PDA

View Full Version : ODA 371

KiloNovember
02-29-2008, 18:52
Anyone on or familiar with ODA 371 within the past five or six years will appreciate this.

His younger brother just got it yesterday.

(If this is inappropriate or a violation of OPSEC, please delete this thread/let me know so I can edit it)

Pete
02-29-2008, 20:19
Well, well.

Has "younger brother" been through SFAS yet or is ever thinking of if? Even Jump School could be interesting.

Nice art work but a little big for my taste.

KiloNovember
02-29-2008, 23:13
QP Pete:

He is in ROTC planning on branching Infantry (so Airborne and Ranger school, at minimum), and I think he should be able to (not speaking from experience, just based on research concerning what goes into the ROTC accessions process), considering his PT scores and GPA, which are both outstanding. I believe he said he doesn't know if he wants to try for SF.

Clarification: by no means is this me, I just happen to be friends with him. Sorry, should have been more clear in the OP.

Pete
03-01-2008, 05:58
If he joins the Army expect a lot of soldiers to look at his arm and then his shoulder. A few pointed questions will surely follow.

Any school with TACs will surely bring him individual attention.

The Reaper
03-01-2008, 08:34
If he joins the Army expect a lot of soldiers to look at his arm and then his shoulder. A few pointed questions will surely follow.

Any school with TACs will surely bring him individual attention.

I agree.

Good for a supplemental PT program though.

TR

swpa19
03-01-2008, 09:17
The artwork IS nice. And a tribute to his brother is commendable. But, who'se name is that above the beret? Ive seen other ROTC Kidettes with tatoos that advertised their intentions, and didnt branch their artwork.

The Reaper
03-01-2008, 09:31
The artwork IS nice. And a tribute to his brother is commendable. But, who'se name is that above the beret? Ive seen other ROTC Kidettes with tatoos that advertised their intentions, and didnt branch their artwork.

If you read the initial post, and still do not understand, you should probably stay out of this and let the QPs handle it.

TR

swpa19
03-01-2008, 18:11
My apologies to the Q.P.s.

austinsf
03-01-2008, 21:47
KiloNovember,

I don't want to read to much into this, but is this inquiry any relation to the following link? https://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141&highlight=paul+sweeney

Paul was a good friend of mine and an inspiration to a lot of us SF wannabe's: he was the first guy in our mech inf battalion to go to the Q course in a long time. We lost touch after he went to 3rd Group, and hearing the bad news was pretty tough.

If I'm way off, my apologies, but if this is the same family, please pass my best wishes on to his little brother. If he's anything like Paul, I'm sure he'll kick ass.

KiloNovember
03-02-2008, 09:48
austinsf:

I will pass on your best wishes.

CDRODA396
03-02-2008, 10:15
Pauly was a great human being and an awesome NCO and I think his brother's ink is a nice tribute to a Great American.

If honoring a Hero, especially a brother brings him a little additonal smoke it'll only make him stronger and strengthen the bond between to two. If he thinks he wants to quit, all he has to do is glance over to his forearm and be reminded Pauly never quit, if that's not enought motivation to drive on, then he's in the wrong line of work.

austinsf
03-02-2008, 10:48
CDRODA396,

I agree. While wearing that ink is bound to draw some undue attention, it is a great memorial for one hell of a SF NCO. Paul was about a year ahead of me in the pipeline, and wasn't around much by the time I got to Bragg. Not too much longer after that, we got word of his death. My best to his family and his fellow 3rd Group buddies, he's still missed.

KiloNovember, thanks for passing on my best wishes to Pauly's little brother. If he needs anything, let me know.

RB
03-02-2008, 13:58
Great tat and well done with great respect and intentions.

That changes 'unwanted attention' to 'wanted attention' and the 'bring the pain' mentality.

I hope the kid hits the pipeline and makes it.

Great tribute to his brother and much respect given!!

Warrior-Mentor
03-02-2008, 20:50
I disagree with some of the earlier comments. Anyone in a position to hand out smoke in those schools better be able to figure out what that tat means.

It shouldn't get him any slack, but it also shouldn't get him any scunion.

Regardless of his personal intentions, he has the right to wear it.

His brother paid the ultimate price.

If that's how he commemorates his brother...who can say anything about that?

MtnGoat
03-02-2008, 21:15
I disagree with some of the earlier comments. Anyone in a position to hand out smoke in those schools better be able to figure out what that tat means.

It shouldn't get him any slack, but it also shouldn't get him any scunion.

Regardless of his personal intentions, he has the right to wear it.

His brother paid the ultimate price.

If that's how he commemorates his brother...who can say anything about that?

WM -

I was thinking along these same line. Like Mom said - Think before you speak. Anyone that see's that Tat should get the meaning behind it.

Great way for a loveone to commemorate his bother or sister!! It makes him a better man in the long run. In more ways than one.

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2008, 22:08
I like it.

TangoSierra
03-03-2008, 23:25
I can assure you the tattoo was done only with the intention of commemorating a great man and brother who was and is the lead inspiration for everything the kid does.

MoonAngel
03-04-2008, 09:32
And what an inspiration! God bless them both.

Team Sergeant
03-04-2008, 09:47
I can assure you the tattoo was done only with the intention of commemorating a great man and brother who was and is the lead inspiration for everything the kid does.

We have no doubts as to your intent.

We just figure you're going to get a little extra "attention" from the Drill Sergeant sporting a Green Beret tat.;)

Team Sergeant

TangoSierra
03-04-2008, 12:59
Well the main thing that drives me to do anything that I do is the man my brother was, so I'll gladly take the smoking if that's what is required to commemorate his memory.

Team Sergeant
03-04-2008, 13:23
Well the main thing that drives me to do anything that I do is the man my brother was, so I'll gladly take the smoking if that's what is required to commemorate his memory.

Good attitude!
Your brother would be proud.

TS

The Reaper
03-04-2008, 13:51
We have no doubts as to your intent.

We just figure you're going to get a little extra "attention" from the Drill Sergeant sporting a Green Beret tat.;)

Team Sergeant

Officers don't have Drills.:D

TR

jatx
03-04-2008, 17:54
TangoSierra, I am very sorry about your brother. Good luck on your journey to become the sort of man that you aspire to be.

rltipton
07-18-2008, 12:21

It's a very nice tattoo and you should be proud of it. I knew Paul. His death was a severe blow to many. Godspeed to you TS.

JihadJilson
09-03-2008, 19:53
I knew Paul, and if I'm correct in my assumption I know you too Austin. If this guy is Pauly's brother, then by all means good on you. Pauly was a GREAT soldier, his death touched a lot of people. Nice tattoo, don't sweat the small stuff.

;)