PDA

View Full Version : Roto cuff injury

Penn
01-12-2009, 12:28
What can I do for a roto cuff injury? Pain level 6-7, Thanking you in advance for your time.

alright4u
01-12-2009, 12:42
What can I do for a roto cuff injury? Pain level 6-7, Thanking you in advance for your time.

Tough it out or see MD.

Penn
01-12-2009, 13:58
The question was: what can be done for a roto cuff injury...it was not about what can be done for pain. The pain and relative scale was inserted so that you could asses the extent of the injury, if thats possible to do by such a scale.
Additionally, the thread is about sick call, it is not; let me have someone tell me to deal with it or see a Doc....if you have nothing of value to give to a sincere question, why post a reply at all????????

Red Flag 1
01-12-2009, 14:44
if it worth saying, it will be quoted.

2018commo
01-12-2009, 15:13
Chef,
From the patient perspective: My injury was caused by falling from a ladder and I was left hanging from the joists between my attic hatch. The Ortho skipped PT up front based on pain level and operated on left, (both sides hurt). Operation was out patient recovery was not so bad. I was religious with the PT and believed it paid off. PT focused on both shoulders and I am stronger now than pre injury. The doc cleaned up bone spurs and lots of old scar tissue, consistent with lots of ruck sack, and construction use. I was back to work in four days, due to a AAA audit I needed to stand for. I was 100% within a year of the surgery. The Docs on the site are great, just thought a patient’s view would be helpful.

Eagle5US
01-12-2009, 17:22
Chef,

There are a number of options. Initially your Doc may prescribe physical therapy. The real question is "which part" of your rotator cuff is torn. There are four different components that make up the cuff and then the "labrum" which helps it all glide around together.

Initial options may include an MRI to assist in diagnosing exactly what your problem is. Afterwards, surgery (if warranted) may be either arthroscopic (3 holes with cameras and tools and such) or open - big ugly scar.
I have had both (one on each shoulder) after my rotator cuff tears progressed into an impingement syndrome. I was unable to throw a ball, reach over my head, sleep lying on my shoulder etc.
In my case - big ugly scar surgery had better results than three hole surgery - that being said they were done by different surgeons so there is also that to consider:D
Post op rehab was about 6-8 weeks until I was doing most things again.

Good luck with your diagnostics and therapy / rehab. Pain sucks. Chronic pain suck worse.

Eagle

alright4u
01-12-2009, 17:32
The question was: what can be done for a roto cuff injury...it was not about what can be done for pain. The pain and relative scale was inserted so that you could asses the extent of the injury, if thats possible to do by such a scale.
Additionally, the thread is about sick call, it is not; let me have someone tell me to deal with it or see a Doc....if you have nothing of value to give to a sincere question, why post a reply at all????????

I gave you an honest answer. A pain level of 10 to me is a 12.7 mm in the hip.

SRGross
01-13-2009, 08:25
I have a couple of questions for you, since I am in the same boat, but mine was caused my bullet.

Are you on Active Duty?
If not are you with the VA?
If so 2 things, do not let the Fayetteville, VA do any surgical on your shoulder, it is not that they are good or not, it is you can be consulted to UNC Chapel Hill Sports Medicine like I was, they are very good. if you are on Active duty and in the Ft Bragg area, I know of an excellent docotor that will steer you in the right direction, she happens to be my wife:cool:and she is very Pro SF.,
feel free to PM me if you are local and I will see what I can do.

Red Flag 1
01-14-2009, 15:59

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-14-2009, 17:53
The best is to see an MD and get evaluated and course of action. This will more than likely be surgery followed by very light range of motion within the limits of the post surgical protocols for different surgerys. Soft tissue healing is about 8 to 12 weeks, at which time you will start light exercise in 6 different directions of the shoulder. Your Pain and strength will be followed and exercise will progress keeping pain down to a minimum. At Ft Campbell we used to start Blitzing the shoulder after 10 -12 weeks and rehab time was fast. You will not get the blitz at Ft Bragg or any where else. Total time for Good recovery about 6 months. Blitzzz

Penn
01-15-2009, 06:39
To all, Thanks for the info. Will see an ortho today, had to delay for personal reasons.
For those who will or who have had a cuff pull, there is no home remedy for this injury. Again, Tx to all.d

Mizzou
02-16-2009, 16:28
My question also relates to shoulder injuries; didn't want to start a new thread unnecessarily.

I had surgery on my shoulder ten days ago (6 FEB). It consisted of a biceps tenodesis with screws, not sutures, done openly, and a decompression done arthroscopically. I had a nerve block done, and I still have some numbness in my hand. I have the "slept on my arm" feeling constantly. It improved for approximately three days post-op, then plateaued. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of situation? Thanks!

Mizzou

Red Flag 1
02-16-2009, 16:46

Mizzou
02-16-2009, 16:53
It was a scaline block.

-Mizzou

Red Flag 1
02-16-2009, 16:57

Mizzou
02-16-2009, 17:02
RF 1-

Thanks! I appreciate the prompt reply.

-Mizzou

JJ_BPK
02-16-2009, 17:43

Penn

You can have my spare.. It needs a chip,, but otherwise GtG..

I hope it all works out,, take care..

Red Flag 1
02-16-2009, 18:13

JJ_BPK
02-16-2009, 18:27
Of course you know that you are still a sick puppy!:D RF 1

A very sympathetic sick puppy,, if you don't mind..

My orthopedic has been threating me for years.. wants to do my hip..

Penn,, If you have to have it cut,,

Think about all the cute nurses you can TRY to grab... :lifter:D

Penn
02-16-2009, 19:46
Won't do me any good with All those RN's and me on a left handed diet

madeinengland
03-15-2009, 17:44
Here's some thread's from another forum I have found invaluable.

Whether you have sorted your problem or not, these may be useful for someone else.

The Complete Shoulder and RC Injury Article
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968

Internal Rotator Cuff Exercise Discussion
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=885752

Supraspinatus Tendonitis
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=879601