PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunt

abc_123
05-19-2008, 19:56
My boy (10yr old) and I just got back from a hog hunt in the coastal reaion of GA, south of Savannah (Mcintosh County). We hunted a couple of days on the barrier islands and then one day inland. My boy speared two of them.. 150# and 175#. We had a no-shit 300+# hog give the dogs a slip. the hog that we took on st. catherins (sp?) island was from good russian blood... pure red.

The person that we hunted with is a pure and simple good 'ol boy... not big on fancy...but brothers, I can vouch for the fact that he hunts in areas were the hog sign is thick and in our case put us on the game. We had boat trouble one day and no questions asked, took us out an additional day so we could get an additional hog. The boy also got the chance to take a small one alive. (the guide takes them back to raise them). What a hoot!

(picture of my boy and the guide).. camera took a salt-water bath... will have to wait until the disposable cameras get developed for better pics.

Five-O
05-19-2008, 21:05
My team and I were just up FTIG in central PA for a few days of training. Each evening, once the training day ended we feasted on game meat. TX and GA wild boar burgers, sausage and tenderloins were fantastic-had Elk (killed in Montana) steaks and jerky as well. There was not a vegetable within 2 miles of us. Some of the best meat I have had. Congrats to you and your son-well done. Enjoy the meat and the memories.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-20-2008, 05:10
So, my wife was gazing out the kitchen window, waiting for the timer to signal the end of the cooking cycle for the pork roast in the oven, when the pitter patter and resonating snorting of these two critters echoed from the driveway. Now I am sure that these are not in the league of what you all were stalking, but hell when they come to you while you are cooking one of their kin who needs to go slogging around the swamp:D?

xollie316
07-24-2008, 17:26
deleted.

abc_123
07-24-2008, 22:32
Laughing... my.... butt off at the picture of those pigs :D

I've been reading on this site for too darn long without thinking about hog posting it seems.

Abc_123 what type of boys (dogs) did you bring out to get 'dem pigs'? Being in Southern California for almost 10 years is not conducive to hog hunting so I'll take any excuse to talk dogs and hogs....

I have no effing idea what kind of dogs they were. Dogs. I think they were a local mix of catahoula, staffordshire and some strain of BMC. all in unknown proportions. This good 'ole boy was rasing them in his yard (along with about 10 hogs).

COL M,

There must be a stupid breed of hogs up there in VT, because all I know is that I sprinted my ass off running after those dogs who were after the hogs.

Chris Cram
09-11-2008, 17:25
Ok... you shot him, you pack him...:lifter

Animal Oddities
In this photo released by Melynne Stone, Jamison Stone, 11, poses with a wild pig he killed near Delta, Ala., May 3, 2007. Stone's father said the hog weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9 feet 4 inches from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail....

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/popup?id=2205608&contentIndex=1&page=22&start=false