunteer's Service Award. I also have numerous cerificates that qualify me for a number of things but by far of all the information that I have stated above, having that "S" at the end of my Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) is one that I am the most proud of.

As far as an assumption, that was yours. I have to assume that you were not in the military during the time that proficiency tests were given.

I also have to assume that you are trying to make the SFMC, INC. look bad.
In all fairness, you really should tell everyone that Vern Brown's charges were never prosecuted and neither were mine but I guess that doesn't fit into you plan. I don't know why but I would guess it is for some personal reasons.

That's too bad because the club does allot to help the Special Forces Warrior Foundation and some other charities like "Paws for Patriots" who provide service dogs for our blind and handicapped.

Well now you have my record.. check it out. I believe the SFA has a copy of my DA Form 20. You should find everything right there.

Now I will continue with taking care of my family business. Look for more from you when I return.
Have a great day,

Richard
07-16-2009, 06:25
These came from the WatchBlog from the News-Press:

Special Forces veteran questions whether Gardner violated federal law
Posted 7/14/2009 1:59 PM EDT on news-press.com Prod
A Fort Myers veteran has contacted the FBI about whether Fort Myers mayoral candidate Derrell Gardner violated a federal law against misrepresenting his military background.

Bo McCormick, 64, founder of the nonprofit Special Forces Motorcycle Club, Inc. in Fort Myers, said he requested the FBI research whether Gardner violated the Stolen Valor Act when he wrote on his Web site that he "... went into the U.S. Army for six years where I served in Special Forces."

News-Press background checks revealed Gardner received an Army Service Ribbon and a Parachutist Badge, but not a certificate of completion for the Special Forces course. His rank when he left was private first class.

“What is this guy thinking?" McCormick said. “Did he really think he would get away with this.”

The Stolen Valor Act is a federal law enacted in 2006 that makes it illegal to falsely claim any military decorations and medals. It's unclear whether the act extends to anyone misrepresenting military experience. McCormick said he believes it does, but expects to learn more from the FBI.

Stolen Valor Act cases are ongoing around the country and in Florida where late last month Gary B. Amster pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court in Tampa to charges that he knowingly and willfully falsely represented himself verbally and in writing to have received the Medal of Honor.

Gardner, 44, did not immediately return messages left on his cell phone today.

McCormick spent three years in Europe in the 1960s as a member of the Green Berets. The nonprofit he founded in 2005 raises awareness and money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

McCormick said his research shows Gardner misrepresented his military experience. He said the issue could be easily cleared up if Gardner provides his discharge papers, something McCormick does not expect Gardner to do.

“For a guy to say he served in Special Forces he damn sure better have done that," McCormick said.

Historian says Gardner could have violated Stolen Valor Act
Posted 7/15/2009 12:05 PM EDT on news-press.com Prod
The man who authored the Stolen Valor Act thinks it is possible Fort Myers mayoral candidate Derrell Gardner could be prosecuted under his act’s guidelines.

Military Historian Doug Sterner said because Gardner would have received a badge, or certification, for completing Army Special Forces training, he could be in violation of the bill.

“My thinking when I wrote the bill ... was because there was a badge associated it was covered,” Sterner said.

The Stolen Valor Act is a federal law enacted in 2006 that makes it illegal to falsely claim any military decorations and medals.

Bo McCormick, 64, founder of the nonprofit Special Forces Motorcycle Club, Inc. in Fort Myers, said he requested the FBI research whether Gardner violated the Stolen Valor Act when he wrote on his Web site that he "... went into the U.S. Army for six years where I served in Special Forces."

But Sterner said it is doubtful the FBI will pursue the case. It gets about 50 cases a week, he said, and what Gardner is claiming is not as extreme as other cases.

“On a scale,” he said, “this would not qualify as extremely egregious.”

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c65c809d8afe42a8a4add0dad9628c62&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=c65c809d8afe42a8a4add0dad9628c62&plckPostId=Blog%3ac65c809d8afe42a8a4add0dad9628c62 Post%3a8ae49c35-170b-4332-82e1-43994e40c9b0&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

I wonder what Mr Gardener thinks of it all. ;)

greenberetTFS
07-16-2009, 09:48
50 cases a week.........:mad: The FBI has to deal with that many Stolen Valor wannabe's............:rolleyes: I can't believe it,it's simply incredible that so many guys would live off of the "real veterans" who have earned what these POS are claiming... :( If any of you are reading this now,your a shame to our country...........Beware, we will find you.

Team Sergeant
07-16-2009, 09:55
These came from the WatchBlog from the News-Press:

I wonder what Mr Gardener thinks of it all. ;)

I would guess that he's wondering where "former" Atlantic City Mayor Robert Levy, aka Special Forces "Green Beret" fraud, is now working and how much he's making flipping burgers at the local greasy spoon. ;)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299945,00.html

Enigma0122
07-16-2009, 10:37
Well, if Mr. Gardner thought or was hoping this would go away. He's obviously wrong.

If these individuals, who try and question the integrity of one of ours (Bo), think this will accomplish that. I would have to say, they have no real knowledge of the special forces mentality.

Let them respond negatively, (Politics) is the name of the game.

Real men don't need others to speak for them. Again, the lack of any open communications from himself (Gardner) is deafening.

All you blowhorns for Gardner keep blowing. Your not doing him any good.

The opponents for the position of mayor, need to take a public stance and ask him to explain.

Enigma0122
07-16-2009, 11:01
Bo, MMoore is not taking the spotlight off of Gardner. to the contrary. It refocuses the issue back onto Gardner (the one running for office) Ft. Myers and the surrounding community is a heavy military retirement community. This will not bode well for him.

He will not quit, because he has the aspirations to be in politics. He will try again if unsuccessful. Just suggest he make a name change and make no references to military service in the future.

Sixteen months if active duty (minimum 24 months enlistment option. 36 months for SF minimum) what happened. Why out so early before completing your two (2) year (ACTIVE) service obligation.

If a hardship discharge, nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes individiduals are needed elsewhere ie. take care of a loved sick one.

But, to imply you served six years is misleading. You only completed 16 months of a 2 year enlistment. That means you were on IRR (Individual Ready Reserve status), for a period of 56 months. How many weekends did you drill in that 56 month status, (0) zero. How many times a year did you go to the range to qualify with you weapon (Oh!! you weren't assigned a weapon. (0). Hell, you weren't even assigned to a specific unit/organization.

You were waiting at home for the president to declare War and to activate the IRR because the standing active forces were not large enough to fight that hypothetical war.

I'll give credit for this. You were waiting for that call.

In other words, to the novice who may be reading this, Mr. Gardner most likely did not spend one (1) single day in uniform in the IRR.

Sixteen months and that was it. Look at your discharge. It will have the dates for your active service. Since you were active army. Not a reservist option.

Team Sergeant
07-17-2009, 10:22
The Special Forces Association weighs in. That's going to leave a mark. ;)
For all you civilians, the Special Forces Association is the "voice" of Special Forces (aka the Green Berets) outside of SF Command.

Care to make another "Special Forces" claim PFC Gardner?

Team Sergeant

Fort Myers mayoral hopeful's claim may violate law Record shows no Special Forces stint
By Gabriella Souza • gsouza@news-press.com • July 17, 2009

The man who authored the Stolen Valor Act said he believes it is possible Fort Myers mayoral candidate Derrell Gardner could be prosecuted under his law's guidelines.

On his Web site, Gardner claims he was in Special Forces. His military record gives no indication he completed Special Forces training, and former Special Forces soldiers say this shows he never served in the elite unit.

The Stolen Valor Act is a federal law enacted in 2006 that makes it illegal to falsely claim any military decorations and medals.

Military historian Doug Sterner said because Gardner would have received a decoration for completing Army Special Forces training he is in violation of the act.
"My thinking when I wrote the bill ... was because there was a badge associated (a situation such as this) was covered," Sterner said from his home in Pueblo, Colo.

Bo McCormick, 64, founder of the nonprofit Special Forces Motorcycle Club, Inc. in Fort Myers, has requested the FBI research whether Gardner violated the Stolen Valor Act.
Gardner could not be reached for comment Thursday.
His military record gives no indication he completed Special Forces training.

But Sterner said it is doubtful the FBI will pursue the case. It gets about 50 cases a week, he said, and what Gardner is claiming is not as extreme as other cases. Sterner himself only passes on to the FBI one out of every 15 cases he receives.
"On a scale," he said, "this would not qualify as extremely egregious."

Mel Smith disagrees. Smith, the executive director of the North Carolina-based Special Forces Association, said from his experience the FBI will investigate any claim regardless of how seriously the Stolen Valor Act was violated.
"If they're breaking the law, the (FBI is) going to go after them," he said.

Smith said usually when someone goes into Special Forces he has to guarantee he will be in the Army for one or two more years. Gardner's record shows he was released from active duty nine days after he left Special Forces training.
Plus, Smith said he has e-mailed Gardner several times asking him to explain his military background, but Gardner has not responded.
"His records don't match up," Smith said, "for what it takes to be in SF."
Gardner was found guilty of battery in 2001 against his wife at the time, Denise Gardner. Court records show the judge withheld adjudication of guilt, which means the case will not appear on Gardner's criminal record.
Gardner's fellow mayoral candidate Jenna Persons called in an e-mail for Gardner to produce his military record or admit his wrong.
Otherwise, she wrote, he should step out of the race.
"This city cannot focus on policy issues as long as Gardner's credibility is the main issue," Persons wrote. "Gardner cannot add anything to the policy debate unless he has first established credibility."

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009907170388

Team Sergeant
07-19-2009, 09:54
Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr. I see you posted your "military" discharge on your website.
http://derrellgardner.com/honor.html

(Forget about removing it as we now have a copy.)

You're just digging the hole deeper.

That "discharge" states you were in the Army about a "year" and got out as a PV2 ?????

Where's your "last" discharge Derrell ? You know the one that shows you spent six years in the Army?
(My guess, Private Gardner is "that" discharge does not say "Honorable" and you didn't want the people of Ft Myers to view it.)

You do know most of us on here have 20+ years in the Army, we know you're full of crap Derrell.

Do you really think the people of Ft Myers are that stupid?

Feel free to prove me wrong and produce your "last" discharge that we know you have, your DD-214 and orders assigning you to one of the "SPECIAL FORCES" Groups. There were only three active duty Special Forces Groups at the time you were in Private Gardner please tell us which one you "served" in for "six" years?

Private Derrell Gardner, you did not spend six years on active duty and you never served in Special Forces.

Keep digging buddy.

Team Sergeant

Team Sergeant
08-02-2009, 12:04
Private Derrell Gardner you are full of crap.

Your press release will fool the idiots but not us.

You never served in Special Forces, you know it and we know it.

I noticed you replaced your first "honorable" discharge with another. You must have noticed you made a huge error on the first one. (Too late we already have a copy of the former.)

I bet you've been doing a whole lot of "explaining" to your friends and family concerning your six years in "Special Forces".
http://derrellgardner.com/pressrelease.html

Derrell Gardner, you didn't respond to the Special Forces Association concerning your Special Forces claims, why?

You still have not responded to any direct questions concerning your Special Forces claims, why?

You spent only 16 months on active duty, why?

Team Sergeant

Team Sergeant
08-18-2009, 19:52
Hey Derrell Gardner!!!!!

Seems you made the "A" list!!! You are now featured on the largest military PHONIES and WANNABE'S website on the internet!!!

I'm sure the good people of Ft. Myers are proud......an indivudual has to go the extra mile to be added to the POW Network phonies list!

Great work buddy, I'm sure your family is also very proud of you.

Team Sergeant

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies1190.htm