PDA

View Full Version : I was a poser

Divemaster
11-03-2008, 03:00
When I was in the 18B course (SFQC 6-88), there was a SWC instructor selling t-shirts and sweat shirts with designs for each of the Phase 2 courses. Of course, many of us young studs bought apparel with our soon to be earned MOS's. Long story short, I graduated and enroute from Bragg to Ft. Lewis I stopped near Denver to visit me dear old mum.

Mom wasn't the party Cossack I was at 25, so one night I headed out on my own..wearing my new 18B sweat shirt. I haven't been that stupid since the day after graduating Ranger school. So...there I was in a suburban bar wearing my badass 18B sweatshirt. Next thing I know, some old fart of at least 40 (I'm 45 now) is in my face saying he's going to kick my ass for posing as an SF guy. Now, at this time I wasn't familiar with the term Quiet Professional. But then, neither was this guy. He said he was a Vietnam SEAL.

My protests of having just finished the course and actually earning the 18B MOS fell on deaf ears. He (the "SEAL") had a friend on hand who pulled him away before it came to blows.

And that's the story of how a SEAL taught me how to be a QP.

CPTAUSRET
11-03-2008, 08:04
When I was in the 18B course (SFQC 6-88), there was a SWC instructor selling t-shirts and sweat shirts with designs for each of the Phase 2 courses. Of course, many of us young studs bought apparel with our soon to be earned MOS's. Long story short, I graduated and enroute from Bragg to Ft. Lewis I stopped near Denver to visit me dear old mum.

Mom wasn't the party Cossack I was at 25, so one night I headed out on my own..wearing my new 18B sweat shirt. I haven't been that stupid since the day after graduating Ranger school. So...there I was in a suburban bar wearing my badass 18B sweatshirt. Next thing I know, some old fart of at least 40 (I'm 45 now) is in my face saying he's going to kick my ass for posing as an SF guy. Now, at this time I wasn't familiar with the term Quiet Professional. But then, neither was this guy. He said he was a Vietnam SEAL.

My protests of having just finished the course and actually earning the 18B MOS fell on deaf ears. He (the "SEAL") had a friend on hand who pulled him away before it came to blows.

And that's the story of how a SEAL taught me how to be a QP.

Good story!

Richard
11-03-2008, 09:36
Reminds me of a 'poser' we dealt with while attending 300-F1 at FSH in 1971.

We were billeted in G Company in two of the wooden WW2 era barracks, and one floor of one of the barracks was shared with legs attending the X-Ray Tech program.

One Saturday as a couple of us were going out for a morning run (in plain white t-shirts with our last name and rank stenciled on the front and the Army's white PT shorts with an OD name tape sewn to the left leg), a new guy in Class A uniform was reporting in for the X-Ray Tech school. Noticing the novice jump wings on his uniform, one of the guys asked about Airborne School and the newbie started talking about being in Delta Company (Note-they were numbered then) and making jumps from aircraft which nobody jumped from. :rolleyes:

With our BS meters pegged in the red and smoking :mad:, we 'helped' the guy get his five jumps--off the aluminum emergency exit platform from the second story of the barracks to which he'd been assigned--and then gave him 'blood wings' with all of us taking a turn in 'pinning' them to his chest. He went to the 1SG and wanted action taken against us, but the 1SG was an old Airborne medic and he 'took action' by buying the keg of Pearl beer for us to consume during our next Saturday morning GI party. :p

The kid was removed from the X-Ray Tech school and sent off to some unit somewhere as a 91A.

Richard's $.02 :munchin