PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Stomping Art

NousDefionsDoc
05-30-2004, 13:30
SF gallery owner becomes target after showcasing painting of Iraqi prisoner abuse
- LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer
Saturday, May 29, 2004

(05-29) 14:49 PDT SAN FRANCISCO (AP) --

After displaying a painting of U.S. soldiers torturing Iraqi prisoners, a San Francisco gallery owner bears a painful reminder of the nations unresolved anguish over the incidents at Abu Ghraib -- a black eye and bloodied brow delivered by an unknown assailant who apparently objected to the art work.

The assault outside the Capobianco gallery in the citys North Beach district Thursday night was the worst, but only the latest in a string of verbal and physical attacks that have directed at owner Lori Haigh since the painting, titled "Abuse," was installed there on May 16.

Last Wednesday, concerned for the safety of her two children, ages 14 and 4, who often accompanied her to work, Haigh decided to close the gallery indefinitely.

Painted by Berkeley artist Guy Colwell, "Abuse," the painting at the center of the controversy, depicts three U.S. soldiers leering at a group of naked men in hoods with wires connected to their bodies. The one in the foreground has a blood-spattered American flag patch on his uniform. In the background, a soldier in sunglasses guards a blindfolded woman.

More:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/05/29/state1749EDT0067.DTL&type=printable

Sigi
05-30-2004, 14:34
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

Painted by Berkeley artist Guy Colwell, "Abuse," the painting at the center of the controversy, depicts three U.S. soldiers leering at a group of naked men in hoods with wires connected to their bodies.
The real pictures were not enough of a depiction of what has become a dark spot on our humanitarian record. We actually need an artist to give her rendition of the events. (Not that I shed one tear for the prisoners.)

I don't get it. What is she trying to say - artists are always trying to say something - with this "art?" I wonder if she was approached by al-jazeera. :rolleyes:

a San Francisco gallery owner bears a painful reminder of the nations unresolved anguish over the incidents at Abu Ghraib
I think the anger is directed at the needless exploitation of our mistakes at the hands of ultra-liberals who do not represent the mainstream American.

This is almost as bad as Nancy Pelosi on Meet the Press this morning. Almost. I try to listen to the extreme left, but I had to turn her off after 3 seconds.

NousDefionsDoc
05-30-2004, 14:41
I think she was trying to say "I need to pay my rent and this is the most contreversial theme today - should be able to get some good duckies for this. "

Sigi
05-30-2004, 15:05
I am sure the publicity doesn't hurt.

NousDefionsDoc
05-30-2004, 15:09
Originally posted by Sigi
I am sure the publicity doesn't hurt.

Looks like it might have hurt a little and the swelling can't be pleasant.

Sigi
05-30-2004, 15:17
LMAO.

Solid
05-30-2004, 15:50
Marx wrote the Communist Manifesto because he was out of money and he couldn't get a job for the Times in NYC.
Ockam's razor.

Sdiver
05-30-2004, 16:08
Originally posted by Solid
Marx wrote the Communist Manifesto because he was out of money and he couldn't get a job for the Times in NYC.
Ockam's razor.

So then you mean, that if this artist where to say.....get "Monkey Stomped" real good, that she wasn't breathing no more....her work might be worth something?

Either that, or her "friends" gave her the shinner and made the phone calls to her, just so she could get some publicity.

BTW....the "artist" got the flag on the solider in the foreground, facing the wrong way. I wish when these lib's want to bash this country and our troops, that they at least get their facts right.

Pandora
05-30-2004, 19:30
BTW....the "artist" got the flag on the solider in the foreground, facing the wrong way. I wish when these lib's want to bash this country and our troops, that they at least get their facts right.

Or was this deliberate?

This is no more "art" than it was when flashed across the nbc, fox or cnn screens.

I am hardly an art maven, but I can appreciate the surrealism of Dali or Picasso in a gallery in way I will never accept the skewed "realism" of these depictions hanging where soldiers are born.

She bought her ticket.

Solid
05-31-2004, 02:24
:D That isn't skewed realism... it's just bad drawing...

Solid, Cromagnon Man

Bill Harsey
05-31-2004, 07:37
I think somebody has the gallery owner confused with the artist, two different people right? What the gallery owner has to do is re-open the gallery and record her next assault with video then become a rich and famous victim, the media would love it because it could, once again, showcase their portfolio of images that inspired the "abuse" painting. Nancy Pelosi? I watched all of that...she didn't answer a single question Tim Russert asked her, just kept the ol' auto drive mouth going. NEVER ONCE (in case someone missed it the first time...) did she answer the question asked! Russert also never took her to task for this. Someones going to have to talk with R.L. about his representation down there.

Sigi
05-31-2004, 09:13
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Nancy Pelosi? I watched all of that...she didn't answer a single question Tim Russert asked her, just kept the ol' auto drive mouth going. NEVER ONCE (in case someone missed it the first time...) did she answer the question asked! Russert also never took her to task for this. Someones going to have to talk with R.L. about his representation down there.
You're right. That's why I turned it off because she failed to answer ANY questions. When he wasked her about the troops and how her comments affect them she never answered the question, but said something about "our responsibility to the troops." Yeah, ok. I wonder how many of the troops are glad she is running her suck. :rolleyes:

That's when I turned her off. And Tim was letting her get away with every non-answer to the questions.

Bill Harsey
05-31-2004, 09:21
Sigi, Your right about Russert! He flew his true colors that time, if that had been a Republican sitting across from him Russert would have fried the person for "non-answers" like he got from Pelosi.

Gypsy
05-31-2004, 10:22
It disgusts me how Russert and many others seem to let these people "fillabuster" instead of pressing them to answer the damn question. Pelosi is...well I can't say it in polite company.

I'd like to send her an excerpt of a letter I received from a Soldier yesterday....

"When the politicians of the United States start with all the finger pointing and the he said, she said routine, it does nothing but erode and degrade the morale of those serving. If the very people who sent the military to go fight cannot even take responsibility for how we got here to begin with, why should the soldier on the ground continue to fight? To the average Joe in theatre, seeing this calamity on the television is betrayal on the grandest and grossest of scales. It is almost criminal."

The Reaper
05-31-2004, 10:52
Originally posted by Gypsy
It disgusts me how Russert and many others seem to let these people "fillabuster" instead of pressing them to answer the damn question. Pelosi is...well I can't say it in polite company.

Oh, but Russert does badger and interrogate some of his guests.

Just the conservative ones.

The Dems get to use it as a bully pulpit.

Concur on your unstated opinion of Pelosi.

TR

Gypsy
05-31-2004, 10:57
Originally posted by The Reaper
Oh, but Russert does badger and interrogate some of his guests.

Just the conservative ones.

The Dems get to use it as a bully pulpit.

Concur on your unstated opinion of Pelosi.

TR

Good points Sir. You should see what he had to say about the 9/11 commission. Actually since most of it was posted in an article by a gopusa.com columnist (that I posted in another thread here) I'll go ahead and share that as well....

"I was down at the chow hall here in Baghdad one night, when the 9-11 commission was in session and being aired on CNN. After one of the sessions had finished for that day, CNN had a panel of “experts” on that were being interviewed by the newscasters. The whole question of whether or not we should be in Iraq came up. One of the members being interviewed immediately started slamming the president and his decision to go into Iraq. The crux of the argument was that it was a mistake and that we should not be in Iraq at all. While this debate began to unfold, I looked around the chow hall. I work in field with many type A patriots that are considered to be some of the best in the world at what they do. At first, almost all conversation ceased. Then people started synthesizing what was being said. A lot of grumbling started. Some people started yelling at the TV. Others got so upset that they got up, swore at the television and walked right out of the chow hall. These are consummate military professionals who have served the United States loyally for years. Is this the thanks they should get? Is this how we treat those that support and defend the American way of life? I sat there and watched helplessly as the “experts” in America played Monday morning Commander-in-Chief and dealt a series of crushing blows to the morale of America’s military. When it comes right down to it, the service member feels betrayed by the very society that sent them to fight. The service members of United States have enough to worry about on a daily basis, they sure as hell do not need to be worrying about whether or not the folks that decided to send the military actually support them."

And finally:

"At this difficult time we all need to support one another. The people of America need to support the leaders that were elected to office. The politicians need to unite and show this unity to the people that put them in office. The senate and congress need to get behind their elected president and support him to the best of their ability. Lastly, the government and people of the United States need to continue to support the service members that serve in harm’s way on a daily basis. “One team, one fight.” In the end, we are all in it together. We are Americans, and we don’t lose!"

DunbarFC
05-31-2004, 13:10
Well there is some controversy about Pelosi's appearance with Russsert - apparently she either started to cry because he was too tough, or the bright lights made her eyes tear up

I'd hope for the former but anything that could cause her embarassment is fine with me

Bill Harsey
05-31-2004, 17:19
Pelosi's eyes teared up because she got caught up in how important she sounded while making her statement. I watched that unfold real careful. She'd make a very good actress both because of her dramatic skills and political beliefs. Someone tell Roguish Lawyer to quit sending her money.

DoctorDoom
06-03-2004, 05:16
x

Solid
06-03-2004, 07:49
My comments were directed at the art, not the abuse of the gallery owner. Here in London, where galleries regularly hang extremely explicit art, it is the artist who is criticized, not the owner. Right or wrong, this view has rubbed off on me.

Solid