PDA

View Full Version : RIP SFC(ret) Bob Disharoon

mffjm8509
03-05-2008, 08:13
I received the following email this morning.

I served with Dish in both A/2/10 and SWCS. Another great loss to our community.

Rip Brother!

Yesterday, March 4th, SFC (ret.) Robert Charles Disharoon lost his battle with cancer. Bob was a gentle giant of a man and an accomplished Special Forces soldier. His 20 years of military service included stints in Liberia, Bosnia and Afghanistan and duty with ADA, C 1/10, ODA 042, SFAS Cadre, CA and ASOT Instructor. Bob Disharoon was the quiet professional, not loud, not forceful but strong and smart. Bob was my senior on 042 and very much a big brother to me. I remember fondly how he would roll his eyes, with straight face and sarcastic 'oh, brother' when he heard whatever latest genius idea myself and Patrick McNeal came up with. I also chuckle to think of how unlucky Bob had been to be trapped jumping with Patrick and I for a 3 day SR in Washington. He had a great sense of humor. On one excursion in the woods I kept pointing out bear markings to him and he would tell me I was wrong. Finally when we saw a bear he said it wasn't a bear but a big dog. He knew how this frustrated me and it was pretty funny, he never admitted it was a bear, not to this day. Thank you Bob, for your shining example of a soldier, a husband, a father and a friend, and I hope that we have been as valuable and dear in your life as you have been to us. Our hearts and prayers are with his wife Louise and son Michael in their time of loss.
De Oppresso Liber

The Reaper
03-05-2008, 08:17
I knew Dish from SFAS as well.

Always steady and reliable to do the right thing.

RIP, hermano.

Thank you for your service, and prayers out.

See you on the other side.

TR

Rogue
03-05-2008, 09:11
Rest in Peace, and thanks for a job well done.

jdl141
03-05-2008, 10:02
Thank you for your service and may God bless your family.

RIP Brother

SFS0AVN
03-05-2008, 12:19
RIP SFC Disharoon, Godspeed.

Goggles Pizano
03-05-2008, 12:37
Rest in peace SFC Disharoon.

vsvo
03-05-2008, 14:19
RIP SFC Disharoon

Red Flag 1
03-05-2008, 15:30
Rest in Peace SFC Disharoon.

RF 1

Defion69
03-05-2008, 15:43
RIP brother/QP.

jbour13
03-05-2008, 17:39
RIP SFC Disharoon

The Reaper
03-06-2008, 12:15
Nice website memorial.

RIP, hermano.

TR

SFC Robert Charles Disharoon

Sergeant First Class (ret.) Robert Charles Disharoon, 43, of Raeford, passed away March 4, 2008 as a result of complications related to melanoma. A memorial service will be held at The Church of the Apostles in Hope Mills followed by a military honors service at Fayetteville Memorial Cemetery. He will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery on April 1 at 11 am.

SFC Disharoon is survived by his wife Louise and son Michael. He is also survived by his parents Wilbur and Mary Disharoon of Washington, NC and three siblings, Diana Eastman of Monkton, MD; Mary Clark of Camden, DE; and Lawrence Disharoon of Davidson, MD.

Serving in the Army Special Forces for 20 years, SFC Disharoon was a recipient of the Bronze Star, the Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, the Army Achievement Medal, the Joint Unit Meritorious Unit Award, the Army Superior Unit Award, the National Defense Service Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, and the Armed Forces Service Medal in addition to numerous ribbons and badges.

A lover of all things Disney from a young age, SFC Disharoon attended the University of Florida and was an avid Florida Gators fan. He also enjoyed home improvement projects, model airplanes, scuba diving, travel, military history, especially the WW II era, orienteering, and golf.

A beloved husband, father, son and brother, Bob Disharoon was well known and respected by friends and family for his compassion, kindness, and gentility.

Visitation for SFC Robert Disharoon will be held at Rogers and Breece Funeral Home, 500 Ramsey Street, Fayetteville, NC 28301, from 6-8 pm on Friday. The memorial service will be held Saturday at 12 pm at The Church of the Apostles, 5605 Trade Street, Hope Mills, NC 28348 to be immediately followed by a military honors service at Fayetteville Memorial Cemetery, 2891 Gillespie Street, Fayetteville, NC 28306. In his honor and in lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial donations be made to The Church of the Apostles Vision Fund, P.O. Box 256, Hope Mills, NC 28348. A memorial website celebrating the life of SFC Robert Disharoon can be found at www.bobdisharoon.com.

SF_BHT
03-06-2008, 12:37
Rest in Peace SFC Disharoon.........

GANGSTER
03-06-2008, 13:10
Rest in Peace

azmg
03-06-2008, 13:15
RIP and thank you for your service. Prayers out to the family in a difficult time.

MtnGoat
03-07-2008, 19:26
RIP SFC Disharoon

Razor
03-07-2008, 20:04
Rest easy, brother.

Stras
03-24-2008, 11:04
Brothers,

I had the honor of attending Dish's memorial service. By my count (and no I didn't need to use my toes), there were at least 13 SF and CA warriors who were at either the viewing or memorial service accounting for every one of Dish's SF assignments from SFAS, SFQC, 10th SFG(A), 96th CA, SWC, through his retirement. Several of these warriors stood in the Honor Guard outside the funeral home and again during the memorial service as members of the Patriot Guard Riders.

The 7th SFG(A) Honor Guard NCOIC graduated the SFQC with Dish and I.

I had the special honor of presenting Dish's beret to his son Michael. I don't think I've ever had a more challenging task in my life.

Upon completion of the memorial service a toast was raised to Dish with German Schnapps.

While Dish is gone physically, he's still with us in our hearts and minds as we remember both the good and bad times we shared.

RIP Dish

Gypsy
03-24-2008, 17:29
Rest in Peace, SFC Disharoon. My condolences to all of you, and to the Disharoon family.

Rally044
11-21-2008, 11:09
Served in the same company with Dish in A-2-10. He always made me smile and would whomp me on the head when I called him Chewbacka. Rest in Peace brother, you will not be forgotten.

ODA 044

greenberetTFS
11-21-2008, 12:53
RIP, Warrior..........:(

HMass18Z
11-21-2008, 13:52
Rest in Peace Bob, you will be missed