PDA

View Full Version : PT - Bodyweight Only Training

NousDefionsDoc
06-17-2004, 21:22
I borrowed up a book called Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey from a friend. I thought it was interesting, so I started doing the exercises and I really like them.

Because I liked them, I did some research and bought "Pushing Yourself to Power" by John Peterson and "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel.

Anybody else doing anything like this?

Smokin Joe
06-17-2004, 22:45
Maybe what type of excercises are they?

stinney
06-18-2004, 03:30
Although I havent bought the book yet( The Naked Warrior), it is next on my list. I have been reading about Paval and Kettle bell training for a little over a year, and finally started doing the exercises a few months ago. I really like them. They are definitely different than "Western" techniques. Although I have lost 15-18 lbs of muscle , I feel stronger over-all, and my endurance has gone up.:lifter

The real proof for me that the Ballistic KB drills were working came last drill weekend, when on a bright and beautiful Sunday morning, the NQP Cadre as a team event, had us fill 6, 104mm Ammo crates w/ rope handles, full of sand and "Transport" them around Camp Blanding. With 14 personnel, the plan was to have 2 men carry each crate, for a specified time period, switching arms and rotating down the formation in such a fashion that 2 personnel would be resting at any given time.

For most of the other guys, this tuned out to be a very difficult event. After an hour or so, several had resorted to hooking their forearms into the ropes and other means of holding on to the crates. By the end of the 2nd hour, two of the younger guys could hardly function. Although I was tired, my grip and forearms never got exhausted. Surprisingly, I was the only one who did not rotate to rest. When my turn came to rest I rotated in to whoever seemed to be hurting the most. When the evilution was complete, I felt as if I had a lot left in the tank.

As I said, for me, that was a little proof positive that Paval's RKC exercises were working, and I intend to purchase the Naked Warrior to include into my routine soon. (Maybe I'll get it for Dads Day)

Also, if anybody's interested, for some good info and articles, drills etc. Check out
http://www.militaryfitness.org/

Stinney

The Reaper
06-18-2004, 07:07
Originally posted by stinney
Although I havent bought the book yet( The Naked Warrior), it is next on my list. I have been reading about Paval and Kettle bell training for a little over a year, and finally started doing the exercises a few months ago. I really like them. They are definitely different than "Western" techniques. Although I have lost 15-18 lbs of muscle , I feel stronger over-all, and my endurance has gone up.:lifter

The real proof for me that the Ballistic KB drills were working came last drill weekend, when on a bright and beautiful Sunday morning, the NQP Cadre as a team event, had us fill 6, 104mm Ammo crates w/ rope handles, full of sand and "Transport" them around Camp Blanding. With 14 personnel, the plan was to have 2 men carry each crate, for a specified time period, switching arms and rotating down the formation in such a fashion that 2 personnel would be resting at any given time.

For most of the other guys, this tuned out to be a very difficult event. After an hour or so, several had resorted to hooking their forearms into the ropes and other means of holding on to the crates. By the end of the 2nd hour, two of the younger guys could hardly function. Although I was tired, my grip and forearms never got exhausted. Surprisingly, I was the only one who did not rotate to rest. When my turn came to rest I rotated in to whoever seemed to be hurting the most. When the evilution was complete, I felt as if I had a lot left in the tank.

As I said, for me, that was a little proof positive that Paval's RKC exercises were working, and I intend to purchase the Naked Warrior to include into my routine soon. (Maybe I'll get it for Dads Day)

Also, if anybody's interested, for some good info and articles, drills etc. Check out
http://www.militaryfitness.org/

Stinney

Stinney:

I would hope you would do well, as a squid, you should have forearms like Popeye!

Actually, the crates were probably 105mm, not 104mm, as there is no such caliber. Attention to detail, since you had plenty of time to examine the crates.

Good move staying in and helping out the guys who were hurting. That will help you in the SFQC and says something about you as a prospective SF soldier.

Well done.

TR

mffjm8509
06-18-2004, 08:28
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I borrowed up a book called Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey from a friend. I thought it was interesting, so I started doing the exercises and I really like them.

Because I liked them, I did some research and bought "Pushing Yourself to Power" by John Peterson and "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel.

Anybody else doing anything like this?

I and most of the guys on my team (inadvertantly at first) are using the exercises in Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning daily.

I origionally started the program while deployed and in school with limited gym facilities to use. When I took over an A-team it just seemed natural to use several of these exercises and routines to supplement the PT program, and add variety to the standard Army calasthenic exercises.

For those of you who havent used them, these exercises, when performed correctly, will CRUSH you! I've liftd weights my whole life, and maintain above average strength in the big 3 lifts compared to most guys I've worked with, but this type of PT changed the way I train. When I started I could Bench close to 400# but couldnt complete 25 of Matts "hindu pushups".

I've got one of my guys reviewing Pavels new book to see how we can use that as well.

mp

mffjm8509
06-18-2004, 08:46
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
Maybe what type of excercises are they?

They are variations of calesthenics Matt has putt together from various styles of training, ie wrestling & martial arts training.

The "hindu pushup" sometimes called the "divebomber pushup" is the one I spoke of. It is performed by starting in what we normally would consider the pushup rest position with you butt high in the air. You lower your body in line from your head toward your hands then push through your arms, extend up all the way until your back is arched and your belly is pointed to the ground.......then you return your body along the same line.....

The "hindu squat" is a variation of a simple deep squatting exercise, with breathing emphasised to increase your heart rate. You start in a standing position, lower your body deeper than a normal squat, while breathing in and then explode upward thrusting your arms out in front of you while exhaling, then return to the start position. Matt insists that a guy who is in shape can do 500 of these without a break.

He also uses the standard neck bridge that wrestlers use, starting with however long you can hold it, then increasing the time and adding motion to the neck back-forward-left-right to increase neck and ab strength.

These are what he refers to as the "Royal Court" and the base exercises the book starts with.

mp

stinney
06-18-2004, 09:08
Originally posted by The Reaper
Stinney:

I would hope you would do well, as a squid, you should have forearms like Popeye!

Actually that's from being married for 14 years...

And Thank you.

Stinney

Smokin Joe
06-18-2004, 09:34
Originally posted by mffjm8509
They are variations of calesthenics Matt has putt together from various styles of training, ie wrestling & martial arts training.

The "hindu pushup" sometimes called the "divebomber pushup" is the one I spoke of. It is performed by starting in what we normally would consider the pushup rest position with you butt high in the air. You lower your body in line from your head toward your hands then push through your arms, extend up all the way until your back is arched and your belly is pointed to the ground.......then you return your body along the same line.....

The "hindu squat" is a variation of a simple deep squatting exercise, with breathing emphasised to increase your heart rate. You start in a standing position, lower your body deeper than a normal squat, while breathing in and then explode upward thrusting your arms out in front of you while exhaling, then return to the start position. Matt insists that a guy who is in shape can do 500 of these without a break.

He also uses the standard neck bridge that wrestlers use, starting with however long you can hold it, then increasing the time and adding motion to the neck back-forward-left-right to increase neck and ab strength.

These are what he refers to as the "Royal Court" and the base exercises the book starts with.

mp

Thank you Sir,

I have done the "Hindu Push-up" but its been awhile. Looks like I need to find this book. Google here I come.

Razor
06-18-2004, 09:49
The 'new' PT manual the Physical Fitness School was creating (but to date hasn't been accepted and released) emphasizes functional fitness, and contains several good dumbell drills, balance exercises, grass drills and core exercises. The APRT they devised is interesting, but requires equipment that may not be available everywhere.

I think doing IMT fully kitted up makes for a pretty good smoke session, too. To add some realism, make it similar to the EIB IMT lane and add MILES snipers; do it as a split team with the losing split buying the winners their beverage of choice.

NousDefionsDoc
06-18-2004, 10:49
If you're going to try it, I would get "Pushing Yourself to Power" by John Peterson over Combat Conditioning. Its got the same stuff pretty much, but the illustrations and explanations are better. Peterson calls everything "Fury" instead of "Hindu" 'cause Fury trained him.

I like this stuff because I'm an old dude and its easier on your joints. MFF is right, if you follow the directions to the letter, it will smoke you and it doesn't take long.

Razor, I hear ya. A PT test that requires equipment will give slackers an out.

I liked certification (the hard ones) for testing the mettle, except for the PT test. Didn't take a whole lot of support - one Team could do another - but it really wrung us out. Especially in Panama. You ruck all night on a land nav then qualify on the range, you're doing some testing. Of course they politicized it to the point where it became a pain in the ass to even think about. Good training if done correctly.

Smokin Joe
06-18-2004, 13:39
If you're going to try it, I would get "Pushing Yourself to Power" by John Peterson over Combat Conditioning. Its got the same stuff pretty much, but the illustrations and explanations are better. Peterson calls everything "Fury" instead of "Hindu" 'cause Fury trained him.

I like this stuff because I'm an old dude and its easier on your joints. MFF is right, if you follow the directions to the letter, it will smoke you and it doesn't take long.

Razor, I hear ya. A PT test that requires equipment will give slackers an out.

I liked certification (the hard ones) for testing the mettle, except for the PT test. Didn't take a whole lot of support - one Team could do another - but it really wrung us out. Especially in Panama. You ruck all night on a land nav then qualify on the range, you're doing some testing. Of course they politicized it to the point where it became a pain in the ass to even think about. Good training if done correctly.

Damn I wish I read this earlier. I just ordered this The Naked Warrior (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0938045555/qid=1087587311/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-1279074-1015810)

Oh well if I get confused or frustrated I will order Peterson's book. Thank you NDD for the tip they look like good no BS excersises.

Do you think it is along the same lines as Applegate and Fairbain?

ie:
What Applegate and Fairbain are to Marital Arts/ Self Defense
The Naked Warrior is to Working out?

NousDefionsDoc
06-18-2004, 14:59
I don't think so. I don't care as much for The Naked Warrior. Basically, this stuff is nothing new. Soldiers, wrestlers, gymnasts, etc., have been doing it for years. Its just an organization of the matieral and some variations. No revolution in physical training here.

I was doing Chris Caracci's workout, but it takes too long. Its a good workout. I've heard Stew Smith and the others are good as well.

Calesthenics are where its at IMO. The gym is great for relieving stress and getting ready for the beach, but the Cals will get you into fighting shape.

I used to work out following the boxing team on Bragg at the old cym up at 18th Leg Corps. MAN, those guys did some Cals.

NousDefionsDoc
06-18-2004, 15:00
I don't think so. I don't care as much for The Naked Warrior.

That didn't come out exactly right, did it? LOL

Solid
06-18-2004, 16:34
:D

What's the best book for Calesthenics in your opinion, NDD?

Have a good evening,

Solid

The Reaper
06-18-2004, 16:50
Originally posted by Solid

Have a good evening,

Solid

A very heavy one.

TR

BMT (RIP)
06-18-2004, 16:50
I have read all the replys and I am totally smoked!!!

:munchin

BMT
Jr. FOG

NousDefionsDoc
06-18-2004, 16:52
Originally posted by The Reaper
A very heavy one.

TR

Roger that. I prefer the World Book Encyclopedia or Ambush Master's Big Book of Warning Shots to the Temple Volumes 1-5.

Solid
06-19-2004, 03:32
Classic.

But seriously...

NousDefionsDoc
06-19-2004, 07:10
Never had a book, other than the AR.

hoepoe
06-19-2004, 12:43
Good day Gents

Tarining with only bodyweight, i'm all for it, fittest i've ever been.

I've read conflicting reports about Matt Fureys book. (Never read the book)

Have a great weekend,and for those of you that fit the category, happy fathers day.

Hoepoe

mffjm8509
06-19-2004, 16:27
Originally posted by Solid

Have a good evening,

Solid

I've only got Fureys book right now........according to NDD Pavels is more of the same.

I'd just pick one and stick with it, like anything else, a book cant get you in shape, or motivate you to get outside and train......thats on you.

For the longest time when we didnt have a place to lift weights, we did 10 sets of 25 pushups, 10x25 situps, and 10x 5-10 pull ups.....and that did the trick in a fix.

mp

Solid
06-19-2004, 18:03
For some reason I was never into weight training with the exception of the ones that fit in the back of the ruck. I'm reaching the point now where to exhaust my muscles normal press-ups and sit-ups are running at very high reps, so I was looking for new non-weight training which could give me some new moves to work with.

And then Bam! NDD started this thread.

Luck.

Solid

(obligatory: :lifter )

NousDefionsDoc
06-19-2004, 19:54
I've read conflicting reports about Matt Fureys book. (Never read the book)

Its not at all a bad book. Peterson just has better pictures is all. Very important for the 18Bs on the Team. :D

Of the three, I like Pavel the least.

NousDefionsDoc
07-03-2004, 17:21
None of them really advocate running - although Furey says to run 100 meter sprints up hills and walk back down. And Peterson recommends walks at speed. Any opinions?

hoepoe
07-03-2004, 23:39
None of them really advocate running - although Furey says to run 100 meter sprints up hills and walk back down. And Peterson recommends walks at speed. Any opinions?

Good morning, Happy 4th of July!

I am a firm believer that the condition of ones health/fitness internally far outweighs the external appearence
Run, always run, or another form of CV is more important, health and fitness wise than the muscle/strength building.

Running will slow down and limit the building of muscle mass but is an inseparable part of fitness training.

Remember, the heart is probably the single most important muscle we have (ok, second in importance lol)

Training with calesthetics/own weight etc. has limitations anyway so huge Lee Haney type physiques you're not going to get anyway, in other words, the benefits of runing far outweigh the disadvantages.

Personally, i used to love endurance runs, slow and long, alternating days with shorter and faster, always preceeding a calesthetics type workout. The calesthetics workout is also good for fitness, i superset everything, resting after superset only, ie:
1 set Pushups/1 set pullups,1 minute rest etc.

I am not in any way qualified in fitness relates fields, just been training a few years.

Hoepoe

Brother Rat
07-04-2004, 00:09
Here are a few articles that I've found helpful:

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode2&topic=Workouts

Happy 4th, all.

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 08:24
Yeah, that's a good site BR.

Hoe, they do CV in the form of Hindu squats - high volume. Beat your boots with a rowing movement added in.

hoepoe
07-04-2004, 09:01
Thanks for claifying NDD, still ain't running though. Guess i'm "old fashioned"

Hoepoe

mffjm8509
07-04-2004, 09:07

This doesnt seem like a good workout on paper but once you try it you'll be a beliver.

We use a variation of this developed by the a steeplechase coach at the USOTC here in colorado springs. Extend the distance to 200 meters and do a minimum of 8 sprints totalling a mile. We do a couple of warmup jogs up the hill first to get loose, then do our 8 sprints. The pace is about 70% of what you would normally "sprint" and what the coach told me was to run at a pace that is quick, but if someone behind you reached out to grab you, you could stll accellerate away from them.

Finish this up with some cals out of the Furey book.

mp

NousDefionsDoc
07-04-2004, 09:11
Originally posted by hoepoe
Thanks for claifying NDD, still ain't running though. Guess i'm "old fashioned"

Hoepoe

LOL - wait 'till you're just "old".

larfive
07-07-2004, 12:21
NDD,
Roger. I am doing exercises with body weight alone. I used to be your typical muscle bound ripped from hell type of guy living in the gym and taking supplements to keep my size and wanna be good looks.

That all came to a screamig halt on the day I went to RIP and I didnt have the endurance to keep up on daily events. If it didnt involved running or any aerobic exercise I was fine. But once we ran it was a very painful effort to keep up.

After a serious wake up call by the evil christian himself Jeff Struecker, I decided that ENDURANCE is the only way to be the best in this line of work.

Here is a sample of my daily workout:

Mon-Fri Rope climb, 5mile swim 30miles a week
Tue-Thur 20-35mile bike ride, 500 Pushups,200 Abs, 50pull-ups
Wed and Fri 5(xcountry) and 8(road) mile road march
Mon,Wed,Fri M3,W5,F7 mile runs
Sat rest
Sun Very light work outs

Keep in mind it took some time to come to this level. Little baby steps is what Ive learned to get to where I am now. Im now 165, 10% body fat, and I have strength AND ENDURANCE. I feel a hell of alot better than I did at 180 muscle bound.

My strength comes from climbing the rope with a 18pound weight belt(pre-scuba sadistic training...thank you V Allen)
and concentrated pull-ups nice and slow. Pushups are done with perfect form for time not repettion. Someone once asked me how many pushups and situps can I do in 2min, my answer was I never knew because I always did them for time.

Running trails also has its advantages with BDUs. You are carrying about 8-10lbs in addition to your own body weight which makes you work that much harder. Ive seen the difference when I run chicken road, or plank in just my black nylons. Hauling ass because Im so use to running in BDUs.

Overall, since I have given up the gym I have found exercising with my body weight alone has increased my strength, endurance, and most importanly my overall health.
LarV

Razor
07-07-2004, 14:57
LarV, do you run in your boots, or in running shoes?

larfive
07-08-2004, 06:33
Razor,
I do both. For my short distance runs I will do them in modified jungle boots. I dont recommend running long distances in boots because of the way the feet is positioned in the boot. When going cross country in boots the terrain is ever changing leaving your feet to only be in one position the entire time. This will result in injury. That is why when I run in boots its at a slow pace8-9min mile and short.

What I would recommend if you want to run in boots stay on the sand it possible like "Pineland" and if you could get some Rockies 911 those are what I have and they work great. I have all the advantages of both worlds boots and tennis shoes, and lest likely of an injury to my ankles knees, and lower back. If you want to wear boots go for the jungles with ripple soles. Just realized that your a BTDT, you already know more about the boot than I do, hell come to think of it, you have more time in boots, than I have in service:D

Just Kidding Razor, but you do know more about the boots than I do.

LarV

Razor
07-08-2004, 09:52
Don't count on it; you'd be surprised at how much I still have to learn about a whole list of things. ;)

I was asking about the running in boots thing because I see lots of older guys at the VA hospital with pretty severe knee and back problems, which the docs attribute to lots of running in boots with no real insole. Sounds like you have a thought-out system in place already.

NousDefionsDoc
09-22-2004, 20:52
This was a damn good thread huh? I'm thinking about getting me some of dem kettle bells made locally. Shipping would make buying them in the US cost prohibitive.

mffjm8509
09-22-2004, 22:09
Let us know how much they end up running you if you do have them made.

Youre right, the shipping alone will bankrupt you.

I've done several of the exercises using dumbells, but its not quite the same thing.

mp

NousDefionsDoc
09-26-2004, 22:38
Website (http://www.trainforstrength.com/index.shtml)

More workouts

vampire03
09-27-2004, 10:47
www.workingclassfitness.com

This site has some pretty interesting workouts using B.W. and sandbags.

TRUST
09-27-2004, 23:15
This was a damn good thread huh?
This has been an excellent thread! I have Peterson's book on order. THANKS to all who contributed.

TRUST

JaY
09-29-2004, 19:05
After reading this thread I also bought Peterson's book. I'm impressed with it, a very good book overall and the exercises are challenging, it definitely helped spice up my boring pt routine.

LEStudent
10-27-2004, 11:37
Furey's approach looks interesting; it definitely seems like something I'd like to try. I'm the typical big guy; lots of power, not a lot of endurance. Have any of you tried Furey's weight loss program? If so, did it work as quickly and as well as he claims?

NousDefionsDoc
10-28-2004, 00:07
I've been doing Peterson's warm up, Furey's squats, PUs and bridging, Petersons abs and Pavels chins and dips. Sounds like a lot, but its really not. I do them in sets and am building both reps and sets slowly (hey! I'm old). Doing them like circuit training (except for the warm up). Takes about 45 minutes without any running/rucking. Didn't have to buy any equipment. I use the swing set in the playground for the chins. I'll say this already, since I started the bridging, my back feels a lot better.

I've been reading Naked Warrior again - I was wrong about it. Those pistols will kick your ass. I'm doing them on a box until I can do them right, but damn!

I'm dying to try those kettlebells. And I want the ab thing from Pavel as well. I tried to do a Janda situp - hard, very hard. Even without any weight.

These guys really seem to be on the right track to me.

I also saw this that looked interesting:

Combat Yoga (http://www.defendgear.com/store/videos/yoga-martial-arts.htm)

I don't know about you guys, but if I had it all to do over again, I would work a lot more on flexibility.

LEStudent - if you think you've got a lot of power, try Naked Warrior and let us know how it goes. LOL Even with a bad back, I can bench 215 for reps - but those one armed PUs are a bear.

I haven't tried Furey's weight loss, but you do enough of any of these guy's stuff and watch your intake a little, I think you'll lose just fine.

NousDefionsDoc
11-01-2004, 22:46
Found another one.

http://www.warriorforce.com/warriorfitness.html

stanley_white
11-02-2004, 18:30
I've been reading Naked Warrior again - I was wrong about it. Those pistols will kick your ass. I'm doing them on a box until I can do them right, but damn!

I'm dying to try those kettlebells. And I want the ab thing from Pavel as well. I tried to do a Janda situp - hard, very hard. Even without any weight.

I have a copy of "The Naked Warrior" and a Kettlebell with the DVD and book. I REALLY enjoy the Kettlebell. I was turned on to it by a friend of mine in the Secret Service and he wasn't lying about the quality and intensity of the workout you get.

My weekly workouts consist of a combination of push-ups / pull-ups / dips / Kettlebells for my upper body. This system of fitness has been working quite well for me.

NousDefionsDoc
11-02-2004, 20:17
For AD, I think the KBs would be a great thing for deployments. I used to get sick of lugging Big Heads weights and benches and all that shit around. Not sick enough not to do it, but it was a pain. The KBs look perfect for these situations.

sandytroop
11-30-2004, 08:45
I got a set of Power Blocks and they are great tools. very compact, lots of weight, and not that much more than k-bells. I also just started doing the work outs on www.crossfit.com and what a band of mutants those people are. It amazes me how smoked out you can get just pushing your body weight around!

jatx
11-30-2004, 14:28
Kettlestacks are adjustable Kettlebells that use normal 5-10 lbs. plates. I've been using these for about a month, and some of you might like them. Especially if you are space constrained, don't have the ability to transport multiple sets with you, or if you're training with buddies that prefer different weights. I purchased them so that I wouldn't need to buy new sets as I get stronger.

Here's the link: http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4

The Reaper
11-30-2004, 14:43
Kettlestacks are adjustable Kettlebells that use normal 5-10 lbs. plates. I've been using these for about a month, and some of you might like them. Especially if you are space constrained, don't have the ability to transport multiple sets with you, or if you're training with buddies that prefer different weights. I purchased them so that I wouldn't need to buy new sets as I get stronger.

Here's the link: http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4

Looks like da bomb!

See NDD, I told you some of these guys had potential.

TR

cmedwin
12-12-2004, 21:19
fyi,
$65 & up (depending on the options).
Thanks,
Clay

ghostinashell
04-18-2005, 16:04
I've been using combat conditioning for a couple of months and I feel much stronger then I was with weight training. It is a pretty incredible program of body weight cals. I recently started using a couple of products from a company called lifeline, one is called power pushup 2 and the other is called the chest expander. Basically they are rubber tubing with handles but they offer a good deal of resistance and I can feel my stabilizer muscles, especially my shoulders, becoming stronger after only using them for a couple of weeks. they have been a good addition to the body weight exercises.

REMFlt
04-19-2005, 07:52
here's a review of the kettlestacks from some knowledgeable people http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=5340D50A09FC7EBD8E20D464E7 BDB300.titan?id=472066 (I apologize for the long html)
another viable option that is cheaper than kettlebells are the loadable ones made by detroit barbell. I can't vouch for these because I haven't used them. Also an interesting site for fitness is www.milfitmag.com, its run by nathanael morrison, and a few other people involved in military and LE training.

booker
04-19-2005, 07:55
If you don't want to dish out the cash for a kettlebell, maybe take a look at this, it is a homemade version http://milfit.com/homemadekb.htm

You can get most of the materials at the local hardware shop.

jatx
04-19-2005, 09:48
If you don't want to dish out the cash for a kettlebell, maybe take a look at this, it is a homemade version http://milfit.com/homemadekb.htm

You can get most of the materials at the local hardware shop.

The correct link is:

http://milfit.com/homemadekb.html

Wannakuba
05-09-2005, 10:27
I've been using this for many months now. I use the "Royal Court" as a great warm-up with some side-straddle-hops before doing push-ups, sit-ups, etc., etc. I've especially noticed the increased strength in carrying my ruck from doing the back-bridges.

Charlie765
05-24-2005, 10:47
I have Furey's book and most of Pavel's, and have learned a lot from all.

"Combat Conditioning" is a lot like SCUBA Team PT was when I was on a team, with some wrestling conditioning drills thrown in. It's basically high-rep calisthenics designed for endurance. The bridging exercises have been especially helpful for my back and neck pain. Just be careful when you first start doing them. Some believe them to be potentially harmful, but I haven't had any problems.

Pavel's "Naked Warrior" has an entirely different focus. It's primarily about building strength with bodyweight exercises and focuses exclusively on two; one arm pushups and one leg squats. Most of us have done one arm pushups at some point but have you ever tried it with one arm and one leg? It's interesting, so say the least. There's a strong balance component involved. I haven't managed one yet, but I'm working on it.

I have Pavel's "Power to the People" which is about pure strength building using two exercises; the deadlift and the side press. The principles and techniques taught can be used for any lifts but these are the one's the author likes for this routine.

I also have his "Russian Kettlebell Challenge" which is about strength and endurance using kettlebells. Can't speak to the effectiveness of K-bells since I've never even touched one, but the exercises work just as good with dumbbells. I've made a lot of progress with some of the exercises in this book.

I haven't seen it but I've heard very good reviews on a book put out by Ross Enaimit. He's a boxing coach. You can get more info from www.rossboxing.com.

krader
05-24-2005, 21:43
For what little my opinion is worth, I bought Ross's Ultimate Training for the Ultimate Warrior book a few months back and have loved it. It contains a ton of different workout ideas with a bunch of very intense sample workouts. This guy knows how to bring suffering to those who take it on. This book is his sandbag lifting book, but also has alot of bodyweight PT, sledgehammer swinging and sled dragging work just to make life interesting. He is a boxing coach so there are some workouts that have that flavor, but I think his workouts would be good no matter what your goal. He also has running advice and running workouts in his book. Overall after having Pavel's PTP and Kettlebell book, having read the naked warrior, and owning Furey's book, I would say this book makes all the others obsolete. Lifting a sandbag is tough work, and they are cheap to make which is nice. The other book I hear great things about is Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness, all bodyweight PT in this one from what I hear, but I have never heard a negative word spoken about it. Here are some links for you all.

Sandbag Construction
http://www.warriorforce.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

workout footage
http://www.warriorforce.com/rossboxingvideoclip.wmv
http://www.warriorforce.com/workcapacity101.wmv

krader

NousDefionsDoc
05-24-2005, 21:54
I made a sandbag out of an old duffle bag and some smaller bags inside. I've started using it a little. and I like it. That Ross guy has some good workouts on his site and it's mostly free.

BTW, your opinion is worth as much as anybody elses on here as long as you aren't talking out your ass.

Thanks for the links.

skipjack
05-24-2005, 22:37
This is a great thread! I'm going to have to check out some of these books and websites over the next couple of days. But, I have to agree with sandytroop, Crossfit is awesome. I started doing it last week at Rainier CrossFit, up here outside Ft. Lewis, and I already feel like I'm making improvements. It's great!

-skipjack

NousDefionsDoc
06-03-2005, 21:14
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/onearmpull.mpg

Tubbs
06-20-2005, 21:40
I have been doing Furey's Combat conditioning for about four months now. When I read this post about a month ago I went out and bought Peterson's book "Pushing yourself to power". I feel that it is better than Furey's book, but if you use Petersons book, along with Furey's Royal Court and his Combat Abs book you will get an incredible workout. I have managed to recover from a serious back injury by doing these exercises.

The Dave
06-21-2005, 15:07
Maybe this was posted already, but I am too lazy to read this whole thread

Why not? Its a great thread. Prompted me to alter the way I was training. Theres a couple of books listed in there that are worth checking out IMO.

The Reaper
06-22-2005, 11:27
BS2004:

Those are good exercises, and can improve your performance somewhat, but the only one the Army really cares about is doing good, correct two-count push-ups for the APFT.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
08-31-2005, 21:23
So, this is what I am doing right now:

Superjoints for warm up
Cherry pickers
Side Twister Stretcher
Run a lap
Burpees
Run a lap
Hindu Squats
Run a lap
Hindu push ups
Run a lap
Bridge
Run a lap
Flutter kicks
Run a lap
V-ups
Run a lap
Hello Darlin's
Run a lap
Crunches

Pullups

About 3 times a week in the afternoon
Dumbell thrusters - kind of a front squat with a military press at the top
Throw sand bag, pick up and throw - about 25 meters
Dive bombers
Throw sand bag back
Dumbells thrusters

This is one rep, I try for 3-4 trips
Skip rope alternate with hit the heavy bag.
3-4 sets

Hang off the bar

Die in place

Smokin Joe
09-01-2005, 01:12
ap

Throw sand bag, pick up and throw - about 25 meters

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but are you throwing a sand bag (in one toss) 25 meters? If so DAAAAMN :lifter

Die in place

No shit. Beatiful work out NDD.

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2005, 20:44
You read it wrong. It takes me about 4 throws, sometimes 5, to get it the 25 meters.

Ambush Master
09-01-2005, 20:56
You read it wrong. It takes me about 4 throws, sometimes 5, to get it the 25 meters.

:( I WAS impressed !!!! :munchin :D

NousDefionsDoc
09-02-2005, 16:44
LOL - Joe Montana couldn't throw my sandbag 25 meters in one whack.

Kyobanim
09-02-2005, 17:48
LOL - Joe Montana couldn't throw my sandbag 25 meters in one whack.

Okay, okay. I don't think anyone here wants to hear you brag about your "sandbag". (btw, that's a funny name for it)

Smokin Joe
09-02-2005, 19:44

I'm still impressed.

Damn good work out. I need to get Furey's book so I can learn all the workout techniques.

NousDefionsDoc
09-02-2005, 19:53
http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

Smokin Joe
09-02-2005, 22:09
http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm
Oh you DA Man!

Thanks NDD!

krader
09-02-2005, 22:59
NDD, Great workout I do one like it with a buddy of mine. We take the exersizes from the USMC Daily 16, do a set of say pushups, run a lap, lunges, run a lap, burpees run a lap, etc. What sort of reps are you doing for your exersizes a standard 50 a peice or mix it up based on exersize or how you feel? Cool to see the sandbag in there I need to use mine alot more. I also recently filled some little kids plastic baseball bats with sand, kind of a clubbell thing. Only cost a few bucks but alot of fun.

Take Care

Krader

NousDefionsDoc
09-02-2005, 23:03
I mostly go by how I feel. Time can get to be a factor as well. I am apparently much slower at everything I do now.

GnP
09-14-2005, 10:30
Here is a decent website for reference. They do a good job blending endurance with power, bodyweight relative strength with absolute strength.

www.crossfit.com

ender
10-09-2005, 13:28
I've been messing around with hindu pushups, squats, and back bridges. And I'm curious if anyone has come across any videos online. So I can check my form. Time will tell, but it seems like a nice change from the typical Navy SEAL calisthenics. And a good supplement to the run/ruck/swim I normally do in a week.

In the meantime, I'll keep googling and pushing.

The Dave
10-09-2005, 21:08
I've been messing around with hindu pushups, squats, and back bridges. And I'm curious if anyone has come across any videos online. So I can check my form. Time will tell, but it seems like a nice change from the typical Navy SEAL calisthenics. And a good supplement to the run/ruck/swim I normally do in a week.

In the meantime, I'll keep googling and pushing.

Google should bring you right to them...brought me to them. May not be Fury performing them, but they're out there.

10-10-2005, 10:45
I've been messing around with hindu pushups, squats, and back bridges. And I'm curious if anyone has come across any videos online.

Hindu push-up (http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/HinduPU.gif) and
Hindu squat. (http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/HinduSquat.gif)

ender
10-10-2005, 11:28
Awesome, that was exactly what I was trying to find. Thankyou.

Edited to say: If anyone clicks on those links do some reading on the forum... And I found watching the cute blonde chick do hindu pushups REALLY distracting.

NousDefionsDoc
10-10-2005, 13:37
Hindu push-up (http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/HinduPU.gif) and
Hindu squat. (http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/HinduSquat.gif)
That's Peterson Dude I think.

10-10-2005, 16:48
That's Peterson Dude I think.

Indeed it is.:cool:

Razor
10-10-2005, 18:20
Somebody please tell Peterson Dude to put some damned clothes on and re-record the other exercises demos, for the love of God! :eek:

Ken Brock
10-30-2005, 20:03
I used to think weightlifting was the answer but then I injured my rotator cuff last year.

I stopped lifting weights completely and started using the bodyweight excercises. I have the book by Peterson and have been using it for over a year.

One day I do the stuff from the book (hindu push-ups, squats, inverted push-ups, etc)

and the next day I do my pull-ups, ab work, as well as use the Chest Expander from www.lifeline-usa.com

I also have a Power Push-Up 2 from lifeline usa to add resistance to regular push ups

My shoulder hasn't given me any problems in several months and I feel stronger and better than I did when lifting weights. I really wish I had started using this stuff sooner than I did.

I had a set of kettlebells and they give a good workout. I like the other stuff better though, so I sold them to a buddy

krader
11-04-2005, 23:31
I was just looking thru all the posts on this subject and saw a link for a combat yoga video. I am not sure what made me decide to look into yoga about 9 months ago but I am very glad I did. The first real resource I looked at was the book Real Men Do Yoga. It kinda catches the eye as most guys don't expect to see that as a yoga title and the fact that it has NFL running back and yoga enthusist Eddie George on the cover. I followed the workouts in the back of this book and have been pleasently suprised. What I have found is increased flexibility, increased balance, decreased recovery time, increased breath awareness as well as some strengthening :lifter endurance type stuff I didn't expect. Yoga is alot of stretching, relaxing etc, but one of the keys is getting the position right, that can take work. Not like squating 200 lbs 25 times or running 10 miles work, but a more subtle increased bloodflow to the body parts being used and streched work. This fact for me is a big one, somedays after the previous days workout or stress or whatever it is easy to feel beat up and worn down, I have NEVER had yoga not do the trick in bringing me relief. EVERY time after I was done I felt 100% better then when I started. Sore muscles/feet disappear, headaches are gone, tight shoulders are loose, sore backs are warmed up, stretched and feel good as new. I just made it sound like a miracle cure, it isn't but as I said I have never been dissapointed with the results. I try to do yoga 3 days a week, I would do it everyday if I had the time. When the basic moves get to easy their are always the balances on the hands and single leg to make things more interesting. I guess I will wrap this up by saying if you haven't given it a shot, go for it. For those folks who don't want to be seen doing it in a public setting the local library usually has plenty of DVD's and books. I reccomend the book I mentioned earlier. I also enjoyed Rodney Yee's Power Yoga Total Body DVD it is an hour though and might be a bit much for the beginner as far as getting sick of it before the hours up, if you have never done it before. Former Vietnam era Marine Geo Takoma has a book on netlibrary.com called the complete idiots guide to power yoga. Otherwise there are tons of resources our there.

A none yoga link I don't think I have seen on here yet is www.beastskills.com
the guy is a gymnast who post tutorials about how to build up to certain moves included is the the one arm weighted pull/chin up.

take care and stay safe all

krader

krader
11-24-2005, 09:46
Happy Thanksgiving all.

Here is another good workout site link to check out. The site for the most part looks as if it is run by Mark Twight, as all the articles are written by him. It has some great vids of their workouts as well.

www.gymjones.com

Krader

catd11r
11-28-2005, 12:00
Good afternoon sirs. I have been doing Mr. Fuery's Hindu push ups,squats, and bridges and find they are working well for myself. They are different from any thing I,ve done before. Have a great day!

JGarcia
01-12-2006, 00:05
Crossfit is a vomit inducing workout. Brings meaning to the phrase "weakness leaving the body." They've got a t-shirt that reads, "Crossfit, Smoke you like cheap crack." I thought it was funny.

NousDefionsDoc
02-12-2006, 18:39
http://redwhiteandbluefitness.com/Home.html

I bought three of Ross Enamait's books: Infinite Intensity, Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness and Ultimate Training for the Ultimate Warrior. Excellent material is all of them.

The Dave
02-13-2006, 10:44
http://redwhiteandbluefitness.com/Home.html

I bought three of Ross Enamait's books: Infinite Intensity, Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness and Ultimate Training for the Ultimate Warrior. Excellent material is all of them.

Thanks for the link NDD! Lots of cool stuff on the page, should keep me busy today. Still need some damn kettlebells. Will also check out a book or two you listed.

EDIT: Found this funny little thing on here, which I hear from some of my friends quite a bit:

Dude 1: Hey that guy over there is pretty big.

Dude 2: Ya I bet he can bench like 400 pounds.

Dude 1: So what are we going to do today?

Dude 2: I dunno, how bout chest and bis?

Dude 1: Ok, let’s do it.

Dude 2: Let’s go real intense today. I wanna be so sore tomorrow I can’t move.

Dude 1: Ya gotta have a good pump for the club tonight.

krader
02-23-2006, 19:01
http://www.warriorforce.com/newsletter/warriorwire13.htm

Got a new video with some cool new moves, like the lawnmower wheel roll out.

krader

See2
02-26-2006, 13:40
Guys - re: Pushing yourself to power, etc.: I was born without a pec on the left side (major, I have the minor). Now, with things like the Hindu pushup and such, it seems like this requires a relatively strong chest to do - and even starting out, having both muscles helps even if you can only do one.

With me, my right pec takes up its slack, but my left arm and shoulder are doing the work for my left side. I usually do chest on a Smith bench in the gym, just so, if the left arm gives out (which it frequently does), I don't drop the bar on myself.

I guess this is a roundabout way of asking if I should bother with bodyweight exercises. They sound really interesting to me, and I know people who do them, and rave about it. I'm just thinking that, without the pec on the left side, maybe I should stick to the Smith bench... do any of you guys know anyone who has to compensate for muscle loss, and what types of workouts they do?

krader
02-26-2006, 20:38
I don't know what to tell you other then there is a bit of inspiration in the fact that Tra Telligman the MMA fighter only has one pec as well. I think you was in a car accident when he was young. I would say go ahead and give bodyweight stuff a try as long as you don't feel like you are hurting yourself when you are doing it and have a soft surface you are working out on.

krader

Razor
02-27-2006, 09:18
See2, a very good friend of mine was also born without a pectoralis major on one side. I first met him while we were both attending SFAS, as ranger-qualified infantry lieutenants. He was in the running for the Ironman (best PT score) award at the Infantry Officer's Advance Course, was the #2 officer graduate of the SFQC, served several years in an SFG, and has since moved on to even more opportunities to hunt down the enemies of our country. I say this to show that missing a pec hasn't slowed him down a bit, so if you want to give the body weight only exercises a shot, go for it, and see what your mind will allow you to do, as our bodies tend to be pessimistic quitters at the core.

See2
02-28-2006, 10:42
See2, a very good friend of mine was also born without a pectoralis major on one side. I first met him while we were both attending SFAS, as ranger-qualified infantry lieutenants. He was in the running for the Ironman (best PT score) award at the Infantry Officer's Advance Course, was the #2 officer graduate of the SFQC, served several years in an SFG, and has since moved on to even more opportunities to hunt down the enemies of our country. I say this to show that missing a pec hasn't slowed him down a bit, so if you want to give the body weight only exercises a shot, go for it, and see what your mind will allow you to do, as our bodies tend to be pessimistic quitters at the core.

Daaamn. OK, if THAT isn't a motivator, I don't know what the hell is. Thanks, Razor! I'll buy that damn book today!

booker
03-13-2006, 19:45
Razor's story should be inspiration to all of us with or without all the correct anatomical parts.

bosljeff
03-13-2006, 21:51

Holy Shit. I will forever remember that when I feel the slightest urge to whine or quit. Thanks for the inspirational stories.

MtnGoat
04-06-2006, 11:57
[QUOTE=See2]I was born without a pec on the left side (major, I have the minor). Now, with things like the Hindu pushup and such, it seems like this requires a relatively strong chest to do - and even starting out, having both muscles helps even if you can only do one.

With me, my right pec takes up its slack, but my left arm and shoulder are doing the work for my left side. I usually do chest on a Smith bench in the gym, just so, if the left arm gives out (which it frequently does), I don't drop the bar on myself. [QUOTE]

See2 - Check these out :lifter

I found this while trolling on a body building site and found this.

Check these PIX out. His name is OBYDENNOV ALEXSEY, 29 y/o, lives in Russia. Absolutely Amazing! A true inspiration to athletes and bodybuilders everywhere. I thought for the ones that had the chest problems and can't use body parts for so reason or another.
Alexsey, I commend his on the outstanding development of his physique despite his physical limitations.

It just goes to show, if you have the will to succeed you will find a way to work around your limitations.He CAN'T train his right-hand and left-hand restrictedly.

The heat!!! :lifter

MtnGoat
04-06-2006, 12:20
FORGOT TO POST THESE

jatx
04-06-2006, 12:28
Very very interesting. I would be interested to know more about his routine, it could be useful for those like myself who are trying to maintain upper body strength while healing from hand/wrist/arm injuries. Any links? :)

MtnGoat
04-06-2006, 12:43
Very very interesting. I would be interested to know more about his routine, it could be useful for those like myself who are trying to maintain upper body strength while healing from hand/wrist/arm injuries. Any links? :)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=523356&highlight=russian

krader
07-16-2006, 17:03
Thought this looked interesting. I haven't been doing much yoga as of late. EDT ala Charles Staley is what I have been doing. Its a good quick time. Anyway here is the yoga link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060716/ap_on_he_me/fitness_military_yoga

krader